Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SInGAPORE_AIR
Topic Author

Taiwan To Rename TPE To "Taoyuan International"

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:22 pm

Taiwan is considering removing the name of late President Chiang Kai-shek from its main international airport... in the Taoyuan area near Taipei, to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.

The new name "will make (visitors from) overseas understand even clearer this is Taiwan," Su told reporters.

China, which sees Taiwan as its breakaway province, is watching closely Taiwan's "de-sinocization" moves

International Herald Tribune and Bangkok Post
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

airways1

RE: Taiwan To Rename TPE To "Taoyuan International"

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:08 pm

How will this make visitors from overseas understand even clearer this is Taiwan?

At least Chiang Kaishek has a name associated with Taiwan. Who will even know what Taoyuan refers to, let alone associate it with Taiwan?

And anyway, I'm sure most overseas visitors are well enough aware of the situation, and don't need reminding that they are in Taiwan when they arrive in Taipei.

surrenr

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 pm

Well,I know Taoyuan because I live here.

CPH757

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting Airways1 (Reply 1):
At least Chiang Kaishek has a name associated with Taiwan. Who will even know what Taoyuan refers to, let alone associate it with Taiwan?

Probably because it will be called "Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport"  Wink

Quoting Airways1 (Reply 1):
And anyway, I'm sure most overseas visitors are well enough aware of the situation, and don't need reminding that they are in Taiwan when they arrive in Taipei.

Good point. The emphasis is probably to include Taiwan in the name though, as to piss of the mainland government...will this mean that we are going to wait longer for direct flights between Taiwan and the mainland?

In addition, it's nice to see that some people intend to remove this vulgar name from the airport...It does not suit a democracy, no matter of his status in Taiwan...
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

9MMAR

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:41 am

First Johannesburg (from a location's name to a name of a person), then Taipei (from a name of a person to a location's name). Hmm... a new trend?

malaysia

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:05 am

Chiang Kai-Shek will roll in his grave, so will Soong Mei-Ling
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

superhub

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:21 am

The Democratic Progressive Party has been pushing for this for a while now. This is a move not only to anger China but also the Nationalist Party. I wonder what Ma Ying Jiu (Taipei's mayor) can do about this..but maybe TPE is not in his jurisdiction.

kaitak

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:35 am

How do you pronounce that anyway - Tao-yawn? (I'm not being funny, I just have problems with the second syllable!)

CKS rolls off the tongue pretty quickly, just as CLK does, for HKG.

In any case, I don't see why the Chinese would mind the name CKS being taken off an airport; he isn't uppermost in their list of favourite people in history?

cch362

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 7):
In any case, I don't see why the Chinese would mind the name CKS being taken off an airport; he isn't uppermost in their list of favourite people in history?

In the least, Chiang Kai Shek was Chinese, not Taiwanese. So removing his name is in effect erasing another linkage to China.

VonRichtofen

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:46 am

The Average North American doesn't know the difference between Taiwan and Thailand, let alone who Chiang Kai-shek was or where Taoyuan is.

I don't think this will help much.

Kris

Avatordon

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:09 am

Might not be a bad idea to change the name of the airport from someone who had the derisive nickname of Generalissimo "Cash My Check"

ATLFlyer323

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 9):
The Average North American doesn't know the difference between Taiwan and Thailand

I would like to fight against that statement.  box 

let alone who Chiang Kai-shek was or where Taoyuan is.

Yeah, but not that one.  bigthumbsup 

~Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

VonRichtofen

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:07 pm

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 11):
I would like to fight against that statement.

Hehehe c'mon man, you know it's true. Just tell any Joe schmoe on the street that you're going to Taiwan and they'll probably say something like "My brother went to Bangkok, he said it was great" or "Are you staying in Phuket?"

Even the guys I work with (well traveled airline employees) don't get it. When I tell them my brother and sister live in Taiwan the reply I usually get is "Oh, what do they do in Thailand?

That's just one example. Let's face it the average joe in North America is a geographical retard.

Kris

9MMAR

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 7):
How do you pronounce that anyway - Tao-yawn? (I'm not being funny, I just have problems with the second syllable!)

I think it's 'Tao-you-one'. Can someone verify this?

surrenr

RE: Taiwan To Rename TPE To "Taoyuan International

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:16 pm

It is pronounced Tao-yen

CPH757

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:24 pm

or rather tao yew-ahn...

anyway, it's impossible to get the correct pronounciation without the Chinese characters or a tone indication  Smile
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

airways1

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 15):
anyway, it's impossible to get the correct pronounciation without the Chinese characters or a tone indication

I can't put the chinese characters here because they don't seem to encode properly, but the pronunciation in hanyu pinyin with tones indicated is táoyuán. Incidentally, it means 'peach garden'.

LPLAspotter

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:46 pm

How many airports have changed names in the past 10 years? The only one that pops to my head is Sir Seewusagur Ramgoolam (Mauritius) which was called Plaisance at the time I visited it. Also, Reunion is now Rolland Garros while it was Gillot when I was there. Can anybody think of any other? Maybe I should start a new thread

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

ltbewr

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:52 pm

By removing the Chang Kai-Shek name and going to a local reference name, they may be trying to remove a name that creates problems with the PRC government.
One has to understand the strange history between Taiwan and the PRC as well as Chang Kai-Shek. Chang Kai-Shek was recognized, especially by the USA, as the leader of Free China or Republic of China and based in Taiwan from after the Communists took over China until the early 1970's. Then the Communist mainland government was recognized in a conterversial vote in the UN, including support by the USA. Since then Taiwan then is for technical diplomatic purposes part of the PRC. The people of Taiwan was condider themselves as a semi-independent country with special ties to the PRC. Taiwan has separate commercial offices from the PRC for trade purposes.

HKGKaiTak

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:09 pm

Haven't people been calling TPE "Taoyuan" for years, unofficially at least? I remember the the media and travel books I've come across usually refers to the airport as "Taoyuan" and not Chiang Kai-Shek. Otherwise as a non-Taiwanese, and especially one living in the Antipodes, I wouldn't know the airport is in Taoyuan ...

Still, whilst I don't know much about Taiwanese politics, it sounds like a political stunt and one to inflict embarrassment to the nationalists.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

vfw614

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting Superhub (Reply 6):
I wonder what Ma Ying Jiu (Taipei's mayor) can do about this..but maybe TPE is not in his jurisdiction.

Taoyuan actually is a city of 400.000 inhabitants and capital of the county of the same name - and quite a distance away from Taipei (which has its own airport, Sungshan, only used for domestic and short-haul international flights). In a way, it is as if the airport in Oakland was to be renamed Oakland Airport after being called San Francisco for a couple of decades. Remember also the discussions you have everywhere when airports are named after politician that are seen as figureheads for the policy of a certain political movement.

cch362

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting LPLAspotter (Reply 17):
How many airports have changed names in the past 10 years?

Narita was once New Tokyo International Airport before it went private in 2004.

I guess they can say that changing CKS to Taoyuan is just a copycat move after the Japanese, but the political motivations are still there.

B2443

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 18):
Chang Kai-Shek was recognized, especially by the USA, as the leader of Free China or Republic of China and based in Taiwan from after the Communists took over China until the early 1970's.

Taiwan wasn't truely "free" under CKS..it was just merely not communist so it fit US' anti-communism front. Taiwan did not have its first "presidential" election until 1996.

Avatordon

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:35 am

Good point B2443. Aren't most of the people of Taiwan of a different ethnicity from Mainland China anyway? Someone please clarify that. Also, as to the airport naming, it sounds an awful lot like FCO - Fiumicino - Airport, in Rome. That is, the town/village that it's in, rather than anything to do w/anything - political or otherwise.

B2443

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:16 am

Quoting Avatordon (Reply 23):
Aren't most of the people of Taiwan of a different ethnicity from Mainland China anyway?

I am not sure how many aboriginals there were before 1949 when CKS fled to Taiwan. But I would still believe Han Chinese make up the majority of the 23 million people on the island. I do know the "local" language the Taiwanese claim as their own - "Tai Yu" - Taiwanese, is nothing local but a southern Fujian (mainland) dialect. Perhaps google or wikipedia offers more/accurate coverage?

BreninTW

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 20):
and short-haul international flights

IIRC Sung Shan (TSA) doesn't have any regular international flights at all -- although it is still officially called an "International Airport" and has an international terminal. There is an occassional special international flight for either political or prestige reasons.

Bren

vfw614

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:39 pm

I remember that last year when I was in Taiwan a couple of charter flights to mainland China were operated from Sung Shan (or there was discussion about it). I think it had to do with some kind of holiday. But I might be wrong. You are of course correct that it is not the designated international gateway. Probably the Taiwanese government would not be too keen to have flights to the PRC operated from Taipei's domestic airport... (the PRC would love it though, I guess).

TPEcanuck

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:46 am

Just to chime in here...

Yes, the change of name is, in part, motivated by political factors. However, Taoyuan, the city where the airport is located, strongly supports the opposition party (that favours eventual re-unification with China) so I'm not completely sure that it's just politics. Ok ok, it is! That's how things are.

As to the question of Taiwanese ethnicity, yes, the vast majority of Taiwanese are ethnically Chinese, mostly from Fujian Province and a sizeable Hakka population, along with those who came from China with the Nationalist part in the late 1940s.

As for Sung-Shan, it has been used for Chinese New Year Charter flights to the Mainland. Also, there is talk that IF the opposition party wins the 2008 elections, Taiwan will enter talks to make the flights permanent and use Sung-Shan as the airport, minimizing conflicts of the status of the flights. (domestic vs international) Using Sung-Shan for these flights makes great sense, and I would imagine the bulk of traffic would be business travellers from Taipei's Neihu and Nangang Science parks, the Sung-Shan is MUCH closer than CKS.

Plus...my apartment has a sweet view of the Sung-Shan approach...so a little more variety flying into the airport would be nice!

Cheers all!
Darren

MarkATL

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 11):
The Average North American doesn't know the difference between Taiwan and Thailand

I would like to fight against that statement.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 12):
Even the guys I work with (well traveled airline employees) don't get it. When I tell them my brother and sister live in Taiwan the reply I usually get is "Oh, what do they do in Thailand?

That's just one example. Let's face it the average joe in North America is a geographical retard.

I hate to say it but it's so true. I was non-reving once from ATL to OAK via SLC. At the last minute a "red coat" came on the aircraft and said "Mark we sold your seat, I need you get your stuff and get off the plane ASAP." No problem, I got up and left. As I was walking through the terminal I saw an SFO flight about to close. I walked up and asked if there was any seats left and the senior of the two gate agents said "sure", the new very junior guy in a very worried tone asked "but how will you get to Oakland?" I replied "I dunno, I swim or someting" The senior guy looked at him with a WTF look and said "they're right accross from eachother". Now if an airline gate agent who does such things as re-route passengers doesn't even know the multiple airport cities i.e. NYC, DC, Miami, Houston, Chicago, LA, Dallas (I know, I know, the Wright ammendment restrictions) SF Bay and Chicago. We as a group are georgraphicly challenged.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos