Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cgagn
Topic Author

Top Aviation Stories Of 07

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:25 am

I was reading about delays to the A380 program, AC taking their first 777s, and various merger talks and such. It got me thinking what we can expect for 2007. This thread usually pops up in mid December, but I figured I'd jump the gun by a few months. So what are the big stories gonna be for 2007? Here in Canada, AC taking its first 777 will be big. Westjet going transatlantic and/or joining One World I think will happend. Thoughts??

C-GAGN

futurecaptain

RE: Top Aviation Stories Of 07

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Cgagn (Thread starter):
It got me thinking what we can expect for 2007

A380 delayed again.

NW delays retiring DC-9's

Spotters have been kicked out of every major airport in the US

TSA still standing around

Southwest's profits fall as hedges expire

US Airways completes merger

BA orders 787

bnamaxx

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:12 pm

In 2007:

Airbus cancels 380 program. Completed airframes, sans the wings, donated to colleges, converted to dormitories.

Southwest Becomes first airline to board 100 million passengers in one year. Their newest logo jet features Herb Kelleher on the tail smoking a cigarette.

Jet Blue begins service to Duluth, Cedar Rapids, Tupelo, Youngstown, Presque Isle, and Cape Girardeau. Blooies worldwide celebrate "The Experience" spreading.

Ryanair opens its 50th base, in Lucerne.

Bermuda II talks drag on. No apparent agreement in sight.

In a twist, the Wright Amendment is revised to allow Jet Blue only to begin serive from DAL to all of the aforementioned expansion cities.

American Airlines announces no need to revise it's current livery before 2040. AA announces it now controls 98.7% of the market at DFW airport, utilizing all but 5 gates in terminal E. "We have our eye on those too", says Gerald Arpey.

Rumors sweep the industry that Delta and Northwest will merge, creating rampant talk on A.net about which cities will retain hubs and how many NW DC9's Delta will keep. Plans for 5 new linear concourses at ATL are unveiled, allowing DL to operate 3,000 daily departures off the current five runways, in a rolling hub environment.

United folds all mainline domestic operations into TED. United Express is renamed ED.

Virgin America begins operations with one daily roundtrip between SFO and JFK. Sir Richard Branson is quoted as saying "it's a start, we hope to have more routes by 2015".

Emirates Airlines, stung by the A380 cancellation, orders 200 Boeing 748 aircraft. They set their sights on being the world's largest airline in RPK's by 2010. The new Jebel Ali airport construction will continue. The airbridges destined for the second level of the A380 will be romoved and put in the new midfield concourse for Emirates new LCC, Viva Dubai! which will begin service with 50 777-300ER's.

In a stunning move, British Airways announcing a return to the "World Tails" scheme. Riots break out in London, Manchester and other cities. Football hooligans close down Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood Airport.

...ridiculous? Of course, but no more so than some of the threads on here. Happy 2007 everyone!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile

AirCop

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:26 pm

Shouldn't we finish 2006 first?

louA340

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting Bnamaxx (Reply 2):
In a stunning move, British Airways announcing a return to the "World Tails" scheme. Riots break out in London, Manchester and other cities. Football hooligans close down Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood Airport.

hahaha...good one.  rotfl 

alaska737

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:44 pm

Southwest swithces to an all Airbus fleet

Alaska announces EWR-LHR

Northwest announces it will replace its DC-9's when WN flies overseas

Southwest announces nonstop service to HKG

Airtrain decieds to invade someone elses territory and moves to ORD

Undecided on a new base HP/US chooses Nuuk Greenland

Jetblue already looking so much like United decides to merge

Frontier decides to repaint all of its planes with images of the 1997 Denver Broncos.

Air France decides to clean its planes!!!!!!!!

American and Delta both decide to retire their MD-80's and replace them with Northwests DC-9's

Northwest repaces its DC-9's with old MD-80's

sick of being second to the big boys, Horizon, Skywest, ASA, American Eagle, Air wisconsin, Mesa, Pinnacle, and all other express carririers join together and take over the industry.

Aloha, Hawaiin and Alaska merge to form Outcast states Air

Still, no one to care about Sun Country, ATA and USA 3000

Leaving CO as the only airline that remains normal.

YLWbased

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:02 pm

wt about this

- Air France announced to layoff 1000 plane cleaning workers for cost cutting
- One World announced to switch all their livery into "silver bullet" for a better corporate image.
- Cathay Pacific begin service LHR-JFK with 15x daily flight
- Oasis Hong Kong brought another 4x777 and 2x744 and started domestic US route.
- US Airways ordered 739ER to fly LAX-HNL-HKG
- Westjet joined oneworld, order 20x 748i
- Iran Air started non-stop service between Iran, Cuba and N.Korea, Bush decided to go to war with them.
- CIA recieved a warning from "a inside sources", Cubanian could blow themselves up inflight without a bomb. Humans are banded from flying

cgagn
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:13 pm

I could be one of these people that whine when a thread goes south from what they originally intended. However, I'm actually very much enjoying reading some of the sarcastic replies. The Dubai LCC idea starting out with 50 773ERs is my favorite so far. Keep em coming...

C-GAGN

WMUPilot

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting Bnamaxx (Reply 2):
United folds all mainline domestic operations into TED. United Express is renamed ED.

The really sad thing is, that comment isn't that too far fetched. Big grin  Wink

centrair

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:53 pm

• NH launches their two LCCs. The international LCC will start operations
    from NGO and HND to All Star Hubs and Skyteam Hubs (including MSP) worldwide. NH orders 50 more 787s for this LCC.
  • AM finnally starts service to Japan...not to NRT...not to NGO...but CTS
  • EK annouces service to Every city in the US with a popualation over 1 million (including the Twin Cities)
  • NW breaks unions and makes Compass the domestic arm while NW is for heavy mainline and international routes.
  • NW annnouces 787-8 routes and excersizes some options for the 787-10 for DTW/SFO/LAX/MSP-NRT routes
  • UA orders 787-8
  • AA orders 787-8
  • JL orders 777-200LR or non-stop service to South America
  • DL receives first 777-200LR and starts non-stop ATL-HKG.
  • CX starts non-stop to ORD
  • UA and CO merge to become Continental: EWR, IAD, ORD, HOU, SFO, LAX (sorry Ohio)
  • AF paints planes black to hide dirt but...
  • AZ merges with AF/KLM to form KLAZAF Airlines With hubs in FCO, CDG, and AMS. One plane design is chosen...sponged brown.
  • B6 starts service to MKE, MSP and Rochester MN
  • Aeroflot about to make a decision about A350 or 787 will be annouced in October 2007
  • Boeing launches 787-10
  • BA orders 748i, 787-8 and 787-10
  • CX orders 748i and 787-10
  • LH orders 748i, 787-8 and A350-900XWB
  • All OneWorld member airlines moved to T2 at NRT, Skyteam is T1 Northwing, Star is T1 Southwing, non-alliance T1 Southwing (true)
  • DL doesn't order 787-3 (Several diehard DL A.netters can't understand why)
  • LAX gets $2billion more in funding to build a brand new International Terminal

bnamaxx

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:41 pm

It's glad to see some people have a sense of humor!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos