Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

redflyer
Topic Author

EADS: "Things To Get Worse Before They Get Better"

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:08 am

Ran across this article on BAE's decision to go ahead with the sale of its stake in EADS. Couldn't help but notice this comment:

But with serious question marks over the development and cost of the A380, BAE is thought to have concluded that a quick sale is in the best interests of its shareholders because, according to one analyst, 'things will probably get a lot worse at EADS before they get better'.

I was under the impression that they (EADS) had turned the corner with new management and a decision towards a solid product offering.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1863505,00.html
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

corey07850

RE: EADS: "Things To Get Worse Before They Get Better"

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:35 am

The quote was according to an analyst, not according to EADS

dallasnewark

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 1):

And when was the last time you have ever seen a corporation making a statement that things would get a lot worse prior to getting better?
The answer is never.

Wall Street would devastate a corporation making such a statement
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

redflyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 1):

Sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to render the comment as someone else's quote from the article (rather than my own opinion), and did not intend to attribute it to EADS.

Now, if I could only change the title...
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

airfrnt

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:37 pm

It just confirms that BAE wants no part in the cost, or the percieved benefits from the 350++.

Lumberton

RE: EADS: "Things To Get Worse Before They Get Bet

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:10 am

Sad sign of the times. All it takes is for some journalist somewhere to write an article based on rumor or hearsay (or as we see here an "analyst" presumably opining), an editor to clear it, and a publisher who accedes to this kind of journalism. Also, with the proliferation of blogs, some quite good, others spurious, rumors are easy to start.

IMO, BAE wants out not because they see an EADS train wreck coming, but because it fits with their business strategy.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

redflyer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 5):
IMO, BAE wants out not because they see an EADS train wreck coming, but because it fits with their business strategy.

I see your point, but I'm not sure losing over £1 billion (US$1.9 billion) is part of their business strategy either.

Lumberton

RE: EADS: "Things To Get Worse Before They Get Bet

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 6):
I see your point, but I'm not sure losing over £1 billion (US$1.9 billion) is part of their business strategy either.

BAE did not "lose" £1 billion in an operating (i.e., P&L sense); maybe in an accounting context, same as "goodwill". If it was an expectation tht was factored into their share price, it's long since been market adjusted by now.

[Edited 2006-09-03 17:30:45]
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

supa7E7

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:46 am

Airbus's successful products of the future:

A380-900 (released 2008)
A350-900
A320-Revised (using ideas from Boeing Y1, perhaps improving them)

These products are quite invisible to us now in 2006. But they will be great, in time.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

ebbuk

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:49 am

Oh sacre bleu! One analyst has whispered in BAE's ear that he (or she) thinks that things will get worse before they get better at EADS.

PANIC PANIC PANIC! DOOM and GLOOM- on anet

The reality is that in the timeframe that BAE has given itself to achieve its objectives, their stake in Airbus will not help it reach that goal

Everyone else who sees the bigger picture- EASY STREET, TELL US SOMETHING NEW

sllevin

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:58 am

Just going through with the sale makes it obvious that BAE has come to the conclusion that their stake will not return to it's previous value for quite some time. As far as "getting worse" -- that's a different story.

But if BAE doesn't feel the stake will return to its previous value within 7-10 years, then it makes sense to sell now and take the hit.

Steve

mariner

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 6):

All we can learn from that is that BAE has (i) lousy timing or (ii) very optimistic accountants.

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 3):
I was trying to render the comment as someone else's quote from the article

But who? The "analyst" is un-named.

And it is a perfectly safe bet - things may get worse before they get better.

The new CEO, Mr. Strief, has said so. I'd trust him over some un-named "analyst".

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

thebry

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 8):

A380-900 (released 2008)
A350-900

These products are quite invisible to us now in 2006. But they will be great, in time.

"Successful products of the future"?? Does that sound strange to anyone else?

ebbuk

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Thebry (Reply 12):
"Successful products of the future"?? Does that sound strange to anyone else?

yeah all composite planes

redflyer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 11):
And it is a perfectly safe bet - things may get worse before they get better.

A "safe bet"? Interesting. Inasmuch as I think Airbus has lost its way, I would have bet that they are on the right track to recovery. While I certianly would not have backed up my bet with an investment in the company, I would never have ventured to say that it's a safe bet that things may get worse before they get better.

And that is why I started this thread...reading the article on BAE's sale came as a surprise when I read that an analyst predicted things would get worse over at EADS before they get better.

What I want to know is what exactly at EADS/Airbus is going to pop next? Is there any truth to the latest rumors that the A400M is going to fall behind schedule? More A380 delays?

mariner

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:31 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 14):
I would have bet that they are on the right track to recovery.

You are looking at it from the perspective of aircraft manufacture.

This un-named (maybe non-existant?) analyst is talking about valuation - the share price and the BAE shareholding.

The two do not necessarily go hand in glove.

I would never have ventured to say that it's a safe bet that things may get worse before they get better.

It is fairly common when companies go through a crisis. I guess the obvious one is Daimler Chrysler, after the merger.

Airbus went through a crisis, and has taken certain actions to recover. This does not mean that all the financial issues and ramifications of the crisis have gone away, or are even known.

Mr. Streif has set up the financial community to expect more A380 delays. He will get a honeymoon.

But if the effect on profits are greater than what is already expected, then the honeymon won't last.

What I want to know is what exactly at EADS/Airbus is going to pop next?

And you believe anyone here can tell you? Gosh.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

baron95

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:36 pm

All this talk of doom and gloom first for Boeing then for Airbus. Have people lost total ability to put things in perspective?

Boeing and Airbus are the dominant (near duo-polist) players in one of the top 6 most important industries in the planet (next to oil, auto, construction, electronics, telecom). Their industry has less competition (by number of significant players) then all the other top sectors.

Unless they screw-up royaly, both Airbus and Boeing stand to make (scratch that "mint") money for years and years. It would take an earthquake to unseat them or for customers to allow either of them to become marginalized.

So relax. Ups and downs in business is nothing new. These are top rate engineering and production powerhouses - the top dogs in one of the top industry. They have killed off or swallowed all the other major competitors (save Embraer and Bombardier at the low end). The future is bright indeed.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

billreid

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 8):

A380-900 (released 2008)
A350-900

You obviously know far more than BAE. What's your investment in EADS, 100 Mil, perhaps 500 Mil, or even better still some stupid comments and Nil Euros.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos