Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JFK742
Topic Author

What Will Happen To Fleet If AA/NWA Merge?

Mon Jul 03, 2000 7:18 am

Any guesses on how AA/NWA will combine their fleet if they merge? I would guess that AA would want to get rid of NWAs DC-10s and DC-9s. The complexities of combining the two systems just boggles the mind. What about training NWA cabin staff on 777s, 767s, etc. and training AA cabin staff on 747s, A320, etc. What about the pilots?

I would be very interested in hearing comments/guesses about this from anyone. Thank you!

RE: What Will Happen To Fleet If AA/NWA Merge?

Mon Jul 03, 2000 8:10 am

I think a big reason why AA and NWa probably won't merge is becuase A) their hubs are so close togther and b) their fleets are so different. I think AA will accept NWA's Airbusses (or is it Airbi) and keep their 777s and take NWA's 744s. Their old aircraft such as teh DC9 and -10 will go away eventually and be replaced by A320family/737NG and teh 777. I don't know if they'd have both teh 738 and teh A320family. Hmmm...

Jack

Mon Jul 03, 2000 9:16 am

I think this merger will happen... They're proposing to have a deal within a month. I don't know if they're going to get rid of old aircraft.. It might just stay as a subsidary of American, because their unions are sooo different.. It would be hard for them to combine into 1.
I don't know what hubs and fleets have anything to do with this? Look at United and USAirways.. USAir is primary based out in the east coast, where as United has a strong west coast presence. USAirways has some planes which United doesn't.. US flies A330's, which United does not.. United flies 777's ad USAir does not. I really think that when American and Northwest merge.. it'll be something like Americna pilots fly aircraft in which they were trained to fly and Northwest pilots fly aircraft in which they were trained to fly. American has to do something and Northwest seems like a really good match.. if they sit there and let United take over USAirways leaving them way ahead of them, then they're going to be a loser and won't be able to compete with United.. I think they're making the right move with Northwest. Im a AA Advantage Gold member and i'd be happy if they merged.. giving us more routing and more flexible schedules.

Jason

Mon Jul 03, 2000 11:48 am

NEFlyer, I agree with you on the AA/NW scenario. I think that AA will assume NW's international routes, DTW and MEM hubs and operate the MSP operations as NW with A320's. DTW will open the midfield terminal soon, so the new facilities will be attractive to AA. MSP on ORD are left and ORD is still a VERY important market for AA. The Minnesota Gov't won't allow a withdrawal from MSP, but a regional carrier based there operating as NW to the Northwest I think will be necessary, of course being owned by the AMR holding company. Eventually, maybe, there will be a total consolidation of AA and NW, but it won't happen for a long time.

Air Canada (Canadian & Air Canada), Texas Air (Continental, Eastern, NYAir, PeoplExpress), and Air France (Air Inter, UTA & Air France)have all taken this road before.

Remember, AMR and UAL will be the controlling entities with these mergers, not AA and UA. AMR will be gaining benefit of even separate AA & NW that will still be able to aptly compete with UAL's United/USAirways marriage.

AerLingus

Mon Jul 03, 2000 12:27 pm

I too believe that American and NW will go through with this merger. I was hoping that American would absorb the 747's into their fleet, but I suppose that this would not be a prudent decision as they have already invested in the 777. Could American lease out the 747's?
I think that American is too devoted to Boeing to accept the Airbus planes into the fleet.

-AerLingus
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Mon Jul 03, 2000 12:58 pm

American owns some airbus A300's.. so I think they would accept Airbusses..

Mon Jul 03, 2000 11:23 pm

I am pretty sure that AA and NW will not merge wholly but AMR corp will but NW but not merge it with AA, I bet NW get a little stronger in AA's markets and AA will get a little stronger in NW's markets and AA may even divert one or two flights from ORD to MSP for the london route and that way just being owned and not merged eliminates the worries about aircraft types and engine types but I do think that AA crews and NW crews will be trained to fly the A-320 and 777,737-800,F-100. i also have a gut feeling that the DC-9's and DC-10's will be retired. eventually, i have a feeling that AMR corp will merge the two.

tupolev154b2

Mon Jul 03, 2000 11:50 pm

However, is it true that once AA gets rid of its Airbus jets, it is done with Airbus for good? They haven't been ordering any jets from them since their purchase of A300's and they seem to have committed to an all-Boeing fleet.

CannedSpam

Tue Jul 04, 2000 12:57 am

Just an observation....

It seems that some of you think that if AA and NW do merge, the two companies will remain seperate entities under a single ownership. I'm not too confident that the AA pilots "scope" clause would allow that to happen. According to the clause, Doesn't all flying in behalf of AMR (excluding Eagle) have to be done by pilots on the AA seniority list? This is a very sticky issue! Anyone remember the problems Feb of last year?

sv11

Tue Jul 04, 2000 2:03 am

If they merge, I think the 747-100/200s, DC-9, Dc-10 will be retired and replaced with 777 and 717. The other aircraft will probably be around. Since NW has a large A320 fleet, it is unlikely to go.

sv11

na

Tue Jul 04, 2000 2:30 am

I don´t believe in a 100% merger. Even if AA buys NW they´ll only make big business if they let both brands live. Workforce and fleet rationalisation, the chance to buy aircraft cheaper, fire 30% of the joint management makes some sense of course.

Another reason not to expect an decision soon by NW on which aircraft type will come after 747 Classics and DC-10s.

na

Tue Jul 04, 2000 2:30 am

I don´t believe in a 100% merger. Even if AA buys NW they´ll only make big business if they let both brands live. Workforce and fleet rationalisation, the chance to buy aircraft cheaper, fire 30% of the joint management makes some sense of course.

Another reason not to expect an decision soon by NW on which aircraft type will come after 747 Classics and DC-10s.

Tue Jul 04, 2000 3:17 am

I don't believe that the AA/NW merger will happen. Why? Several reasons.
Hubs. What does AA stand to gain by buying NW? A few new hubs...great. Unfortunately for AA, NW's hubs are very close to their own (MSP-ORD, MEM-MIA, etc.).
Fleets.
AA's fleet- A300, B727, B752, B762, B762ER, B763ER, B772, DC-10-10/-30, F100, MD-11, MD-82/83/88/90.
NW's fleet- A319, A320, B727, B742B, B742F, B744, B752, DC-9-10,-30,-40,-50, DC-10-30/-40.
I see minimal commonality between the two. Merging the two fleets while keeping pilots happy would be hard, if not impossible. The A319s and A320s would likely go almost immediately, raising hell from pilots' unions, the 747s would also be quick to go (more pilot union fun), and if you expect AA to hold on to DC-9 and DC-10 for more than a few months, you're nuts. In other words, AA would keep the B752s and B727s. I don't know about AA, but I'd personally just buy some new (or, in B727's case, secondhand) a/c.
No, the AA/NW merger won't happen, AFAIC. The logisitics tell the story- it's a smokescreen to keep the DOJ from allowing the UA/US merger, which, itself, will never happen.

Ryefly

Tue Jul 04, 2000 4:59 am

I don't think the merger will happen, but if it did, I think it would be a waste of money. Sure you will get a few more hubs and slots over the Pacific, but the fleet is so different, and expensive to replace. At the top of the list American would keep the 757's and 747-400's. I am not certain about the airbus yet. I know American is loyal to Boeing. Call me crazy, but if the two were to merge I could see American saving some money by keeping the airbus 320's and canceling its order for NG 737's. There is a lot more A320's in NW fleet than AA's fleet of 737-800's. Plus, the 727 fleet would need to be replaced from both airlines. The A320 has proven to be a great replacement for it. The DC-10's and 747 classics would certainly be replaced with 767's/777's. As for the large fleet of DC-9's? This is yet another problem to predict. If American were to switch to Airbus for their smaller sized planes, they just might order the A318/19 to replace the DC-9's and F-100's. If Boeing, the 717 would fit the bill. No matter how you come up with it, if they picked airbus or Boeing, it will be a huge mess. Its just too many planes to replace and to many pilots to train. Talk about major delays and cancelations!! The lack of pilots for training and the ammount of NW/AA's aircraft lost in order to have commonality would be foolish just to stay cometitive with United. The key is how good you are not how big you are. American could stay competitive with United as is if they really needed too.

USAirways

Tue Jul 04, 2000 6:10 am

I am really hoping that NWA and AA do not merge in any way, shape or form because in RST we only have Northwest Airlines/Airlink, and American Airlines, if they combined the steep prices will only rise higher.

Tue Jul 04, 2000 6:23 am

AMR has said, that whether they acutually WANT NWA does not matter, it is a fact of NEEDING NWA. UAL has forced their hand to do something and given all the choices, NWA is the best option. The market has dictated this and AMR must react.

The situation with the hubs and fleet is probably the least of AMR's concerns. I think justifying this to the unions is top priority and AMR has already entered negotiations to get the pilots aboard for this deal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos