Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

billreid
Topic Author

CanJet Winter Schedule On Hold

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:28 am

CanJet's placed its winter schedule on hold.
What is going on?
Are they thinking about a merger?
Is the airline looking at transforming into a charter only airline?
Are they losing so much money that maybe they will transform into a C3 or CJ1 dino?

Or are they just dragging their proverbial feet?

Winter schedule on WWW.canjet.com
PIE 1X week from YHZ only
SRQ 1X week from YYZ, 1X week from YOW
MCO 1X week fro YHZ
FLL nil
WPB nil
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

Salomon

RE: CanJet Winter Schedule On Hold

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting BillReid (Thread starter):
Is the airline looking at transforming into a charter only airline?

This rumor has been around for quite some time now. I beleive Canjet isn't doing very well with their schedule service. They don't have the right aircraft to compete with Air Canada and Jazz's regional jets and to enter smaller cities like YSJ, YYG, YFC or YQY. For example, they can't effer 3 daily flights on YHZ-YDF can or 5 daily YYZ-YQM like Jazz.

Quoting BillReid (Thread starter):
Are they thinking about a merger?

They have a good reputation in the east. They have been providing good service for over 4 years now. Maybe, like it was suggested before, Westjet could be interested...
Takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory.

markabcan

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:03 am

After looking at there current schedule it seems that they continue to make cutbacks in their scheduled operations. It would appear some frequencies are down compared to last winter, interesting situation! Also interesting that there was a press release stating Calgary will remain in Canjets long term plans? Perhaps they have decided to continue service through the winter?

I really hope Canjet can keep its scheduled ops going, its nice to have a third player in Canada that actually has a reasonable presence, especially if they keep Calgary and continues to codeshare with Harmony on Vancouver! Perhaps a codeshare with Harmony on the Calgary route could help profitability?

FLYACYYZ

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting Salomon (Reply 1):
Maybe, like it was suggested before, Westjet could be interested...

Can't imagine what WS would be interested in. An aging fleet of leased 737's?? WS is free to fly wherever and whenever they care to, and really have little use for C6.
Above and Beyond

matt

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:12 am

I know that this winter, they will be operating a lot fewer charter flights out of Halifax. Where they operated 14 a week last winter (2006) on behalf of Transat Holidays, Conquest and Sunquest, they will only operate 7 a week this winter (2007), on behalf of Sunquest. Transat Holidays will be using WestJet and their own planes (Air Transat), whereas Conquest will be using Air Canada planes.

I don't know what their charter schedule looks like out of Central Canada (Qu�bec, Ontario).
Next flights: YQM-YUL-YVR-YUL-YQM / YQM-YYZ-HKG-DXB-BCN-YUL-YQM

wolsingerjet

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:29 am

Canjet is still fully pulling out of western canada.Loads on the YYC route are far from ''hot''.Having flown them to YYZ personally I can tell you it was surreal to see only 7 other pax on the flight.The carrier doesnt have the product to compete against AC and WJ.
Guess what???I dont like you either...

markabcan

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Reply 5):
Having flown them to YYZ personally I can tell you it was surreal to see only 7 other pax on the flight.

I wonder why they upped the frequency to 2 flight/daily this summer with such poor loads?

9252fly

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:11 am

The owner of C6 is Ken Rowe. I believe he's a smart man and would ditch the scheduled services of the airline if he thought it wise. He's been in and out of the scheduled airline business many times and if C6 is unlikely to provide a return on investment to the IMP Group,then it's gone,done and finished.

billreid
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting 9252fly (Reply 7):
The owner of C6 is Ken Rowe. I believe he's a smart man and would ditch the scheduled services of the airline if he thought it wise. He's been in and out of the scheduled airline business many times and if C6 is unlikely to provide a return on investment to the IMP Group,then it's gone,done and finished.

Is this your prediction?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

yyz717

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:45 am

The C6 domestic skeds are very seasonal with a summer emphasis. They are balanced by increased charter flying in the winter from YYZ/YHZ etc.

This will be the first full fall/winter schedule with 10 737's (last winter was 9).

So to me it looks simply like business as usual with a slightly larger fleet and no new destinations. Perhaps C6 has found the right formula and is sticking with it.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

wolsingerjet

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:48 am

Canjet ends YYC service this month,I am just not sure what day???
Guess what???I dont like you either...

Yikes!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:07 am

CanJet will not pay its pilots a decent wage. There have been many direct entry captains refuse the job a the last minute. First Officers, given the chance, go to Jazz or WestJet.

They have been cancelling domestic runs due to lack of crews to fly their fleet.

No pension, no profit sharing and until recently no overtime. Both pilots and flight attendants unionized within a week of each other a few months ago. The maintenance department has the only real positive leadership that not only averted unionization, but brought their engineering staff up to a decent scale of remuneration.

Skywatcher

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:13 am

In my home market (YUL), C6 are doing more sub-contracting/flying for Transat holidays. They currently operate 2 flights every Saturday & Sunday to Cuba/Dominican Republic.This was not the case last year. They seem to be focusing more on this type of service than in the past. I quess it works better for them. It also alleviates the necessity for Transat to operate smaller aircraft in the 737 size range and therefore results in the proverbial win/win situation.

BTW-I believe that it is way cheaper to live as a captain based in YHZ than say YYZ. Why shouldn't their pay reflect this reality.

Salomon

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting Skywatcher (Reply 12):
BTW-I believe that it is way cheaper to live as a captain based in YHZ than say YYZ. Why shouldn't their pay reflect this reality.

Sometimes, pilots don't live where they are based. My neighbor is captain for Jazz, he lives in Quebec City and is based in Montreal. I even heard of a Air Canada pilot who lives in the 'Iles Turquoises'.
Takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory.

9252fly

Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting BillReid (Reply 8):
Quoting 9252fly (Reply 7):

Is this your prediction?

Call it what you want.

Yikes!

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:57 am

Well, it's done and finished as of 10 Sept.

Ken Rowe is closing the doors. Nearly all pilots have notices of termination. This is the second time he's done this. The last was with Air Atlantic, turned InterCanadian in 1998 or 99.

Union busting. No other word for it. As he promised from the start, and as recently as a few months ago when both pilots and flight attendants unionized within weeks of each other.

What a stupid business. Especially in Canada.

Cessnapimp

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:38 am

I don't blame him for stopping the sked service. If something doesn't make money and you have exhausted your solutions/options, you amputate the gangreous limb however...

I do blame IMP/Rowe for starting the thing all over again. There must have been enough data/evidence from the first try (C6 Y2K) to show that the venture was not profitable... not under the 737 formula anyway. Was IMP stuck with leases on 737's? Was that the main reason why they re-started? Time for some post-mortem buisness forensics, whaddaya guys (and gals) think?

CMHSRQ

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting Cessnapimp (Reply 16):
I don't blame him for stopping the sked service. If something doesn't make money and you have exhausted your solutions/options, you amputate the gangreous limb however...

I do blame IMP/Rowe for starting the thing all over again. There must have been enough data/evidence from the first try (C6 Y2K) to show that the venture was not profitable... not under the 737 formula anyway. Was IMP stuck with leases on 737's? Was that the main reason why they re-started? Time for some post-mortem buisness forensics, whaddaya guys (and gals) think?

I think 4 years ago when oil was $17 a barrel they were profitable, but not at $70.
The voice of moderation

Yikes!

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:36 am

They restarted with the -200's for which Rowe continued to hold the leases even after C3 had absorbed CanJet I. All of those are gone and replaced and augmented by -500's and one -300. Not the best aircraft for transcon to say the least, but a lot more fuel efficient than the older fleet. With those new aircraft came new leases. All this after the commencement of CJ II. A proposed reason for the timed shutdown was the expiry of the original leases.

They had a successful model last year and were recruiting pilots to fly their routes. They couldn't get new pilots, they couldn't keep their existing pilots. So they started cutting back their routes. With the cutback, they have lost market share. They insulted their senior first officers and junior captains by offering direct entry captains a higher salary. In the pee-contest that followed, both pilots and f/a's unionized. That was just a few months ago.

He has limited CJ II's growth potential by refusing to pay a fair wage. He is shutting down the airline to spite his newly unionized crewmembers. CJ II is just a small part of the much bigger consortium of companies under the IMP umbrella.

True to his word, he's closing the doors. But he still has leases on all these newer aircraft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos