Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jerseyguy
Topic Author

Michael Eisner Got The Blues- Jet Blue(s) That Is

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:24 am

http://www.tmz.com/2006/08/23/michael-eisner-is-blue-jet-blue/

Times are apparently tough for former Disney Chairman Michael Eisner. My spies tell me he took a plane to New York City Wednesday afternoon, but it's not a private jet. It's not first class on United or American. It's the very egalitarian Jet Blue.

Eisner and his wife showed up at Burbank Airport and bided their time in the terminal with iced coffees, which Eisner fetched himself. They boarded with all the common folk and settled in toward the middle of the plane. Eisner is currently (as of 3:00 PT Wednesday) in Seat 12F and is wearing a white ESPN hat. His wife rolled her own -- carry on suitcase, that is.

Eisner resigned from Disney last September. His net worth is estimated as more than half a billion dollars. Shave off $473 (round trip Burbank/New York) from that.

mfricke

RE: Michael Eisner Got The Blues- Jet Blue(s) That Is

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:28 am

I am not too surprised about that. One of my friends in college who worked as a tour guide at Disneyland saw him once in the mall. He was waiting outside a store while his wife was shopping inside. She went up to talk to him, and he chatted with her like he was the guy next door.

Plus, even very wealthy people must dislike the drive over the 405 to get to LAX. That's one of the many reasons why JetBlue is doing so well out of Burbank, and it shows with the increased traffic numbers out of BUR, and the decreased numbers out of LAX to JFK.
ONT - Southern California's Ontario!

EMBQA

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:30 am

So what....??? Bill Walton was worth a billion give or take and drove an old beat up pick-up truck and got his hair cut at a local 'pops' barber shop. Just because you have money mean you live or travel like royality.

[Edited 2006-08-24 04:32:04]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

DesertFlyer

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:57 am

I think it's great. It's not that long of a flight to spend in coach.

AirCop

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):
Just because you have money mean you live or travel like royality.

biggrin  Someone else with common sense!!! The last I looked the back of the plane arrives at the same time as the front and its cheaper, and one can spend the $$$ somewhere else.

lowecur

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):
So what....??? Bill Walton was worth a billion give or take and drove an old beat up pick-up truck and got his hair cut at a local 'pops' barber shop. Just because you have money mean you live or travel like royality.

First of all Bill Walton only wishes he was worth a Billion, and back when he was playing I don't think he ever made it to the barbershop.

I think you mean "Sam" Walton from razorback country. Smile

ltbewr

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:23 pm

I am a bit surprised as sometimes even in retirement or after departure from a Fortune 500 company, ex-CEO's like Eisner may be required for several years for their or their family's safety to use company paid private aircraft.
Sometimes the rich learned not to waste money as may have come from modest backgrounds or by being thrifty, that is how they became rich. Besides, the seat pitch, food, snacks, airport and in-flight service, access to a more convenient airport, better flight times, on a non-stop on a decent sized aircraft, for him along with a reasonable price may have better than flying UA, AA, CO or other airlines, even in Biz/1st.

TVNWZ

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting JerseyGuy (Thread starter):
Eisner resigned from Disney last September. His net worth is estimated as more than half a billion dollars. Shave off $473 (round trip Burbank/New York) from that

That's how Billionaires stay Billionaires.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
Sometimes the rich learned not to waste money as may have come from modest backgrounds or by being thrifty, that is how they became rich. Besides, the seat pitch, food, snacks, airport and in-flight service, access to a more convenient airport, better flight times, on a non-stop on a decent sized aircraft, for him along with a reasonable price may have better than flying UA, AA, CO or other airlines, even in Biz/1st.

And everytime they take the corporate jet...and I am sure he has it in his seperation agreement that he can...he will be taxed as if it is income. Let's see, if you are in no hurry, $473 vs paying taxes on 20-K or more????

STT757

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:58 pm

Eisner who is worth half a Billion flies on a low cost carrier and Todd Zeile who was a utility player for the Mets has his own Cessna Citation X Jet which shuttled him back and forth between NY and his familiy in San Luis Obispo California.

I was watching the travel channel today and they did an hour long special on private Jets and they followed Todd Zeile (now retired) on his Citation X jet from NY to San Luis Obispo, he mentioned he intends to keep using the jet to take his family on vacations now that he's retired.

The pilots mentioned now that the Concorde is retired that the Cessna Citation X Jet is the fastest and highest flying civilian aircraft currently operating. They can do Teterboro Airport - Van Nuys, Burbank, Santa Monica airports in 4 hours.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

CXA330300

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:33 pm

So what? Rich guy flies JetBlue. Welcome to America!
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

FLY2LIM

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):

So, we cleared the "Bill" Walton mistake. However, Sam Walton was worth (something like) 50 billion, so much that when he died, his 4/5 children maintained their place in the Fortune Magazine list of richest people in the US. On an aviation related note, one of Sam's sons died while flying an ultralight or experimental aircraft.

The "richest" man in the world, the man who owns IKEA outright, drives an older model Volvo and insists on flying coach class in commercial airlines. I don't know his name but he's from Sweden. I believe that he's richer than Bill Gates, but his fortune is not known because his company is not publicly held. Anyone with factual information is welcome to add their two cents.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

EMBQA

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:59 pm

Quoting Lowecur (Reply 5):
I think you mean "Sam" Walton from razorback country

D'ooohh..!!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

airbazar

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):

Maybe so on the East coast but I think it is a requirement of being a resident of LA that even if you don't have money you must act like you do  Smile

vsflyer747400

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:19 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 10):
The "richest" man in the world, the man who owns IKEA outright, drives an older model Volvo and insists on flying coach class in commercial airlines. I don't know his name but he's from Sweden. I believe that he's richer than Bill Gates, but his fortune is not known because his company is not publicly held. Anyone with factual information is welcome to add their two cents.

Mr Ikea - or Ingvar Kamprad is 79 yo. Forbes lists his net worth at $28bn, that puts him at 4th on their 2006 rich list, still a bit of a way behind Bill Gates who's worth $50bn, but still not bad for a self made billionaire.
Flown (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA ZB AE(AIR EUROPE) KD

jacobin777

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 10):

Bill is still the richest at $50billion..I've hear a lot of stories of him flying cattle class with his family sometimes...
"Up the Irons!"

DLSLC

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:14 am

Bill Gates used to fly coach class not too long ago when he would go to meetings and other places. And when he got to the destination, a limo or fancy car didn't pick him up, but a cab did! Buying a private jet was just unnecessary money spent to him.

ikramerica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Mfricke (Reply 1):
and it shows with the increased traffic numbers out of BUR, and the decreased numbers out of LAX to JFK.

source? BUR is doing okay for B6, but they haven't doubled flights or anything, and MCO was cut.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):
Just because you have money mean you live or travel like royality.

Very true. Most self-made millionaires in the USA do not in fact live like millionaires. They drive normal cars and live in moderate houses, etc.

Now of course there are many who "live the dream" but a lot of them inherited money or already came from money before becoming CEO (rich getting richer), or didn't have to scrap their whole lives to earn it (athletes and actors getting huge paydays at young ages). And there are many who aren't rich who live like they are and are in a load of debt and stress.

But it is surprising that a hollywood type would fly B6 out of BUR, especially someone like Eisner.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

isitsafenow

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 14):
Bill is still the richest at $50billion

........and his Microsoft side kick has a private 757......
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

kulatict

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:43 am

well, if Paris Hilton flies in B6 or WN without camera crew & acting very modest, that's the breaking news of the century

FLALEFTY

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:50 am

Well, if I had Eisner's jack, I would at least do the NetJets thing. It may cost a bundle, but he'll save time and the normal airport hassels.

But Eisner is not the only well-heeled cat to fly commercial - Sir Paul McCartney is worth north of $1B and only flies on private charters when he and his band are on tour. The rest of the time, he normally flies on commercial airlines.

[Edited 2006-08-24 19:52:36]

deltaflyertoo

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:56 am

WEll Eisner lives in Brentwood so this was somewhat of a hike for him to get to Burbank. LAX would have been much easier. Interesting.

rjpieces

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:06 am

A few months ago I met a very wealthy Hollywood person who lived near Burbank but had a Park Avenue apartment he went to every few weeks...When I met him I asked if he prefers American or United assuming he flies premium and he answered that he always flies jetBlue from Burbank!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

PizzaPolli

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:24 am

Eisner doesn't always fly commercial though. I did see him get off a Hawker at SMO about 3 months ago.

aeroplan73

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:11 am

From my experiences, most 'self made' folks with high incomes are really down to earth. It tends to be the ones who inherit, or are given everything who feel 'owed' the extra perks.
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

AADC10

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:01 am

The reason is obvious. Most first class and private jet passengers have their tickets paid for by their companies. If you have to pay for it yourself, even if you are a multi-millionaire, you are going to think twice about paying $500 versus $5,000 and it is not tax deductable. Some will pay it anyway, but it is a long standing Holywood tradition to insist on flying in first or on a private jet for a film production but buy the cheapest ticket when the production will not pay.

VEEREF

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:01 am

That's how you STAY wealthy!
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

COEWR

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 17):
........and his Microsoft side kick has a private 757......
safe

actually Mr. Allen has 2 757s

-C

DesertFlyer

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:13 am

Bill Gates, who has a winter home a couple blocks from me, usually drives a midsize rental car and goes to the movies at our main local movie theater, just him and his wife, without any security. We often see him on evening walks in front of our house. I've never seen Microsoft's 757 here at the airport, but he probably charters in, although I wouldn't be surprised if he flew Alaska in.

gipper913

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:18 am

Well, 12F is one of the better seats on B6 - an exit row - so it is as first class as one can get on B6. Plus, as others have said, I'd prefer B6 (esp an exit row) over first on, say an AA or other legacy 757 (talk about no bang for your buck)....especially if I can fly out of a more convenient airport like BUR or LGB rather than the nightmare that is LAX.

--Gipper913
The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern. --R. Reagan

supa7E7

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:32 am

This thread is totally inappropriate. It is a security risk and obviously the jetblue email system needs to be scanned for "eisner" and the sender disciplined or fired. Or else, I imagine Eisner's attorneys will take action.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

robsawatsky

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 29):
This thread is totally inappropriate. It is a security risk and obviously the jetblue email system needs to be scanned for "eisner" and the sender disciplined or fired. Or else, I imagine Eisner's attorneys will take action.

I guess someone will have to let tmz.com know that they're in trouble now.

ATLGUY

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 am

This thread is totally inappropriate. It is a security risk and obviously the jetblue email system needs to be scanned for "eisner" and the sender disciplined or fired. Or else, I imagine Eisner's attorneys will take action

Supa7E7 is an idiot

airevents

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:17 am

What is wrong with this chap? We were just having a nice conversation....

NASBWI

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 29):

At no point in the article was an email mentioned. If Eisner decided to publicly travel, then he is at the same risk every other celebrity is when in public. While you may or may not support the lack of privacy these public figures endure, there's no law that says someone can't stare at you and tell someone they saw you. In Eisner's case, he was at an airport, in plain view of everyone, using a generally public service (as opposed to a private jet). What if the author's 'spy' was another traveler or papparazzi?
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

102IAHexpress

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:42 am

It depends who’s tipped the pax information. If it’s just someone from the general public who’s feels the need to share this with TMZ, then that’s just a fact of life for a very public figure, but if it was a B6 employee, then that employee should probably be reprimanded.

EMBQA

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 27):
I've never seen Microsoft's 757 here at the airport

That's because Microsoft dosn't have a B757... Paul Allen does.

ONTFlyer

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting Mfricke (Reply 1):
One of my friends in college who worked as a tour guide at Disneyland saw him once in the mall. He was waiting outside a store while his wife was shopping inside. She went up to talk to him, and he chatted with her like he was the guy next door

I worked at the park from 96-99 and met Mr. Eisner on many occasions. One of the most down to earth and nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. You'd never tell that he was running a multi-billion dollar empire. Not surprising that he'd fly commercial from time to time.

Quoting Gipper913 (Reply 28):
Well, 12F is one of the better seats on B6 - an exit row - so it is as first class as one can get on B6.

Maybe something to do with his frame? He's well over 6'5". Exit row for the extra legroom perhaps?

ONT
Doin' just fine thanks...

ikramerica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting ONTFlyer (Reply 36):
I worked at the park from 96-99 and met Mr. Eisner on many occasions. One of the most down to earth and nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. You'd never tell that he was running a multi-billion dollar empire. Not surprising that he'd fly commercial from time to time.

Michael Eisner is personally responsible for censoring "Looney Toons" and cutting out the explosions and such.

Jerk.

Wink

multimark

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:34 am

What's the point of having that much money if you don't enjoy it. I'd be flying up front every time. If you've invested it wisely treating yourself to J isn't going to break the bank.

Oh, and chill out Atlguy!

ONTFlyer

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:55 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 37):
Michael Eisner is personally responsible for censoring "Looney Toons" and cutting out the explosions and such

haha! Very true...
Doin' just fine thanks...

ikramerica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting ONTFlyer (Reply 39):
haha! Very true...

He was head of family programming at ABC in the 70's (before Disney, and way before ABC was part of Disney).

He was also responsible for the invention of the after school special, BTW...

CruzinAltitude

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:47 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 40):
He was also responsible for the invention of the after school special, BTW...

I knew there was a reason I didn't like him!

rjpieces

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 27):
usually drives a midsize rental car and goes to the movies at our main local movie theater, just him and his wife, without any security.

I seriously doubt that...They are probably just blending in to the crowd....
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

ikramerica

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting CruzinAltitude (Reply 41):
I knew there was a reason I didn't like him!

Come now, everyone in the USA from that generation used to watch them...  Smile

While some people call him a "nice guy", the way he destroyed Disney Animation under his tenure by being too hands on, corporate and such (after he and Katzenberg built it up earlier by being hands off...), and the way he tarnished the Disney family image is not admirable.

supa7E7

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Quoting Atlguy (Reply 31):
This thread is totally inappropriate. It is a security risk and obviously the jetblue email system needs to be scanned for "eisner" and the sender disciplined or fired. Or else, I imagine Eisner's attorneys will take action

Supa7E7 is an idiot

OK then let's hear about all the celebrities, their itineraries and destinations. I'd really like to say hi to them. But pax records are considered private. The poster knew how much $ the poor guy PAID, so yes we are dealing with internal passenger data. It's creepy and it's none of our business. If you're not going to stand up for privacy rights, then I will.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

DLSLC

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Aeroplan73 (Reply 23):
From my experiences, most 'self made' folks with high incomes are really down to earth.

Thats so true and I have noticed the same thing from my observations as well. Becasue the 'self made' folks, such as Bill Gates, know how to and have lived without billions of dollars at points in their lives, and are usually pretty humble with there huge amounts of money. And in lots of occasions they like the simple way of life they were living before they made it huge, so they stay that way no matter how much money they have. I respect those kinds of people. Not the people who get handed ridiculously amounts of money for doing nothing and flaunt it every second of the day.

malexander131

RE: Michael Eisner Got The Blues- Jet Blue(s) That

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 44):
The poster knew how much $ the poor guy PAID,

Or he just looked up a fare on B6's website and guessed, perhaps?
"It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now."

RayChuang

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:58 pm

I do know that for security reasons, some well-known celebrities fly the own private jets. For example, conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh III has access to a Gulfstream IV (which he nicknames EIB One); he uses the plane quite a lot due to the fact he dislikes crowds and the very possibility that he has a lot of political opponents that may have sent death threats in the past, which makes him a target in any public place.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos