Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

albydal
Topic Author

Abandoned Roads Near LAX

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:40 am

I was just looking at LAX on Google Earth, and just west of the airport next to the ocean there is an entire neighborhood of streets- but no houses or other structures. It looks like whatever used to be there was torn down. Does anyone know if they are planning to extend runways, build new terminals, etc. on the reclaimed land? How long ago did this happen?

StarGoldLHR

RE: Abandoned Roads Near LAX

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:43 am

Whats spooky is the street lights come on at night...

some weird spooky neighbourhood.

I saw this at least 10 years ago !
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

SkyexRamper

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:47 am

You will also see that type of thing on the westside of STL too. Where they bought up land and torn down the houses for the new runway and other projects. It was freaky to see just narrow paved streets in empty grids. The wierd part was that I saw 2 old houses that were still standing and looked in bad shape.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

OPNLguy

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:49 am

Behold, the power of Google:

http://www.lakata.org/arch/surfridge/
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

travelin man

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:15 am

Interesting article. I thought I read somewhere that as part of the LAX master plan they were going to rip out the street pavement, and let it all go back to nature.

It is sad what happened to the neighborhood (in a way), but that's what can happen when your home is under the flight path of an airport.

PanAm747

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:36 am

Actually, if you look carefully at the area, you will see that some of those streets are being used for parking. I am guessing that is for airport personnel like the FAA and such.

In the early 1980's, I came across an old AAA map of the Los Angeles metro area from the 1970's. It had all those streets listed and named. When I looked at the same map presented in the 1980's, all of the streets were gone except one. I am almost certain it was the early 1970's that they were taken down.

Sandpiper St is the only one of these streets that you can still traverse - it connects Vista Del Mar (along the coast) to Pershing Dr., the eastern boundary of LAX. If you ever get the chance to drive out there, you will see why the houses were taken down - the jet noise of take-offs from four runways is relentless. Just be careful - there is no parking permitted on Sandpiper Street, and LAX police patrol the area looking for spotters. Interesting that you can spot from the beach, but not from the hill...oh well, it's LAX's property, and they can do what they want with it.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

AlitaliaMD11

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:42 am

My dad knew someone who used to live in that area.
No Vueling No Party

elmothehobo

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 am

Sad, but these people would have complained about all the noise from the planes taking off. You just can't please some people.

As for the land, I can't remember where in the master plan they had this, but there were suggestions to extend Westchester Parkway to Vista del Mar and then expand the airport's land a all the way to Vista del Mar, allowing for the two southern runways to be lengthened and for a new taxiway from 25L around 25R so that aircraft could taxi around the runway to the terminals. It would create a more efficient flow of traffic (a plane could land on 25R while a plane taxied of 25L without holding for traffic).

United_fan

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:14 am

I saw these roads last month and was also fascinated by thier history. There are also roads and street lights up the street from where In-N-Out Burger is (Westchester,maybe) . Between that street and the runway. There are abandoned roads and lights.
That must have been something back in the day to have a non-hush kitted Rolls Royce Conway 707 or JT3 take off over your hosue!
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

jsnww81

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:44 am

That's the old Playa del Rey neighborhood, one of several LAX-area neighborhoods that was purchased and demolished in the 1970s.

If you look north of runway 6L-24R, you can also see the outlines of streets from the Westchester Addition neighborhood. Like Playa del Rey, today it's largely overgrown and abandoned, although Westchester Boulevard was re-routed across the middle of it about 10-15 years back (the north side airport surveillance radar was also built there.)

Another neighborhood also stood immediately to the east of runways 24L and 24R, across the street from In-N-Out where several of the long-term and rental-car lots now stand. There's no trace of this subdivision anymore, but these old photos from the 1970s show it:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ellis M. Chernoff

In the first picture, from 1971, there are still some houses left, although you can see lots of vacant lots (and what even looks like a school.) In the second photo, from 1973, the neighborhood has been cleared of houses and looks a lot like Playa del Rey does today. By 1980 the whole area had been paved over.

N1120A

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 9):
That's the old Playa del Rey neighborhood, one of several LAX-area neighborhoods that was purchased and demolished in the 1970s.

Playa del Rey still exists.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

eta unknown

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:27 am

The other roads in Westchester have been blocked off to traffic as a security measure as they are too close to the runway. The only vehicular traffic you see on them is the black police SUV's patrolling when El Al arrives/departs.

N1120A

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting ETA Unknown (Reply 11):
The other roads in Westchester have been blocked off to traffic as a security measure as they are too close to the runway.

That is just about impossible given how many people live there.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

roseflyer

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:32 am

I would guess that the city of Los Angeles and the airport authority have saved a lot of money by buying out these neighborhoods rather than deal with people living in that area and sueing. There would be a lot of lawsuits coming from there, so the city went in and fixed the problem. It is unfortunate that it had to happen, and I feel sorry for people that were forced to rellocate. If it weren't for LAX right there, that would be some of the most valuable land in the country.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

clickhappy

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:50 am

There is a similiar bit of land just south of SEA. On Google earth you can see the old streets, LAS has an area to, but now it is a Wal Mart

kaitak744

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting ALbyDAL (Thread starter):
and just west of the airport next to the ocean there is an entire neighborhood of streets- but no houses or other structures. It looks like whatever used to be there was torn down.

There was never anything there. That are is a wild life reserve for a certain type of butterfly. It can't be touched by ANY airport authorities. The only thing they are allowed to do is have the posts for the approach lights go through there. As for the roads, I have no idea, but they are not airport related.

Also, if any of you have ever been up there, you will see that it is a very uneven hilly terrain (unsuitable for construction).

robsawatsky

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:29 am

Kinda reminds me of the community of Burkeville just outside the east perimeter of YVR, except it's still there. And, it is located between the runways although some homes are located very close to the east end of the south runway.

http://www.vancouverhistory.ca/chronology1943.htm

Construction began on Burkeville, west of Airport Road in Richmond. Harold Kalman, architectural historian, has written: “Burkeville was laid out and built by the federal government during the Second World War to provide 328 houses for workers employed at the Boeing Aircraft plant. It was named for Stanley Burke, president of Boeing. The streets are named after airplane manufacturers. The plain, no-frills dwellings came in several standard sizes. Most have been altered to fit the needs of two generations of residents. After the War, Boeing sold the houses to returning veterans. The tightly-knit community, already encircled by airport uses, is currently threatened by the intended further expansion of roads and runways.” Ironically, the “plain, no-frills dwellings” were designed by McCarter and Nairne, who gave us the Marine Building. The name of the development was chosen in a competition among Boeing employees.

visityyj

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 5):
Sandpiper St is the only one of these streets that you can still traverse - it connects Vista Del Mar (along the coast) to Pershing Dr., the eastern boundary of LAX. If you ever get the chance to drive out there, you will see why the houses were taken down - the jet noise of take-offs from four runways is relentless. Just be careful - there is no parking permitted on Sandpiper Street

Depends what you mean by "traverse". Sandpiper St is blocked (Jersey barriers) off at both ends and has been ever since 9/11. And I imagine a pedestrian or cyclist there would last about 2 minutes before the arrival of the police.

RyDawg82

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 15):
There was never anything there. That are is a wild life reserve for a certain type of butterfly. It can't be touched by ANY airport authorities. The only thing they are allowed to do is have the posts for the approach lights go through there. As for the roads, I have no idea, but they are not airport related.

Also, if any of you have ever been up there, you will see that it is a very uneven hilly terrain (unsuitable for construction).

The article outlines what used to be there...An entire neighborhood to be exact.

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 17):
Depends what you mean by "traverse". Sandpiper St is blocked (Jersey barriers) off at both ends and has been ever since 9/11. And I imagine a pedestrian or cyclist there would last about 2 minutes before the arrival of the police.

This photo indicates that you may still walk up there, dated 2004...I know you cannot drive up there, but I believe it is acceptable to walk to the top of the hill along Sandpiper...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Paulsen - AirTeamImages

-R

rampart

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:47 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 4):
Interesting article. I thought I read somewhere that as part of the LAX master plan they were going to rip out the street pavement, and let it all go back to nature.

Yes, it is going back to nature, specifically to a butterfly preserve, as mentioned above (and here: http://www.esasuccess.org/reports/pr..._pages/ElSegundoBlueButterfly.html
Yes, it was a real neighborhood before. The uneven terrain is because the hills used to be coastal sand dunes. As such, they'd be easy to excavate, but the natural airport buffer serves a purpose now.

-Rampart

teneriffe77

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:24 am

Speaking of land being cleared for airports, according to the book "A city takes flight: the story of Ottawa international Airport, YOW occupies the site of the former town of Bowesville (the current terminal sites on the town's apporiximate site).

C133

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 am

Quoting ALbyDAL (Thread starter):
and just west of the airport next to the ocean there is an entire neighborhood of streets- but no houses or other structures. It looks like whatever used to be there was torn down.

Kaitak744, you should try checking your facts before making public statements. The roads are as plain as the nose on your face, on Google Earth, extending a bit south of the extended centerline of 25R, and I visited residents of those streets, once upon a time. The butterfly sanctuary is a relatively recent phenomenon.
Fine: Tax for doing wrong. Tax: Fine for doing well.

DIA

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:47 pm

There was never anything there.

There most certainly was a neighborhood there. I've been there and seen the remnants of dozens of house foundations.

This photo will show everyone a bit more of the area. Look on the lower portion of the photo for the area in question. Just below the area is Highway 1 and the beach:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ray Harvey

Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

as739x

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Jsnww81: Playa Del rey is still there...at least I hope so. Thats where I live!

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Woosie

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Quoting As739x (Reply 23):
Jsnww81: Playa Del rey is still there...at least I hope so. Thats where I live!

ASLAX

The REAL question is: do you go the The Shack and get a Shackburger-n-beer? When I left Hughes Aircraft in 1988 (for Douglas), that's where I had my "retirement" party (after 3 years of service).

as739x

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:16 pm

Woosie......been there, done that!

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

cumulus

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:20 pm

Does anybody know of any links to images of this place before it was demolished?
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

Continental

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 26):
Does anybody know of any links to images of this place before it was demolished?

Yes, all these pictures of the empty, eerie roads make me want to see the pictures. Everyone said the neighborhood looked great prior to being torn down!

Junction

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:42 pm

It's kind of funny, because the opposite extreme is taking place in Houston. On both ends of the relatively new IAH north runway 26R/8L new neighborhoods are going up like gangbusters. Long time residents are complaining about all the added jet noise while new houses are springing up all around them.

DIA

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 26):

FATFlyer provided me with this info some time ago...

Look about halway down this page after opening: http://www.playadelrey.com/news.html

Removing the neighborhood was a major controversy in the 60s and 70s. Nearly 800 homes were removed.

malmoaviation

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:08 am

Am I the only person who wants to build a house there and ENJOY the aircraft passing low over the house?  Smile

OPNLguy

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting DIA (Reply 29):
FATFlyer provided me with this info some time ago...

Look about halway down this page after opening: http://www.playadelrey.com/news.html

That's the same article that I linked to back in reply #3, but I don't see any pictures that you mention...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

visityyj

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting RyDawg82 (Reply 18):
I know you cannot drive up there, but I believe it is acceptable to walk to the top of the hill along Sandpiper...

Maybe you're right - I just assumed it was off-limits given the LAWA cops' usual attitude. Found this on a jogger's site

Quote:
At the end of Culver Boulevard in Playa del Rey, there is a small city park, where it's easy and free to park, if you arrive early enough in the morning. Heading south, you can either stick to the waterline (where the sand is firmer) or, if curious, head up the hill to look at the airport, (follow Vista del Mar, which parallels the beach, then go left on Sandpiper Street past the vehicular barrier, then right on Pershing Drive. When I did this, some people in an armored personnel carrier did a U-turn, parked, and watched me from a distance, but they didn't hassle me. The view from Sandpiper Street is somewhat poignant: the foundations of the houses that once formed a residential neighborhood, demolished when the jets came to LAX.

(emphasis mine !)

Also, a quick look throught the LA Public Library archive turned up these 2 photos...
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics24/00031649.jpg
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics24/00031651.jpg

...and possibly this one, although it looks more like Westchester to me.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics24/00031650.jpg

cumulus

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:33 am

Looks like a nice place to live to me, especially good if you're into spotting!
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

roseflyer

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:34 am

Way way worse land is being built on in the LA area now. There are mudslides because people have built on uneven hilly terrain. It actually is only gently sloped.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

travelin man

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:44 am

FYI, here's a cool pic of LAX from a LONG time ago (early 60s maybe? The theme building is there). In the distance you can see where the homes are.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics24/00031615.jpg

RyDawg82

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 am

VisitYYJ and Travelin Man, those are great photos...Thank you for sharing them...

Also (as shown in the last photo), if that isn't proof that it's time for T-3 to be demolished and rebuilt, I don't know what is :P

Ryan

United_fan

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:29 am

I enjoy planes as much as anyone on here , but I really wouldn't like non-hush kitted 707's flying over my house @ all hours  Smile
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

PanAm747

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:25 am

Quote:
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics24/00031649.jpg

While we a.netters might enjoy a beach house with Stage 3 compliant jets taking off, that picture shows a 727 that is undoubtedly NON-hush kitted, and almost looks like a water-injected aircraft...

Can you imagine the noise AND the pollution constantly streaming over your house? Not only that, but remember that LAX is a 24/7 airport - you'd never have a moment's peace!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

OPNLguy

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 38):
Can you imagine the noise AND the pollution constantly streaming over your house?

For some strange reason, that scene from the original "Airport" comes to mind--the one where they have to start using 22 (since 29 is blocked by that 707) which drives the "Meadow Wood" residents bonkers with noise. Remember the guy trying to say grace a dinner? ZOOOMMM!

DIA

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 31):
That's the same article that I linked to back in reply #3, but I don't see any pictures that you mention...

Sorry for that double link post...I didn't open my eyes wide enough.

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 32):
Also, a quick look throught the LA Public Library archive turned up these 2 photos...

Great photos. I especially like the first one...showing the house with the chimney....yes, the CHIMNEY. You know, for all those freezing L.A. nights. Funny. I really do wonder how often each house's chimney was actually used.

ramprat74

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:31 am

That last pic really shows how much LA area has been built up in the last forty years. When my parents moved from Newark to LA in 1968. There were nothing but Dairies twenty minutes west of LAX. I noticed TWA had their maintenance base open in that pic also.

mdsh00

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting DIA (Reply 40):
Great photos. I especially like the first one...showing the house with the chimney....yes, the CHIMNEY. You know, for all those freezing L.A. nights. Funny. I really do wonder how often each house's chimney was actually used.

You'd be surprised how cold it sometimes gets there in the winter. Of course nothing like the East but its no Florida either.

travelin man

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 42):
You'd be surprised how cold it sometimes gets there in the winter. Of course nothing like the East but its no Florida either.

I live here in LA and I use my fireplace all the time in the winter. It gets into the 40s at night in the Winter, and sometimes even dips into the 30s. It definitely ain't tropical!

malaysia

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:12 am

They should have made the place a Deaf Peoples Colony.

Discounted homes for Deaf Families only (never would complain)

Smile
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

prosa

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:15 am

On a somewhat similar note, isn't there an old cemetery on the grounds of BWI, the one remaining part of a long-ago-demolished community?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

PanAm747

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:09 am

Quote:
There were nothing but Dairies twenty minutes west of LAX.

Okay, I can't resist this...but twenty minutes west of LAX is the Pacific Ocean.

However, I remember the dairies in the Los Angeles basin...and the Farmer John murals at the Soto Street off-ramp from I-5...there's even a picture of my dad and family in a rose garden that is now the parking lot for the L.A. Coliseum.

How things have changed, yes?

DeltaWings

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:02 am

I must say, I would have loved to have lived there. Too bad they knocked all the houses down, they lokked really nice!
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

visityyj

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 38):
that picture shows a 727 that is undoubtedly NON-hush kitted, and almost looks like a water-injected aircraft...

Yeah, he's got his fingers in his ears and it ain't even close yet. What a wimp  ashamed  !

PanAm747

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:57 am

Out of curiousity, are there any other "former neighborhoods" near airports that other a.netter's might know about? Or is this just a unique situation?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos