Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SurferX
Topic Author

My Job W/ B6

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:29 am

Ok, since my original post has been archived, I thought I'd update everyone on the status of my new job...(Just to refresh: Ground Crew @ LAS)

So, almost 3 months have passed since my interview. What a to-do this whole process was!

Oh man...

So, basically after the interview, I had to send a lot of faxes with information to jetBlue in regards to my job history, my high school records, some background info (I had a criminal charge falsely filed against me and it appeared on my record eventhough it was dropped), and then we had to find a training class that wasn't full that would work with my schedule. What a process!

The girl that was helping me with everything was terrific (Elizabeth in the People Department). She was extremely awesome and very patient with me and all the issuses that arose.

But, finally the time has come for me to be shipped off to Orlando! I leave on the 9th from LAS on Flt. 196 @ 10:30pm to JFK and then have to change planes to Flt. 45 to MCO. I'm really not looking forward to the late flight. I'll get to NY at 3:30am west coast time! But, it's all good though...At least it's for a good cause, and I get to be in one of my favorite cities for 11 days!

So, I just wanted to bring everyone up to speed on this (for those that care), and I also wanted to let everyone know that I'm going to be blogging and podcasting about all my experiences in training and on the job as well (don't worry, I've been talking to a couple of podcasters about it, and I think I know how to get around the legal stuff). So, if any of you are interested, you can check out:

http://web.mac.com/zwinnick/

There isn't much up there right now, but there will be soon!

MiCorazonAzul

RE: My Job W/ B6

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:32 am

Well, all I can say is have fun in MCO and WELCOME to the JetBlue family!  Big grin
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

N353SK

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:32 am

Bring lots of stuff to do, you're going to be spending quite a bit of time in a hotel room with no car.

DLX737200

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:38 am

Are you planning on renting a car at all while you're here? Have fun on those weekends. There's not much to do in this town without a car. You could always explore the LYNX bus system. I don't know where you'd want to go but it might be able to help you.

-Justin

Goldenshield

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:46 am

Perhaps when you get done with your training, I can drive down and pay for the 2nd and 5th rounds at the bar.  Smile
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

SurferX
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:02 am

I know a couple of people that live down there that I'm going to be hanging out with. I plan on hitting up Universal Studios too (haven't been there since it first opened back in 1991!), so that should take up a day. Lord knows what I'm going to do on Sunday...I'll figure it out...

Thanks everyone!

(Goldenshield...Might have to take you up on that one!)

crogalski

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:23 am

Make sure you check out Halloween Horror Nights at Universal!

Also, bennigans is a great place to eat  Smile
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

SurferX
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:23 am

HHN is the best! I really missed the one out in Hollywood. Thank God they brought it back this year. Also, Bennigans is awesome! I ate at the one in Santa Clara a couple of years ago and would totally go back!

Thanks!

AUSBlue

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting SurferX (Thread starter):
and I also wanted to let everyone know that I'm going to be blogging and podcasting about all my experiences in training and on the job as well (don't worry, I've been talking to a couple of podcasters about it, and I think I know how to get around the legal stuff).

Just be careful! I would be VERY selective of what you post or blog. B6 legal is constantly on the watch.  covereyes 
Love da' Blue!

SurferX
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:01 am

^ Yeah, I know...I've already received the lowdown...I think I have a pretty good idea of what I can say and what I can't say (major details, etc).

It will really be an experience.

IFEMaster

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting AUSBlue (Reply 8):
ust be careful! I would be VERY selective of what you post or blog. B6 legal is constantly on the watch.

checkmark 

And keep yourself as anonymous as possible. For example, on my blog or any other website or even on here, I've never divulged the name of my company, and I've never divuled my last name.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

JetBlueAUS

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:55 am

Great job! Every crewmember or employee that I've met for JetBlue has always said they love their job. I'm sure you will too.

Hope you have a great time working for JetBlue!
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

trekster

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:57 am

Congratulations.

Hope you enjoy working for THE best airline around. Such a shame there not in the UK.
I have seen a video of training with the airline and it looks great Enjoy Smile
Where does the time go???

r311music

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:32 am

Nice, about how long did it take for them to get back to you after you applied? I just recently applied for a ground ops posistion in BOS and just wanted to know how long I should wait around.
confusing use of time

NIKV69

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:41 am

Sounds like a process but seems like B6 wants to assemble the best staff. It shows, good luck and maybe I will see you at LAS this winter. I will be at the viewing area taking pictures or the parking garage or wherever  biggrin 
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

SurferX
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:56 am

^^ It took about a week and a half if I remember correctly, but it could be more or less...It was basically a phone interview (screening) and then the next week I had my "group" interview (it was just me and another guy, so the station manager interviewed us separately). Then the whole process started...Background check (resume, school, criminal, etc) and the physical abilities test (super easy). All that took almost 3 months, but it's well worth it. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM/E-mail me at any time!

^ I'll see ya there!

FlyDeltaJets

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting SurferX (Thread starter):

Wow they send Ground Crew employees to Orlando for training, is that b/c LAS is an outstation or is that policy systemwide. I ask b/c I have to friends that work for B6 and they didn't go out there. The work at JFK by the way.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

SurferX
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:15 am

They told me I could expect to be at any one of these 5 stations for training...

JFK, BOS, LGB, MCO, and SLC

I was hoping for BOS or LGB (BOS because I've never been there and LGB because it's close to home), but I'll take MCO any day.

I'm not quite sure how they pick the training...I'm guessing everyone usually ends up at MCO unless they are at one of the 5 listed cities...

r311music

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:21 am

Ah thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a call today, just two days after I applied. I'm guessing there are in dire need for people at BOS.

Oh yea, I hope you keep your blog/podcast up to date once you start your training. It's on my favorites list and I'm looking foward to the inside scoop on it. I might be doing the same in a few months.
confusing use of time

SurferX
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:58 pm

Totally man...Good luck with the interview! Keep us all posted as to what happens (well, if anything, keep me posted...). Again, if you need any help or have any questions, let me know anytime!

sunking737

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:06 pm

SurferX, seems we have something in common. I am going to work for US in MSP. They call there ramp people Fleet Service. I go in two weeks to PHX for training for a week, Sun. - Friday. Class runs Mon. to Fri. If I was being set to MCO my family would revolt. As my kids want to go back to WDW.

It took several months to get hired also, plus a one day trip to PHX for all the offical screening. I guess I will have to keep a journal of things that happen with me and post it when I get back.

Good luck with Blue. Have you ever worked at an airline before?
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

beertrucker

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:13 pm

Good luck with B6. I had an interview with them at the end of Sep. But I did not get the job this time. But the person who did my interview did tell me to put in for the job again in a year. She told me if they had one more spot I would have made it. Now that hurt. But no big deal. Jobs with B6 are competative.

I live near MCO. If you are going to go to Universal. Since you are coming here in Oct. You really need to go to Holloween Horror Nights at Universal. I am planning on going there for that myself on the 11th. It is a lot of fun. Hope you have time to check it out. Good luck in training.
Fly HI

SurferX
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:31 am

^ Yeah, I used to live down in Orlando (well, like 16 years ago...My Dad was in charge of designing and constructing USF and then later became the GM). However, I haven't been there for Halloween before (I've been to the park in Hollywood every year they had a Halloween event), so I'm really looking forward to it!

^^Haha! yeah...My girlfriend was trying to figure out a way to come with me since she's never been further east than SAT, so I know exactly how you feel! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences in PHX! I'm sure we'll have a lot of stories to tell!

EMBQA

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:26 am

I'm thinking of knocking on their door, but I'm not sure yet.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

r311music

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:24 pm

What should one except at the Jetblue interview? I have my group interview this wed, so I don't have a lot of time to prepare for it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Rob
confusing use of time

SurferX
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:22 pm

Just be honest, yourself, and remember that the company is VERY customer oriented (and they are really good at spotting fakes).

SurferX
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:04 am

So, I don't know if anyone's been reading my blog, but I've been updating it every day...

http://web.mac.com/zwinnick

Nothing special, but just for those of you interested...

LUVRSW

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:18 pm

Dude,

Little tip for ya....if you want any chance of making it through training, dump the psycho pic of you on your blog, and don't mention "drinking beer and eating wings" at Hooters. I don't think Needleman would be very impressed. How about trying a salad?

Jerseyguy

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:25 pm

Quoting LUVRSW (Reply 27):
I don't think Needleman would be very impressed. How about trying a salad?

I don't think Neelemen would be impressed either  Big grin

MCOflyer

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:36 pm

I was offered a job for Cust. Service ops at MCO, but turned down due to school. I live in Melbourne, so if you anything hit me up.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos