Beaucaire
Topic Author

Axis, Another Airline In France Dissappears...

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:18 pm

Following reports in the financial press,the Charte-airline Axis Aiways is bancrupt.The Marseille based airline has a fleet of 4 Boeing 737 and one 757.
Continued missmanagement throughout the last three years have participated in the downfall of the airline.
France is becomming slowly but surely a one-airline nation....

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/159/reseaupax686ab6.jpg

[Edited 2006-10-13 12:34:49]
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

cy319

RE: Axis, Another Airline In France Dissappears...

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:07 pm

what a pity!
i cant understand why almost all French airlines go bust so quickly: e.g. Air Toulouse,Euralair,Axis. Thank god that Corsair and Star are still alive.
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

Magyarorszag

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Thread starter):
Continued missmanagement throughout the last three years have participated in the downfall of the airline.

One can wonder if it's a good decision to serve RUN with a B757, which has to do a stop enroute at JIB, when AF, SS & UU serve this destination NONSTOP with B747 & 777.  pessimist 

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting CY319 (Reply 1):
Thank god that Corsair and Star are still alive.

And Aigle Azur - a good niche carrier that's been in business for over 40 years.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:59 pm

Aigle Azur and Air Mediterranné remain the only two truly independant airlines of significant size.I do wish them well !!!!
CCM is a Air France clone dealing exclusively with the protected Corsica business.
Airlinair is a small niche-carrier serving domestic regional links using ATR42 and ATR72.
Star has just four aircraft but sems (still) working well.
Blue Line has four aircraft dealing with Ad-Hoc Charter ...
That's about it what is left over in France....

sn26567

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:17 pm

EuroCockpit also announces the news: http://www.eurocockpit.com/archives/indiv/E007484.php

A pity really.

What will happen to the only flight remaining between CDG and BRU, an SN flight operated by Axis?
ex-Sabena #26567

Rom1

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:13 am

Brussels - Paris will be done in TGV that simple! the time is about 2h in train with less complications and more space for the passengers.
I'm not sure about the CDG - Bruxelles line as I heard that Thalys (which runs the TGV to Brussells) wanted to quit the CDG stop.
But as they still run the Alps - Brussels line they should still be stopping at CDG airport...

well... sad news for Axis and Marseille...although I had the feeling the airline operated more from Paris than from Marseille...

sn26567

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting Rom1 (Reply 6):
Brussels - Paris will be done in TGV that simple!

Not that simple. SN had already a feeder Thalys service for its African flights from Paris Nord to Brussels Airport. It failed miserably: people wanted to fly! That's when Axis came in and operated the feeder flights for SN. I'm afraid SN will have to look for another carrier.

As for the Thalys between Brussels Midi station and Paris CDG, they will be replaced by regular TGVs.
ex-Sabena #26567

LTU932

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Sn26567 (Reply 7):
Not that simple. SN had already a feeder Thalys service for its African flights from Paris Nord to Brussels Airport. It failed miserably: people wanted to fly! That's when Axis came in and operated the feeder flights for SN. I'm afraid SN will have to look for another carrier.

Why doesn't SN start flying BRU-CDG themselves (with an Avro or an A319)? Or how about TV entering that market, given their relationship with SN?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:46 am

The comment about Africans being hesitant to use the train is not completely stupid..
They buy a plane-ticket to go from Brussels to anywhere in Africa and want to fly -full stop !Also some arrive at Zaventem and don't find the Thalys stopping there but rather at the Gare du Midi..Too much of a hussle for them..

tomcat

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting Rom1 (Reply 6):
Brussels - Paris will be done in TGV that simple! the time is about 2h in train with less complications and more space for the passengers.

Brussels - Paris (if you ment the city centers) never ceased to be opereted by TGV/HST, and I cannot imagine that people were still using the airlink to travel between the 2 cities since the HST line entered into service years ago.

I took once the CDG-BRU Axis flight in continuation of a transatlantic flight, and it was a kind of a joke ! It was operated by a dirty BAe 146, mostly empty (and strangely a majority of people were NOT connecting to an african flight in BRU, but to a european one), with cabin crew members being trained on SN procedures (cabin announcement, lunch service,...). Well, it was a short hop and didn't hurt too much the satisfaction I usually get from SN.

Now I think SN is back with this question: how to feed the african flights from Paris, wich is a very important market for them. Prior contracting with Axis, the attempt with Thalys HST was not satisfactory, due to the excessive duration of the journey between Paris-North station and BRU (there was indeed a long stop in Brussels-midi + the very low speed between brussels-midi and BRU) and the hassles for the passengers to have to transport themselves their luggages from the train station to the check-in desk in BRU. Interconnectivity, where are you?

I think that maybe the best compromise would be to get a turboprop operation between CDG and BRU, like ATR-72, but they need to find a partner ready to do it once a day only. Good luck for SN !

vfw614

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting Tomcat (Reply 10):
I think that maybe the best compromise would be to get a turboprop operation between CDG and BRU, like ATR-72, but they need to find a partner ready to do it once a day only. Good luck for SN !

An ATR72 full of transit pax to/from African destinations - simply not sufficient space for the luggage....

tomcat

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 11):
An ATR72 full of transit pax to/from African destinations - simply not sufficient space for the luggage....

Let's put a trailer to it !  stirthepot 

I only wanted to point out that operating a jet on a 200 miles flight, filled exclusively with connecting pax, is not an ideal situation. But you're right, larger luggage allowance on the African destinations is often an argument of choice, so having luggage restrictions on the feeder flight wouldn't be a very wise option either.

sn26567

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 8):
Why doesn't SN start flying BRU-CDG themselves (with an Avro or an A319)?

They did it the past with an Avro 100 (before the Thalysrnlink and the Axis operation), but due to the schedules it meant twornexpensive empty positioning flights, one in the early morning from BRUrnto CDG, and a later one in the early afternoon from CDG to BRU.

Therefore, hiring an airline with planes based in Paris appeared an ideal solution that will expire with the demise of Axis.

Any news on what will happen to that airline now? Any take-over speculations?
ex-Sabena #26567

FCKC

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:39 pm

I wish ALL THE BEST to the yet to beginn new entrant : Elysair !!!!!!!!!

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:31 am

Since it is Marc Rochet in the driving seat,I am not to confident.All airlines he managed went out of business. (AOL,Air Liberté,Euralair...)
On, top-Elysair don't have a licence yet....

707lvr

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:24 am

Evidently the merger plans with Wizz as part of a consortium of airlines in need of more carefully considered names didn't go anywhere.

EIPremier

Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:34 am

I wonder if Axis ever considered a name change...

cwldude

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:04 am

Shame to see yet another French Airline go! Especially Axis - it was always a pleasure to see their aircraft here at CWL flying rugby charters! I find it amazing how they manage to operate so many routes with such a small amount of aircraft though?
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

Magyarorszag

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 15):
AOL,Air Liberté,Euralair...

It's AOM (AOM French Airlines) not AOL. AOL is about internet.

Cheers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos