Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

johnboy
Topic Author

AA Flight Threatened To Divert Over Gay PDA

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:33 am

Oh come on now......what were they thinking? (and i'm not referring to the gay couple either...)

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid36619.asp

UAL747

RE: AA Flight Threatened To Divert Over Gay PDA

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:40 am

Homophobia at its best. While many straight couples can hold hands, give kisses, and hell, practically make out on planes, gay couples are given the "Hands OFF" policy.

Stupid stupid. I hope a discrimination complaint against AA happens, not that it would accomplish anything.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:43 am

Here's a link to the original New Yorker item the Advocate refers to:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/060925ta_talk_collins

A poster on another board suggested that the question to the purser about if that would happen to a straight couple made the purser think "discrimination claim" which caused everyone to close ranks.

That made me think that the couple in question may very well have done better asking for the big hair flight attendant to come over to explain what they had been doing wrong in front of the purser. The purser seemed to be on the couple's side initially. Live and learn on how to possibly handle situations such as this in the future.

It doesn't excuse the threat from the captain to land the plane, however, which in what we know of the situation, was very over-the-top.
International Homo of Mystery

akizidy214

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
Stupid stupid. I hope a discrimination complaint against AA happens, not that it would accomplish anything.

I don't know about you but if I was sitting next to them I would've felt very uncomfortable. I find i hard to believe that they were just pecking each other on the checks. For that matter I would also feel the same way if it happened to be a straight couple. I applaud the F/A for asking them to stop. But as far a diverting the plane thats BS, they were not a security threat.
DCA

PlanesNTrains

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:26 am

Just an FYI. This same topic was discussed yesterday at great length, only to be deleted due to the direction it took.

Have fun.  Smile

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

eric

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:27 am

I must agree with Akizidy214, if they were over the top I can understand that they were asked to stop and that applies regardless of sexuality.

I honestly don't think they would have been asked to stop if they were merely giving each other "a peck on the cheek (anyone who uses that phrase got something to hide Wink).

With that in mind:
I think it is worth picking up on the fact that one guy was a journalist so it could possible be very for him to get an issue into a newspaper.

Diverting the flight is absurd.

[Edited 2006-09-20 23:52:53]
n

jaysit

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:46 am

I wouldn't fly American overseas.

Or United. Or USAirways. Or Northwest. Or Delta.

They're all crap airlines. And they get crappier by the day.

Why fly them when you can take Virgin or BA or Air France?

Enjoy your free cocktails, curl up with your partner, gay or straight, and enjoy your flight.

kiss 
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:48 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 4):
Just an FYI. This same topic was discussed yesterday at great length, only to be deleted due to the direction it took.

It was deleted due to a copyright violation, as the opening post had the entire article posted. There's a post about it by VC-10 in Site Related.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):
It was deleted due to a copyright violation, as the opening post had the entire article posted. There's a post about it by VC-10 in Site Related.

Ah, got it. I was sending a reply to you (we'll just let sleeping dogs lie) and the thread had been deleted. I assumed the mods decided another thread had gone too far.

It'll be interesting to follow this thread from a read-only perspective. Maybe it'll go better than the last one.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

4everRC

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Akizidy214 (Reply 3):
I find i hard to believe that they were just pecking each other on the checks.

Why is that so hard to believe? Gay & Lesbian couples are consistantly held to a different standard in situations like this. I am not surprised in the least that no one would have batted an eye if a straight couple was engaged in the same activity.
Nobody served our republic like Republic!

khobar

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:19 am

According to one of the aggrieved, it was like a honeymoon. According to one of the gay witnesses, they were acting like "two lovebirds". According to others in the thread and an American Airlines PR rep (IIRC), honeymooners acting like lovebirds do more than hold hands and peck each other on the cheek.

Ultimately, the story was told from only one side which, because this was a "gay" issue, ironically, was enough for some to declare AA guilty of homophobia. Rather telling, especially when no one seems to have bothered to do at least a little research and figure out who was telling this story, and likely why.

akizidy214

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting 4everRC (Reply 9):
Why is that so hard to believe? Gay & Lesbian couples are consistantly held to a different standard in situations like this. I am not surprised in the least that no one would have batted an eye if a straight couple was engaged in the same activity.

If they were just pecking! No one would have complained.
DCA

CXA330300

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:37 am

Well, if it was a quick peck on the cheek I'd understand the cause for concern....but no PDA within reason, I think, should be cause for a concern over safety.
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

4everRC

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting Akizidy214 (Reply 11):

Speaking as a person who has gotten dirty looks from other passengers witnessing me HOLDING HANDS with my boyfriend, I respectfully, but COMPLETELY disagree with you.

TransWorldSTL

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting Akizidy214 (Reply 11):

Bull!

Flying home ATL - STL on DL a couple months ago, my boyfriend and I were in 2 A & B (first row of F), and during boarding of coach, we simply took a picture of ourselves sitting and smiling, while holding hands, and recieved 2 people complaining "Thats disgusting." and "oh god, we've got faggots on our flight"..

Avatordon

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:57 am

American sure doesn't seem to mind the amount of revenue the GLBT community contributes to their bottom line, though. Perhaps if we're such a "security threat" - we should spend our money elsewhere...

I always find these numbers a bit eye-opening
http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-04-17/379.asp

As well as AA's own gay vacations web site
http://www.aavacations.com/Rainbow/jp_rainbow.asp?ADID=PX1

Bridogger6

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:04 am

I have done this on a CO flight with my bf.. a couple dirty looks from one of the FEW straight male flight attendants out there :-P but other than that, nothing horrible from any flight crew member, or passenger, no one seemed to care, and we were in a row all to ourselves anyway... not even making out just kinda holding hands and sleeping... and like one maybe two kisses.. no big deal, lol.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting Avatordon (Reply 15):
Perhaps if we're such a "security threat" - we should spend our money elsewhere...

Money always talks.

It's always too bad when both sides are presented thoroughly and we havel to rely on heresay and one-sided stories.

But, yes, gay couples will always have to defend ourselves to do even the most routine of things heterosexual couples do and take for granted.
You can't cure stupid

TeamAmerica

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 am

redflag  Too many posters rushing to condemn the airline and defend the couple...because they are gay. Take the entire story omitting the sexual orientation of the couple involved, then ask yourself if you would have the same reaction. Somebody isn't telling the complete story, but from the sparse description of events we don't know enough to pass judgement, and thus ought not to.
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

deltaflyertoo

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:39 am

Yeah its tough to say who's right or wrong. But me suspects that all this couple did was snuggle and the original flight attendant freaked out, LIED and said a lot more was going on. Absolutely atrocious.

4everRC

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting TeamAmerica (Reply 18):
but from the sparse description of events we don't know enough to pass judgement, and thus ought not to.

Except for the fact that the entire incident would not have happened if it were a straight couple. We've all seen them on a plane, crossing a line and no one says a word to them, let alone threaten to divert the plane.

perspicax

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:44 am

As a gay person with a partner, I can personally attest that people occasionally overreact. Unfortunately, the people who overreact to these things seldom listen to reason or react well to being called on it.

As with any disagreement between two parties, though, I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

vermeer

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 am

Never heard of such a complaint when a straight couple is involved.
Who knows what they were doing but the sslack is defintely shorter for gay travelers, it seems.

AA - as posted - enjoys a lot of GLTB revenue. I don't believe them. No matter how many "gay" events they sponsor.

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting TeamAmerica (Reply 18):
Take the entire story omitting the sexual orientation of the couple involved, then ask yourself if you would have the same reaction.

When was the last time AA threatened to divert a plane because a straight couple was snuggling, kissing or "carrying on"? Never, that I know of. If you know of one, please post it.

When was the last time an AA pilot ordered all the blankets and pillows to be destroyed after a group who'd been at the Gay and Lesbian March on Washington were on the plane? 1993.

Now true, AA has come a long way since 1993, but is the story plausible? To me it is. A company the size of AA will always have incidents such as this. How the company responds to it is what's telling.

jetstream1975

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 am

As Cabin Crew myself and also a Purser, If any passengers behaviour of any description is enough to warrant other passengers complaining, then as crew we have to address it.

I have on many occasions asked overly amorous straight couples to tone it down. However that said it really depends on how the crew handle it there are ways and means.

Having travelled with AA many times it would not surprise me if the problem was actually the way the passengers were spoken to.

Diversion should only be considered if a passengers behaviour comprimises the safety of other passengers, crew or the a/c. Or if a passenger refuses to comply with safety related requests by crew.

[Edited 2006-09-21 02:05:29]

[Edited 2006-09-21 02:23:03]

Carfield

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 am

Homophobia is definitely a major key problem in this incident and unfortunatly homophobia and all kind of phobias cannot easily be erased. Indeed most LGBTQ couples continue to held on to a different standard. Neverhteless, my problem with this incident is not only concerning the homophobia, but about how airlines crew continue to use "diversions" and other forms of similar threats to prohibit passengers from complaining. Nowaday, F/As just say we will divert if you continue to do something we don't like, like taking photography on board. Also why PDAs are threats to the safety of the passengers? It may be unpleasant for some but do the threats of two gay men making out enough to divert the plane? The airline can take actions, such as prohibiting the passengers from flying AA or give these men warnings , but diverting the plane is just evidence of excessive use of force and power. Since 911, F/As continue to use pilots as a method of threat. I wonder what will happen if the couple indeed forces the plane to divert... will it cost a bigger uproar or more embarrassement for the F/As and pilots involved? AA will get publicity, but certianly not the kinds they want. These kinds of power trips just make people lose more respects for F/As, and that is why travellers only fly US based airlines for its general mileage programs and cheap fares, and why less people pay a premium price to fly US airlines?

Unfortunately this kind of story is so subjective... and both sides may be at fault, but for PR wise, AA loses many points and one more reason to fly other oneworld partners and non-US airlines.

Concerning PDA, you can never set up a guideline, but both straight, gay, bi, transgender and whatever couples should be held to the same standard. F/As and pilots should put aside their own biases (or at least try).

Carfield

Avatordon

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 am

Not comdemning the airline. I do, however question the judgement of the crew by singling this couple out in the first place, creating the scene and uncomfortable environment, and then trying to wash their hands of responsibility. Their request to "face their accusers" was more than reasonable, and they were denied this as well as being met upon arrival at JFK by an AA supervisor.

If they were a straight couple, would the same thing have happened? When was the last time you heard about a pilot threatening to divert a plane because a couple was kissing or resting their head on one another's shoulder, was upset because they were told to stop, and were upset about it?

From the crew's reaction, you would have thought they would have had to turn a fire hose on them. Gimme a break.

Motorhussy

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:09 am

Fly a decent airline that demonstrates some commitment to equal opportunities for all (staff and customers) regardless of race, creed, religion (or lack of), gender etc. Reward these airlines with your business.

Penalise airlines like American by flying airlines with egalitarian policies and a better standard of service. Qantas and Air New Zealand on this side of the world sponsor key gay tourism events and are fantastic airlines - they're proud to serve the gay community and benefit from the extra business.

I remember being told of an incident aboard SA when apartheid had recently been defeated. A white South African woman in coach was complaining about being sat next to a caffer (a pejorative term akin to nigger) woman. She kicked up such a fuss that eventually the captain was called down to intervene. On his arrival he apologised to the passenger for their mistake in seating her next to such an animal and asked the black African passenger if they could move her to first class as a token of their regret. SA should be applauded and rewarded for their part in breaking down entrenched and insidious hate and prejudice.

American Airlines are not just complicit in maintaining prejudice, but, by this act, are actively encouraging it. Email them your complaints or disapproval. Get on their website and tell them their behaviour is not acceptable:

http://www.aa.com/

Go to: Contact AA on the top right, then click on Customer Relations on the left or email American Airlines at [email protected] as I have.

N.B. If passenger behaviour is lewd, it should be stopped. These passengers' behaviour wasn't.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

krisyyz

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:15 am

I think it's pretty sad that two gay men showing affection towards each other is still so strongly frowned upon. Not having been there, it is hard to judge whether their actions were inappropriate or not, but I would guess they were benign. This situation demonstrates that in the "land of freedom" people that are closed mined still have more rights than 2 people of the same sex expressing their feeling for each other. If people don't want to see gay people kissing, don't look!
KrisYYZ

B6MoneyGuyJFK

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:37 am

A couple of years ago I was flying to London on American with my partner and our 3 year old son. We had an almost opposite reaction to homophobia. Smiles from all the f/a's and After a short time, one of the (male) F/a's stopped by and asked a couple of questions about how our son came to be .(he's adopted) A short time later, his BF, who was also working the flight came by and we traded email adresses so I could send them both some information. Later in the flight we were presented with champagne from first class. Of course we weren't pecking on the cheeks, because we were too busy with the baby. I'm not defending the airline, but there has to be a bit more to the story. I've flown numerous times and have never experianced homophobia by airline crew. If anything, we have encounted plenty of "family". Of course there were these passenegers on a Charlotte-New Bern flight..but thats another story...
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks!

kevi747

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:41 am

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this story at all. Something else happened that they didn't mention, or it's made up altogether. I'm a gay AA F/A based at JFK and I was suspicious of this story when I first read it yesterday. Everyone I work with, including straight men and women, are TOTALLY cool with gay men. If they weren't they'd be pretty miserable in their job. However, there are over 2000 F/A's based at JFK so it's possible that I had never met the person who supposedly did this.

But today, after reading the article in the "New Yorker" I know it's false. There are 0 F/A's working at AA that refer to themselves as "stewardesses". I think something much different occurred and this is the version that makes them look like martyrs.

No matter what the rest of you think American Airlines is a great company for gay people to work for. They are very supportive and do not allow any type of discrimination against homosexuals.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

ThereandBack

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:42 am

Regardless whether someone is homosexual lesbian bisexual or straight they should not be doing anything along the lines of displaying affection on a plane. I think it's inappropriate.

DILF

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:01 am

Lets keep a balanced perspective here. First off, I am gay - - and I've seen plenty of gay people (the "in your face" types that love to push the word "queer" whenever they have a chance to) get a bit out of control in public, as if the entire world was their Christopher Street.

If these two guys were just holding hands or had given each other a couple of small kisses here and there or a head on a shoulder, then no one has any thing to say about it and should have been told so. BUT - - - if they were all over each other, tonguing each other, groping each other or being nasty in some way, then I'd be offended too, just as much if it were a straight couple doing it. I've been known to be the one sneering at people like that to "get a room" in such circumstances. LOL

From another angle, I've heard that (and AA employees, please correct me if I am wrong here) that AA is one of the best carriers to work for if you're gay. They sponsor and support Gay Pride events and, more importantly, they were one of the first to offer domestic partner benefits.

So lets not be so quick to side with these guys .. it's entirely possible that they were being pigs, folks!

BUT assuming this story is true and these two guys really weren't being a dirty - and that this F/A, purser and captain really did handle it this way, then those crewmembers individually are redneck idiots (where were they based?  scratchchin  ) and we should not be so quick to bash an entire airline on the actions of an extremely stupid flight crew.
NO MORE Trip Reports about SQ First Class! Or TG, CX or MH! E-N-O-U-G-H !!

4everRC

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting DILF (Reply 32):
So lets not be so quick to side with these guys .. it's entirely possible that they were being pigs, folks!

I'm not disputing that at all, but it's the concept of equal treatment under the law. Gays and Lesbians are judged by a different standard, and if it were a straight couple, this wouldn't be news.

Just a thought to ponder, has AA issued a statement regarding "their side of the story?"

danild

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting Kevi747 (Reply 30):
I'm sorry, but I don't believe this story at all. Something else happened that they didn't mention, or it's made up altogether. I'm a gay AA F/A based at JFK and I was suspicious of this story when I first read it yesterday. Everyone I work with, including straight men and women, are TOTALLY cool with gay men. If they weren't they'd be pretty miserable in their job. However, there are over 2000 F/A's based at JFK so it's possible that I had never met the person who supposedly did this.

But today, after reading the article in the "New Yorker" I know it's false. There are 0 F/A's working at AA that refer to themselves as "stewardesses". I think something much different occurred and this is the version that makes them look like martyrs.

No matter what the rest of you think American Airlines is a great company for gay people to work for. They are very supportive and do not allow any type of discrimination against homosexuals.

I AGREE WITH YOU!!! I'm gay too and travel with my BF very frequently... Ironiacally enough I love aviation work in the industry but I'm nervous when taking off and landing so We always hold hands... during flights... And very frequently get complaiments from the crew on how cute of a couple. One time we even got a lunch bag full of brownies from a Delta FA. I do however notice Passangers feeling uncomfortable specially older people by us holding hands.

I am not sure that it was only a peck on the cheek but even if it was more huging passionately kissing etc. The real question is would the crew have made the same big deal out of it had it been a straight couple?

And what constitues unproper behavior?? isn't it very subjective and difficult to interpret?
Danild

sk909

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:30 am

Not to be an @ss, but why don't you American gay folks fly european carriers. That should help a bit. At least on SK, especially on the flights to Greenland, people went to the toilets. And they weren't taking leak, nor were they taking a dump...

It is also my impression that American people are more uptight with regards to gay people? Or am I totally wrong?
Life's for Living!

BostonGuy

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:42 am

A clue to what really happened is the comment from American's spokeperson:

Our understanding is that the level of affection was more than a quick peck on the cheek.”

When corporate spokepeople say "Our understanding..." they're signaling that the side of the story they have to put out there is on shakey ground. It's a terminology deliberately designed to enable them to backtrack when evidence against them comes out. It's a phrase used when you expect that the truth will be revealed, and that truth will not look good for the company.

All it takes is one weird employee to make something like this incident possible. It also only takes one sharp in-charge employee to put the weird employee in his or her place... something the captain of the flight apparently didn't do.

BreninTW

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting Danild (Reply 34):
but I'm nervous when taking off and landing so We always hold hands... during flights...

Makes me think of a trip I took to the Philippines with a good friend -- he's not the world's most confident flier (translation: he's terrified of flying). I decided for various reasons to fly back to MNL from the island we were on a day early, and he decided to fly back with me. We got to the airport, only to find out that the only seats available were on a 19-seat Let 410 puddle-jumper (he asked this AFTER we'd checked in, so there was no backing out).

I ended up holding his hand for the whole hour-long flight ... not sure what the other passengers thought, but frankly I don't really care  Smile

Bren

CO767FA

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:10 am

Everyone I work with, including straight men and women, are TOTALLY cool with gay men.

Not to rain on your parade, but all airline employees are embracing your gayness. Some will be nice to your face and turn right around and stab you in the back. While many in the industry are accepting; many are just tolerating you as a business colleague, but wouldn't break bread with you in your house.

There are 0 F/A's working at AA that refer to themselves as "stewardesses".

While I'm not a fan of the "stewardesses" term, many people still call us that and other names.

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 31):
Regardless whether someone is homosexual lesbian bisexual or straight they should not be doing anything along the lines of displaying affection on a plane. I think it's inappropriate.

I think nose and ear hairs on men are inappropriate, but they still seem to show up on the airplane (one guy had them combed into his hair)....but I've never thought about threatening them with a diversion if they don't go into a toilet and clip them. That's how ridiculous this scenario is regardless of sexuality.

Quoting DILF (Reply 32):
if they were all over each other, tonguing each other, groping each other or being nasty in some way, then I'd be offended too, just as much if it were a straight couple doing it.

I agree with you on this statement, but the next one is where you and I disagree.

Quoting DILF (Reply 32):
it's entirely possible that they were being pigs, folks!

And it is entirely possible that they were not, but some folks consider any public affection by gays to be offensive (actually their existence sets people into hysterics).

Quoting SK909 (Reply 35):
It is also my impression that American people are more uptight with regards to gay people? Or am I totally wrong?

That is so true....we will attempt to impeach a guy for a BJ; but if he lies about the need for war...well, that's admirable.

Jonno

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:17 am

My boyfriend and I go to straight bars all the time and he like to kiss a bit and hold hands and cuddle. We don't make a big deal of it and neither does anybody else. Just me tuppence.

sk909

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting CO767FA (Reply 38):
we will attempt to impeach a guy for a BJ; but if he lies about the need for war...well, that's admirable

LOL... That says it all... Big grin

Quoting DILF (Reply 32):
if they were all over each other, tonguing each other, groping each other or being nasty in some way, then I'd be offended too, just as much if it were a straight couple doing it.

I agree with you on this statement, but the next one is where you and I disagree.

If she was all over me, I would disagree to... Big grin But then again thats just the way I am...
Life's for Living!

PanAm747

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:19 am

btw, it was my original post...and I was distracted and forgot to NOT completely quote. It slipped my mind until I got a notice that the whole thread was deleted.

I did not get to see most of the postings - maybe it was for the best.

Even as a gay man, I find the story suspicious...I have flown with my boyfriend across country and have never had any problems holding hands while seated. Yes, we have giggled about joining the mile-high club...but nothing more than that.

Even if it is true, it is one incident among how many thousands upon thousands of flights. God willing it is an isolated case.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Jonno

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:26 am

PanAm747, how anyone can join the Mile-High Club in those teeny loos on aircraft, I'll never know. It's hard enough to aim, if you know what I mean!  wink 

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:37 am

Let's see if I'm following this thread correctly:

• First and foremost, many on here are bashing and ripping on American Airlines for being anti-gay based on the actions of about three exployees.
    Based on some of your posts, I could conclude that Comair and Southwest have poorly trained pilots because of one fatal incident in the past year involving each airline.
  • Second, I think all too many are rushing to immediately defend the gay couple because of a sense of guilt about the way gays have been treated in the past, and even in the present; similar to the "white guilt" white people are supposed to supposedly feel for something they had no control over.
  • Third, I find PDA's from both heterosexual and homosexual couples disturbing, annoying, and rude. From the loose facts we have here so far, it doesn't sound like the couple was doing anything extreme, but I felt I needed to state the first part before someone jumps on me for asking "Well how do you feel about heterosexuals doing such things!?!?!?!"

That is so true....we will attempt to impeach a guy for a BJ; but if he lies about the need for war...well, that's admirable

First off, what the hell did the last part of this statement have to do with the topic at hand? Second, it wasn't for having a BJ, it was for LYING UNDER OATH about the BJ, among other things.  Yeah sure
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

ThereandBack

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am

I think nose and ear hairs on men are inappropriate, but they still seem to show up on the airplane (one guy had them combed into his hair)....but I've never thought about threatening them with a diversion if they don't go into a toilet and clip them. That's how ridiculous this scenario is regardless of sexuality.

This scenario is ridiculous and discriminatory but I still think they shouldn't have been like that on a plane. Matters of personal hygiene and PDA's are all things that shouldn't belong in a plane IMO.

TeamAmerica

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting 4everRC (Reply 20):
Except for the fact that the entire incident would not have happened if it were a straight couple.

Exactly the invalid assumption I'm pointing out. This statement reflects your personal bias; there is no evidence to support it.

Quoting Vermeer (Reply 22):
Never heard of such a complaint when a straight couple is involved.

I've heard DOZENS of stories. Do you know any flight attendants, especially ones who work night flights? You would be astounded what goes on! Those wacky straight people have no sense...

Quoting Carfield (Reply 25):
Homophobia is definitely a major key problem in this incident

Same assumption again. Read the story. This is the Advocate speaking, and at no point in the story does it say "because they were gay." You assume it, but it doesn't say that at all. The Advocate did use the remarkably un-PC word "stewardess", which is kinda hard to believe!  Wow!

Quoting Avatordon (Reply 26):
If they were a straight couple, would the same thing have happened?

Quite possibly! Depends a lot on what they were doing, and that depends on who you believe, doesn't it? If only we had video!

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 27):
Penalise airlines like American by flying airlines with egalitarian policies and a better standard of service. Qantas and Air New Zealand on this side of the world sponsor key gay tourism events and are fantastic airlines

So does AA!!! Check out their website: http://www.aavacations.com/Rainbow/jp_rainbow.asp?ADID=PX1
Now explain again your reasons to "penalize airlines like American"...that's just ignorant.   

Quoting KrisYYZ (Reply 28):
I think it's pretty sad that two gay men showing affection towards each other is still so strongly frowned upon.

Same assumption again, nobody said "because they're gay."

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this story at all. Something else happened that they didn't mention, or it's made up altogether. I'm a gay AA F/A based at JFK and I was suspicious of this story when I first read it yesterday.

Bless you! I have doubts about this story as well. My gut reaction was that somebody got their feelings hurt and decided to "go nuclear" on AA. We may never know what really happened.

[Edited 2006-09-21 05:08:58]
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

akizidy214

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:49 am

I wonder how this incident would've unfolded on another airline. Say Air Jamaica!
DCA

Delta777Jet

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:51 am

Please....everybody write a complaint to AA (I just did it).
Even though I straight it is unaccepable to treat pax like that!

I won`t fly AA ever again!
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

akizidy214

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting Delta777Jet (Reply 47):

Now thats just stupid! You weren't there so how do you even what happen! This guy could be some Journalist just trying to get some attention.
DCA

DILF

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:17 pm

Quoting Delta777Jet (Reply 47):

Wow - - such drama from a straight guy !!!!
NO MORE Trip Reports about SQ First Class! Or TG, CX or MH! E-N-O-U-G-H !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos