Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DILF

RE: Why US Airways Is Big At Losing...

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:30 am

OUCCCHHHHH!! What an article.

I was a Passenger Service Supervisor at USAirways Express from 1991 to 1998 at a station unfortunate enough to have most of our service to/from the PHL hub and I can't believe that the situation I encountered daiily in dealing with that cursed station hasn't not only not improved, but from the sound of things, it's gotten SO much worse!!

Quoting QFSYD744 (Reply 1):
1/ Headquarters have been moved to Tempe, in Phoenix, a non long haul US Airways/America West gateway. Why was that?

What does being a long haul gateway have to do with where HQ is? US' previous HQ before was outside DCA . . also not a longhaul gateway.

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 5):
Is there any particular reason they can't fire the people who don't show up to their shifts? Or the ones that duck out?

Money IS the issue. It boggles my mind that someone like Parker -making his 5.7 million + -would sit there in his ivory tower and say that 9.59 an hr was "market rate" and was acceptable and couldn't possibly be the problem!
You get what you pay for.

Quoting Jaybird (Reply 6):
they're using the name US because they felt it was better known ..

It was - and not in a good way at all. USAirways didn't have the best reputation going into this whole merge (ie bankruptcies, accidents, bad service, labor problems, PHL!!) - - the name should have been completely done away with and another one thought up - for a completely fresh new start.

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 24):
With the A350 situation going no where fast they should get all the A330-200 they can and think about the A350 as something ten years from now.

Or start thinking about Boeing again. Keeping all their eggs in the Airbus basket for their future growth isn't particularly smart - especially with all the woes at Airbus at the moment!
NO MORE Trip Reports about SQ First Class! Or TG, CX or MH! E-N-O-U-G-H !!

NoBoeingNoGoin

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:36 am

Hey All. I am a US employee in TYS. As far as the computer systems go. US airways agents currently use Sabre and HP agents use Shares. The HP agents use something called QIK which is an overlay on shares... So they dont' have to do the long entries like we do at East. Recently, the East side will be getting new computers than run QIK on sabre. So basically, we will be using the same entries as the HP entries... but the res system is still Sabre. The training department has told us that Sabre will be gone Nov. 1... But I am not sure if that is true. As far as checking in here is how it goes... At a station, like TYS, we don't have any HP agents and no access to Shares... Sabre will automatically check-in all segments in the record that have "an edifact connection." So if someone checks in for TYS-PHL-PHX-SAN, we can generate boarding passes for all segments.. Just the same if a pax makes a connection to UA, NW, DL, etc.. Very few agents know entries in Sabre that allow us to use the edifact system to change seats on other carriers and such. So that is when it gets a little fishy.. not being able to see ontime status for flights or being able to change things around as you should be able to.

I talked to a US East Mainline flight attendant. Her trip that ended on Sat. night was CLT-PHX-CUN-CLT. So, obviously we are routing some east planes in the west system.

As far as senority, most people are sure that hire date will be given... But luckily for the HP flight attendants, I seriously doubt that many people are going to transfer to PHX once it opens up to East.

One of the biggest debates for employees is Nonrev flying. Currently, East flights are boarded based on Senority and HP flights are based on check in time. The HP are very passionate about checkin being fairer.. I personally like senority... HQ won't make a decision on what the final non rev boarding policy.. They keep avoiding it.

The East pilots are getting a little bothered that the company isn't really working with them.. as far as merging the contacts and pilot groups even though the East pilots are starting to work west routes.

As far as PHL, What can you expect. The airport is a joke. In fact, it is only going to get worse since the aiport is going to give WN more gates and move delta to the international concourse. If this happens, our CEO says that we won't be able to add any more international routes next summer. My biggest problem with Philly is the baggage situation for people who start their travel in PHL. We have more bags that don't arrive when people fly PHL-TYS and not so much on connections.

As far as gate agent senority in shared cities, some agents have gotten screwed. In RDU, the most senior HP agent had 4.5 years. IN Jan, the work groups came together. The most junior US agent has 18 years... So instead of integrating the bid so that There would be HP agents shawdowing the US agents, (since they work all of the US flights now, using sabre, with no sabre training) they just did a full out bid based on senority. So of course all of the US employees had week days and mornings.. this left all of the HP agents to deal with the afternoon irregular ops with no sabre or us training by themselves...
As far as agent pay, HP's old scale was a joke. The HP agents will get about a double pay increase in about two years.. little by little... So their top out went from 13 an hour to almost 20.

Any more questions? Let me know.
Alex
TYS

ophila

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 7):
Because PHL produces more revenue for US Airways than any other hub... Charlotte, Phoenix, Las Vegas, any of them...

As a former Manager in PHL & having flown for another carrier in & out of that place! I can tell you that there is nor real commitment to correcting the problems, 1st you have to admitt that there is a problem, 2nd you have to train you employees properly and set expectations, what does us spend on new hire training compaired to the other majors? Then you work with the aiport officials and the faa not just do what the hell you want inspite of the fact..while I was there....3 different Station Directors came & went..several Shift Managers..but not one employee....the good souls that are there are pissed off and the company has no solution to resolve this hence my solution is to spend the money and retrain everyone to the new expectations! then and only then can you hold them accountable....

saab2000

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting Ophila (Reply 52):
then and only then can you hold them accountable....

There's that word "Accountable" again....... That is the Nr. 1 reason why this and many other airlines are suffering. No accountability at any level. Something doesn't get done or get done right? No consequences so no incentive to fix a problem.

PHL has the lowest level of worker pride or worker accountability I have ever seen in my whole life.
smrtrthnu

antoniemey

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting QFSYD744 (Reply 1):
4/ The new branding/colours seems to be less than pleasant and almost childlike. Why such odd colours?

Quoting Jaybird (Reply 6):
not sure what you mean about the new branding .. it's white, red and blue .. that's childlike? course there are the Heritage colors which, for those of us who remember AL, PI and PS (plus LC/MO) fondly - they're really neat! and yes, i wish there was a black/gold mohawk heritage plane too!

checkmark 

Quoting Commavia (Reply 10):

The merged USAirways wanted to retain the basic USAirways branding scheme, but integrated the gray wavy lines of the America West livery. In addition, they retained the America West basic white color scheme versus the USAirways basic blue body coloring because the combined company's fleet is going to spending a lot of time rotating through Phoenix and Las Vegas, two of the newly merger company's largest hubs, both of which are incredibly hot for half the year. Having a dark-blue piece of metal bake in the sun for 55 minutes on a turn would burn a lot of money on air conditioning.

checkmark 

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 12):
US Airways employees designed the new paint scheme, zero cost to the company...childlike would be a matter of one's own opinion.

checkmark 

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 14):
Since Red, White, and Blue are the colors of the United States flag, makes sense for US Airways to use them I'd think....

checkmark 

Basically, in a nutshell, those colors were almost exactly what US Airways was already using, but they redesigned it to look more like the HP livery and be more white overall. Personally, I like it a lot better than the Stephen Wolf Navy over Grey.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

malexander131

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting QFSYD744 (Reply 3):
s Philadelphia O/D rich?

Philadelphia's got huge O&D.
"It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now."

QFSYD744

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting Malexander131 (Reply 55):
Philadelphia's got huge O&D.

Premium cabin O/D?

TATL O/D?
I Still Call Australia Home

eajpecrca

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:43 am

I've lived most of my life here in PHL. I know Philadelphia gets dumped on in so many ways. Maybe we bring it on ourselves. We've got high aspirations that never seem to be realized. We resent living in the shadow of the Big Apple; in spite of the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and all that, we don't have the historic reputation of Boston. We have an area that seems bent on looking backward even though there are many who try to promote forward thinking. Philadelphia's got an image problem, of course. A self-image problem.

Unfortunately that "inadequate" attitude permeates this area. Many workers just don't care. As far as the airport is concerned, I must sadly agree that the baggage problem is abysmal. This summer I went to SFO. We had 4 bags and arrived at PHL in plenty of time. Only 1 bag made it on the original flight! On the return all bags made it on the plane but it was an hour before they arrived on the carousel. This problem has existed for a long time. Maybe all this attention will force US to take the drastic action they need to make the system work. I have traveled through many airports and can say, sadly, that for baggage service PHL is the worst.

supa7E7

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting DILF (Reply 50):
9.59 an hr was "market rate" and was acceptable and couldn't possibly be the problem!
You get what you pay for.

Plus excellent medical and flight benefits. That ain't a Wal-Mart job. It's much better.

US can turn PHL around with sensitive training. Bring them to PHX and re-educate them in small groups for a week. If you do 50 a week, you can cover all the relevant staff in about a year.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

supa7E7

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting Eajpecrca (Reply 57):
Maybe all this attention will force US to take the drastic action they need to make the system work. I have traveled through many airports and can say, sadly, that for baggage service PHL is the worst.

The article didn't say it but according to threads, US is doing "drastic" things already. Starting now, the joint will have all new conveyors, gleaming new tugs, massive TSA capacity increase, vast armies of bag throwers. This is a corporate blank check - a total war if you will.

So it will be fun to watch. With pure determination and tons of cash, US will probably fix PHL baggage to the nation's fastest+best, or else die trying.

QFSYD744

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:59 am

A self-image problem.

Detroit, Oakland, and St. Louis suffer from the same self-image problem.

WesternA318

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 4):
Man, if this news was any older, I would have read about it in the Book of Exodus!!!

LOL< Except Exodus didnt have Doug Parker, lol.

Quoting TUSflyer (Reply 25):
It always amazes me how the "21-25" year old group on A.net get off on these tangents when they may fly twice a year with mom and dad.

LMAO, Isnt it true?

SHUPirate1

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting NoBoeingNoGoin (Reply 51):
Any more questions? Let me know.

Can you help a Preferred member get a job with US? Pretty ridiculous that, for an elite flier who runs his own business, my job applications have as much value to the airline as those predatory credit-card offers.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

steeler83

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 19):
If PHL is as important to US as Parker indicates, he should get out there and personally manage it into shape! Too bad I'm not on the BOD.

That's a pretty good point. PHL has to be the most vital market for US IMO. I know that CLT is their largest domestic hub with 500 daily flights, but US operates over 400 dailies out of PHL, and rising... This also includes the 20-plus flights that hop across the Atlantic Ocean. So to me, that makes PHL supremely vital. I am rather surprised myself why Parker doesn't spend more time at PHL trying to rectify that hell hole.

Quoting Varig767 (Reply 27):
If stated in this way, no one would care! And, yes; 7,6 is indeed 25% higher than 6,1, but both rates are quite normal.

So I take it then there is little variance regarding damaged/lost baggage statistics?

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 61):
Man, if this news was any older, I would have read about it in the Book of Exodus!!!

LOL< Except Exodus didnt have Doug Parker, lol.

"I am the CEO, your leader, who brought your airline out of bankrupcy, you shall remain loyal to this airline and not turn your back on it.

"You shall not bid false witness regarding the airline

"Honor your coworkers

"You shall not embezzle funds..."

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE... my interpretation of "the US Airways Ten Commandments"

The most important commandment... Here it is... DOOO SOMETHING WITH PHILADELPHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

JetBlueAUS
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 63):
The most important commandment... Here it is... DOOO SOMETHING WITH PHILADELPHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, its not that important since PHL has just gotten worse over time.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

aerialportvet

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:43 am

My late dad who was a mohawk thru us airways line mechanic at alb is probibly turning over in his grave . he was a hard core company man

CentPIT

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 40):
Finally, I would think that since many passengers are only connecting through PHL and not going to or originating in PHL they would be wise to have many of those connections go through PIT. It is a vastly more pleasant airport to connect through and way underutilised. It is a like a ghost town at certain times during

Even though I agree, it won't happen!
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

vega

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:40 am

I've lived most of my life here in PHL. I know Philadelphia gets dumped on in so many ways. Maybe we bring it on ourselves. We've got high aspirations that never seem to be realized. We resent living in the shadow of the Big Apple; in spite of the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and all that, we don't have the historic reputation of Boston. We have an area that seems bent on looking backward even though there are many who try to promote forward thinking. Philadelphia's got an image problem, of course. A self-image problem.

You are expressing a personal opinion, which I do not agree with. I don't think anyone here is "dumping" on the city - they are "dumping" on the airport and/or US Airways. An opinion of any city is frequently dependent on where you live in that city and what you do for a living. While it's true that Philadelphia lies in the shadow of NYC, the same could be said of any american city - NYC is the Standard by which all american cities are judged. I know of no one who feels Boston is more historic than Philadelphia - it just advertises itself better in that respect. The real difference between Philadelphia and Boston is the ability of Boston to have PRd itself into a city which successfully draws the youth of Europe and the U.S. (to a lesser degree) as tourists - Even though Philadelphia is one of the largest and most successful entertainment cities on the U.S. pop music concert circuit. I mean how many U.S. cities can successfully host 1M+ attendees at outdoor concerts? Further, lest we not forget that Philadelphia made it to the final cut for the 2016 Summer Olympics. As far as "high aspirations that never seem to be realized" - what are they? Are you aware of the construction projects currently in progress - see here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=107638
Further, the city has some of the best schools, medical facilities, museums and sports complex in the World and is frequently judged as the most attractive major city in America. I will agree that many are frustrated with the high wage and business tax rates - a factor which has plagued center city growth in the past, but which appears to be less of a factor now as more top end condo housing and entertainment venues become available. Every big city has it's problems and Philadelphia is not immune from them. East Coast cities are doubly constrained by their unique (I'm being kind) political machines and strong Unions. It is misleading to confuse the situation with US Airways and the airport (PHL) with the city itself. Philadelphia has always operated on the basis of it's Quaker roots - conservative and forever debating before acting. But when they do build, it usually is something first rate and state-of-the-art.

And all this from someone who only lived in Philadelphia for 6 years, but visits and transits (international) often.

Quoting QFSYD744 (Reply 60):
Detroit, Oakland, and St. Louis suffer from the same self-image problem

Comparing Philadelphia with those 3 cities is like comparing an apple with a prune.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

DILF

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 58):
Plus excellent medical and flight benefits. That ain't a Wal-Mart job. It's much better

No - sorry, those two things dont help pay the rent or feed their families. 9.59 an hour is terrible for the amount of hard work it is slinging heavy bags on a hot or freezing or wet ramp. And what kind of a perk are flight benefits, anyway? Space-A is a pain because of all the full flights - and if you're only making 9.59 an hour, you can't afford too much travel - trust me -- been there !

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 62):
Can you help a Preferred member get a job with US? Pretty ridiculous that, for an elite flier who runs his own business, my job applications have as much value to the airline as those predatory credit-card offers.

You feel that Preferred status should be a guarantee of some sort in regards to employment? Besides what's an "elite flier" who owns his own business need a job with US for?

eajpecrca

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 67):
And all this from someone who only lived in Philadelphia for 6 years, but visits and transits (international) often.

Vega, thanks for your thoughtful and reasoned comments. You've put your finger on many of the wonderful things that Philadelphia has to offer. And I agee.
Thanks for commenting on the Quaker roots. There was a book I recall reading many years ago, I think, "Quaker Philadelphia and Protestant (?) Boston," which used the thread of Benjamin Franklin's life (born in Boston but moved to Philadelphia) as a way of comparing the 'stodgy' Philadelphia to the 'dynamic' Boston.

What I'm concerned about is the attitude of my fellow Philadelphians. It's probably a generalization to make this comment, but I'll do so anyway. I've had an opportunity to do a lot of travel this past summer (CA, LA, SC, NYC--several trips to each for extended periods) and I have been impressed with how pleasant and cordial folks are everywhere I went, even NYC. Upon departure from and return to PHL I encountered the typical 'attitoode' (which with I am quite familiar) at the airport and at the train station: brusque, unhelpful, no courtesies extended, indifferent, "thank you" and "please" rarely expressed.

Don't get me wrong. I love this place and want the best for it, but I get down at times. Philadelphia is a major city and deserves the respect major cities should get.

QFSYD744

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 67):
Comparing Philadelphia with those 3 cities is like comparing an apple with a prune.

Please enlighten the forum as to why..

steeler83

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 64):
Apparently, its not that important since PHL has just gotten worse over time.

Good point, but if it wasn't important, then why is international service growing like a weed?

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 66):
Even though I agree, it won't happen!

Yeah, PIT is still a money hole for US as well as any carrier pretty much  sarcastic 

Quoting Eajpecrca (Reply 69):
Philadelphia is a major city and deserves the respect major cities should get.

I thought that Phili did get a lot of the respect that other large cities should get. Does anyone know of what kind of job Mayor John "The Skunk" Street is doing, besides a poor one? My girlfriend, a resident of Chester County, does not approve of what he is doing for the city, or not doing for it.

The city is very beautiful. I love seeing those colossal glass highrise buildings there piercing the Philadelphia sky. It truely deserves to have a state-of-the-art airport for US Airways, like the one it had with PIT when US had their fortress hub there. Now PHL is the big one for US. I know that the City of Philadelphia has nothing to do with PHL, but still... If PHL isn't all that important to US, then why are they building up the international hub there, as well as the domestic hub, instead of moving some of the service back to PIT, or building up CLT???
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

SHUPirate1

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:36 am

I'll answer those in order...

Quoting DILF (Reply 68):
You feel that Preferred status should be a guarantee of some sort in regards to employment?

I do feel that Preferred status should, at the very least, be enough to warrant an interview as long as there is a position open, or multiple positions open, as is the case right now, especially in light of the fact that I meet and exceed all other criteria.

Quoting DILF (Reply 68):
Besides what's an "elite flier" who owns his own business need a job with US for?

Because I'm sick of his business and wants to scrap it? (due to the business' service nature and the fact that I myself am its only valuable asset, combined with the fact that my competence in the field is entirely unmatched, it cannot be sold)

saab2000

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:49 am

Another point for PIT is that it is not in the corridor from hell up the east coast.

One of the biggest problems we run into in PHL is the worker mentality. I have never seen anything like it. We pull up to the gate and 9 out of 10 times we have to wait for the marshaller to wave us the rest of the way in to the gate. And when they do show up many times they are walking deliberately slow and being a major PITA for reasons I don't understand.

Believe me, I know there are people who care. There are people in PHL who try and work hard and don't want to be like the rest. I have seen some gate agents who, upon first glance, I would never give a second thought to. But guess what? They work their butts off and have helped out and are cheerful and really try. Same with some rampers. But they are the exception, not the rule.

I am talking about the F-Terminal 'cuz that's where we fly to. I want to like PHL and I know there are some problems that are not their problem (ATC) but I have heard that SWA brings in rampers from other places and works them for a week and then sends them home for a week. I can see why.

I jumpseated on UPS out of PHL once. They do it right! Why can't US Airways?

Accountability and leadership.

BTW, the ground controllers at PHL are very bad. Even worse than IAD. But the air controllers and Potomac approach are way better than PHL.

PHL, and US Airways at PHL, has some problems, but they could both solve them if they would just listen to me!!! Big grin
smrtrthnu

pdxtriple7

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:38 am

So today they lost my bag on PHL to RDU. Looks like what those said about PHL baggage was completely right. I will make sure not to fly US again as I've flown them the past two weekends and had bad experiences.

N670UW

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 71):
Yeah, PIT is still a money hole for US as well as any carrier pretty much

Not really. Parker said US is making a small profit in PIT at the current service levels. Other carriers have added a little service, as well. It was probably a 'money hole' five or so years ago at its size (and debt level) for US, not so much now.

[Edited 2006-10-10 04:42:07]

HPAEAA

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:47 am

Anyone know who the manager at PHL is?
1.4mm and counting...

kevin752

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:09 pm

good article. I must say my experiance with HP on the ground at LAX ( my home airport has been negative) the ground staff are rude or dont know what they are doing. SOme of their agents come to work looking very sloppy and very unprofessional. I work for Midwest AIrlines at LAX and I come to work looking my best. I have had the worst experiance with HP/US in LAS to the point where i do not want to fly HP from LAS to LAX because their gate agents tend to yell and be very rude to pax who ask simple questions. Their fa;s out of LAS look awful and very unprofessional. I do like America West but they need to get their act together for their ground staff. In LAS it took me nearly 1 hr to get 1 bag , I was a selectee pax eventhough i was non reving and have a valid airline badge and LAX SIDA bage. I am allowed to walk around the ramp but the US airways agents dont care to not make me a selectee. I do that for our employees its just the customer service that lacks at AWA/US. But it does not stop me from flying them. I flew UAL from LAS to LAX and it was quite pleasant the agents and crew seemed nice on the flight so UA may have my busines a bit more on the short routes.
"Keep Climbing"

ERJ170

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 74):
I will make sure not to fly US again as I've flown them the past two weekends and had bad experiences.

PDXTriple7..

I'm telling you. It's not US as a whole. It's PHL. CLT is such a breeze to past through and there are rarely any horrific problems at CLT. It's just the hole which is PHL. IN my opinion, it's just utterly horrible and should be completely redone.

I wouldn't give up on US Airways.. it's okay. Philadelphia International Airport is the main problem. Too many issues to count.
Aiming High and going far..

PHLBOS

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 76):
Anyone know who the manager at PHL is?

Charles Isdell, Director of Aviation

This Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirier article on US Airways-PHL baggage issues (which BTW blames US more than PHL):
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/15708209.htm

Some quotables from the article:

Lost bags aside, the airline is often painfully slow delivering bags to the carousels. "The fact is the other carriers don't take as many minutes to get bags from the plane," said Charles J. Isdell, the city's airport director.

Outbound luggage circles pointlessly on US Airways' underground conveyor system while planes lift off half-loaded. Why? The system's optical scanner can't read a third of all destination tags.

Shorthanded crews fall behind when unloading suitcases. Sometimes, it's because some US Airways baggage handlers just "rolled" another flight, their term for ducking out on the job.
Workers at rival Southwest Airlines say they see this sour attitude when they spot US Airways luggage that has tumbled out of carts. When the Southwest employees try to hand over the luggage to their competitor, they say, some US Airways workers simply won't take it.

"We get that a lot: 'I don't want it,' " said one Southwest worker, supervisor Michael Amstberg.

"We were woefully underequipped with tugs and carts, and just the basic things you needed to run a ramp operation," he said.

Since then, he has ordered more than 120 new pieces of equipment, 90 of which are in use.

Baggage handlers and managers say it has been routine for one crew to arrive at a gate to handle an arriving flight, find carts and tugs missing, and scavenge by stealing tugs and carts from another gate.

Another tactic: Between flights, employees who worked on a crew together would take turns sitting behind the wheel of a tug to make sure a rival group didn't swipe it.

"Some managers just won't discipline," ramp worker Andre Robinson said. "It's just like, 'Whatever.' They blow it off."

In the past, another worker said, some bosses seemed to shrink from their job.

"They're looking to be invisible and survive," the worker said. "They go in their offices and lock the door and won't answer the phone."
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

SHUPirate1

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 72):
I do feel that Preferred status should, at the very least, be enough to warrant an interview as long as there is a position open, or multiple positions open, as is the case right now, especially in light of the fact that I meet and exceed all other criteria.

Just an addition, as it's too late to edit that post via this website. A Preferred passenger has seen what happens on the other side of the desk, the one where all of the passengers congregate. He understands the needs and concerns of passengers, and understands that weather will often delay flights, unless he's an elite passenger on Aloha or Hawaiian. And further, he expects that, while that plane is going to be delayed regardless, he will be cared for reasonably by the airline, be it rebooking if the flight delay causes a misconnect or there is a cancellation, and a hotel if that cancellation is due to reasons under the control of the airline. Sure, Preferred status should not be a guarantee for employment. However, Preferred status should be something that should tip the scales HEAVILY in my favor, at least until they have the opportunity to meet me in person in an interview. In other words, unless somebody EXTREMELY OVERWHELMINGLY qualified, such as Bill Gates, applies for the same position I am applying for with that particular airline, yes, I should, on the Preferred status criteria alone, be granted an interview.

steeler83

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 78):
IN my opinion, it's just utterly horrible and should be completely redone.

I won't argue that one!

They are, however, discussing lengthening one of the runways, I think it's 17/35 being extended. This will relieve some of the headaches in the short term, but what about long term plans?

They will have to do something to better suit the city of Philadelphia as far as air travel is concerned. I have seen proposals for future air terminals at the PHL location; this should have been done years ago. It is already a mess; you plan for things before they turn into messes some 20 years later... The things that present themselves as challenges: NIMBYs (which I hate), the landscape/geography regarding I-95 and the Delaware River...

Whatever does end up happening to PHL will be a good thing for the region, US, WN, and all airlines serving or interested in serving PHL in the future. Sure, it may drive up the cost to op out of PHL, but PHL is still an O&D goldmine unlike PIT. I think that US' moster hub and transatlantic gateway out of PHL will remain supremely profitable even after a new terminal is built.

My opinion of a new terminal: I think there should be 3 terminals...

1. US - mainline and express, should be located together in the same terminal, as well as with the international gates, primarily for the Star carriers that fly to PHL (LH, AC, any asian carriers interested in PHL).

2. The other legacies can take another terminal, as well as other international airlines serving PHL, or interested in PHL (BA, AF, EI, MX, etc...)

The third terminal could be occupied by the LCCs, with WN taking up the bulk of that terminal providing their large-and-growing station there...

All just a thought... A mere pipe dream more or less...

supa7E7

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 80):
However, Preferred status should be something that should tip the scales HEAVILY in my favor, at least until they have the opportunity to meet me in person in an interview. In other words, unless somebody EXTREMELY OVERWHELMINGLY qualified, such as Bill Gates, applies for the same position I am applying for with that particular airline, yes, I should, on the Preferred status criteria alone, be granted an interview.

What kind of job are you looking for?

Here in Uzbekistan we wait 12 years for interview.

SHUPirate1

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 82):

Customer Service Rep (and/or any other non-ramp position)...

And somehow, I have a feeling that if you pay a lot in taxes to the Uzbekistani government, you'd get moved up the pecking order (closest equivalent I can think of to this scenario).

DILF

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 80):
Sure, Preferred status should not be a guarantee for employment. However, Preferred status should be something that should tip the scales HEAVILY in my favor, at least until they have the opportunity to meet me in person in an interview. In other words, unless somebody EXTREMELY OVERWHELMINGLY qualified, such as Bill Gates, applies for the same position I am applying for with that particular airline, yes, I should, on the Preferred status criteria alone, be granted an interview.

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 83):

Customer Service Rep (and/or any other non-ramp position)...

WOW ShuPirate --- u must be totally desperate for a job - - or a masochist.
Or nuts.

steeler83

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:40 am

And just when I thought my job search wasn't going so great... sheesh!!!!  crazy 

SHUPirate1

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting DILF (Reply 84):
WOW ShuPirate --- u must be totally desperate for a job - - or a masochist.
Or nuts.

DILF-I think the last one has been proven a good MANY times over, and I've been called masochistic quite often as well. As for desperate for a job, it goes a fair amount deeper than that.

usairways85

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:55 pm

Steeler83:

while that is a nice idea, it would take decades for that to be completed and the construction would probably cause headaches ten times worse than what PHL causes now.

They are saying that the new runway configuration will take up to 20 years to complete, just imagine having to rebuild most of the airport terminals as well.

SkyvanMan

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 pm

I'm gonna be chanign my reservation back to BDL for Sunday to avoid PHL, gonna go through ORD on United hopefully.
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

YYZYHZ

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 am

Well this article is a little nervewrecking as I'm flying MAN-PHL-YYZ on January 3rd, 2007. Hopefully US Airways will pull themselves together a bit better by then, and if not...then wish my bags luck!
Travelled on Dash 8-300, A319, A320, A321, A330, B737, B747, B757, B767, E75

PHLBOS

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 81):
They are, however, discussing lengthening one of the runways, I think it's 17/35 being extended. This will relieve some of the headaches in the short term, but what about long term plans?

The infomation you're asking about is covered in the below-thread:

https://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/3021131/

CEP-EIS meetings will be taking place within the next 2 weeks. IMHO, the Oct. 18 meeting in Essington (Tinicum) and the Oct. 25 meeting in Eastwick (Philadelphia) will probably be the livelier of the 4 meetings in terms of an audience.

BTW, for those that haven't driven to/from PHL in a while; Route 291 has been officially relocated onto Bartram Ave. between Scott Way & Island Ave.(to make way for the first phase of the Runway 17-35 extension project) earlier this month.

[Edited 2006-10-11 19:25:29]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

steeler83

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Usairways85 (Reply 87):
Steeler83:

while that is a nice idea, it would take decades for that to be completed and the construction would probably cause headaches ten times worse than what PHL causes now.

They are saying that the new runway configuration will take up to 20 years to complete, just imagine having to rebuild most of the airport terminals as well.

I''m glad you like my idea and think it's nice, but I do know that it will never happen and that it was nothing more than a pipe dream... My idea also calls for a relocation of I-95 to parallel to the Delaware River... Will THAT happen???

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 90):

THanks a lot for those updates!!  Smile

ca2ohHP

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting YYZYHZ (Reply 89):

What a lot of people fail to mention is there is a new baggage sortation system that US has invested a huge amount of money in to improve Philadelphia's mishandling rate. In fact, the system is able to acheive about 96% accuracy. I'm pretty sure that it will completely be on line for your trip.

As a side not, how come we never hear about Southwest's difficulties in PHL? Granted there are personnel issues, but that's only a piece of the PHL problem. Frankly, all you people can sit from the comfort of your computer chair at home and talk about your armchair CEO ideas...but I would hear out what the folks have been saying that have actually worked in PHL and have actually worked to make that place successful.

The press in PHL will never let US win, just like the press in PIT.

silentbob

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 81):

1. US - mainline and express, should be located together in the same terminal, as well as with the international gates, primarily for the Star carriers that fly to PHL (LH, AC, any asian carriers interested in PHL).

It's a good thought, people miss connections and get stranded in Philly every day because of the bus ride.

steeler83

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 93):
It's a good thought, people miss connections and get stranded in Philly every day because of the bus ride.

Thanks, that is one of the reasons for my thought. That and how about the other Star Alliance airlines serving PHL. US operates over 400 flights a day and counting. So people flying in on AC, LH, and any other Star Alliance carrier that may be interested in PHL service... Suppose someone wants to fly from Rochester to London on US... Or PIT to LGW with a connection in PHL using Republic on the PIT-PHL leg... If they'd be traveling to FRA, they could choose between US and LH.

Also, a modification of my LCC pipedream terminal at PHL... There would be a few international gates, one for U5 for USA3k flights to the Caribbean, and any other LCC that wishes to do international routes out of PHL... Possibly WN may snag one if they go international...

QFSYD744

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 pm

From all of the negative comments in this thread it would seem as if Philadelphia is loathed and detested by most. In addition it would seems as if the US/HP merger is anything but merry!

wink 

Squid

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Ways to help USAir's PHL operation.

(1) this is a good start.

Quoting Ophila (Reply 52):
As a former Manager in PHL & having flown for another carrier in & out of that place! I can tell you that there is nor real commitment to correcting the problems, 1st you have to admitt that there is a problem, 2nd you have to train you employees properly and set expectations, what does us spend on new hire training compaired to the other majors? Then you work with the aiport officials and the faa not just do what the hell you want inspite of the fact..while I was there....3 different Station Directors came & went..several Shift Managers..but not one employee....the good souls that are there are pissed off and the company has no solution to resolve this hence my solution is to spend the money and retrain everyone to the new expectations! then and only then can you hold them accountable....

(2) USAir need to buy and maintain the necessary tools and equipment to get the job done without having to take equipment away from other crews.

(3) Remove the TV's and radio's from the break-rooms. They are there to work, not slouch.

(4) Require all ramp employee's to wear a radio becon badge that a computer and manager can track and if the employee is not where they are assigned to be or they leave the ramp, a manager will know about it immediately.

(5) Remove the "punch stlye" timeclock, and replace it with finger-print identification that in-turn activates the radio becon badge. This way workers cannot time in a fellow co-worker who decided to stay home.l

(6) Require all the ramp employee's to sign a contract that states if they quit or are fired within 6 months, they will be required to repay USAir's training cost completely.

The kind of pay-scale and benifits are in-line with the market rate, but many of these people would not be motivated to do the job well unless paid over $20/hour, and even then it is questionable. In my opinion, it will be important that USAir get's the workers moving through itimidation as well as positive motivation and a strong team-work ethic.

SHUPirate1

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting Squid (Reply 98):
(6) Require all the ramp employee's to sign a contract that states if they quit or are fired within 6 months, they will be required to repay USAir's training cost completely.

Honestly, I'm not sure they could do that, after all, number one, I'm not sure that you could say to an employee "hey, you're fired, and you owe us $1,000" with them probably having no way of paying US back, and further, if an employee quits, what recourse would US have, a collection agency? All I could really see US Airways doing and getting away with is if, say, the wages earned from training were to be held in escrow for six months, as well as payroll deductions accounting for their entire paycheck to be held in escrow for the rest of the expenses, and all of that being given back to the employee after said six month period. There are many ways of doing what you suggest, but I honestly can't see that contract being all that possible, particularly in the case of an employee being fired. After all, what would his motivation to pay training costs back be?

HPLASOps

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:51 pm

(5) Remove the "punch stlye" timeclock, and replace it with finger-print identification that in-turn activates the radio becon badge. This way workers cannot time in a fellow co-worker who decided to stay home.l

Fingerprint machines would be terribly expensive but I do agree with this message. Currently in LAS, our employees have an electronic time clock triggered by a combination of swiping the employee badge and entering a pin code (usually the last 4 digits of one's SS#). That seems to do a good job of detering the fake clock ins. And far cheaper than any fingerprint machines.

(4) Require all ramp employee's to wear a radio becon badge that a computer and manager can track and if the employee is not where they are assigned to be or they leave the ramp, a manager will know about it immediately.

Also a very costly operation - could be better handled by hiring more supervisors so that the # of employees each supervisor is responsible for keeping an eye on is less.

(3) Remove the TV's and radio's from the break-rooms. They are there to work, not slouch.

I second this idea - institute a rewards program, basically - get the bag numbers down to x level, and you can get the tv's back.

(2) USAir need to buy and maintain the necessary tools and equipment to get the job done without having to take equipment away from other crews.

The article mentioned that Tony Grantham put in an order for over 100 new tugs & beltloaders, and most of those have already been delievered - so we got that part started already.

Or, a better way would be to delay the flight benefits until 6 months post hiring (possibly 12 months if the unions go with it) to ensure that those who are serious about working for the airline get to fly free.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

mah584jr

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:36 am

US needs to realize that they are in a competitive market in PHL. This city is getting tired of the poor performance of US. People are less likely to use US, which means they are less likely to do business in our city. If US isn't going to fix the problem, then the city needs to fix it for them by getting rid of US at PHL. I'd gladly support another airline at PHL at this point. One that handles its employees with great respect and competitive wages.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos