Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Timetable
Topic Author

Thomsonfly, LCC Or Chtr Carrier?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:37 am

Hi, I'm very confused @ present if TOM is a charter airline (as it was), or now a LCC. TOM launched its Low Cost Operation 2 years ago in 2004 from bases @ COV, and more recently BOH & DSA. In spring 2006 it launched some, if not all its operations from LGW, MAN, BHX, GLA, LTN, CWL, NCL, EMA and possibly even BRS, MME, LBA, LPL, NWI, & STN into a LCC operation all well. When I look on TOM's website I get the impression that everything has now gone Scheduled on Charter routes, even if the flight is operated 2 or 3 times, many thanks if anybody can help me. Regards from Timetable.

cwldude

RE: Thomsonfly, LCC Or Chtr Carrier?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:12 am

They're a mix of both.

They have low-cost main bases at CVT, BOH, DSA, and soon to be announced, CWL. Whilst also operating charter bases at DSA and CWL.

Their other bases at LGW, MAN, BHX, GLA, LTN, NCL, and EMA are only low-cost on selected routes, mainly to PMI, AGP, ALC, IBZ, & TFS. All other routes are operated as a charter operation, but they do offer the flight only option on these flights.

Hope that makes sense and helps you out!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

cardiffairtaxi

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:57 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 1):
They have low-cost main bases at CVT, BOH, DSA, and soon to be announced, CWL. Whilst also operating charter bases at DSA and CWL

Any idea what routes they will be operating rom CWL?
I hope there are new routes as WW are sooooooo boring!
Probably still have the exact same routes 3 years down the line!

rdwootty

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:19 am

The worrying thing from the customers point of view is that Some flights are covered by a bond in case of failure and others are not. This is most worrying as customers may not know they are not covered in that case.I suspect that tomson will come out of the CAA bond scheme in the near future and so it then be plain for all to see that their money is not covered.

Humberside

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:45 am

I know this isn't going to happen but it would be great if the BY brand was brought back for the charter flights for three reasons:

Restore a well respected and recognised brand
Make it easier for the customer to tell if the flight is covered by a bond (see rdwotty's post above)
Make it easier for me to tell if a flight is a scheduled one or a charter one!!!
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

RedDragon

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Cardiffairtaxi (Reply 2):
Any idea what routes they will be operating rom CWL? I hope there are new routes as WW are sooooooo boring! Probably still have the exact same routes 3 years down the line!

Best post EVA! ...or something.

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
Restore a well respected and recognised brand... Make it easier for me to tell if a flight is a scheduled one or a charter one!!!

It's been said time and again ('cause it's true) that charter passengers give not a flying fuck what airline they're flying with. Branding for short-haul charters is more a case of "we have to really" - it's not as if the World of TUI is trying to poach MyTravel's business based on an inflight meal, is it? Charter passengers are more concerned with the accommodation offered and the price. It's a shame that the 80s/90s-era BY brand is gone, but it's not coming back.

Rich

destinations

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
Restore a well respected and recognised brand
Make it easier for the customer to tell if the flight is covered by a bond (see rdwotty's post above)
Make it easier for me to tell if a flight is a scheduled one or a charter one!!!

I know its a shame but..

How many people do you think care about BY going?

20 maybe 50, deffinatly no more than 100. How many people still fly with Thomson without a care in the world that it changed from BY, in fact most will think its a new airline.

trintocan

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:16 am

To add to Rdwootty's post, the low-cost services from CVT, BOH and DSA are not covered by the failure bond. The flights from other destinations are covered as they are essentially charter flights on which seat-only deals are available. Many of the other UK charter airlines have started offering seat-only deals, which are useful for independent travellers as they serve destinations which have been largely overlooked by the low-cost carriers.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

cwldude

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Cardiffairtaxi (Reply 2):
Any idea what routes they will be operating rom CWL?

Probably something along the lines of:
AGP, PMI, ALC, JSY, BCN, NCE, and Pisa!

Quite boring but I can see them growing as Thomson are definately focusing on CWL as one of their main bases for the time being  Smile !
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

cardiffairtaxi

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:47 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 8):

I think BCN would be a great start.
I think this would be a very popular destination.

samair

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:03 pm

I dont relly understand either thomson went from brittania who you went on 767 for a two hour flight and got sweets before take off 2 choices of meal and kids meals and sweets passed around good entertainment to an airline where you have to pay for meals and the crew arnet half as nice as they used to be and you are given sum 737-500 for a 3 hour flight ,im not complaing but i just dont understand why the uks best charter airline did this?
the captain has now dimmed the lights for take off this is a routine procedure for flights during the hours of darkness!

ba757gla

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:17 pm

does thomson still fly glasgow -naples or was it palma? ( low cost (737) )

TuRbUleNc3

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Samair (Reply 10):
i just dont understand why the uks best charter airline did this?

Thats why Excel won it for 2005  Wink

samair

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:45 pm

at the time 1999 before the crash in gerona they even had there own tv show and everything it was going well, and charter airline of the year
the captain has now dimmed the lights for take off this is a routine procedure for flights during the hours of darkness!

cwldude

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:47 pm

Quoting TuRbUleNc3 (Reply 12):
Thats why Excel won it for 2005

I'm not going to comment!

The whole Britannia > Thomsonfly thing happened because turning Britannia into a low-cost airline was never going to happen, and they had to pull out the stops because nowadays the airline industry is so pierce and competitive that airlines can't afford to give away sweets and meals and everything, so insted of diminshing the Britannia name (which I never liked anyway), they changed it all to Thomsonfly.

planesarecool

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:56 pm

to an airline where you have to pay for meals

They cut prices as a result of making meals optional. So people who don't want them, pay less. Who wants a meal at 11pm? I wouldn't, so why should i pay full fare and get a meal I don't want?

and you are given sum 737-500 for a 3 hour flight

What's wrong with that? It's hardly uncommon for airlines to operate B737's on 3 hour flights.

destinations

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:58 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 14):
Thomsonfly

That name has a flaw, most people spell it wrongly, not people on here because most are in touch with there aviation, but if i had a £1 for everytime i have seen it spelt Thompsonfly

cornish

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:05 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 5):
It's been said time and again ('cause it's true) that charter passengers give not a flying fuck what airline they're flying with. Branding for short-haul charters is more a case of "we have to really" - it's not as if the World of TUI is trying to poach MyTravel's business based on an inflight meal, is it? Charter passengers are more concerned with the accommodation offered and the price. It's a shame that the 80s/90s-era BY brand is gone, but it's not coming back.

Ultimately the Charter carriers have had to adapt in the face of the massive LCC growth here in the UK in particular. Once the LCCs started targetting the resorts of Spain and Portugal, coupled with the change in holiday habits as more and more people either book accomodation and flights separate, or becuase they have actually bought holiday property, then the charters had to change their models.

Long haul charter is safe for now, as is the more distant eastern med destinations, but the changes with monarch scheduled, Mytravel Lite (which didnt work), Thomsonfly are all examples of where the need to meet the LCC challenge created these arms of the airlines.

[Edited 2006-08-31 15:10:10]
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos