Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aircellist
Topic Author

Radio-Canada: Remembering The Opening Of Mirabel

Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:12 am

On october 4, 1975, Mirabel airport was inaugurated, in presence of Pierre Trudeau and Robert Bourassa, among others.

Here is an archive file from Radio-Canada about the event, and also about the history of the project, for those interested (in French)

http://archives.radio-canada.ca/IDC-...ique_economie/mirabel_inauguration
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

wideman

RE: Radio-Canada: Remembering The Opening Of Mirabel

Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

Just a small modification to the SRC text: Some scheduled flights between the US and Mirabel took place well before 1980. In 1978, I flew YMX-ORD on AF -- they had somehow gotten the right to sell tickets on that route. (At that time, it was common for European carriers to have flights that made two stops in North America -- for example, SN flew BRU-BOS-PHL and BRU-BOS-ATL -- but it was much less common for the Euro carriers to have traffic rights between the 2 N.A. cities.)

Was it at the opening of Mirabel, or was it at some later point, that Gen de Gaulle showed up to make his [in]famous "Vive le Québec libre!" pronouncement?

Qb001

Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:32 pm

Quoting Wideman (Reply 1):
Was it at the opening of Mirabel, or was it at some later point, that Gen de Gaulle showed up to make his [in]famous "Vive le Québec libre!" pronouncement?

De Gaulle died in 1970.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

civilav

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting Wideman (Reply 1):
that Gen de Gaulle showed up to make his [in]famous "Vive le Québec libre!" pronouncement?

As far as I can recall, that "famous" pronouncement by Charles de Gaulle on the balcony of Montreal`s City Hall occurred during his State visit to Canada in July 1967 on the occasion of the city's hosting the World Expo '67 event. Canada was celebrating its centennial as a nation then.

In short, this occurred a full 8 years before Mirabel was inaugurated and at least 5 prior to the Trudeau administration giving the go-ahead to the construction of a great airport that would sadly become a white elephant with time.

Hope this helps !

Greetings from Cancun

Aircellist
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:56 am

"Vive le Québec libre!" was said at the occasion of Expo 67, the world fair held in Montréal. It was said during a discourse from Montréal's city hall's balcony.

Not much about airports in it. The only question relating to air transport is that De Gaulle, if he had come by plane, would have had to land at the capital's airport, Ottawa, but he came by boat, so he could land in Québec city... At the time, this crossing was also meant to be a tribute to the pioneers.

Right after the balcony discourse, however, he was somehow asked to leave ASAP, and took his plane from Dorval!
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos