Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kmh1956
Topic Author

False Readings At Security

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:47 am

If I'm in the wrong forum, feel freee to shift this. I have a question, however. I flew back from Boston to Bermuda yesterday on Delta, departing from Terminal A. Check-in was a breeze, the line at security was blissfully short. Took the shoes off, placed everything in their little tubs for x-ray, an dmy carry-on bag on the rollers and stepped into the little puffer machine thingie (Sorry...don't know what it's called)

Anyway, long story short......it wouldn't let me out! Apparently it detected something on me that looked like an explosive. This meant, of course, that I had to have a female screener to come over and do the pat-down and then they had to take everything out of my handbag and carry-on to examine. They were very pleasant and professional, and I have no complaints about having to go through the extra security but....what would give the machine a false reading?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

YYZYYT

RE: False Readings At Security

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:51 am

Maybe it wasn't a false reading. Maybe it was a trace of chemical that could be a bomb component?

Happened to me once in YQB. A stroller tested pos. for traces of explosive, and then the second stroller. We had a very careful going over - everything (including our checked bags which were found and brought into the security area) was hand-searched.

Afterwards, chatting with security, they said we could have picked up traces of whichever chemical anywhere... the back of the minivan rental, rolling on the ground... but it was definietely a correct test. I was never able to figure out where we picked it up.

Luckily we were flying Jetsgo so we had the built-in a 90-minute delay...

VonRichtofen

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 1):
Luckily we were flying Jetsgo so we had the built-in a 90-minute delay...

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

deltagator

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:00 am

Do you take nitroglycerine for a heart condition? Or come into contact with someone who does use it? My bag tested positive for "bomb making material" as they explained it to me and then the capers began.

It was quite funny to see the reaction of the TSA folks because you could see it in their eyes that they thought they were on to something. I started getting the the riot act read to me about how having bomb making equipment and components was a felony and that I would be going to jail for a long time.

One of the supervisors came over, called off the dogs, and asked me if I took nitro for my heart. I said no but understood that it could set things off. The supervisors then realized what machine they were using and told them to use the other tester since that one had been on the fritz that day. The retested and I came back clean. He apologized for their behavior and I was on my way.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

kmh1956
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:19 am

No heart condition, no nitro. I cannot for the life of me figure out what would have set this thing off.....

I'd had a shower and washed my hair...no perfume....had coffee and several cigarettes before I left the hotel (used a lighter)....had a cinnamon scone and a Cappuccino Grande from Starbucks.......something in the shampoo or soap, maybe?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

tangoecho

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:28 am

As I work in security, we get positive readings quite a lot. but turns out to be quite innocent.

nitroglycerine as said above sets off our machines as does peroxcide and garden fertilizers.

All can be used as a component of a bomb.

Stu...
Contact Aberdeen tower on 118.10 G'day.

kmh1956
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:40 am

Like I said, no nitroglycerine.....no peroxide or garden fertilizers either..

deltagator

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:48 am

Who the heck brings a bag of 10-10-10 to the airport?  Wink

Not sure what made you set it off KMH. Perhaps you just have an air of terrorism about you? Probably just something you stepped in or on or rubbed up against from the hotel to the airport.

As for the name of the machine, I'm sure it has an official name but everyone on here and folks I've talked to call it a Puffer as well.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

agpatel

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:51 am

prob from the the rental car? that seems to be a very likely source...or maybe the hotel u were staying at (dont know if you were) had gotten garden work done when you were there...many spots it could come from..
-AnK

mbm3

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:07 am

I just got a false positive on my bag yesterday in STX, which disappeared once the TSA guy cleaned the machine. I did not, however, stop think think about the fertilizer issue. Given that I carry it in my truck after purchase, it is certainly possible for my bag to come in contact with it. Heck, even potting soil can have fertilizer in it and I seem to spill that all the time in my car.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

phljjs

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:31 am

Alot of toiletries, cosmetics and lotions contain glycerine and other materials that when in very large amounts or when mixed with other items can make explosives. These are ordinary, everyday health and beauty items that we all use.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:26 am

I had a client rtn from DEN last winter and he said he set it off because of some wax he used on skis.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

jsposaune

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:39 am

It's quite easy to pick up traces of fertilizer, especially on your shoes. All you have to do is, well...walk on grass!
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

kmh1956
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
Perhaps you just have an air of terrorism about you?

Yeah, that's me all right. I fit the classic profile.....if you're looking for a short, blonde, 49-year old from Bermuda!!!!

Quoting PHLJJS (Reply 10):
Alot of toiletries, cosmetics and lotions contain glycerine

It could have been the shampoo or conditioner. As I was only overnighting at the Logan Hilton, I had already packed my own shampoo and conditioner in my luggage so I used the hotel stuff.

BTW, I had my eye drops confiscated on the way to BOS....forgot they were in my handbag!

deltagator

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 13):
Yeah, that's me all right. I fit the classic profile.....if you're looking for a short, blonde, 49-year old from Bermuda!!!!

I knew you fit the profile...of someone wearing clothing for tropical weather. We can never trust your type.  Wink

kmh1956
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 14):
someone wearing clothing for tropical weather

Especially when it was bloody chilly in Boston last weekend!! It must have been the green striped rugby shirt!!

PolymerPlane

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:58 am

Yeah, I was once stopped at LAX because they detected nitroglycerine in my carry-on. I had no idea what they actually detected. They checked everything through, "tearing" apart every piece of item in my carry-on baggage.

One thing we should keep in mind, the sensors used in airports are not the most accurate detection unit. It is probably good for 95%, but there's still a lot of room for false reading. It's probably a balance between accuracy, speed and price.

Cheers,
PP
One day there will be 100% polymer plane

CaptainJon

Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:10 pm

I was in PBI where the detector was positive for about 2 or 3 people in front of me, at least two or three times. I was positive twice too for something, they didnt say but after the third time going through they seemed satisfied and let me go. At least I didnt have to remove my shoes. Though at EWR I refused to remove my shoes since they just recommend it, not require it, so they just swabbed them instead. Fine with me, at least I was able to sit down.

aviationwiz

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:07 pm

I remember back in 2002 they swabbed my bags at LGA, and it came back positive for something they were looking for.

I had just read recently though that chocolate would set off the equipment, so I knew that was it. When they asked to open the bags, and I took off the lock for them, one guy saw a few boxes of chocolate, showed it to the other guy, and said "Ah, here's the problem." They then just cleared all the bags after I told him there was chocolate in each one.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

TimePilot

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 15):
Especially when it was bloody chilly in Boston last weekend!!

Tell me about it! I flew out Monday morning to ORD. My parents came with me, both wearing jackets. Luckily the plane was stuffy when I boarded. I quickly wrapped myself in a blanket and stayed that way the whole trip.

I should've stolen the blanket; ORD was cold too  Sad

I was in Terminal B at 5:30am and went through security with no trouble at all. In fact, this time they didn't so a second scan on my PowerBook. They ALWAYS do.

bennett123

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:18 pm

At one time the tests would confuse Nitrocellulose with Nitroglycerine.

The problem is that the shiny coating on playing cards was ....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos