Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

How Are FA Paid?

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:53 pm

Just a quick question. How exactley are flight attendants paid? I know its not a base salary, but is it a per hour pay or per mile? Also, is the pay pretty good? How do the US carriers compare to each other?

Thanks!

Scaredflyer21

ADXMatt

RE: How Are FA Paid?

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:25 pm

At most carriers... (WN may be different) the F/A gets paid "flight time pay" from block out to block in. They also get a very small hourly "per diem" for the hours not "flying" and are away from their home base.

I think WN pays based on a milelage formula/zone type thing... maybe an WN f/a could elaborate further.

The F/A flight hourly rate looks really good if you were a 40 hour/week worker. However since it is only paid while flying the f/a is not as highly paid as a lay person would think. A f/a flying an 80-90 hour month is busy.

I hope that helps.

WeAreUnited

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:36 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 1):
I think WN pays based on a milelage formula/zone type thing... maybe an WN f/a could elaborate further.

True. WN and AS both pay by mileage. It's known by "trips" for short or by "TFP" (Trips For Pay). When compared to hourly wages.... It averages out to about 45 min of flight time.

A flight attendant at Alaska can fly, say, 120 trips in one month. They're not actually flying 120 trips (pairings, sequences) in an individual month- it's just their way of telling you their "hours." They actually have an unlimited amount they can fly- and anyone flying over 100 trips (or 100 TFP) is pretty busy.

So- in looking at my friends schedule- she's flying 104.10 TFP for the month- which is 86:42 hours. (Thanks L!) Just a reference for you guys.....

WeAreUnited

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 1):
They also get a very small hourly "per diem" for the hours not "flying" and are away from their home base.

Missed this before...

At the airlines I've been with (SkyWest, Alaska, and United) per diem starts the moment you check in until the time you return back to base. It's not just when you're not flying.

At the end of the year it's a nice amount of extra- if you will- money. If you do overnights- it can't be taxed. Day trips (turns, locals) per diem is taxed, however.

turkee

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:11 pm

QF regional airline QantasLink pays by the hour, I believe. No idea if it is structured similarly to QF, but it would make sense.

I know QF pay their international long-haul FAs a considerable amount more than their domestic FAs. As a result, many of the domestic FAs are being asked to do short-haul international trips, eg. SYD-SIN, PER-HKG, SYD-AKL. The long-haul FAs don't appreciate this, as it leaves less trips for them to bid on.

We're Nuts

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:02 pm

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Thread starter):
How exactley are flight attendants paid?

Dear moderators: No.

B747-437B

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:06 pm

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Thread starter):
How exactley are flight attendants paid?

Usually direct deposit.

ANCFlyer

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:18 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 5):

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 6):

rotfl 

Don't quit your day job, fellas . . .

Hi Nutsy, where you been?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

We're Nuts

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:31 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Hi Nutsy, where you been?

Oh it's a long and sordid tale. Shoot me an E-Mail and I'll tell it all.

ANCFlyer

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 8):
Shoot me an E-Mail and I'll tell it all.

Well, I would except your "Contact" on A-Net says you'd rather not be bothered.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

nzrich

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:39 pm

At Air NZ we get paid a base salary plus overtime plus allowances ie meal laundry etc...
"Pride of the pacific"

We're Nuts

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:41 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):
Well, I would except your "Contact" on A-Net says you'd rather not be bothered.

GODDAMN APOSTROPHE!  biting 

It's Stangera (at) Gmail.com

NYCAAer

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:09 pm

At AA, F/As are also paid extra if they speak a foreign language or work as the head flight attendant (purser), but it's not as much as it used to be.

One thing that stinks is if you have a lengthy ground delay at the gate with the aircraft door open, you only get paid what is called "holding time," which is something like $5.00 an hour. And you're still delaing with all the problems you do when you're on the clock, perhaps more so, because passengers are usually upset about a delay.

iairallie

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:29 pm

FA Pay 101

In general this is how it works with minor variations at most US airlines.

Perdiem-
FA's are paid a perdiem hourly 24 hours a day from checkin to check out to cover expenses this amount runs from about $1.10-$2.40. It can be more or less depending on if you are flying international or domestic. If it involves overnight travel then it is taxfree

Guarantee-
FA's recive a monthly guarantee of pay. This is the minimum number of hours they will be paid regardless of how many actual hours they work and is meant to pay protect you should the airline have a slow month. You get paid the greater of your guarantee or actual hours worked. Guarantees range from 65-80 hours of flight pay a month. 75 hours is usually considered a normal schedule. Flying over 80 hours in a month is considered a pretty busy month

Flight pay-
FA's get paid flight pay only for flight time. The start/end of flight time is measured several different ways depending on the airline. It could be door close/door open, break release/break set, pushback/blockin, or engine start/engine shutdown. Starting flight pay ranges from about $12-$22/hr. toping out at about $30-$50/hr. At SWA and a few other airlines you recieve TFP Trip for pay which was explained above but generally you can subitute TFP for hour when discussing FA pay.

As a new FA you can expect to make from $11,000-35,000 your first year with pay in the $15000-20,000 range being most likely.

Extras-
Based on the individual contract particulars we get all kinds of extra pay for different little things. Language speaker pay, purser pay, overtime, overduty, short crew, pay for days off used, babysitting pay, delay/cancellation pay and so forth.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos