Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLY2LIM

RE: Pilots That Survived Crash And Flew Again

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 3):
The pilot of the UA DC10 that crashed in Sioux City, Iowa finished his career with UA.

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 8):
The pilot of the UA DC10 that crashed in Sioux City, Iowa finished his career with UA.

Incorrect.

Captain Haynes continued to fly until 1991.

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 15):

Nope. What he said is written above. And it is wrong.

Quoting KabAir (Reply 16):
I actually had Captain Haynes on a flight DEN-SEA about a week after he returned to flying for UA. I was flying as an unaccompanied minor and I got to meet him after the flight. He let me sit in his seat, and signed a magazine for me (which my wife apparently tossed out about a year ago - AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!). I still remember the experience vividly, he was the nicest man and I felt like I was meeting a true hero (and indeed he was and is just that)!

So yes, Captain Haynes did fly again.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 18):
That's how I interpreted it, and, obviously, most other members. No need to be so jumpy.

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 30):
LOL I read it as intended the first time, but there should be a comma after Iowa or it could be taken as all one statement I suppose. lol

The lack of a comma, while grammatically incorrect, does not give the sentence a different meaning.
I fully understood that Haynes finished his career at UA, despite having crashed. I never thought that the thread stated that the crashed finished his career at UA.
From what I remember, Cpt. Haynes was very close to retirement when he brought his plane down in Sioux City, a feat that few could have even attempted since he had lost all hydraulics (a.nutters, correct me if I'm wrong). This prompted a debate as to whether or not the mandatory retirement age of 60 was necessary, since Cpt. Haynes used his many years of experience to save the lives of many passengers.
I remember seeing footage of him getting off the plane on his final flight.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

aero145

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:42 am

My friend crashed his DHC-1 Chipmunk over 20 years ago, he hurt himself unbelievably much, but is flying every now year, and pretty much. He even owns another Chippy now. Big grin

wrighbrothers

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 29):
believe that the BA pilot who was sucked out of the cockpit of a BAc 111 also returned to line flying.

I'm not sure about that, but the F/O is still with BA.

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 5):
All three returned to PAA,the capt retired at 60,he died about 5 years ago,fo ended up at UAL with the Pacific deal.

What about the F/O and F/E (i.e, what was their path after the crash) ?

Quoting DeC (Reply 36):
But not the captain i assume?

No, he was fired.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

MKEdude

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 12):
What about Michael Origel, the FO who survived the AA Little Rock crash?

I remember hearing about this guy. He did fly again for AA but he was eventually fired for something else.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

JAT74L

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 34):
Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 29):
I believe that the BA pilot who was sucked out of the cockpit of a BAc 111 also returned to line flying.

I believe his name was Tim Lancaster and they were diverted to Bournemouth. Upon landing the Fire Brigade elected to remove him from the outside - as it was easier. One of the FA's kept hold of his ankles on the way down and he survived - would love to know if he's still flying!

Regards

John
I like trains just as much as planes but trains don't like the Atlantic!

Boeing747_600

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 21):
The captain of the SQ crash in TPE also continues/continued with SQ...

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry Moderator, I hope you will forgive the caps not to mention the excessive exclamation )

The TPE accident was a POSTER CHILD for pilot error - I cant imagine even a 3rd rate charter airline letting them fly passenger aircraft again after something like that.

I expected that a whole slew of my fellow nutters would have preceded my outrage by now - What gives?!?!

comet4b

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:38 am

As of Feb 2005 he was a pilot with Easyjet

markyboy

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:40 am

Jat741 I recall watching a program on the British Airways BAC1-11. I believe it diverted to Southampton and not Bournemouth but I may be wrong. I also believe the FA, a male, never flew again and suffers from post traumatic stress disorder.

Regards,

markyboy.

MKEdude

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Comet4b (Reply 56):
As of Feb 2005 he was a pilot with Easyjet

Who?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

JBirdAV8r

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 46):
He didn't say "finished out", he said "finished" which in US English means terminates or ends at that moment.

Incorrect.

Take out the fluff and you get "pilot finished career" according to "US English."

To arrive at the meaning you interpreted incorrectly, you might say "pilot's career was finished." The operator "was" changes the definition of the word "finished."

Semantics either way. The slight mistake was not worthy of mention in the first place; however, since you pointed it out, you should accept criticism of your own mistakes.

By the way, you misplaced a comma in the above quote. Big deal--I know what you meant, as well as all the other readers.

And it was United 232, not 292.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

RIXrat

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:45 am

Capt. Haynes, after retirement, continued to give speeches on airline safety as an aviation consultant. However, a few years ago his daughter caught some dreaded disease and a fund was established to get her through some complicated surgery. Anyone can throw some further information as to the results?

av757

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:49 am

I was the copilot of TAVINA Colombia´s HK-1711 in the Cienaga Grande ditching due to a right engine failure after take off from BAQ on January 9 of 1978. It was a Britten-Norman BN-2A Trislander Mk.III-1, c/n 1002 with 14 passengers and 2 crew members on board with no fatalities.

I flew with Tavina for another year, and have been flying with Avianca since January 29 of 1979.

I now fly as a captain for the Boeing 757/767 at Avianca.

Regards:
AV757

pilot21

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:19 am

From the Flight Crew of the DHL A300 that survived the rocket attack after take off from Bagdad, I believe the F/E retired straight afterwards with the Captain and F/O continuing to fly.
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:28 am

Speaking of Avianca, what about the JFK accident? Did they survive?  Confused
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

F9Animal

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:45 am

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

He didn't say "finished out", he said "finished" which in US English means terminates or ends at that moment.

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 50):
The lack of a comma, while grammatically incorrect, does not give the sentence a different meaning.
I fully understood that Haynes finished his career at UA, despite having crashed. I never thought that the thread stated that the crashed finished his career at UA.
From what I remember, Cpt. Haynes was very close to retirement when he brought his plane down in Sioux City, a feat that few could have even attempted since he had lost all hydraulics (a.nutters, correct me if I'm wrong). This prompted a debate as to whether or not the mandatory retirement age of 60 was necessary, since Cpt. Haynes used his many years of experience to save the lives of many passengers.
I remember seeing footage of him getting off the plane on his final flight.

FLY2LIM

Yikes! Haynes continued working for UA after he turned in his wings. I remember him stating he did training for UA CRM.

Whatever the case, he hopped back into a UA plane after the crash.

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 60):
Capt. Haynes, after retirement, continued to give speeches on airline safety as an aviation consultant. However, a few years ago his daughter caught some dreaded disease and a fund was established to get her through some complicated surgery. Anyone can throw some further information as to the results?

His daughter did indeed get diagnosed with lukemia (or something similar to it). He worked like crazy to save her, and he succeeded with the help of donations. I remember hearing that UA even assisted with this. She did have the needed medical procedures, and had success with it. She needed a bone marrow transplant.

Capt. Haynes is indeed still at it. I got conformation. Great link, and excellent speakers! I spoke with someone here, and learned that his daughter is doing good!

http://www.aviationspeakers.com/Speakers/alfred-haynes.php

http://www.aviationspeakers.com/
I Am A Different Animal!!

av757

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:52 am

No, none of the flight crew survived the Cove Neck accident of AV052, only one flight attendand; and he never flew again.

AV757

aviateur

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:16 am

To take this in a slightly different direction -- TWA captain John Testrake finished out his career with that airline following the infamous 727 hijacking back in the mid-1980s. He passed away a few years ago.

Also, I believe the UA 747 captain involved in the cargo door separation and decompression out of HNL, in which a number of pax were killed, was on his final flight before retirement!

- PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

777STL

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 am

And the majority of readers here took that to mean as I intended, Capt. Haynes finished his career with UA AFTER the accident.

Just look at the context of the thread and the thread title, why in god's name would I throw in an incorrect comment about a pilot who DIDN'T continue to fly in a thread about pilots who DID continue to fly after a major incident. It is you sir, who is wrong.
PHX based

FedExDC-10

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 40):
I remember watching Air Crash Investigation. There was the cargo flight on a DC 10 where 1 of the crew tried to take over the plane withnumerous weapons including a spear gun. All pilotsinvolved were not allowed to fly again because of their head inhjuries. They said that they may have epileptic fits.

Correct. The incident of which you speak was Federal Express Flight 705, which occurred on April 7, 1994. To my knowledge the crew were never again cleared to fly. Captain Sanders is now past the magic age of 60. The first officer, who was in fact also a captain by rank, James Tucker, suffered the most severe injuries and moved to Alabama. The only one I believe who may perhaps be eligible at some point in the future to return (And I don't know this, I'm just making that statement because I do not know for a fact that he is permanently uneligible) is Second Officer Andy Peterson.
Avweb did a wonderful profile on Capt. Tucker, found here, and Dave Hirschman also wrote an excellent book on the incident. I commend them both to your reading.

FedExDC-10

Mr.BA

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:59 am

What's the title of the book by Dave Hirschman? Available on Amazon or any other cheaper online stores?

Thanks!
Boeing747 万岁!

aviateur

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:01 am

It's called "Hijacked." It's a good quick potboiler. I remember reading it one night en route to MEX while ostensibly "working" at the FE station of my DHL DC-8.

Auburn Calloway was the jumpseater's name. He nearly killed all three crew. His plan was to fly the DC-10 into FedEx's headquarters at Memphis.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos