Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Luton To New York (EWR) - Here We Come!

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:52 am

The business/first class airline SilverJet have finally confirmed the launch date of their new services from Luton Airport.

Their first route is due to launch on the 25th January and will be flying between LTN-EWR on a daily basis with a 767-200, they have purchased two of these from the charter airline ThomsonFly (formerly Brtiannia Airways).

Both these 767's are due to under go major refurbishment.

The airline also unexpectedly purchased the holiday charter airline FlyJet, giving them access to one further 767 and to 757-200's. Im unsure of what SilverJet's plans are for the holiday charter airline...

Future routes which are being speculated with the other available aircrafts are:
- Increase to twice daily routes to New York.
- LAX
- DXB
- ORD

The new website looks very smart, in a modern but classic style. But for some reason only accepting UK booking at present.

Promotional prices are being offered for £799 (GBP), not sure how this fairs with the other "premium carriers".

Website - http://www.flysilverjet.com/Website/Home.aspx

STT757

RE: Luton To New York (EWR) - Here We Come!

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:59 am

I like the hotels they recommend for NY, they have the SOHO Grand Hotel as one of their options. I hope they add it's sister hotel the Tri-Beca Grand Hotel across Canal Street, my fiancee and I got a suite there once for Valentine's Weekend and it was unbelievable.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

B742

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:03 am

I will be keeping a close eye on SilverJet, I hope the market can manage a third premium only airline between NYC and LON.

The website makes the airline look very promising, I wish them the best.

The schedules are as follows:
LTN-EWR
Depart: 10:00
Arrive: 13:00
Days: Daily

EWR-LTN
Depart: 19:30
Arrive: 07:20
Days: Daily

They will fly to EWR's Terminal B daily using a single class 767-200ER

I personally would much rather fly from LHR, LGW, STN and LCY rather than LTN  Smile

Do you think we will eventualy see a BBJ/AJC service from LCY to NYC in the near future on a daily basis?

Rob!  wave 

NewSky

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:04 am

Oh no, not another LON-NYC airline!

B742

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting NewSky (Reply 3):
Oh no, not another LON-NYC airline!

That makes 10 different airlines on the route:

CO - LGW-EWR
DL - LGW-JFK (Soon to begin)
VS - LHR-EWR/JFK
BA - LHR-EWR/JFK
KU - LHR-JFK
AI - LHR-JFK
AA - LHR-JFK
UA - LHR-JFK (Soon to End)
MY - STN-JFK
E0 - STN-JFK
SilverJet - LTN-EWR

Rob!  wave 

sam1987

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 4):
That makes 10 different airlines on the route

Bizarre that a new airline can make profit with an already well served route. Won't the market be saturated before long?

Is the London to New York route the busiest in the world or are there others busier?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

cwldude

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:20 am

I wonder how they're going to compete against MY and E0?? Does anyone know what two aircraft they're getting off TOM yet? I think it's yet another exciting airline starting up, but then again, it's a case of seen it all before!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

easyjetset

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 am

Re Flyjet - They are continuing to operate it as a charter operator at least into S07 under the exisiting MD.

FJE has made a loss for the last two years due to terrible ontime records and under-used aircraft.

The S07 season is looking much better with both B757 heavily contracted already - however im not sure that they will be at all punctual - 24 hour delays have not been uncommon this season despite long down time periods
Time to move on from the easyjetset life....

fly707

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Thread starter):
Their first route is due to launch on the 25th January and will be flying between LTN-EWR on a daily basis with a 767-200, they have purchased two of these from the charter airline ThomsonFly (formerly Brtiannia Airways).

What about Luton runway length I remember it's a two KM runway only that's too short for a 767-200 to T/O with max T/O weight !! I was informed that a new runway will be built is that true ?

Regards
Without mistakes we will never learn

COERJ145

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Fly707 (Reply 8):

What about Luton runway length I remember it's a two KM runway only that's too short for a 767-200 to T/O with max T/O weight !! I was informed that a new runway will be built is that true ?

The silverjet 762s will be configured with 100 seats, so that will take off some weight, thus shortening runway usage on t/o.

MaverickM11

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:48 am

I was just thinking that there weren't enough cut rate all business class operators hemoraging money across the Atlantic  rotfl 
I don't take responsibility at all

planesarecool

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Fly707 (Reply 8):

LTN regularly has B767-200 and sometimes B767-300 services. The B767's which currently serve it are usually packed with tourists and luggage. There will be half the amount of seats onboard the Silverjet flights, and probably a lot less baggage.

LeonB1985

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:16 am

Any idea if they're using Signature or Harrods at LTN? Wonder if this 'bypassing the main terminal' concept will win them passengers from Maxjet and/or Eos at all.
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

jetblueatjfk

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:30 am

Like there isn't enough airlines already on that route. Comon, come up with something new. Besides LON-NYC and then adding a second big US city. Get some cities like DXB (above) and start them first or with the new one and some other cities, not just 2 US cities and then maybe one other.

Creativity is lacking these days....

B6jfk airplane 

worldtraveler

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:49 am

This is exactly what can be expected to happen when Bermuda 2 limits access to LHR and LGW while other airports in the area are open to expansion to the US.

London and New York are huge population centers so any combination of airports between the two cities should work. My only question is whether a new route such as LTN to EWR should be a business only type service or whether it would be better suited to be a full service route. A 757 with 170 seats should be more than capable of taking off from LTN's runway

tymnbalewne

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:09 pm

I heard that FG was going to start this route.  

[Edited 2006-10-13 05:11:57]
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

speedbird203

Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:53 pm

Looking good, I live right by Luton Airport, Will be an interesting route... Luton to New York.. Sounds somethings a private business man would do lol, But good luck to the airline on that flight! It should actually do good on sales. Can't wait, be cool to see a different carrier leave LTN.
Metro Tower 135.0

sevenforeseven

Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Good luck, enjoy for 2 months then its all over.

notdownnlocked

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 pm

Luton To New York (EWR) - Here We Come!

When you say Luton To New York (EWR) - Here We Come! Does this mean you are an employee of this new airline or are you stating emphatically that this is somewhat of another British invasion into the US or happy that there will be a LTN-NYC flight? Only curious.

speedbird203

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Reply 18):
When you say Luton To New York (EWR) - Here We Come! Does this mean you are an employee of this new airline or are you stating emphatically that this is somewhat of another British invasion into the US or happy that there will be a LTN-NYC flight? Only curious.

British Invasion lol, What about the Amercan Invasion.. Its probably an American that owns the new airline anyway so  shhh  lol
Metro Tower 135.0

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Reply 18):

No I don't work for SilverJet!

LTN is my local airport and always keen to see new routes, and a route to somewhere like New York has to be "the jewel in the crown" for any airport in the UK. Which makes it very exciting news.

As many other people on here I am a little scepticle on how long the route will last and if there is enough of a market for the new route.

Ideally I would like to see a "mainline" carrier fly from LTN to New York, like CO do from a number of UK regional airport. I think the route would probably only sustain a 752, maybe CO could reduce capacity out of LGW and then operate route to LTN to cover the North London, Home Counties and South Midlands market. (Realistically though I think STN would win the route over LTN, but can remain a nice dream!)

As much as I am a fan on LTN. The airport has more than its fair share of problems at present, the main problems being the current facilities and congestion into the airport. Many reviews on here and other websites have given less than favorable reviews of the airport in recent months.

A 767-200 flying LTN-EWR is no problem using the current runway, the airport sees regularly visits from 767-200/300's and A300's flown by Monarch and ThomsonFly. There have been a number of non-stop cruise charters accross the Atlantic to BGI, MIA and New Orleans, in recent years flying 767's. Also MyTravel and Monarch flew to MCO or SFB non-stop up until 2002 using DC-10's and A330-200's.

QFSYD744

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 6):
I wonder how they're going to compete against MY and E0??

Head On, also note the crews of SilverJet are British vs EO/MY American crews.

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 12):
Wonder if this 'bypassing the main terminal' concept will win them passengers from Maxjet and/or Eos at all.

This is a key selling point of SilverJet if this is true. Why would people want to check-in with the throngs of RyanAir crowds when they can have a more discreet and serene ambience at Luton?

Future routes which are being speculated with the other available aircrafts are:
- Increase to twice daily routes to New York.
- LAX
- DXB
- ORD

Funny you should mention that. The above list is a carbon copy of EOS Airlines business plan when EOS Airlines started service. It is my opinion that SilverJet, if effective will be the nail in the coffin for EOS Airlines. Recently EOS Airlines was fined/written up by the FAA, EOS Airlines has amounting losses, EOS Airlines has a wealth of employee termoil, among other things. EOS Airlines wants Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and Zurich - Problem is that EOS product without frequency will fail in deep misery.

MaxJet will be able to hold out against SilverJet, as MaxJet has additional routes to sustain themselves as well. MaxJet has something that EOS Airilnes does not have. MaxJet has load factors. MaxJet is getting the cost they need the premium they need to keep their business model afloat. On the other hand EOS Airlines needs premiums in excess of $5400.00 per seat to keep their model afloat, and at current EOS Airlines is only getting an average of $3100.00.
I Still Call Australia Home

Tristarsteve

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting B742 (Reply 2):
Do you think we will eventualy see a BBJ/AJC service from LCY to NYC in the near future on a daily basis

These aircraft cannot operate from LCY runway. The modified A318 has been demonstrated but not approved yet, and nothing bigger will get out of there.

QFSYD744

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:41 pm

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 22):
These aircraft cannot operate from LCY runway. The modified A318 has been demonstrated but not approved yet, and nothing bigger will get out of there

Funny that you should say that EuroFly, when they originally filed to from from Milan to New York wanted: LIN-LGA

Tristarsteve

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting QFSYD744 (Reply 23):
Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 22):
These aircraft cannot operate from LCY runway. The modified A318 has been demonstrated but not approved yet, and nothing bigger will get out of there

Funny that you should say that EuroFly, when they originally filed to from from Milan to New York wanted: LIN-LGA

Whats Eurofly got to do with it?

LGA777

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:49 pm

Not to bash SilverJet before they even get off the ground but that is one of the most boring color schemes I have seen in a long time, I mean come on, a plain white tail ? Especially since Eos and Maxjet both have really classy and colorful schemes, just my two cents.

Cheers

LGA777

jetset7e7

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 6):
Does anyone know what two aircraft they're getting off TOM yet?

Its Boeing 767-204's G-BRIF and G-BRIG

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

QFSYD744

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 24):
Whats Eurofly got to do with it?

Showing what airlines want and what airlines get are two very different things.

EZYAirbus

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 26):
Its Boeing 767-204's G-BRIF and G-BRIG

Livery should be unveiled shortly, G-BRIF or G-BRIG is at Luton at the mo in the TOM hanger

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

QFSYD744

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting LGA777 (Reply 25):
Not to bash SilverJet before they even get off the ground but that is one of the most boring color schemes I have seen in a long time, I mean come on, a plain white tail ?

Airline colours having nothing to do with service, safety, or load factors..

iadguy73

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:53 am

From their website...Talking about convenient services:

Breakfast Express. Don't worry if you sleep through breakfast as we'll offer you a quick bite just before we land, or pack you a Breakfast Express to carry off the plane.

I don't know about the UK but here in the US that will immediately flag you for secondary inspection by CBP Agriculture. Just a thought...  biggrin 

Baron52ta

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:09 am

Did I miss something, or is Newark still in New Jersey? all the references on this article say New York which last time I was there was the next state over.  confused 

QFSYD744

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Baron52ta (Reply 31):
Did I miss something, or is Newark still in New Jersey? all the references on this article say New York which last time I was there was the next state over.

Many airlines that fly to Newark refer to their service as New York City. The airport in Newark is commonly referred to as New York/Newark.

captaink

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting Baron52ta (Reply 31):
Did I miss something, or is Newark still in New Jersey? all the references on this article say New York which last time I was there was the next state over.

And, this topic has been discussed over and over. EWR is considered a New York City airport, it is geografically closer to parts of NYC, than other New York airports (LGA &/or JFK). It is an airport of the NY/NJ Port Authority.

Conclusion: EWR can be called a New York airport, and airlines flying to said airport can market the destination as New York.
Look Up

ThePRGuy

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 5):

Bizarre that a new airline can make profit with an already well served route.

Well we don't know if they will yet.
I haven't seen any financial info from Max or Eos so who knows how its going.
Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

flyabunch

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:09 am

I was not familiar with Luton so I checked Google earth and zoomed in on the airport. I do not see any jet bridges. Is that correct? If so, the premium service is not going to start or end in a very premium way.

Mike

Humberside

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting SpeedBird203 (Reply 19):
British Invasion lol, What about the Amercan Invasion.. Its probably an American that owns the new airline anyway so

Silverjet are floated the Alternative Investment Market (owned by the London Stock Exchange) I think
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos