Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Shenzhen

RE: Etihad CEO: A380 A "Tremendous Aircraft"

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 17):
Have you even see the A380 in person yet? I hope you have because before I visited the USA I thought all Americans would be fat moronic idiots but after I visited I realised that whilst a lot of you are indeed fat and moronic, there is a certain something about them that keep people coming back.

Has your Mommy drove you to see the airplane? How was the Choo Choo ride? Did you get to go in a really really big tunnel.

Ok, off to bed now...... LOL

MYT332

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Shenzhen (Reply 50):
Has your Mommy drove you to see the airplane? How was the Choo Choo ride? Did you get to go in a really really big tunnel.

You'll like this: I took the choo choo to see the aeroplane and I once drove through this really big tunnel, see my profile, and whilst it is past my bed time, I'm going to stay up and be a big boy tonight!

That ok with you dad?  Wink
One Life, Live it.

BoomBoom

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 48):
Airlines survived the cancellation of the 717 and the 727 and the 757.

The reason those were cancelled is because the airlines didn't want anymore.

[Edited 2006-10-08 00:30:12]
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

2wingtips

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Zeke (Reply 24):
My understanding is that the 748i has had an OEW increase of 21t and range reduction of between 500-1000 nm since launched (due to the fuselage stretch). SQ did look at this aircraft, they got no additional capacity in the 748i over the 744 with the new seating arrangements, i.e. the 748i is still about 100 seats behind the A380, with less range and payload.

Your understanding would appear to be totally incorrect, unless you can source otherwise(which you obviously can't). The 748I with the smaller stretch had a range of 8,300nm, but it appears the longer stretch will see service, and it's ranged at 8,000nm. Certainly on a par or better than the range of the 388.
300nm extra range was found in wind tunnel tests and this has oft been mentioned in the media(find it yourself as you didn't bother to acknowledge the last time I quoted exactly what was asked, as you obviously go very quiet when proven wrong). OEW will increase as the fuselage has been lengthened. Can't comment if the 21t figure is correct. Of course it won't carry as much payload, it's a smaller aircraft, so that comment is completely redundant. Efficiency comparisons b/w 748I and 388 will likely favour the 748I in many instances IMO. Certainly the GEnx engines are a huge advantage.

OldAeroGuy

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 48):
But that is Airbus' problem, not the customer's.

Couldn't agree more.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

zeke

Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting 2wingtips (Reply 53):
Your understanding would appear to be totally incorrect, unless you can source otherwise(which you obviously can't).

The 748i planning documents over time have shown various OEW and ranges. I have not collated them on a spreadsheet, however the numbers I stated are the best I could remember, hence I qualified my comments.

My recollection was the follows:
747X - 7800nm, 430 pax, OEW approx 181t.
748i launched - 8000nm, 450 pax, OEW approx 204t.
748i wind tunnel refinement - range increase by 300 nm some wing design change
748i stretch - OEW increase to approx 210t, range decreased approx 300-400 nm below 8000 nm
748i stretch launch - fuel payload increased by approx 11t, structural reinforcement, OEW increase to approx 212t, decreased payload, range back to 8000 nm, approx 470 pax.

If you have numbers that suggest that the OEW has decreased and payload and range increased with the stretch I would be more than pleased if you could share them.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

aeroplan73

Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 1):
All the airlines have generally agreed on this point, which is why none of them have cancelled any orders

At the end of the day, the A380 and Airbus will be just fine. A commercial aircraft that gives an airline so much revenue option flexibility, is what matters most.

Airbus will take the hit, pay the compensation, lick their wounds, and press on.

Once the A380 is sorted out, focus on the next generation of A320, and re-visit fast tracking the XWB when company resources permit.
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

BoomBoom

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:12 pm

Quoting Aeroplan73 (Reply 56):
...the A380 and Airbus will be just fine. A commercial aircraft that gives an airline so much revenue option flexibility, is what matters most.

The 787 is far more flexible.
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

Dougloid

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting WINGS (Reply 15):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):

Yes, but we are talking about the overweight red-haired stepchild of the aviation world!

Last time I checked it was the B787 that was suffering form some extra Kilos. While the A380 has already been through a diet.

Regards,
Wings

And the outcome was that the basic operating weight by Airbus own figures went from 595,000 pounds in the Airport Facilities Planning guide that they published to the recently revised figure of 606,000.

Some diet.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it went up significantly from there. See, what we don't have is

1. An honest to god scale weight for a green A380
2. An honest to god scale weight for an A380 with paint and a real interior that's in customer delivery configuration-oh, I forgot. There is no such aircraft. So they either don't know what the interior really weighs or they're not saying.

Those two figures are nowhere to be found except at Festung Airbus, and they're not talking.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

billreid

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):
Despite the new delays Etihad Airways remains optimistic about the A380. To adapt to the delay, the airline may firm up options on other 12 Airbus aircraft.

Gee I am totally surprized that an Arab airline doesn't like a US product? tremendous surprize.
They will prefer Boeing the moment thay also embrace Israel.

Etihad,

Thats right they are bigger than
AA
DL
UA
AK
KL
BA
And so on.

Find me a real airline please!!!!!

Cape air doesn't prefer Airbus products????
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

PM

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 16):
But since Airbus is the underdog here, everyone is waxing sympathetic.

rotfl  (I've no idea what "rotfl" means but I've been waiting for weeks for a post funny enough to use it.) "Everyone is waxing sympathetic." Oh, yes. Toulouse is disappearing under the mountains of cards and bunches of flowers sent by concerned A.Netters. It brings a tear to the eye.  Wink

Quoting BillReid (Reply 59):
Gee I am totally surprized that an Arab airline doesn't like a US product?

Are you perhaps getting this a little out of proportion? Saudia? RAM? Egyptair? Even Emirates have bought the old Boeing or sixty.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:00 pm

Gee I am totally surprized that an Arab airline doesn't like a US product? tremendous surprize.

If you actually decided to learn anything about Etihad Airways, then you'd probably surprised to see them operating five B777-300ERs...  Yeah sure

And btw - Egypt Air, Emirates, Kuwait Airways, Oman Air, Qatar Airways, Saudi Arabian and Yemenia aren't Arab airlines? According to you, they can't be, because they apparently "like" US products...  Yeah sure

They will prefer Boeing the moment thay also embrace Israel.

Yeah sure

Etihad,

Thats right they are bigger than
AA
DL
UA
AK
KL
BA
And so on.

No, they aren't bigger - what's your point? And btw - what's the purpose of bringing up AK (= Air Asia) here?

Find me a real airline please!!!!!

Etihad is a real airline, and after having flown it, I can confirm it's run by professionals and offers excellent services. I'd prefer it over "big airlines" such as AA, BA, DL, KL, UA anytime.

Get your facts straight about that carrier before we talk next time...

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

OldAeroGuy

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Gee I am totally surprized that an Arab airline doesn't like a US product?

As mentioned above, they do fly five 773ER's.

Spare us the nationalistic diatribe.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

UK_Dispatcher

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:20 pm

It has just been officially announced in the last few minutes that James Hogan has been appointed as Etihad CEO with immediate effect.

na

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):
"We're very much looking forward to incorporating the A380. It's a tremendous aircraft."

I´ve seen the A380 twice so far, and I´ve never seen a large airliner performing such a stunning flight display as the A380 at Farnborough. And its so extremely quiet it makes the 777 a noisy beast. Could compare it well as they took off within a short time there.

osiris30

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting EbbUK (Reply 49):
You say that but BA have already been pruning on the kangaroo route, I believe they've stopped MEL and scaled down SYD to the tiny T7. BA are victims anyway of their own legacy and it will ultimately bring them to their knees. That pension deficit is just the tip of iceberg. The vultures are circling......

As much as I dislike BA, tone down the hyperbole. BA isn't going anywhere for a long time. If UA and NW survived so will BA.

Quoting PM (Reply 60):
I've no idea what "rotfl"

Rolling On The Floor Laughing

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 63):
It has just been officially announced in the last few minutes that James Hogan has been appointed as Etihad CEO with immediate effect.

That will prove interesting.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

zeke

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 65):
As much as I dislike BA, tone down the hyperbole. BA isn't going anywhere for a long time. If UA and NW survived so will BA.

Maybe we need a new thread over this "pension deficit", I understand that no additional BA aircraft can be purchased until it is sorted.

Most countries in the world do not allow Chapter 11 style arrangements, in my personal view only UA, NW et al and other airlines that went Chapter 11 should have closed up.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

osiris30

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting Zeke (Reply 66):
Maybe we need a new thread over this "pension deficit", I understand that no additional BA aircraft can be purchased until it is sorted.

My understanding of that pension deficit is it is at least partially due to they way they have to report their investments. I still maintain that won't sink BA.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

zeke

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 67):
My understanding of that pension deficit is it is at least partially due to they way they have to report their investments. I still maintain that won't sink BA.

I freely admit I do not understand the complexities of the situation. I am troubled by large legacy airlines in the USA that have slashed the value of the pension to their pilots for accounting reasons.

I would have a problem, as I guess most pilots would if BA sort to reduce the available pension sum down for them to purchase new aircraft.

The pilots who have retired, or are about to have made their contributions to these funds, I dont feel its the place of some upstart accountant to reduce such worth to purchase new aircraft infront of paying existing pension scheme debts.

I am not suggesting it will sink BA, however I do think most if not all of their profits is paying interest on existing debts.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos