Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

757lgw
Topic Author

Ban Of Liquids, Will It End Soon?

Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:46 am

Im just wondering if anyone knows if the liquid ban will end anytime soon, its really annoying next month im flying but not staying for long so i was planning on taking just hang baggage as this will also avoid paying for hold baggage.
But i want to take my hair jel and i really cant be bothered to check in it and wait at baggage reclaim.
so i was also thinking if the ban is still in place do you think i would get away with selotaping it to the inside of my boxers?

FutureFO

RE: Ban Of Liquids, Will It End Soon?

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:01 am

In the US you can bring a small amount of liquids thru security. no more than 3 oz per liquid item. I am sure the UK is also under a reduced restriction, since the US and the UK seem to play monkey see monkey do all the time with each other.
I Don't know where I am anymore

georgiaame

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:40 am

According to Gatwick's web site, it is still no liquids in carry on, flying into the States. I don't recall if it's the same restrictions out of the UK to other destinations, but you can check their web site. On this side, max of 3oz placed in a clear, zip lock bag that gets screened separately.

Yeah, it's a real pain in the butt. The fanatics have won, I'm afraid. We only respond after they have made their moves.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

Ralgha

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:42 am

They never should have instigated the ban since there is effectively zero risk from liquid explosives, the likelyhood that the bomber would make it to the airplane without killing him/herself first is next to nothing. Things such as gasoline could be taken through security without much problem at all, even when there was a total ban on liquids, and even if you got the "SSSS" on your boarding pass. Maybe the UK is different, but the the pat-downs in the US that you get with the "SSSS" are a joke.

[Edited 2006-10-05 22:43:29]
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

OB1783P

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:35 am

I'm going to Guatemala from the U.S. in November, and I will need to take a 6oz bottle of bug spray with me: that means I must check my bag, right? How weirdly annoying!
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

phoenixflyer

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 3):
Maybe the UK is different, but the the pat-downs in the US that you get with the "SSSS" are a joke.

When I flew through LAX I wasn't just patted down. They went through both my backpack and my carry on. It adds a few extra minutes to the whole process but they two guys that did it were joking with me the whole time.

Also the ban isnt just so people cant bring explosives on board. Think of epoxy glue. Individually the two liquids dont hold much. Its only when they combine do they become a strong glue. Its having terrorists bringing on the components to a small explosive and mixing them on site. These terrorist organizations are not stupid. They know what they are doing and they do their research.

COEWR737

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:41 am

I boarded a flight from MCO - CLE with my boarding pass in one hand and a full bottle of Iced Tea in the other. But the drink was bought in a cafe in the beyond security.
The Aviation Triangle: Pilot, Flight Attendant, and Aircraft Mechanic

bond007

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting 757lgw (Thread starter):
so i was also thinking if the ban is still in place do you think i would get away with selotaping it to the inside of my boxers?

I do hope you're kidding!

If you did and they caught you..you'd probably end up in big trouble and miss your flight...and deserve everything you get.

Whether the ban makes sense or not is irrelevant in this discussion. If it's banned, then don't take it on. Either "be bothered" to check it, or spend $3 at the other end and buy some.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

TransWorldSTL

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting COEWR737 (Reply 6):
I boarded a flight from MCO - CLE with my boarding pass in one hand and a full bottle of Iced Tea in the other. But the drink was bought in a cafe in the beyond security.

Whats the point? You can take drinks you buy past security onboard now.

luv2fly

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 2):
According to Gatwick's web site, it is still no liquids in carry on, flying into the States. I don't recall if it's the same restrictions out of the UK to other destinations, but you can check their web site. On this side, max of 3oz placed in a clear, zip lock bag that gets screened separately.

Yeah, it's a real pain in the butt. The fanatics have won, I'm afraid. We only respond after they have made their moves.

The size of the zip lock bag is limited to a quart size bag no one item can be over 3 oz and the bag must close easily can not be packed totally full.
You can cut the irony with a knife

757lgw
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:30 am

i wasnt kidding to be honest when ive been searched they dont feel that far up your leg , and theyve checked the bottoms of my shoes but never my socks at the end of the day im harmless all i want to do is take my hair gel , yes im a vein teenager and yes i have had to fix my hair in the aircraft toilet before.

And yes i guess it would look pretty suspicious if i was trying to hide it. i guess i could try just putting it in my hand baggage , is someone really going to be able to identify the object is a liquid, thats if thyre not too busy chatting and acctually looking at the x-ray screen.
i guess that way if i do get caught i can just say i didnt know it was banned seen as im just 17 and traveling on my own maybe they wont give me a mouthfull seen as it is plastered everywhere.

bond007

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting 757lgw (Reply 10):
i guess that way if i do get caught i can just say i didnt know it was banned

....then why tape it to your leg ???

By doing things like this you make it worse for everyone and doesn't help remove these restrictions.

.....oh, I'd love to see how many people you'd hold up in the line behind you if you got caught at security.

Stupid idea!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

vv701

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting 757lgw (Thread starter):
Im just wondering if anyone knows if the liquid ban will end anytime soon

There is a press release on the British Airways web site (ba.com) reviewing their September performance that includes the phrase:

'. . . harmonization of rules on liquids planned for the end of October . . .'

What this means exactly I do not know. But it more than strongly suggests that some restrictions will continue.

FL370

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:36 am

the xray machines can tell if you have a liquid in your bag, it shows the shape the bottle or w/e is holding the liquid. it shows as a light grey outline! your not going to get away in bring a small water bottle past checkpoint. i know this becuase they wouldn't let me bring a snapple past checkpoint when they even saw me buy it at the shop across the checkpoint.

DON"T TRY TO HIDE ANY LIQUIDS IN YOUR BAGS, THEY'LL FIND IT!!!!!

fl370

ehho

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:42 pm

It's a sorry thing, but the EU is going to introduce a pretty hefty ban starting early next year. It will include basically all liquids except drinks and perfumes bought airside and some small amounts taken in special plastic bags. Pretty crappy, if you ask me.

Source: BBC: EU restricts hand-luggage liquid
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

AlexPorter

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:03 pm

Is it 3 oz total for all liquids, or is it a max of 3 oz per each liquid?
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

andz

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:09 pm

I flew through LHR twice at the end of September and the rules were:

No liquids, gels, creams etc could be taken through security.
Once through security any liquids etc. obtained there could be taken on board, except on flights to the USA.
In T1 where you leave the retail area to head to the gates there is a sign "no liquids in open containers beyond this point"

Pretty straightforward really.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

DesertAir

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:20 pm

I hope this ban ends soon. I flew last weekend and it seemed as though every flight was late due to the amount of baggage being loaded. I am flying today and trying out the quart size bag, no more than 3 oz. for liquids for carry on.

kmh1956

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:00 pm

Can't you just buy a small 'travel-size' hair gel which would be within the permitted limits? Or buy one when you get where you're going?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Ralgha

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 5):
Its having terrorists bringing on the components to a small explosive and mixing them on site. These terrorist organizations are not stupid. They know what they are doing and they do their research.

Do you have any idea how unstable these components are while mixing? Common ingredients are sulferic acid and 50% solution hydrogen peroxide. That stuff is nasty. You have to be able to cool it will mixing (dry ice or a bathtub full of ice would work), or it will basically boil over in your face, covering you in quite the evil oxidyzer, and that only gets you halfway there. No, the risk of a successful mixing onboard is effectively zero.

[Edited 2006-10-06 14:05:39]
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

luv2fly

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 15):
Is it 3 oz total for all liquids, or is it a max of 3 oz per each liquid?

It is 3 oz each though all must fit EASILY into a 1 quart zip lock bag, it must close and not be packed full and tight with items.
You can cut the irony with a knife

phoenixflyer

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 19):
Common ingredients are sulferic acid and 50% solution hydrogen peroxide. That stuff is nasty

Not really actually. hydrogen peroxide isnt nasty at all, its used to treat wounds quite often and some people use it as a mouth wash. Sulfuric acid alone will burn so use gloves and use the water in the bathroom to wash it off. Mixing those two together give you Caro's acid which is used as a pool cleaner. Ive never heard of a pool exploding so thats not going to get you an explosive. An easy was to start a fire would be to use water and solid potassium. use that to ignite some peroxyacetone, which is very easy to make, and there you go. explosion.

ADXMatt

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:27 pm

DON"T TRY TO HIDE ANY LIQUIDS IN YOUR BAGS, THEY'LL FIND IT!!!!!

Depends on the airport....
On a recent trip the outbound screeners didn't detect my hairgel but they did on the return.

Boy did I get a talking to... It was 6oz bottle but very little left inside and my ziplock bag was too big. I also got yelled at because I didn't take it out of my bag to be screened separately. I then was subjected to a secondary screening. Total extra time was about 15 min.

Funny thing is they never took the hair gel away.

cgnnrw

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:41 pm

What I want to know why does everything have to be in a zip-lock baggie? Stockholders for Zip-lock are probably laughing all the way to bank now.
A330 man.

malaysia

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:11 am

I was able to take my 4oz lens cleaner, I kept it seperate from the ziplock bag, I ran into problems with some uninformed TSA, but they finally let me through, I saw on the TSA site, that 4oz is okay for saline and other stuff but must be declared seperately from the ziplock bag.

Sadly I lost all of it including all the items in my ziplock bag during security on return to LAX from KUL. Apparently Malaysia still had no information about the ziplock bag update.

I was very upset.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

ATCme

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 19):
Do you have any idea how unstable these components are while mixing?

How do you know? Had experience?  sarcastic 

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 21):
hydrogen peroxide isnt nasty at all,

The stuff you use for cuts or mouthwash is only 1% hydrogen peroxide, the rest is water.

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 21):
An easy was to start a fire would be to use water and solid potassium.

Why would you say this? Do you really want to give people ideas? and how would they get it onboard without moisture touching it?

Think before opening your mouth.
ATCme  spin 
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

N766UA

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:06 am

The new liquids restrictions for here in the states really aren't bad. Up to 3 oz. permits travel size everything. If you need anything more than that you're likely on a long trip and thus will be checking a bag anyway, so no loss. I think it's actually a good idea for a change.

ZeeDub

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 3):
Things such as gasoline could be taken through security without much problem at all, even when there was a total ban on liquids, and even if you got the "SSSS" on your boarding pass. Maybe the UK is different, but the the pat-downs in the US that you get with the "SSSS" are a joke.

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 22):
Depends on the airport....
On a recent trip the outbound screeners didn't detect my hairgel but they did on the return.

Quoting FL370 (Reply 13):
the xray machines can tell if you have a liquid in your bag, it shows the shape the bottle or w/e is holding the liquid. it shows as a light grey outline!

Hey, I've got an idea, let's discuss things that are printed on boarding passes that airline employees aren't supposed to discuss without cause and how TSA detects conrtaband on an Internet forum....
No, the OTHER button....there you go.

PlymSpotter

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:42 am

Hair gel could be a problem, drinks don't seem to be anymore here in the UK. Just so long as you actually consume some of it in front of the screener. I flew a couple of days ago with shed loads of Tomato Ketchup sachets in my bag (don't ask! lol) and they didn't pick this up at screening, so perhaps if you are only going for a short time you could try and get a small gel sachet, I think they sell these specifically for people who travel a lot. I doubt they would have an issue with this even if they found it, as its sealed at manufacture.

Save that just buy some gel when you get to your destination.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

bayareapilot

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:11 pm

Anyone who knows anything about chemistry knows the chances of mixing an explosive strong enough to take down a plane on board said plane are essentially zero.

Anyone who knows anything about chemistry also knows 3 oz. of dimethylmercury is more than enough to kill a planeload of people.

VonRichtofen

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:22 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 1):
In the US you can bring a small amount of liquids thru security. no more than 3 oz per liquid item. I am sure the UK is also under a reduced restriction, since the US and the UK seem to play monkey see monkey do all the time with each other.

This is only in the US and Canada. The UK is still under the original restrictions.

Kris

phoenixflyer

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting ATCme (Reply 25):
Think before opening your mouth.

like none of this is advanced chemisty. and who am i giving ideas to exactly? the terrorists who are a.net members? lol

Quoting ATCme (Reply 25):
and how would they get it onboard without moisture touching it?

its called a bottle. how do you think its transported? its not nuclear waste.

Quoting BayAreaPilot (Reply 29):
Anyone who knows anything about chemistry knows the chances of mixing an explosive strong enough to take down a plane on board said plane are essentially zero.

i have a bachleors degree in biochemistry and am working towards my phd. is that enough for you? im not saying some guys are going to make a pure explosive just by mixing some liquids together then completely explode a plane. they can however get enough to cause serious damage.

theres obviously a reason why liquids had been completely banned.