Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

UA Denver Promotion- Response To DL SLC Buildup?

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:13 am

Earn double credits this fall!

For travel between September 5 and November 15, 2006 you can earn double credits for qualifying flight segments between Denver and Baltimore, Cancun, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Cabos, Nashville, Oakland, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland-Oregon, Puerto Vallarta, Salt Lake City, San Diego or Seattle.

These are just a few of the special rewards for Denver travelers.

Fly 2 roundtrips
(or 4 flight segments)
Hyatt $100 Off 2-night stay† certificate
or 4,000 Mileage Plus miles

Fly 8 roundtrips
(or 16 flight segments)
Free domestic roundtrip ticket in
United Economy® or 25,000 Mileage Plus miles

Fly 16 roundtrips
(or 32 flight segments)

Free international roundtrip ticket in
United Business® or 90,000 Mileage Plus miles

(1 credit = 1 flight segment.)
See complete details.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Is this United response to Deltas build up at Salt Lake City???

Delta is expanding its flights out of Salt Lake City to more markets that united connects alot of people thru DEN. Some examples are deltas service to Durango,CO , Aspen, CO. also the existing service to examples like Vegas, Seattle, Portland, etc...... This SLC buildup is giving passengers to more places in the west more choices. Uniteds hub in DEN is a huge hub to connect people to the west from the midwest and east coast. Now SLC is starting to be a real threat on the same markets. I think every city in the promotion is a DL SLC service also????

It has been discussed on a.net that united is very very aware of deltas build up of Salt Lake City(oviously they own computers also).

Deltas new focus seems to be to RJ CVG and protect and expand SLC, ATL, and JFK both mainline and express. Im sure delta is going to expand more out of SLC its been RUMORED more annoucments within 6 months.

is united trying to keep the connecting passengers with this promotion? it will probably keep more than a few from trying deltas options of connecting in slc intead of den.

Salt Lake City's economy, conventions, and population are going up and delta has definitly noticed and wants to solidfy its presence in Utah both for the future growth and because SLC is a blessed geographical location for a hub. Much better location geographically for a hub than DEN for connecting traffic.

---------------------------------------
I heard once that DL sells alot of F tickets out of SLC. Sundance Film festival is def big money in F tickets for a few weeks $$$$$$$$$$$ but also i am guessing all the rich people out in Park City who live there instead of aspen etc. because its prox a major airport with non-stops. F tickets during sundance alone def bring in a lot of money for delta im sure that contributes a little to Salt Lake City being a profitbale hub for Delta.
----------------------------------------

OzarkD9S

RE: UA Denver Promotion- Response To DL SLC Buildup?

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting SlcDeltaRUmd11 (Thread starter):

Denver and Baltimore, Cancun, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Cabos, Nashville, Oakland, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland-Oregon, Puerto Vallarta, Salt Lake City, San Diego or Seattle.

Look at the markets. These are all destinations served by Frontier, Southwest, or both from DEN. This is UA's way of protecting it's DEN turf, and nothing to do with DL IMHO.

[Edited 2006-08-19 20:25:01]
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

N353SK

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:26 am

They're not in a position to be fighting with DL up at SLC when they can't even protect their home turf from F9 and WN.

atrude777

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):

I thought the same here, these are only served n/s by WN or F9, nothing with DL here.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

dutchjet

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:36 am

Interesting logic, but as pointed out, UA's Denver promotion is all about competiton at Denver from Frontier and Southwest.

ERJ170

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:59 am

I hope one of those three decide to serve RDU. Seems it is the largest market without nonstop service. Uhmm.. are there others? anyway.. here hoping for a new Raleigh announcement soon by someone..
Aiming High and going far..

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:13 am

I think that it is both. I like the theory anyway  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

I am sure that United has its eyes on SLC and the Delta buildup. Not too much they can do, but with the competition they face by WN and f9 the last thing they can afford to do it loose alot of the connecting east-coast/midwest traffic to the west to Delta.

I love the theories and think this one is original

SkyTeam7488

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:19 am

I think United is trying to mock Southwest RapidRewards with this fly 8 roundtrips and get a free domestic ticket  Wink  Wink
You only live once... So live the high life.

gigneil

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 2):
They're not in a position to be fighting with DL up at SLC when they can't even protect their home turf from F9 and WN.

What are you talking about? Denver continues to perform hugely for UA, even with the competition.

N

bnamaxx

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 5):
hope one of those three decide to serve RDU. Seems it is the largest market without nonstop service. Uhmm.. are there others? anyway.. here hoping for a new Raleigh announcement soon by someone..

You're talking about DEN service right? Didn't UA fly this route for awhile with CR7's and drop it?

ualcsr

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:28 am

Like most here, it has to do with F9 and WN, not DL or SLC.

777fan

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:32 am

Quoting Slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 6):
I am sure that United has its eyes on SLC and the Delta buildup. Not too much they can do, but with the competition they face by WN and f9 the last thing they can afford to do it loose alot of the connecting east-coast/midwest traffic to the west to Delta.

Highly doubt that DL is on their mind. Give UA a call when DL starts nonstop service to Asia from their western hub. UA is well positioned in SFO, LAX and DEN and is probably trying to stick it to WN and F9 as was mentioned earlier.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

OzarkD9S

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 11):

Give UA a call when DL starts nonstop service to Asia from their western hub.

Even then it would be what? SLC-ICN/NRT at best, to feed Skyteam hubs there. SLC will never be as big of an Asian gateway for DL than even thier old PDX operation.

UA has zero to fear from a couple of SLC-Asia flights.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

nosedive

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:36 pm

I think that it is both. I like the theory anyway

If that's the case, I have some beachfront property at either SLC or DEN to sell you.

AADC10

RE: UA Denver Promotion- Response To DL SLC Buildu

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:29 pm

No way. SLC is too small and too far away to have any impact on UA at DEN. Between SFO and DEN, UA is much better positioned than DL at SLC.

As most have pointed out they are battling F9 and WN at DEN. DEN is a difficult hub to defend because it has so much capacity, there is still enough room for a third airline to set up a hub there.

SLCUT2777

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 14):
No way. SLC is too small and too far away to have any impact on UA at DEN. Between SFO and DEN, UA is much better positioned than DL at SLC.

As most have pointed out they are battling F9 and WN at DEN. DEN is a difficult hub to defend because it has so much capacity, there is still enough room for a third airline to set up a hub there.

First of all, anyone even remotely thinking that DL will start an Asian flight in SLC needs to put down the crack pipe! LAX will likely be the start of such a buildup. SLC however is not too small or too far away to be a threat to UA at DEN. I think all of the comments are accurate thus far about UA's DEN campaign to hold their turf against both F9 and WN, BUT DL @SLC is also proving to be a viable alternative to UA @DEN for many west coast trans-cons.
The biggest thing going for UA at DEN is the fact that overhead costs there are down considerably over from when they first moved there from old Stapleton Field. The sale of much of the property of the former has allowed the city to lower the fees at DIA by roughly one third. The facilities at DEN are much more modern and efficient than what is available to DL at SLC which is an old obsolete facility by today's standards.
As far as a third airline operating a hub at DEN, keep in mind that it was planned for the original F9 as well as UA and CO once upon a time. After CO bailed out then mayor Federico Pena went after AA to come in and also sought DL to move the hub over from SLC. The new DEN @DIA was planned as a super-hub back in the late 1980s so that all the major players could operate a significant hub out of there. While DEN is a bigger market than SLC, what makes this situation competitive is the Time Zone placement geography along the mid latitudes of the US. DEN is back near the eastern side of the Mountain Time Zone and SLC is out along the western boundary. For Western Airlines back in 1981, SLC proved to be a good and viable DEN alternative for an interior network west hub, and this is always going to be competition for DEN. Even if DL left SLC, someone else would come in like AA or CO, or more than likely a significant buildup of WN.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

UAL777UK

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 2):

Sorry, but that comment is just plane stupid. UA have nothing to fear from DL on that front.

EXAAUADL

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:59 pm

If it is in the local market, I dont see how it would be a response to DL's build up in SLC.

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 14):
SLC is too small and too far away to have any impact on UA at DEN

Not in the connecting markets it isnt. Dont you think UA has probably seen some traffic decline in DEN-FAR due to DL's FAR-SLC service?

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 15):
LAX will likely be the start of such a buildup

LAX is a horrible market for an Asian hub. Besides geography (too far south), the LAX marekt is flooded with lower cost Asian airlines tha talso have decent products. As well there is a huge ethnic market there which means that the trave lagencies that specialize in LA-Asia probably have a good hold on the market. Yields will be low, cargo is good but yields are low and competion is fierce.

SLCUT2777

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:49 pm

Salt Lake City's economy, conventions, and population are going up and delta has definitly noticed and wants to solidfy its presence in Utah both for the future growth and because SLC is a blessed geographical location for a hub. Much better location geographically for a hub than DEN for connecting traffic.

Salt Lake City is growing, as is the state of Utah. Probably not at Florida, Arizona, southern Nevada or some parts of Texas speed, but enough to be noticed in many marketing circles.
As for which airport is a better hub geographically that is something that is quite debatable. Physical facility wise DEN wins hands down, but as far as geographic locality and network connections to SMALLER communities that are isolated in the Mountain , far western Central and some Pacific Time Zones. Or best said CRJ or EMB service only. Here is my two cents worth:
From SLC:
IDA
TWF
BOI
PIH
LWS
GEG
MSO
GTF
FCA/GPI
HLN
BZN
BTM
COD
WYS
JAC
EKO
ELP
EUG
RDM
BLI
PSC
SGU
CDC
Hawaii: OGG, KOA
Canada-SLC:
YYJ
YQL
YQR (westbound connecting destinations only)
Mexico-SLC
SJD
PVR
MZT
ZLO
From DEN:
BIL
CPR
RAP
FAR
GFK
BIS
MOT
LNK
ICT
COS
HDN
ASE
AMA
LBB
MAF
SUX
FSD
DRO
GJT
COS
HNL is the only viable destination from DEN to Hawaii since there would be limitations for narrow bodied equipment (752, A321) that could fly to OGG and KOA.
Mexico-DEN:
CUN
CZM
ACA
Canada-DEN
YQR (easbound connecting destinations only)
YWG
So when all is said and done, it finishes in a virtual dead heat!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

mariner

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 18):
Mexico-DEN:
CUN
CZM
ACA
Canada-DEN
YQR (easbound connecting destinations only)
YWG
So when all is said and done, it finishes in a virtual dead heat!

Okay, I am confused. UAL does not fly to ACA from DEN, Frontier does.

So if you're going to include Frontier's destinations from DEN, you've missed a bunch.

If you are not including Frontier, then United does not fly to CZM from DEN, either.

Anbd where's YYC on that list, from either airline?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

SLCUT2777

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 19):
Okay, I am confused. UAL does not fly to ACA from DEN, Frontier does.

So if you're going to include Frontier's destinations from DEN, you've missed a bunch.

If you are not including Frontier, then United does not fly to CZM from DEN, either.

Anbd where's YYC on that list, from either airline?

YYC is the 4th largest market in Canada, so hence along with YVR and YEG, they were not included. Both DL and UA serve them well out of either hub (although DL should upgrade both YYC and YEG to 738 service on mainline). As for ACA or CZM, UA could serve them from DEN. My point is that geographically the Mexican resorts on the Pacific Riviera (PVR northward) are better served out of SLC and the Yucatan resorts along with ACA are better served from DEN. All I'm pointing out is what would be the most efficient connection to SMALLER markets that are more set up for (at least seasonally) for CRJ service or turbo-prop EMB-120 flights from DEN or SLC.

airfrnt

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:40 pm

I think that it is both. I like the theory anyway Smile Smile Smile Smile

Sorry to burst your bubble, and nothing against SLC, but these offers have been running since WN entered the market, and F9 started the mexican and canadian routes. I am certain that this is also a part of their commitment to Denver to add flights out of this hub in exchange for Denver forgiving a significant amount of loans and work at the Airport.

United's upswing certainly were in full swing before DL let out massivly misleading claims of how DL was now the biggest in the west.

And let's face it, there is almost zero cross over traffic from DEN to SLC. The geographic distance is too great. DL has finally woken up to the fact that the need a strong western pacific prescence, but UA has not changed it's strategy one ioata.

SLCUT2777

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 21):
Sorry to burst your bubble, and nothing against SLC, but these offers have been running since WN entered the market, and F9 started the mexican and canadian routes. I am certain that this is also a part of their commitment to Denver to add flights out of this hub in exchange for Denver forgiving a significant amount of loans and work at the Airport.

This sums it up quite well also. Even strong DL fans in SLC like myself should wish UA good luck against WN at DEN. All UA should do is put adds on the local TV networks comparing the product of UA vs. WN showing a cowboy opening up the Jetway door with a rope and lasso shouting; "Round 'em up!" and ALL passengers getting on the plane like a herd of cattle! DL did a commercial like that here in SLC a few years back after WN bought out Morris Air.

777fan

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 17):
LAX is a horrible market for an Asian hub. Besides geography (too far south), the LAX marekt is flooded with lower cost Asian airlines tha talso have decent products

Lower cost Asian carriers?! Feel free to share those with us! I'm familiar with heavily discounted fares to Asia (usually package deals) but those area available on virtually every carrier (to include UA). LAX is a decent Asian market for many reasons, the least of which is its huge population base (15+ million), diverse population, and status as a West Coast financial hub.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:40 am

LAX is a horrible market for an Asian hub. Besides geography (too far south),

What is this gripe about LAX being too far south to serve Asia? It is ONLY 293 nautical miles due SE of SFO, and doesn't add much to a trip across the vast Pacific. I think the folks that make the most noise about this are from Seattle since they don't seam to get very much trans-Pacific service when compared with their northern neighbor YVR!

EXAAUADL

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 23):
Lower cost Asian carriers?! Feel free to share those with us! I'm familiar with heavily discounted fares to Asia (

maybe i should say low fare. Also the problem in LAX will be not published fares being too low but off tariff stuff to Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Philippines. These are sold mostly through consolidators at heavy discounts. There is much less busiess traffic than in SFO, given total capacity.

mariner

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:26 am

Your rules are too arcane for me. You include it because United "could" serve CZM from DEN?

Bringing it back to the real world, I don't see DEN-XNA on your list.

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 20):
the Mexican resorts on the Pacific Riviera (PVR northward) are better served out of SLC and the Yucatan resorts along with ACA are better served from DEN.

(a) why? (b) that leaves ZIH with no service, and (c) why does DL serve CUN from SLC (after Frontier started the route, of course)?

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 20):
All I'm pointing out is what would be the most efficient connection to SMALLER markets that are more set up for (at least seasonally) for CRJ service or turbo-prop EMB-120 flights from DEN or SLC.

You fly DEN-ACA on an RJ. I'll take a real aircraft.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 26):
why does DL serve CUN from SLC (after Frontier started the route, of course)?

DL has a large FF base out west, and this is a VERY popular resort with Generation "X" and Generation "Next" customers and the loads are very good during the season (November-April). F9 might have started it, but they lack the FF base DL has, BUT they keep the pricing on routes to Mexico resorts from SLC competitive. Besides CUN, F9 has tried PVR and SJD during the season.

a) why? (b) that leaves ZIH with no service

ZIH is still more of a "niche" market than places like PVR, SJD or MZT. It really is best served out of LAX if any place in the western US.

You fly DEN-ACA on an RJ. I'll take a real aircraft.

During the season you can bet a A320 or 737 will be used on this route, the rest of the year it will work with a CRJ-7 or an EMB-170.
My point is that there are some smaller communities in the western US that will be better served out of DEN, and some that are better served out of SLC. From longitude 106-109 West, it can be either or both, but west of 109 SLC is the better choice and definitely east of 106 you've got to go with DEN.

mariner

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 27):
Besides CUN, F9 has tried PVR and SJD during the season.

Not from SLC.

SJD and PVR are extremely successful - year round - routes for Frontier out of DEN. As are MZT and CZM.

ZIH is still more of a "niche" market than places like PVR, SJD or MZT.

It is no more of a niche than ACA - in season, it has more service from the US than ACA.

During the season you can bet a A320 or 737 will be used on this route, the rest of the year it will work with a CRJ-7 or an EMB-170.

Not with Frontier out of DEN to any of their resorts, or United DEN-CUN.

The year round resort markets (from DEN) are mainline year round.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

AADC10

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:24 am

SLC however is not too small or too far away to be a threat to UA at DEN.

SLC is over 500 miles from DEN. Few people are going to drive to the other city for a fare sale. That would be like UA having a sale at IAD because DL is adding flights at JFK.

As far as a third airline operating a hub at DEN, keep in mind that it was planned for the original F9 as well as UA and CO once upon a time.

At one time Stapleton was used as a hub for three airlines but I doubt that will happen at DEN anytime soon, if ever.

LAX is a horrible market for an Asian hub.

It is, but not for the reasons stated. The top Asian carriers are consistently more expensive than UA, NW or whatever, even for connecting service because most people regard them as having superior service to US carriers. There are already many direct flights to Asian destinations, but there are not enough gates available for the domestic operations necessary to feed an Asian gatweay. UA was building up for an Asian hub at LAX but killed it after the 1997 Asian economic crisis and delays in airport expansion.

ScottB

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:06 am

Fly 8 roundtrips
(or 16 flight segments)
Free domestic roundtrip ticket in
United Economy® or 25,000 Mileage Plus miles

Wow, this thread has gotten way, way, way off-topic. In any event, it probably makes sense to use the K.I.S.S. principle to assess United's promotion. After all, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

The cities to which WN has added daily non-stop service from DEN are BWI, MDW, HOU, MCI, LAS, BNA, MCO, PHX, and SLC. They have also offered occasional weekly non-stop flights to OAK and SAN. Frontier offers non-stop flights to all of the cities included in United's promo, while AS flies non-stop to PDX and SEA from DEN.

If this were really targeted at Delta, wouldn't we see ATL included in this promotion? How many folks would fly DEN-SLC-MCO when Ted is offering low-fare service non-stop?

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 28):
It is no more of a niche than ACA - in season, it has more service from the US than ACA.

Thanks to all of the crime in ACA! (A Drug trafficking turf war has been on-going there), which has been extreme this past year to say the least.
As for UA & F9 offering mainline to all the Mexican resorts, that comes from DEN being a larger O&D market than SLC. As more mainline a/c become available for DL, they've talked about using mainline equipment year around out of SLC to SJD, MZT and PVR since these are relatively close, inexpensive tropical getaways for the western US.

mariner

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 31):
Thanks to all of the crime in ACA! (A Drug trafficking turf war has been on-going there),

The reason is irrelevant. If you are looking at destination traffic patterns, ACA is presently more of a "niche market" - as you call it - than ZIH.

However, fwiw, the Spring Breakers have rediscovered ACA, as they are now not so welcome in CUN.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 29):
SLC is over 500 miles from DEN. Few people are going to drive to the other city for a fare sale. That would be like UA having a sale at IAD because DL is adding flights at JFK.

ummmm the comparison is about connecting passengers choosing to fly UA thru DEN or DL thru SLC not about driving

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 13):
I like the theory anyway

If that's the case, I have some beachfront property at either SLC or DEN to sell you.

I already live on the beach  Silly, but thanks anyway European  Smile

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 32):
The reason is irrelevant. If you are looking at destination traffic patterns, ACA is presently more of a "niche market" - as you call it - than ZIH.

However, fwiw, the Spring Breakers have rediscovered ACA, as they are now not so welcome in CUN.

While many spring breaking college students have "rediscovered" ACA, and the nostalgia dating to half a century ago when JFK did his honeymoon there back in '53 and Elvis did a movie there later that decade. they have also discovered other cheap tropical destinations such as PUJ over in the DR. My reason is VERY RELEVANT, when they are found to have had Mexican cops beheaded Al Quaida style. That WILL scare away many tourists.

mariner

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 34):
While many spring breaking college students have "rediscovered" ACA, and the nostalgia dating to half a century ago when JFK did his honeymoon there back in '53 and Elvis did a movie there later that decade.

I guess you haven't been to Acapulco in a while.

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 34):
My reason is VERY RELEVANT,

No need for caps, no need to shout.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos