Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetjack74
Topic Author

Nwaafa Chaos Event At SEA

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey everyone, we're having an informational picket at Sea-Tac Airport on saturday.
SEA PICKETING & LEAFLETING

As you are aware, we had a great decision handed to us today from Judge Gropper. We now have the right to conduct CHAOS. We need AT LEAST 12-14 people at all times on Saturday for our event. Bring the family, friends and neighbors...and your co-workers.

SEA CHAOS Picket and Leafleting

WHEN: Saturday August 19, 2006

TIME: 10:30am to 2:00pm (come for the whole time or an hour or two)

WHERE: SEA-TAC AIRPORT ticketing level in front of NWA ticket counters (between doors 15-17)

PLEASE RSVP: to either Maureen McGovern or Scott Woll (see below) so that we can assure we have the right amount of people at the right times.

We have picket signs, balloons and leaflets for you. If you already own a CHAOS T-shirt, wear it. If not, own your very own by purchasing one that day for $8.00 (proceeds go to offset CHAOS expenses, etc.)

And remember: We will NOT quietly submit to the terms that NWA has imposed on us. We are ready for a fight! NWA started it, we intend on finishing it!!

Call or email and RSVP today so we know we can count on you.

Maureen McGovern 253-241-0054 or 206-935-3059
[email protected]

Scott D. Woll 253-218-7524
[email protected]

Jay Hong 206-304-2489
[email protected]
Made from jets!

isitsafenow

RE: Nwaafa Chaos Event At SEA

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:41 pm

This is typical union rah-rah(been there-done that). Laughing, fun, cook outs
singing...
Then after the paychecks stop coming in, the playing stops.
My opinion, because I have been down this road is, the union is playing Russian roulette.
I believe this problem will be solved by AUG 25th but if not, some of those folks are going to have a tough Christmas.
I am already committed to NW travel over the Labor Day weekend but
I am looking to travel late Sept and mid OCT and will look to other carriers for times and prices.........and I am gold now and very close to qualifying for gold in 2007 with NW.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

swissy

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:55 pm

Ei, ei, ei

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 1):
singing...

Agree 100%, what do they think how much the passenger cares??? or how much do these F/A's care about other peoples labour dispute?????

My opinion, because I have been down this road is, the union is playing Russian roulette.

Agree, had my own short experience with it and it amazes me that still so many people fall for all that Union crap...........

Cheers,

MattRB

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
Bring the family, friends and neighbors

What is this, a BBQ? A picnic? Will their be donkey rides & balloons for the kids?

NWA FA's if you want to picket, fine. But at least have the balls to do it yourself, don't drag these people in needlessly. It's absolutely classless.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

FlyHoss

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:15 pm

singing...
Then after the paychecks stop coming in, the playing stops.
My opinion, because I have been down this road is, the union is playing Russian roulette

Did you read the thread-starter's post? Picketing, not striking.

Hey everyone, we're having an informational picket at Sea-Tac Airport on saturday.

IIRC, NWA F/As have said they won't strike before August 25th (as you noted, so why would the paychecks stop now?).

I do agree that any strike - at any company in any industry - can be akin to Russian Roulette.

[Edited 2006-08-18 16:18:38]
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

Chugach

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:08 am

I am already committed to NW travel over the Labor Day weekend but
I am looking to travel late Sept and mid OCT and will look to other carriers for times and prices

Same here. I had been planning on taking NW ANC-IAH in early October but decided to go with AS/CO instead.

isitsafenow

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 4):

I certainly did. That why I posted. You see, they are celebrating the right to strike. If the union and airline do not have a deal by Aug 25th, they probably will strike. The fun really starts if you are an F.A. Much grieve is spread if you an employee like an agent taking the brunt of unhappy pax because their flight isn't going or is delayed because there are no F.A.'s.
You can trust the agents are not going to want to come to work after the 25th if there is no deal with the F.A.'s. The pilots wont know which bird is going and which one isn't until ........its too late(last minute).
The unloaders will have a nice day because they load the flight, then unload the flight, re load and probably re unload.
Then there is the poor stupid passenger who only wants to get from point A to point B. Hes the REAL VICTIM here.
So ..there you have it. A strike that might happen and consequences.
safe

slider

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:33 am

Someone call Agent 99 and pass the word via the Cone of Silence.

CHAOS....what a riot.  rotfl 

ScarletHarlot

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:49 am

You're going to have interesting stories to tell at dinner on Saturday!  Smile

What do you guys hope to accomplish by this? Just make the passengers aware? Or is the intent to disrupt things?
But that was when I ruled the world

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:53 am

I'm not much for the union thisng either. I just want both sides to get back to the bargining table and get this thing settled. I voted for our last tentitive agreement. I'm onl supporting the union actvities to back the campaign in gettting the company back to the negotiating table.

Quoting Swissy (Reply 2):
Agree 100%, what do they think how much the passenger cares??? or how much do these F/A's care about other peoples labour dispute?????

They do care when they feel their trip to Florida could possibly be in jeopardy. They care.

Quoting MattRB (Reply 3):
NWA FA's if you want to picket, fine. But at least have the balls to do it yourself, don't drag these people in needlessly. It's absolutely classless.

No, it's supporting your fellow workers regardless of your politcal beliefs. I am not telling people to bring their families, I just cut and paste a banner

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 4):

Correct. This is just an informational picketing.

Quoting Chugach (Reply 5):
Same here. I had been planning on taking NW ANC-IAH in early October but decided to go with AS/CO instead.

See, it's working.

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 6):
You see, they are celebrating the right to strike.

Yes, a right.

If the union and airline do not have a deal by Aug 25th, they probably will strike.

Possibly, but unlikely. I do believe we'll have a deal by then. Since the judge ok'd our right to strike, the company will most likely come back to the bargining table. So I wouldn't really worry about it.

So ..there you have it. A strike that might happen and consequences.

I know what we're getting to. I'm only 9 years of seniority, so I hardly have very much to lose. The question is, do the ones at the top realise what the consequences are?
Made from jets!

Jonno

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:38 am

Shame on you. Passengers shell out good $ to fly NWA and you have a nice cozy little BBQ to tell them how unhappy you are, as they're worried about whether or not their carryon items are gonna be seized and whether or not they're gonna get blown up.

You do NOT have MY sympathy. Honestly, IF you don't like your job or its conditions, stop b*tching, quit, and let others try to do their best in your worn out shoes.

HAL

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting Jonno (Reply 10):
Honestly, IF you don't like your job or its conditions, stop b*tching, quit, and let others try to do their best in your worn out shoes.

I really have to try and not rip out the computer screen when I read things like this.

Are employees supposed to take everything that management dishes out? Or are we allowed to know what is actually going in in managment? There is so much more going on here than a bunch of flight attendants moaning about their pay scale. It is because these employees DO care so much about the airline and its customers that they are having such a fit.

Airline employees - more than at almost any other industry - have a deep connection to the company. It's mostly because of the enormous amount of time spent at the job and with their co-workers. Believe me, if someone doesn't like the job, then they never make it as far as their first anniversary (if they get in the door at all) with the company. I have spent enough time in the business to know that to a person, we all care about what goes on with our passengers. And it is because of that care that we get so mad at management when they treat us like so much crap off the street.

We have no problem when the company has financial problems taking our own hit in pay and benefits - that has been shown time and again, especially in the last few years. But when we are asked again and again for additional hits while mangement takes record bonuses, then we get mad. Because we are so involved with the business, we know what is going on financially with the airline. Unions have their own independent analysts that let us know what is really going on in the boardroom and in the accounting departments. We are not operating in the blind; if the airline is hurting, we help. But when it is only management greed and mishandling of the company for their own gain, we get mad. That is what this is about.

The decision to strike or create CHAOS is never taken lightly. We do know the disruptions it causes on our passengers and our own lives. But when it comes to a point of management not respecting us for the job we do while they line their own pockets, then as airline employees we do have the legal right to do what the NW flight attendants are planning. We know down to our core the problems it causes. But the effects on our lives and careers demand that the action is taken. Sometimes in the real world (believe it or not) management doesn't have the welfare of its employees topmost on its agenda, and so every person has the right to ensure a safe, fair, and liveable job. How it gets taken care of though is ultimately in the hands of the airline's management.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

Jonno

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:15 am

Hal, I'm sorry you wish to rip out your computer screen. But, seeing as you're gonna strike and bring the airline down anyways, do you think property damage is a good idea?

And the decision for pax to fly NWA over other carriers is what matters. I have been faced w/pay cuts and told to find alternate employment if I didn't like the conditions. My collegues and I didn't distribute leaflets in the streets to disinterested strangers.

I respectfully disagree with you and wish the best of luck in your future career, because it seems to me you're determined to bring NWA down.

TWFirst

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):
Are employees supposed to take everything that management dishes out?

In nearly every other industry, employees who don't like what management dishes out find another job. Do you disagree?

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):
And it is because of that care that we get so mad at management when they treat us like so much crap off the street.

TWO different unions negotiated two different TAs and presented them to the R&F. Why are you not holding the union management culpable?

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):
But when we are asked again and again for additional hits while mangement takes record bonuses, then we get mad.

If "record bonus" = highest bonus ever received by any individual member of management, please provide proof that any NW executive has received a record bonus in the last 2 years.

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):
Because we are so involved with the business, we know what is going on financially with the airline. Unions have their own independent analysts that let us know what is really going on in the boardroom and in the accounting departments.

I have yet to read that the AFA or APFA believe NW doesn't need the amount of cost savings NW says they do in order to survive and be competitive. The FA's position seems to be "take from another group, not us."

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):

We do know the disruptions it causes on our passengers and our own lives. But when it comes to a point of management not respecting us for the job we do while they line their own pockets, then as airline employees we do have the legal right to do what the NW flight attendants are planning.

Your "right" to stop working impinges upon the rights and lives of the innocent (namely customers), and you may have a legal right to do that, but the question is whether you have an ethical "right". In my book, you don't. If I have an issue with management, I take it up with management... I don't try to prevent my company's customers from doing business with the company and intentionally inconvenience them and alter their lives.

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):
Sometimes in the real world (believe it or not) management doesn't have the welfare of its employees topmost on its agenda, and so every person has the right to ensure a safe, fair, and liveable job.

Safe, yes. Fair and "livable" are more subjective. And it's no secret that employees are not topmost on management's agenda... what's topmost on management's agenda... and should be on all employees' agendas... is the shareholders. They are the owners of the company, and the company is in business to provide a return to them... NOT to provide a job for flight attendants, pilots, or anyone else.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Tan Flyr

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:46 am

Well, I can quickly guess the results of more than few days of CHAOS..the of NWA (my opinon) and the removal of a chunk of domestic capacity giving the rest of the carriers, particulary the legacy carriers, a great shot at a more rapid recovery to profitability.

So, I would guess there are a lot of laid off folks from UA,AA,DL,CO & US that wish you all the best in your new jobs.

HAL

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:53 am

First off, I am not a flight attendant, and I don't work for NWA. I do not know the details of what has or has not been presented to the AFA at Northwest, other than what I read in the news.

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 13):
Your "right" to stop working impinges upon the rights and lives of the innocent (namely customers), and you may have a legal right to do that, but the question is whether you have an ethical "right". In my book, you don't. If I have an issue with management, I take it up with management... I don't try to prevent my company's customers from doing business with the company and intentionally inconvenience them and alter their lives.

What do you call several years of negotiations with management? The AFA has taken jointly agreed-to cuts over and over again. This is about a unilateral imposition of a contract on the AFA using the cover of bankruptcy to do so. The judge just ruled that the company can not do this, but the company has not come back to the negotiating table yet, thus the job action.

And it's no secret that employees are not topmost on management's agenda... what's topmost on management's agenda... and should be on all employees' agendas... is the shareholders. They are the owners of the company, and the company is in business to provide a return to them... NOT to provide a job for flight attendants, pilots, or anyone else.

Wrong, wrong, a hundred times wrong. THAT is the attitude that has gotten so many airline managements into trouble. It is an EQUAL sharing of return for management, employees, customers, and shareholders that make the best companies work. The idea that 'it is only for the shareholders benefit and screw the employees if they don't like it' is archaic, outmoded, and worst of all, detrimental to those very shareholders accounts. Employees (especially at airlines) are shareholders in the best sense of the word, in that they have a vested interest in keeping the company solvent and viable.

So many times in this type of argument I have heard "If you don't like it there, leave". The problem is, we can't, without starting over at the bottom of the seniority list (and pay scale) at another airline. For pilots, mechanics, and F/A's, our experience, knowledge and ability are not portable from one company to the next, as they are for any other job at the airline. It is not a perfect system, but it is the system we have to deal with today.

I'm sure you will agree that the best return for the shareholders comes from a well run company that is a pleasant place to work. Hounding the employees with pay and work rule cuts and forcing them to take the burden of supporting management's bad decisions is not an atmosphere that cultivates a good working environment.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:41 am

Shame on you

Shame on you. Would you feel the same way if I was impugning or degrading your rights?

Passengers shell out good $ to fly NWA and you have a nice cozy little BBQ to tell them how unhappy you are, as they're worried about whether or not their carryon items are gonna be seized and whether or not they're gonna get blown up.

And we are the ones charged with it's safe operation. We're here to safe your ass, not kiss it. Show a little respect, this isn't a cookout Jonno. Don't attack us for doing what legally our right.

You do NOT have MY sympathy. Honestly, IF you don't like your job or its conditions, stop b*tching, quit, and let others try to do their best in your worn out shoes.

Honestly, if you don't like us exercising our free rights, if you want to live in a country where it's airline employees are shit on constantly, go live in Singapore where airline employees have no rights. Fair?

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):
Are employees supposed to take everything that management dishes out?

Obviously, the opinions on here say we are. But no, we deserve to be treated with respect. But i'm glad we're giving management a hard time. We've put up with their crap long enough.

Quoting HAL (Reply 11):
Or are we allowed to know what is actually going in in managment? There is so much more going on here than a bunch of flight attendants moaning about their pay scale. It is because these employees DO care so much about the airline and its customers that they are having such a fit.

The thing is, we're forced to be everything and anything to our passengers. The company is telling us we have to work harder, longer, and for less money, while grossly inflating the bleak financial outlook. The Northwest execs here stand to gain alot in pay, stock, and compensation when we emerge form bankruptcy. If we're being forced to work more, we should at least be paid accordingly.

Quoting Jonno (Reply 12):
But, seeing as you're gonna strike and bring the airline down anyways, do you think property damage is a good idea?

Firstly, HAL is not an NWA flight attendant, so he is not to be targeted. But speaking as an FA for NWA, we are standing up for what we believe we're entitled too, without being targeted for reprisal. This is our right, and this was confirmed by Judge Gropper. If you feel we're wrong, then le me know when your rights are being impugned, and I will be there calling you a baby, a wreck-less kook. Fair?

In nearly every other industry, employees who don't like what management dishes out find another job. Do you disagree?

Well, when you become indoctrinated into a job that you love, maybe you'll understand. This is a job, a profession that many of us feel passionate about and we take seriously. We want the best for the industry, And if you constantly cut the benefits, the pay, then you won't get quality people in the profession. We're fighting to keep what little job protections we have. And once it's gone, it's gone. And if we crumble under the pressure, than it won't be long before it happens at another carrier. We put a lot of hard work in building this company, and we need to keep that work going, but we're not going to sell-out to the company demand.

TWO different unions negotiated two different TAs and presented them to the R&F. Why are you not holding the union management culpable?

It was the PFAA that was our former union(APFA is American Airlines union). We did hold them accountable, we voted them out. We also held the AFA responsible when we voted the TA-2 down. Now what is needed, is for the AFA to bring the company back to the negotiating table and get this settled

I have yet to read that the AFA or APFA believe NW doesn't need the amount of cost savings NW says they do in order to survive and be competitive. The FA's position seems to be "take from another group, not us."

The information is trickling out day by day. And it's not really the dollar figure that we're most concerned. We, for one, want to get some of our work-rules back that were shown to hold no annual cost savings. There were several items in the term sheets that were of no cost savings at all, so why take them away.

Safe, yes. Fair and "livable" are more subjective. And it's no secret that employees are not topmost on management's agenda... what's topmost on management's agenda... and should be on all employees' agendas... is the shareholders. They are the owners of the company, and the company is in business to provide a return to them... NOT to provide a job for flight attendants, pilots, or anyone else.

No, but they are charged with the overall safety of it's employees as well as passengers. They don't have right to profit to endanger the welfare of it's employees. If they continue to make schedules that can be dangerous and unsafe, than what kind of airline is NWA good for. Would you want to fly on an airline where it's flight crews are over worked, and without sufficient rest? Are you saying you would feel safe flying on a carrier like that. These are some of the circumstances we're fighting for. We need to sleep, and 8 hours from block in/block out is not safe and sufficient. We're lobbying congress at the moment to have laws changed to protect us from being abused 16 hour duty days. The bottom line is, we don't want to strike. It is the last thing we want. But we have to hold the company accountable.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 8):
What do you guys hope to accomplish by this? Just make the passengers aware? Or is the intent to disrupt things?

This is just an informational picket, we're not going to block entrances for passengers or heckle anyone. This is just something for us to get the word out. Our aim is to force the company back to bargaining table.
Made from jets!

CXA330300

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:55 am

Good on you, NWAFAs! You have all my support. Not that I matter. But while managers have been coddled up in their cushy houses, you've been taking nice big loads of crap. Good for standing up! Time to cut someone elses salary:

THE BOARD's!
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:01 am

Hey everyone, we're having an informational picket at Sea-Tac Airport on Saturday.

Like I have said before picket strike if you want to its your right but when you want unemployment money from my tax dollars go _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ because you have caused your selves to be unemployed.

[Edited 2006-08-19 04:05:16]

swissy

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 15):
So many times in this type of argument I have heard "If you don't like it there, leave". The problem is, we can't, without starting over at the bottom of the seniority list (and pay scale) at another airline. For pilots, mechanics, and F/A's, our experience, knowledge and ability are not portable from one company to the next, as they are for any other job at the airline. It is not a perfect system, but it is the system we have to deal with today.

I always highly respect your posts and you brought a point up which is very unique in that industry and it was created by unions......... seniority and it created a problem within its self, you are stuck more or less with the airline you are working for if you have a reasonable amount (time) of seniority however
we all know in what kind of state some airlines are and no striking or protesting will help to solve the problem how to bring NWA back to black.

I always wondered myself how would a union run their airline???? I am tired like you about statements made "Management do not know what they are doing"
I am working in management within the industry and I call myself a pro and I know the NWA numbers do not lie no buts and ifs....

I am supposed to fly with NWA on Aug. 29 and I am not worried at all if sh..
hits the fan, well then I will fly AA, DL, CO,.........

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 9):
They do care when they feel their trip to Florida could possibly be in jeopardy. They care.

They do not care about the NWA F/A's, they care about their trip, thats all....

Cheers,

Gilligan

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:30 am

We are ready for a fight! NWA started it, we intend on finishing it!!

Perhaps they should be careful what they wish for, for it may come true.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

MSYtristar

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:44 am

NWA brought this on themselves in my opinion. They really don't give a rat's a$$ about their employees, so why should their employees give a rat's a$$ about NWA? Sure, it's a job, and that's all it is. Certainly there is no company pride or morale left.

The average paying passenger will get stuck in the middle of all of this, without question. That's just the way it goes. %$#& happens. Whoever has a ticket on the day NWA strikes, well, it would suck to be them. But life goes on, and at the end of the day, people will get to where they need to be, albeit late. They probably wouldn't choose to go NWA anymore (I don't know why anyone would anyway), but that's the ultimate answer to management's indifference.

I am behind the f/a's in terms of principle...in terms of what they believe is the right thing to do.

If the two sides can come to an agreement, great...less hassle for the public, one less thing for the hard working f/a's to worry about. If they can't...screw Northwest Airlines. They'll get what they deserve.

HAL

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Quoting Swissy (Reply 19):
I always highly respect your posts and you brought a point up which is very unique in that industry and it was created by unions......... seniority and it created a problem within its self, you are stuck more or less with the airline you are working for if you have a reasonable amount (time) of seniority however
we all know in what kind of state some airlines are and no striking or protesting will help to solve the problem how to bring NWA back to black.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You are right, the unions do cause a lot of problems. But it was the actions of management that forced the formation of unions in the first place.

For those of you saying it would hurt the paying passengers if the NW F/A's struck, you are right. What would they lose? Perhaps some time, perhaps a portion (or even all) of the value of their ticket. What would the flight attendants lose if their strike caused the airline to fold? Their careers, their livelihood, probably their retirement & pensions too. They know this, and are not doing it out of spite, but as a last desperate measure against a management group they feel is incompetent and out of touch with reality.

And finally this - do you think that a strike by F/A's at a healthy company would cause it to fold? Of course not - strikes like that have happened many times in the past with little ill effect. But when a company is in such horrible financial state that a strike could cause it to go under, it is obvious that there have been many, many miscalculations and missteps leading to that point. The F/A's wouldn't have brought the house down themselves, but would merely be the last step in a long, long downhill slide. To place the blame only on them is unfair and simply wrong.

HAL

TWFirst

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 22):
But it was the actions of management that forced the formation of unions in the first place.

Really? So when the original 15 year-old flight attendants were chained to the galley on the DC-3 and forced to work 18 hour days back in the 40's, that's why they decided to form a union? Is that why unions have tried their damndest to infiltrate DL, B6, etc... to liberate the oppressed from the evil big bosses?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

MalpensaSFO

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:33 pm

I never thought I would say this ......  checkmark  FULLY AGREED!

The one thing that I am boggled about is the way in which the NWA Flight Attendants and their respective unions have drug things out over so long of a period. If you are going to strike ... strike! Chaos does nothing, nothing at all. You dont force the airline to give you more money by wearing 1980's style Madonna inspired coloured t-shirts and singing like it is some sort of hippy love along. Striking forces the airline to put up or shut up. But as can be seen there has yet to be an airline in the U.S. that has not won out against the union in the past 5 years. Chaos and the actions therein are tired, and nothing more than retarded.

Again, knock off the prancing around threatening of a strike. Go on strike or shut up, it is as simpe as that. It seems that the Unions give in almost all of the time and live with very little more than they went in to bargain for.

Quoting HAL (Reply 15):
Wrong, wrong, a hundred times wrong. THAT is the attitude that has gotten so many airline managements into trouble.

checkmark  Right On!

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 23):
So when the original 15 year-old flight attendants were chained to the galley on the DC-3 and forced to work 18 hour days back in the 40's, that's why they decided to form a union?

That never happened, if it did post a link!

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 23):
Is that why unions have tried their damndest to infiltrate DL, B6, etc... to liberate the oppressed from the evil big bosses?

The Unions have become money hogs and have done little for any airline employee. In many cases all the unions have done is to protect the lazy ones that dont want to do their job. We would all be better off in the U.S. if we broke every last union.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 21):
NWA brought this on themselves in my opinion. They really don't give a rat's a$$ about their employees, so why should their employees give a rat's a$$ about NWA?

Well one reason would be they put years of service into a company to earn better pay and benefits even with the cuts. And when they have to take a entry level $18000 to $19000 job (if they get hired at their age!) the $35000 to $40000 they where making (after the cuts) at that horrible vile company they were working for before they caused themselves to lose their own jobs might not look so bad after all.

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 18):
Like I have said before picket strike if you want to its your right but when you want unemployment money from my tax dollars go _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ because you have caused your selves to be unemployed

Well, what you may not know, is that if we strike, and NWA goes out of business, we do not qualify for unemployment benefits. THe only ones that qualify would be the unions not on strike. So have no fear for your precious tax dollars. It is aved for other pork-barrel programmes.

They do not care about the NWA F/A's, they care about their trip, thats all....

Cheers,

No, but they do care about their flight leaving ontime or at all. So if passengers decide to book away, the threat tactic works.

,Cheers

Well, NWA's business model is already "in the black". We're only losing money because of the bankruptcy. The issue with us is to bring about the best possible contract while giving the company the financial savings that it needs. The company is only 6% away from swaying the vote in their favour. Or strike threats are a tactic for NWA get there backside in gear. And finally, I seriously doubt that we will strike. The union and the company will come up with something by the 24th or 25th. So just take a few deep breaths.
Made from jets!

MSYtristar

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:16 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 25):
Well one reason would be they put years of service into a company to earn better pay and benefits even with the cuts. And when they have to take a entry level $18000 to $19000 job (if they get hired at their age!) the $35000 to $40000 they where making (after the cuts) at that horrible vile company they were working for before they caused themselves to lose their own jobs might not look so bad after all

You'd be surpised how many people don't take that into consideration. At a couple of prior companies i've worked for, people left left and right to head off to greener pastures at a competing company, even if it involved a hefty pay/benefit cut. To each his/her own. I wish them luck...and I am behind them 100%.

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 26):
Well, what you may not know, is that if we strike, and NWA goes out of business, we do not qualify for unemployment benefits. The only ones that qualify would be the unions not on strike. So have no fear for your precious tax dollars. It is saved for other pork-barrel programmes.

Yes you might not "qualify" for benefits but I have seen many a time people like you like to preach this but when it comes down to brass tax the state gives in to shut you up when the money could be put to better use in pork-barrel programmes like are schools. After all you are choosing to lose your job and become a drain on the system.

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 28):
Yes you might not "qualify" for benefits but I have seen many a time people

And when the state catches up, they recoup these wages.

like you

You don't even know me, so you have nothing to compare me too. Move on.

to preach this but when it comes down to brass tax the state gives in to shut you up when the money could be put to better use in pork-barrel programmes like are schools.

I have never claimed unemployment(even when I did qualify), even when I was furloughed during the pilots strike in 1998, or during the SARS/Iraq war furlough in 2003(I took the voluntary furlough). I have a job with the Navy Reserves that can offer me fulltime work for a period of time should I need it.

After all you are choosing to lose your job and become a drain on the system.

I voted FOR the last tentative agreement. I didn't choose anything. But since I am part of the union, I have to honour he picket line should it happen. If I was to cross it, than I would probabaly not be able to work in this industry again. I can live with out NWA should we shut down. I'll just pack up my stuff and move on.
Made from jets!

tbear815

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:07 pm

If Jack and the rest don't realize, this thread is NOT going in your favor. It's about time we all realized that Unions are becoming dinosaurs. They were needed in the times of the "big bosses" and the general public was mostly un-educated. It was a matter of protection for the little worker.

Now with a public that is educated (or has access to education), the Unions are working for themselves. Your Union execs and staff are protecting their asses so they can collect your dues. They basically are stopping the rights of communication between the line staff and management.

IF management cares, there is no need for a Union. IF labor works with management (big call here - try to think for yourselves, employees), things can be achieved. It's all give and take. Hard analogy, but quite similar to a successful marriage.

Grow up gang. Don't upset a boatload of travelers. If I have to travel NW for an emergency (God help me, anyway), have no fear that it's one more strike against Union actions. We don't need them anymore. Get over it and work agressively and proactively with management. Think of all those dues you could save.

Jack, with your excellent trip reports, all this really makes me question whether you are pro-aviation or totally oblivious because of Union propaganda. Get over it. It wasn't the Union that let your girlfriend go to Japan with you - it was management. Don't become second rate. Act for yourselves!

And I don't need flaming anyone - just look at the consensus of this thread!  duck 

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 29):
have to honour he picket line should it happen.

NO you do not. I am a pilot and I would cross the line in a minute because I have a RESPONSIBILITY to pay my bills and provide for my family (if I had one. Single without kids is the way to be) and be a productive member of society. Your union is not looking out for your best interest and the NWA FA's are taking other peoples jobs in their hands by throwing there little fit because they can't have there way. I took a lot bigger pay cut being a pilot then any FA took and I am just happy I still have a job with years of service without having to start over at entry level somewhere else.

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:31 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 29):
You don't even know me, so you have nothing to compare me too. Move on.

I have your words to compare you to other people I know that work at NWA.

JetBlueAUS

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 32):
I have your words to compare you to other people I know that work at NWA.

So in other words, your judging him (which, by the way, you have no right to do) just because he is a FA at NW. You know, it seems like you work for DL and did you know that people could have judged YOU when all that mess was going around about how the Pilots were going to put DL out of business. To be honest, I think its best you keep your mouth shut.

This comment isn't only directed to Dw9115, but to all the other hostile reply out there.

Quoting Tbear815 (Reply 30):
Jack, with your excellent trip reports, all this really makes me question whether you are pro-aviation or totally oblivious because of Union propaganda. Get over it. It wasn't the Union that let your girlfriend go to Japan with you - it was management. Don't become second rate. Act for yourselves!

Exactly Jack. If you are proud working for your company, show it! I know the times are getting tougher... but is it really worth risking putting a company on the verge of liquidation? However, I agree that you should have a strong voice on the matter.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:55 pm

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 33):
So in other words, your judging him (which, by the way, you have no right to do) just because he is a FA at NW. You know, it seems like you work for DL and did you know that people could have judged YOU when all that mess was going around about how the Pilots were going to put DL out of business. To be honest, I think its best you keep your mouth shut.

Hey judge me all you want but I took my pay cuts without crying because I know if I didn't I would be without a job. Oh by the way I also thought for my self instead of saying things like "But since I am part of the union, I have to honour the picket line should it happen." and letting a union that real doesn't care about me cost me my job.

NASCARAirforce

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:59 pm

Eh, bring the SCABS in, there are plenty of flight attendants in waiting out there who would love to work for Northwest. Maybe they will be less crabby and rude than NW's current ones.

I hate to see the Midfield Terminal go to waste at DTW, I am sure someone else will move in... but I am at the point where I don't care about Northwest or their rude flight attendants anymore...

At least I can still fly back and forth from Florida to Detroit on Spirit and Air Tran.

JetBlueAUS

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 34):
Hey judge me all you want but I took my pay cuts without crying because I know if I didn't I would be without a job. Oh by the way I also thought for my self instead of saying things like "But since I am part of the union, I have to honour the picket line should it happen." and letting a union that real doesn't care about me cost me my job.

Isn't that pretty much the same thing jetjack74 is doing?
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

ordpark

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 pm

These tactics are right out of the AFA playbook.....when it comes right down to it....I doubt most of the rank and file will participate

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 36):
Isn't that pretty much the same thing jetjack74 is doing?

I would have to agree with you until he said this "But since I am part of the union, I have to honour the picket line should it happen." but now I think he is just playing both sides to see who wins. If the union wins he went to the picket line if HQ wins he really didn't care about the union he just did it because he was a member of it and had to do it.

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:21 pm

If Jack and the rest don't realize, this thread is NOT going in your favor.

I'm well aware of that,

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 31):
I am a pilot and I would cross the line in a minute because I have a RESPONSIBILITY to pay my bills and provide for my family (if I had one. Single without kids is the way to be) and be a productive member of society. Your union is not looking out for your best interest and the NWA FA's are taking other peoples jobs in their hands by throwing there little fit because they can't have there way. I took a lot bigger pay cut being a pilot then any FA took and I am just happy I still have a job with years of service without having to start over at entry level somewhere else.

Well, you go ahead an cross that picket line, and I garauntee you'll never work in the industry again without being harrassed. It's the nature of the business

I don't owe the company anything for letting me take my girlfriend along a for a ride. I am loyal to the company, I show up on time, I do a good job and ask for nothing in return. The company can make this right, all have to do be more engaging and negotiate. They dragged their feet in contract negotiations when were in bargaining in 2000. That being said, I do love the industry, but just letting the company take what they want and get nothing in return is not w. It's hard to take a side, but you have to stand for what is right. And having draw a fine line between the love of the industry, and having support your fellow brothers and sisters. I won't cross a picket line, I just won't do it. And anyway, it would be a mass walkout, it would be a disruption in service, NWA could survive it in the short term. Time is of the essence.
Made from jets!

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:31 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 39):
Well, you go ahead an cross that picket line, and I guarantee you'll never work in the industry again without being harassed. It's the nature of the business

Well that may be so but it is also is illegal and the people that do that deserve to be thrown in jail and I believe a few of NWA mechanics can tell you all about spending a night on the cell block with Bubba for harassing other employees and some could tell you that you can still work just fine in the industry after crossing a ass backwards union picket line.

tbear815

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:36 pm

150 years ago when I started my career, I HAD to join the Union in order to get the job. I did, then withdrew when I accepted a management position elsewhere. I later moved to another job and was re-instated in the Union. When I left that job, I withdrew again. No problem.

I subsequently worked for my non-Union employer during a strike action. My photo was on TV the day the strike started as "a management substitute." Because I worked for a company during a "work action" (at that particular company I was never a Union member), the Union has blackballed me for life in my industry. For helping an employer with which I was never Union affiliated.

I was never impressed by Unions in the first place and now I have no respect for them at all. As I said in my early post, grow up and get over this Union "s*#t." They are dinosaurs and are of no earthly good to anyone except their own leaders. My opinion, but a growing one throughout business and industry today.

Once a necessary evil, now a needless one.

dw9115

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:00 pm

Quoting Tbear815 (Reply 41):
150 years ago when I started my career, I HAD to join the Union in order to get the job. I did, then withdrew when I accepted a management position elsewhere. I later moved to another job and was re-instated in the Union. When I left that job, I withdrew again. No problem.

I subsequently worked for my non-Union employer during a strike action. My photo was on TV the day the strike started as "a management substitute." Because I worked for a company during a "work action" (at that particular company I was never a Union member), the Union has blackballed me for life in my industry. For helping an employer with which I was never Union affiliated.

I was never impressed by Unions in the first place and now I have no respect for them at all. As I said in my early post, grow up and get over this Union "s*#t." They are dinosaurs and are of no earthly good to anyone except their own leaders. My opinion, but a growing one throughout business and industry today.

Once a necessary evil, now a needless one.

Finally some that actually says it like it is. Welcome tbear815 to my Respected Users list.

stewardess4u

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:25 pm

I really try NOT to post anything in these forums because I think so many at this site are rude, mean, and don't know anything about actually working for an airline, but I can't stay silent on this one!!
I am a Northwest flight attendant (9 years), on a voluntary furlough working for a regional airline right now.
First, if there is anyone who is NOT an NWA f/a or employee in this thread, you really don't know what working for nwa is like. If your manager treated you the same way we are treated, you'd show up to work with a pistol!
For years, top excecs have been lining their pockets with the money, we, as front line employees, have worked hard for and couldn't care less of our company loyalty. They have reduced bennies to the point where it's almost not worth working there anymore.
I LOVE being a flight attendant and working with airplanes, please don't tell me to quit and get another job!! How RUDE!! It's really amazing when I hear some jackass say that. I fantasize of popping open a can of Bloody Mary mix and dumping it all over his laptop!!
Right now, everyone HATES Northwest. The employees more than the passengers!
I hope the f/a's do strike, but you know what will happen? NWA will replace them just like Eastern did when their f/a's honored the Mechanic strike. If you think the nwa crews are nasty now, wait till they hire sub standard scabs to do the job!! You'll drive instead of fly! Trust me.
What company just fires all of it's employees and hires new ones?? WTF??
Look at what nwa did to it's mechanics. Those guys lost EVERYTHING, even after giving their whole life to the company. They were proud to work for nwa and nwa cut their throats. Those guys had families. Kids in college, house payments, car payments. Think nwa cared...HELL...no!! They hired scabs, who don't have nearly the training. That's safe!
What needs to happen is an all new management team to come in, clean house of middle and top management, and provide a positive, rewarding, respectful workplace. A place where all employees are given the proper tools to perform the job to the highest of standards. Until then, it will always be an, "Us against Them" attitude with employees and management. Did you know they will fire you in a second without a Dr.'s note if your ill? Did you know that crew schedulers be-little you and make you feel like your an idiot? Did you know NWA wants it's flight attendants to work 16-20 hours without any food to eat? 13 hour days with 9-10 hour rests?
Unless there is major change, nwa will continue to stand for "Never Worse Airlines"
I wish all nwa employees worldwide the best of luck. I may even return at the end of my furlough to help fight for a better future for us, the passengers, and everyone involved in nwa!!

[Edited 2006-08-19 09:51:13]
I live above the Earth......

stewardess4u

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:49 pm

NO you do not. I am a pilot and I would cross the line in a minute because I have a RESPONSIBILITY to pay my bills and provide for my family (if I had one. Single without kids is the way to be) and be a productive member of society. Your union is not looking out for your best interest and the NWA FA's are taking other peoples jobs in their hands by throwing there little fit because they can't have there way. I took a lot bigger pay cut being a pilot then any FA took and I am just happy I still have a job with years of service without having to start over at entry level somewhere else.

I can't believe you said that!! SCAB...Go ahead and cross, you would be branded the rest of your career as a filthy, nasty, scab. Don't ask your f/a's for ANYTHING! Especially a drink! Who do fly for? GoJets? Rent-a-pilot!! You wouldn't be allowed to fly in jumpseats across the system. They have a little book with those names in it, you ridiculous kite-flyer. Your peers would spit on you!! Your a disgrace and should seriously re-think your choice of words, A**hole!!
I live above the Earth......

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:09 pm

Quoting Stewardess4u (Reply 44):
I can't believe you said that!! SCAB...Go ahead and cross, you would be branded the rest of your career as a filthy, nasty, scab. Don't ask your f/a's for ANYTHING! Especially a drink! Who do fly for? GoJets? Rent-a-pilot!! You wouldn't be allowed to fly in jumpseats across the system. They have a little book with those names in it, you ridiculous kite-flyer. Your peers would spit on you!! Your a disgrace and should seriously re-think your choice of words, A**hole!!

Uhh, I hope you're not calling me a scab because I did not author that response. Dw115 did, in reply #31 as noted below.

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 31):
Made from jets!

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:32 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 40):
Well that may be so but it is also is illegal and the people that do that deserve to be thrown in jail and I believe a few of NWA mechanics can tell you all about spending a night on the cell block with Bubba for harassing other employees and some could tell you that you can still work just fine in the industry after crossing a ass backwards union picket line.

Well, i'm not saying I engage in that kind of behavior, just warning you of what i've seen during my 10 years in the industry to strike-breakers, scabs or other pet names.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 35):
Eh, bring the SCABS in, there are plenty of flight attendants in waiting out there who would love to work for Northwest. Maybe they will be less crabby and rude than NW's current ones.

Did you see our replacement flight attendants? Know of what you speak my friend.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 35):
I hate to see the Midfield Terminal go to waste at DTW, I am sure someone else will move in... but I am at the point where I don't care about Northwest or their rude flight attendants anymore...

Just making blanket statements about people you don't even know shows your ignorance. Maybe you should try and understand why these crabby, rude flight attendants are the way they appear. There's probably a story behind the pain

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 38):
I would have to agree with you until he said this "But since I am part of the union, I have to honour the picket line should it happen." but now I think he is just playing both sides to see who wins. If the union wins he went to the picket line if HQ wins he really didn't care about the union he just did it because he was a member of it and had to do it.

So? Wheres the crime in that? I may not be a union champion, but since I pay my union dues, I am inclined to support them which I will. These are the people that support us when the company unfairly targets and harrasses the members of it's workforce. I have been in situations where i've needed union representation, and to support them would be the right thing to do. If the company and the union do strike up and agreement and it passes, then we go on with our lives. Sorry, but you simply fail to understand concept.
Made from jets!

swissy

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Stewardess4u (Reply 43):
I really try NOT to post anything in these forums because I think so many at this site are rude, mean, and don't know anything about actually working for an airline, but I can't stay silent on this one!!

My apologies for any rude statements, I do appreciate your voice & opinion, I also respect the fact you have the rights to strike however I know a strike or harassing people will not solve any problems...... It is not about a fight between Management & Union anymore, it is about every NWA employee

Did you know they will fire you in a second without a Dr.'s note if your ill?

I wonder were that came from................

Right now, everyone HATES Northwest. The employees more than the passengers!

You are still a part of NWA

Cheers,

isitsafenow

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:21 pm

Want to discuss DR notes and illness? This is the leader of the pack in that department.
My wife is a 23 year RN at our local hospital AND RN union President.
Four years ago one of the RN who works on a floor there became ill at home
to the point she went to emergency and was admitted to hospital where she
works. The next day she was released to go home, called the hospital and said she would be at work the very next day. When she arrived, she was reprimanded for..................

are you ready......................
here it comes.......................

Not calling in sick the day she was admitted.

The wife fought tooth and nail to rescind the RN's reprimanded but to no avail.
She just plain didn't call in sick...even though the administration could document her being a patient there.
She did not CALL IN as stated in the contract.
Union people do get crapped on all I admit.
I was a member of three in my younger days in different jobs, of course.
I hope the F.A.'s and NW get their problems ironed out. NW is important to
the transport needs of a lot of people and a large job provider, not to mention all the jobs associated with doing business with NW Airlines.
safe

MalpensaSFO

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 48):
NW is important to
the transport needs of a lot of people and a large job provider, not to mention all the jobs associated with doing business with NW Airlines

NWA was not as vital or important as Pan Am and Eastern was. Nearly every destination that NWA serves is served by another airline. Keeping an airline afloat just for jobs does nto make good business sense. Besides what is left of Northwest Airlines image?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos