Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

r311music
Topic Author

WN Increases Travel Options From DAL

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:49 am

Quote:
By Thursday, Oct. 19, Southwest Airlines Customers can take full advantage of 25 new destinations from Dallas Love Field Airport: Baltimore/Washington, Chicago Midway, Cleveland, Columbus, Denver, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Nashville, Oakland, Omaha, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Seattle/Tacoma, Tampa Bay, and Tucson. Combined with the 18 existing markets the airline serves from Dallas Love Field, Southwest Customers can now travel between Dallas and a total of 43 destinations.

Full article here.
confusing use of time

Charliejag1

RE: WN Increases Travel Options From DAL

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:16 am

It was inevitable, as much as we all LOVED the Wright amendment, we knew it would not last forever. Oh well . . .

chase

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:23 am

The press release mentioned that they will now begin ticketing DAL-HNL, DAL-OGG, and DAL-LGA.
I assume that for DAL-LGA, this will involve changing to TZ at HOU, so DAL-HOU on WN, then HOU-LGA on TZ. That makes more sense than, say, DAL-(STL or OKC or etc)-MDW on WN then MDW-LGA on TZ.
However, what about DAL-HNL and DAL-OGG - the pax would have to change to TZ in PHX or LAS, right? So does this mean DAL-(ELP or similar)-(PHX or LAS) on WN, before flying on to HNL/OGG on TZ?
In a nutshell, I'm asking: would DAL-Hawaii be 3 segments each way?

PanAm747

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:34 am

Quote:

I think what you'll see is a routing such as DAL-PHX, DAL-LAS, DAL-OAK, and then connecting to a TZ flight to Hawai'i. Since one can now fly to several destinations in Hawai'i direct without having to go through HNL, it is possible that you can do a two segment DAL-Hawai'i itinerary.

At the moment, if I wanted to fly WN from SAN to ITO, I could do so, flying WN SAN-OAK, and changing to TZ and flying OAK-ITO.

I think, however, that many flights to DAL will be "direct" - meaning a one-stop flight. For example, I would imagine many flights from SAN to DAL would be via PHX, LAS, ABQ, ELP, and so on. Therefore, one might find a WN ticket DAL-HNL might be routed DAL-(one-stop airport)-OAK/LAS/PHX (TZ Hawai'i gateway), meaning two stops, but possibly only one change of planes.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 2):

I haven't seen the new aircraft flows yet, but given the conditions of Wright v2.0, such a trip would out of necessity require 3 stops. It'd be DAL-ABC-XYZ, with ABC being a stop within the Wright perimeter, and XYZ being one of the connection points (OAK, LAX, LAS, PHX, ONT) to catch TZ to one of their Hawaiian destinations.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mtnwest1979

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 4):
I haven't seen the new aircraft flows yet, but given the conditions of Wright v2.0, such a trip would out of necessity require 3 stops. It'd be DAL-ABC-XYZ, with ABC being a stop within the Wright perimeter, and XYZ being one of the connection points (OAK, LAX, LAS, PHX, ONT) to catch TZ to one of their Hawaiian destinations.

That would only be 2 stops. Only ABC and XYZ.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 5):
That would only be 2 stops. Only ABC and XYZ.

2 stops, 3 flights; sorry I confused the two...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

KarlB737

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:20 am

Courtesy: Dallas Morning News

Southwest Unveils New Schedule

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s/101806dnbussouthwest.84ed18.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southwest Press Conference - Video: 35 Minutes
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/Vi...eoPlayer.php?vidId=95304&catId=104

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southwest Route Map - The Various Options - PDF
http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/img/10-06/1018bus_southwest2.pdf

utapao

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:59 am

Just curious. Is service or frequency being reduced elsewhere, other markets, to provide craft/crew to handle these new flights?

Thanks.
Sawasdee khrab!

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting Utapao (Reply 8):
Just curious. Is service or frequency being reduced elsewhere, other markets, to provide craft/crew to handle these new flights?

Not necessarily, or IMHO likely...

Some aircraft already flow that way... For example, the same aircraft that ops 2493 LAS-LBB also turns 1964 LBB-DAL. Change one of the two flight numbers, and "poof", you now have flight NNNN that ops and is saleable LAS-LBB-DAL.

In other cases, aircraft that run, say DAL-XYZ-DAL and XYZ-ABC-XYZ could be re-flowed where one runs DAL-XYZ-ABC and the other runs ABC-XYZ-DAL.

I can imagine the overtime that schedule planning must be burning right now...  Wink

FLALEFTY

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:29 am

This gets me to wondering if WN's 73Gs & 733s will have enough capacity to keep the established "Wright" markets satisfied and still be able to open up the new one-&-two-stop markets to DAL. You don't think this Wright 2.0 move might make WN consider the 738 or 739 for this new DAL service?

And what will AA's response be? Will they increase ops at DAL and go head-to-head with WN? Or will they offer matching fares to the same markets, but flying non-stop from DFW?

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 10):
You don't think this Wright 2.0 move might make WN consider the 738 or 739 for this new DAL service?

Almost anything is possible...

cloudy

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 10):
This gets me to wondering if WN's 73Gs & 733s will have enough capacity to keep the established "Wright" markets satisfied and still be able to open up the new one-&-two-stop markets to DAL. You don't think this Wright 2.0 move might make WN consider the 738 or 739 for this new DAL service?

Load factors from DAL have been pretty low in the last few years, especially from smaller cities. Shorthaul flights are less popular than they used to be before higher fees and the TSA. Southwest fought the Wright amendment not to create some mythical massive growth in LUV, but to save the existing traffic and allow for modest growth. Without Wright Amendment changes, they would have had to drop a lot of flights and perhaps some entire stations. Smaller Texas cities added before deregulation would be in the most danger.

FLALEFTY

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Cloudy (Reply 12):
Load factors from DAL have been pretty low in the last few years, especially from smaller cities. Shorthaul flights are less popular than they used to be before higher fees and the TSA.

Yeah, those are some good observations!

For some reason, my mind stays stuck in the pre-9/11 view - when men were men, cars had shifts instead of "J-gates", and short-haul airline flights were reasonable options for business travellers.