Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jonno

RE: Pilot Reprimands Passengers For Cell Phones

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:16 am

The pilot is in command of the flight. Full stop. If the pilot tells you to do something, you do it or risk arrest upon arrival.

riyadhnurse

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:05 am

In these scary times its incomprehensible to me why people continue to behave in such selfish and self-absorbed manner. Last month I understand 12 a/c were diverted due to pax's behaviors or noncompliance. How much money does that cost the carrier,and don't they pass that along to the pax's who can behave in a sane and sensible manor ?I thought interfering with a flt crew was a Federal offense,is anyone being prosecuted, and are the carriers holding these Moron"s feet to the fire in order to stop this reprehensible behavior ? If not why? Are they waiting for another smoking hole in the ground and body count?  flamed 
Tongue-tied and twisted,just an earthbound misfit,I.

AirWillie6475

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Thread starter):
always understood the "no cell phone" policy to be a MYTH and that it doesn't really interfere with anything. Obviously I always turn mine off just in case, but I did not ever imagine that a cell phone could cause that much interference. The most shocking part though, was the way the pilot informed us of the problem. I had never had any negative experiences with South African Airways, but the pilot could have definately been less condescending.

And where did you learn of that, here? There is a reason why airlines say those things in the safety message. As far as the harsh tone of the pilot, maybe they were just tired and had no patience for idiot pax.

HAL

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 44):
Mythbusters tested this. They proved quite conclusively that given a properly shielded set of avionics, a cell phone will NOT interfere.

I'm glad to hear that the scientifically rigorous and exacting techniques used by Jamie and Adam have proven all of the other technical experts wrong.

Hello people!!! Get a life! You do not need to use the cell phones in flight - turn them off! You really aren't that important!

Quoting SP90 (Reply 29):
Quoting HAL (Reply 10):
You understood wrong. I have had interference on my flights before, including one where we heard an old lady's conversation over our headsets telling her daughter which gate she would be arriving at (obviously on our flight).

How long ago was this? How is it that whatever piece of equipment picking up the signal actually decoded it for you to hear the conversation?

It was the summer of '99 in a Saab 340 approaching Pittsburgh PA. I flew for Chautauqua Airlines as part of the USAirways Express system. Yes, it was probably an analog phone back then. But remember most phones these days are multi-band, and will switch to analog if it can't find a digital signal!

In this industry we do not make rules just for fun. We don't sit at a table late at night figuring out ways to piss off our customers. The rules we do make are for one reason: Safety, Safety, Safety. I have absolutely no desire to make you mad. However if you ignore our rules and threaten my own life, you bet I'll get mad and let you know about it. I want to get back home to my wife and son as much as anyone else in the plane, and have a personal interest in ending the flight safely and without incident. Let me state again (for about the twentieth time on this board), turn off your cell phones until we are on the ground again. Thank you.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

access-air

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting Riyadhnurse (Reply 51):
In these scary times

I have two words for you.....STAY HOME!!

I never said I defied any Pilot's order to turn off my camera....So dont lump me in with others....I also wear glasses and if we stop abruptly my glasses too could become a projectile object..does that mean I need to take them off when flying and fly blind as a bat???? I think not.....There are lots of items that passenegrs have in their hands during take off or landing...And if you are flying in First Class I have noticed that they let you keep your drinks even when landing or taking off or other things and no one really cares....I guess its the cabin and how much you pay that determines the restrictions the airlines chooses to put on you.
Obviously if I thought my little camera was such a hazard I would never think of using it inflight....PERIOD.. I do have a modecum of sense in my head. Airlines are just becoming crazy stupid about everything.....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

David L

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting Theweave33 (Reply 49):
cell phones will be accidently left on during flight and if they pose a safety threat that many of you are claiming, then the FAA should remove them from flight completeley

I think you're about 30 posts behind.  Smile

As far as cameras being potential projectiles, well, so are some of the hardback books I've seen being read during landing and take-off. My gut feeling is that cameras are "not allowed" during take-off and landing because they're electronic devices.

Having said that, I've only been told twice to switch my camera off during landing; once on a SATA flight and that crew were pretty abrupt anyway, and once out of dozens of BA flights. If I'm going to keep my camera out for landing I'll keep it in full view when the FAs do their seat-belt check. If they ask me to switch it off then off it shall be switched. Camcorders are another matter as they're fully active much longer than a photographic camera - my camcorder gets stowed as soon as the seat-belt signs come on.

As a side note, almost all of the airlines I've flown with use the seat-belt signs as a guide to when take-off ends and approach begins - usually around 10,000 ft. On Icelandair, the take-off ended (from an electronic device usage point of view) much later and the landing began at the start of the descent.

HAL

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 54):
And if you are flying in First Class I have noticed that they let you keep your drinks even when landing or taking off

No, they don't. In the US all drinks, cups, utensils & such must be stowed before the aircraft moves from the gate, and before landing. If you have seen someone holding a cup when they shouldn't, it is only becasue the passenger hid it from the Flight Attendants when they were cleaning up before departure or landing.

Airlines are just becoming crazy stupid about everything

About what exactly? Guns? Explosives? Knives? What can't you do now that you used to be able to, and how does that affect you?

Those of us who are airline employees work our tails off to ensure a pleasant and safe flight for everyone. If you have a problem with a specific person or rule, let our management know about it. If it is something we can change, we'll work on it. If it is something we have to do becasue the FAA or TSA mandate it, sorry, we're just as stuck as you are. Airlines are just now running on a razor thin profit margin, after years of losses. You are flying at the absolute lowest cost that covers our own cost of getting you to your destination. In reducing our own costs to allow that razor thin profit to emerge, some things have gone away - china plates, full meals, free headsets etc. If you feel you want those things back, call management and ask for them. We'd be happy to raise our fares to cover those costs.  sarcastic 

Seriously, our job is to get you to your destination safely and without incident. Period. The rest is gravy. Unfortunately, since people choose their flights with their wallets, the extras have gone away. Since airlines are businesses, not charities, they've had to respond as businesses, cutting costs to meet the passengers demands. I wish I could go back to the glory days of the 60's and 70's, but can't. It was fun while it lasted, but today's realities won't let us.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

iairallie

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting David L (Reply 55):
As far as cameras being potential projectiles, well, so are some of the hardback books I've seen being read during landing and take-off. My gut feeling is that cameras are "not allowed" during take-off and landing because they're electronic devices.

As a crew member who has been through many different airline training programs (Furloughs Suck!). I have more than a gut feeling about the reasons. The electronic device thing is one of several reasons why they aren't permitted at that phase of flight. But the main reason as sited by the FAA is the potential for electronic devices to become dangerous projectiles, and in the case of audio devices the possiblity of them preventing you from hearing all the vital instructions in an emervency.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

MD80Nut

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:57 am

Quite frankly, I think the pilot's message reminding passengers about not using their cellphones was quite appropriate, given the fact the safety of the airplane is involved. It would have been wrong if he had called people names or cursed, but he did not so I don't see anything wrong with what he said or how he said. I don't see any condescension in what he said.

Jeez, it's getting so you can't tell people the facts or give them proper instructions without somebody getting offended.  banghead 

Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

iairallie

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting David L (Reply 55):
If they ask me to switch it off then off it shall be switched.

They do ask you in the PA where they say that ALL electronic devices must be turned off at this time.

Do you mean to say you wait for a personal invitation to turn off the device before complying with crewmember instructions? PA's are a part of crewmember instructions. Can you imagine if all passengers took this approach. We'd have to start our compliance checks hours out in order to personally ask every passenger to buckle their seatbelt, turn off electronic devices, put seat back up, put bags away, and so on. It is exhausting to have to repeat yourself over and over when the announcements make the rules clear.

dakota123

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:10 am

O.K. how about noise-cancelling headsets? I seem to recall being provided a card with mine saying that it was approved for use during all phases of a flight. I would think so, since (at least with mine) it is based on a unit that airline pilots use.

My experience has been that 10% - 20% of FA's will ask that it be turned off; one actually asked that I remove it completely. When I (politely) asked why, she responded that the reason was that so I could hear emergency instructions if required. I thought that was actually a very logical reason and am surprised that in hundreds of flights that request has come only once.

Dakota123
“And If I claim to be a wise man, well surely it means that I don’t know”

iairallie

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:12 am

....I also wear glasses and if we stop abruptly my glasses too could become a projectile object..does that mean I need to take them off when flying and fly blind as a bat

In a planned emergency evacuation prep one of the steps involves having passengers remove glasses.

And if you are flying in First Class I have noticed that they let you keep your drinks even when landing or taking off or other things and no one really cares.

That only means someone is not doing their job. In the US all passenger service items are required by law to be picked up prior to taxi, take off and landing.

....I guess its the cabin and how much you pay that determines the restrictions the airlines chooses to put on you.

Nope safety is the same across the board. FYI, with few exceptions Airlines have little say in which restrictions are placed on the flying public.

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 47):
My digital camera is a very small unsophistocated digi camera...Not one of these huge monsters with lenses so big you can see 20 years into the future with them....
Its funny that even ten years ago no one cared that you were taking pictures out the window....Whhat the heck is everyone so worried about?

Good question ask the FAA and TSA. They are the ones who set the regulations. Don't harass you flight crew who is just trying to do their job.

FutureFO

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:13 am

Evidentally noone watches Mythbusters. They did an episode on this. It does not really interfere with anything. However at about 1500-4000AGL you no longer have a cell phone signal.
I Don't know where I am anymore

iairallie

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting Dakota123 (Reply 60):
O.K. how about noise-cancelling headsets? I seem to recall being provided a card with mine saying that it was approved for use during all phases of a flight. I would think so, since (at least with mine) it is based on a unit that airline pilots use.

My experience has been that 10% - 20% of FA's will ask that it be turned off; one actually asked that I remove it completely. When I (politely) asked why, she responded that the reason was that so I could hear emergency instructions if required. I thought that was actually a very logical reason and am surprised that in hundreds of flights that request has come only once.

That is one of the things that varies by how airlines interpret the rules. Some airlines require that all headsets are removed. Others just require that the electronic portion be turned off. I noticed in one major airline (Delta, US air or United I forget which and I flew on all of them last month) magazine it stated that noise cancelling headsets may be worn during taxi take off and landing provided the power is shut off.

iairallie

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 62):
Evidentally noone watches Mythbusters. They did an episode on this. It does not really interfere with anything. However at about 1500-4000AGL you no longer have a cell phone signal.

Yeah we watch it for the ENTERTAINMENT value not for the scientific fact. My father is an Aerospace Engineer and thinks Mythbusters is a joke. All they proved in that episode is that the specific cellphone(s) they used for their experiment did not interfere with the specific pieces of avionics/radios they tested it on. Not that all cell phones are compatible with all avionics/radios.

JAT74L

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:46 am

A friend of mine was in descent to LHR (while having a check ride) on his 747-400 and was having interference on the CRT instrument screens.

On landing he found that a cell phone belonging to a passenger in Upper Class right beneath the flight deck started ringing round about the time he encountered the albeit minor problems.

Coincidence... you be the judge.

John
I like trains just as much as planes but trains don't like the Atlantic!

David L

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 59):
Do you mean to say you wait for a personal invitation to turn off the device before complying with crewmember instructions?

I didn't never did until I missed the announcement once. An FA asked if it was a camcorder and when I said it was photographic she said "OK" and carried on. Since then I've been asked several times with the same results, apart from the two examples I gave earlier. I've also asked a couple of FAs and they said that technically yes, all devices need to be switched off but if there are only a couple of cameras in use, they usually aren't that bothered. One mentioned that obviously some are more strict than others and that if asked, I should switch it off. No argument from me. If "everyone" did it, as you suggest, then they wouldn't be so relaxed about it.

Sorry but if the FAs on the airlines I use consistently tell people around me to switch off other devices and clearly look at my camera and walk on, I'm going to carry on. I'd also add that I haven't flown with a US carrier since 1988. From previous discussions I'm aware that the regulations are often more strictly enforced over there and I wouldn't mess around there.

You make it sound as if I'm being sneaky. The only way an FA won't see my camera is if they don't even look in my general direction to check that my seat-belt's fastened.

bphendri

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:00 am

A myth that cell phones can interfere with radio and navigation instruments?

Then how come when I have my cell phone next to any type of speaker equipment, I can tell a call is coming in a good 30 seconds before I recieve it? From distintive RF interference? As well as knowing when the Cell phone is sending it's heartbeat to the network to let it know it's still on and waiting for data.

Cell phones are basically radio transmitters, they recieve and transmit radio waves, and hench can and will interfier with other radio devices. Weather it be harmonics, front end overload, or other spurious signals.

MD80Nut

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:03 am

Evidentally noone watches Mythbusters.

I watch Mythbusters but didn't see the episode on cell phones and aircraft. However, I'd rather listen to the professional pilots I know who have told me that, yes, cell phones do interfere with certain electronics in the aircraft under certain conditions and have gone on to back it up telling me their own experiences, than those two goofballs on Mythbusters. As far as I'm concerned, on this issue the Mythbusters are busted.

twocents 

Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

baldguy

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:06 am

I agree with the pilot. What a lot of people in our me-first-customer-is-always-right culture need to understand is that there ARE things that take precedence over what you the individual want right that second.
Most airplane accidents are not the result of a single failure. SO, a pax turns on his cellphone - that on its own probably is not going to bring down an aircraft. But if that is the first in a chain of failures that ultimately cause an accident, to me that's argument enough to take that one link - the known and avoidable one - out of the chain for everyone's safety.
I stand with those who say that just because a rule inconveniences you, seems silly, or makes you feel less in control, you still have no grounds whatsoever to disregard it, especially if the lives and safety of others are also put in jeopardy.

SHUPirate1

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting B777a340fan (Reply 45):
Perhaps, but what tells you someone who doesn't know you're in-flight isn't going to call you?

Two comments to that:

1) I inadvertently left it on. As in, I totally didn't mean to.

2) Nobody calls me anyway.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

cefarix

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:17 am

Cell phones definitely cause interference... Whenever a cell phone here is about to receive a message or call especially, you can hear very distinct and loud blips in your headphones or on your speakers. The interference is even visible on a computer monitor at times. Since aircraft equipment is very sensitive, it's even more susceptible to interference. The pilot did exactly what he should have done.

cumulus

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 27):
Besides, cell phones can generally send/receive more than a mile, especially when there's clear line-of-sight (i.e. in an airplane).

Laterally. What mobile phone base station will you find at 35,000ft?
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

flybynight

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:21 am

I always wonder how many phones get left on accidentally, either in carry-on or down below.

I would think that generally speaking, a cell phone being on isn't going to be a problem since there has never been an accident (to my knowledge) of a plane crashing due to the phone being on.
But the rules are clear, so follow them! I personally think there could be some interference since it is pretty common to have a buzzing sound come from a radio before a cell call comes in. I don't think a pilot would want any possible interference with the task at hand. So why take any chances?

[Edited 2006-09-08 22:22:25]
Heia Norge!

David L

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Flybynight (Reply 73):
a cell phone being on isn't going to be a problem since there has never been an accident (to my knowledge) of a plane crashing due to the phone being on.

Just because there's no record of an accident being caused by a phone being on doesn't mean they haven't caused problems. See the many examples above.

cumulus

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 26):
which inhibits the function of the...you guessed it...antenna

No, "Airplane Mode" disables the entire transmission unit, you can't disable an antenna, just what you send to it.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 26):
It has everything to do with safety.

And you reckon Ryanair know nothing about safety?

Mobile phones are banned because they log on to, or attempt to log on to, a terrestial network during the flight and by doing so they radiate at their maximum power levels whilst attempting to log on to a network which (say at 35,000ft) is well out of range and in turn can interfere with nav/radio systems due to the level of emissions generated.

With the introduction of these new systems, they "clone" a terrestial network within the close proximity of the handset within the enviroment of the aircraft so the power level set by the handset will be at its lowest (the further the base station, the more power is needed by the handset).

Therefore, mobile phones ARE totally safe on a aircraft and DONT interfere with the avionics if operating at a certain level of transmission.

I would have thought you as a "Flight Instructor" would have known this.

[Edited 2006-09-08 22:42:24]
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

floridaflyboy

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting HikesWithEyes (Reply 3):
Why should he have been less condescending when someone apparently
was breaking the rules, especially when there was a potential safety of
flight issue?

Would you still feel this way if the crew hadn't said anything and your
flight ended up crashing?

I'm with you on that one. This guy who posted this thread obviously doesn't understand the true dangers cell phones on planes present. It just makes me mad that people don't have the respect to just do what they're told.
Good goes around!

andz

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:53 am

I flew Nationwide two weeks ago and they very specifically said "cellphones may not be used during the flight, even in standby, games, offline or flight modes"
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

2H4

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:53 am

Evidentally noone watches Mythbusters. They did an episode on this. It does not really interfere with anything.

When you get a chance, scroll up and read my earlier posts....

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

access-air

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 61):
....I also wear glasses and if we stop abruptly my glasses too could become a projectile object..does that mean I need to take them off when flying and fly blind as a bat

In a planned emergency evacuation prep one of the steps involves having passengers remove glasses.

What part did you not understand about my statement? I didnt say anything about an Emergency situation...I know you need to remove them in that case...Im talking aboout all the other times....

And if you are flying in First Class I have noticed that they let you keep your drinks even when landing or taking off or other things and no one really cares.

That only means someone is not doing their job. In the US all passenger service items are required by law to be picked up prior to taxi, take off and landing.

It may be LAW that they do it but I have seen this with my own eyes.....On more than one carrier too....I was just merely pointing it out......stop knit picking...

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 47):
My digital camera is a very small unsophistocated digi camera...Not one of these huge monsters with lenses so big you can see 20 years into the future with them....
Its funny that even ten years ago no one cared that you were taking pictures out the window....Whhat the heck is everyone so worried about?

Good question ask the FAA and TSA. They are the ones who set the regulations. Don't harass you flight crew who is just trying to do their job.

Where did you get the idea I was harassing anyone???? And Since when is asking permission from the flight crew, Pilots or otherwise whether its okay to take pictures looking out the window???? Normally they dont give a flip. Some do.... Why are you making sport of turning my words around to fit your knit picking????
Ask the FAA or TSA???? Do you honestly think either one is going to give me the time of day?? Your's and everyone else's fraidy cat attitudes are the reason I just wish I didnt like aviaiton...That way I wouldnt want anything to do with it...But I dont, I love airplanes and airlines.

Oh and by the way, I dont own a cellphone...So thats not a problem for me...

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

riyadhnurse

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:07 am

Do we want fellow pax's to truly test those theories,to find what can happen ?Perhaps we should demand the FAA to have each pax's psychologically screened,or have a Drs note that gives permission for that pt. to fly. If you're a celebrity or have lots of bucks,you can well afford a private nurse armed with a few injections of Haldol,just in case the stress gets to you,and the ego overwhelms your good sense.Nurses love to fly,see flyingnurses.com. Big grin One can pretend it's "time travel" and your electronic Gizmo's haven't been invented yet,that would be a fun trip,and be remembered fondly!  hyper 
Tongue-tied and twisted,just an earthbound misfit,I.

CRJ 900

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:19 am

You know, alot of the briefing, restrictions etc that the crews remind the traveling public about are required by law. You MUST follow the directions of crew members while onboard the aircraft, like it or not. Plain and simply anything other than doing what you are told is non compliance and in these post 9-11 days, you'll get little sympathy from a judge. Also, if you're a big problem, you could end up being profiled, then the next time you try to fly you name pops up as a problem passenger. So, shut off your phone, sit down when the FAs tell you to, or be an ass and see how far you get. Not on my plane, I'll kick you off before we leave the gate and yes I have called for the police to meet our aircraft on landing because some pompous Frequent Flier has gone a little too far. Oh ya and at the airline I work for, to all the FFs, if you become a big problem or get out of line one too many times, they have and will remove your FF status ( if you are holding a Elite or Super Elite or anything other than a basic card) and leave you with nadda. So be careful, the passenger is not always right!

MCOflyer

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:32 am

Evidentally noone watches Mythbusters.

I do think some of its true and not true. I choose the latter for cell phones.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 78):
When you get a chance, scroll up and read my earlier posts....

Agreed.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

traineepilot

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:41 am

Hi, I was wondering if someone can explain to me what aspect of a mobile phone actually affects aircraft systems, im currently learning to fly myself, with a goal to being an airline pilot.

This information would be very useful to me as hopefully oneday, as time progresses, I will be the PIC of an airliner with 200+ PAX.

Many thanks.

ZKSUJ

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:14 am

always understood the "no cell phone" policy to be a myth and that it doesn't really interfere with anything

I have heard of numerous cases where aircraft drifted off track due to cell phone radiowave interference. Its no myth I can tell you that

b777a340fan

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 70):
Two comments to that:

1) I inadvertently left it on. As in, I totally didn't mean to.

2) Nobody calls me anyway.

I was not implying that you left your cell phone on intentionally. I was merely stating the fact for anyone making the case of "I'm leaving it on because I won't use it and it won't interfere with the aircraft control".

iairallie

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 79):

It may be LAW that they do it but I have seen this with my own eyes.....On more than one carrier too....I was just merely pointing it out......stop knit picking...

LOL I'm not NITpicking. You made a generalization that you "noticed they LET you ..." I just explained that although you may have noticed this that doesn't mean that there is a separate rule set for the FC.

trevd

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting CRJ 900 (Reply 81):
Oh ya and at the airline I work for, to all the FFs, if you become a big problem or get out of line one too many times, they have and will remove your FF status ( if you are holding a Elite or Super Elite or anything other than a basic card) and leave you with nadda. So be careful, the passenger is not always right!

This kind of 'Hate the Customer' attitude is why some of us use Net Jets ( I know, nice if you can afford it!!). But with the advent of some of the Air Taxi services coming on-line, more and more people will be able to do so as well. So those Type A, control freaks may soon find themselves out of a job.

Markhkg

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 10):
4) As passengers you Do Not have the right to do something contrary to our instructions because you feel the instructions are 'silly' or 'inappropriate'.

mmm....well said...what part of:

"Federal regulations requires you to comply with all placards, lighted signs and crewmember instructions"

don't people understand?!

Sad
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

donzilasse

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:47 am

Cellular phones can cause issues with the interference but they might not do it at all times. About 10 years ago on approach to Mexico City a 737 from I believe it was Continental had to interupt the landing because of cellphone interference. As long as this can be a potential issue I cannot understand why anybody could have a reason to not comply with the rules. The captain of an aircraft has the ultimate responsibility for the safety of passangers and crew and therefore I believe this SAA captain acted exactly the way he should have. We are all living in a cellular world but I would hate to see the day when cellphone usage could be allowed. Just think about when all these passangers phones will go on and off and you will have to sit and listen to all the nonsens they have to talk about.

CRJ 900

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:02 am

Why is my attitude or the airlines' "hate the customer"? It's far from that. I'm telling you if you act like an ass, and do it frequently, then the airline can take action against you. You think mis-behaving should be tolerated or rewarded just because you fly a a certain amount? Absolutely not.

[Edited 2006-09-09 02:05:15]

AR385

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting Flybynight (Reply 73):
there has never been an accident (to my knowledge) of a plane crashing due to the phone being on.

Not to start an argument with you, but wasn't there in the mid '90's a Crossair Saab340 that crashed on TO at ZRH and the probable cause was determined to be interference with a cell phone from inside the plane? IIRC the poor Saab actually flipped over just after TO, crashing back to the ground. Poor people.

No, I did not do a search, nor did I visit other sites for info. on air crashes. I wrote the above from memory. I may be wong.

deputydawghere

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 am

HAL[/quote]

Excellent response bud. I can't believe there are people stupid enough to jeopardize the safety of everyone on board for their convenience. On second thought, there are plenty of people who think of themselves only, no matter what the consequences of their actions may be.

[Edited 2006-09-09 02:27:03]

[Edited 2006-09-09 02:28:23]
N/A

Caspian27

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 10):
1) As passengers you do have the right to expect the utmost professionalism from your flight crew.

2) As passengers you do have the right to expect the crew to have the safety of yourself and the rest of the people onboard as their number one priority.

3) As passengers you do have the right to expect the crew to treat you fairly and with dignity as long as you follow the rules.

4) As passengers you Do Not have the right to do something contrary to our instructions because you feel the instructions are 'silly' or 'inappropriate'.

5) As passengers you Do Not have the right to avoid our instructions because you don't like the feeling of not being in control.

Well said!
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

isuA380B777

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:39 am

Cellphoes ofcourse do interface any electrical system. Try doing an ECG while some one making a cell phone call in the room. You will get some funny results

Lemurs

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:52 am

Here's a question...does the FCC require that cellphones that are put into Flight Mode emit no more radiant energy than a regular Class B home electronics device? I would hope so, or why else would they allow it to be labeled as a flight mode?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

DeC

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 7):

This is exactly the reason why i'll never understand all those idiots who turn on their mobile phones during flight. Unless you're the one in a million who uses a Satellite phone instead of GSM, you'll never get it to work with a signal in flight!
DEC

usnseallt82

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:35 am

I always understood the "no cell phone" policy to be a myth and that it doesn't really interfere with anything.

Anyone who is even remotely associated with aviation knows that cell phones CAN produce interference in the flight instruments. Will this bring down an aircraft? Probably not. Will it pose a safety risk if instruments aren't working properly? You bet your ass.

No cell phones during flight. No questions asked.  redflag 

The most shocking part though, was the way the pilot informed us of the problem. I had never had any negative experiences with South African Airways, but the pilot could have definately been less condescending.

He shouldn't have had to repeat the instruction. I'm surprised he wasn't more stern about it. Someone violated a pretty well-understood rule. Its that simple.

Once again, no cell phones during flight. No questions asked.  redflag 
Crye me a river

andz

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:48 pm

Quoting Isua380b777 (Reply 94):
Try doing an ECG while some one making a cell phone call in the room. You will get some funny results

Can I sell you a decent ECG recorder?  Smile

Seriously though it's time to lock this thread, it has drifted off topic and is getting personal (as usual).
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Aaron747

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Until this thread I was under the impression that the ability to write decently and think critically should result from an education comprised of an MBA and BS. I now stand corrected.

Simply stunning.

Anyway, back to the thread topic, I've always maintained a no-nonsense policy with my fellow passengers. Over the course of my many transpacific journeys I've been witness to numbskulls leaving overhead compartments with bulky contents open and traversing the cabin in spite of moderate turbulence. In all cases I've made a point of calling out the errant individual. People usually don't like it but I don't care. It's absolutely ridiculous to disregard the safety of others for the sake of a moment's spate of wanton stupidity. Don't ever stand for it.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos