a3

Inflight (no)service For Y On US&UK Based Airlines

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:59 pm

It¢s not far away the time that the service on board an US or a UK based airline was something to admire and use as a standard to compare with other nations based airlines.
Today , their service (or noservice) is something to avoid compared with other nation¢s airlines. Especially the Asia based and the Arabian based airlines are the leaders on the field.
I am not only talking about the food and the drink service, but also for the seats (with PTV , etc) , the F/A care , amenity kits etc.

I wander why the passengers of these airlines don¢t make a fuss about it and try to change that by booking flights with the other airlines for their trips, especially when the ticket price is almost the same if not a bit cheaper .

Of course I am only talking about only economy and only for passengers that they pay their one ticket and not about passengers that their company pays it , I can understand the company policy etc.

Thanks in advance
Anthony
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

robsawatsky

RE: Inflight (no)service For Y On US&UK Based Airlines

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:06 pm

Quoting A3 (Thread starter):
I wander why the passengers of these airlines don¢t make a fuss about it and try to change that by booking flights with the other airlines for their trips, especially when the ticket price is almost the same if not a bit cheaper .

If foreign carriers that offered such amenities and service were allowed to operate routes within the US or UK I'm sure some pressure could be exerted. But, such is not the case, which is why service on international trips is typically at a higher level.

AMS

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting A3 (Thread starter):
I wander why the passengers of these airlines don¢t make a fuss about it and try to change that by booking flights with the other airlines for their trips, especially when the ticket price is almost the same if not a bit cheaper

Well Here in the USA the complementary food service has almost disappeared. In my opinion I would say that Jetblue has the best domestic service, Free snacks,Soups, free soft drinks, complementary headsets, and a eye mask,lotion etc for red-eye flight going Eastbound.

There are many people choosing Jetblue because of this, and I am sure other airlines will try to follow.

Regards,
AMS

a3

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:38 pm

Quoting AMS (Reply 2):
There are many people choosing Jetblue because of this, and I am sure other airlines will try to follow.

This is great news!!!
I hope passengers will realize that they have the power to change things.
It¢s a different thing to choose to fly with companies like Easyjet because of the ticket price knowing that there is no service, and a different thing to pay expensive ticket only to find out that the only think you get free is…………….. water !!!

AMS

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:15 pm

I even forgot to mention the PTV's on jetblue flights with over 16 channels, You can still check inn 2 pieces of LBS70/KG32 each per piece ,and more legroom from row 13 (34 inch seat pitch) on the A320.

Regards,
AMS

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 pm

Excuse me - I know there will be dozens of UK a-netters chomping at the bit to say this, but you cannot compare BA shorthaul in Y with domestic US airlines - BA are streets ahead in terms of service, food and beverage etc.

Long haul BA and VS have a better, more complete Y-class product than any of the US majors. Food and drink is free for one thing, IFE for BA is roughly the same as the US majors but VS's is streets ahead. Service on both BA and VS is far superior to that offered by any of the US majors - thats not in doubt. Seat pitch is much the same across the board.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

N1120A

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting AMS (Reply 4):
I even forgot to mention the PTV's on jetblue flights with over 16 channels

36 channels.

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 5):
Food and drink is free for one thing

Um, Food and drinks are free on US carriers across the pond as well.

US majors but VS's is streets ahead.

Oh really? V:port is great, though it isn't on all of Virgin's aircraft while US offers similar AVOD on their A330s, NW does the same on their A330s and CO is introducing AVOD across their fleet.

Seat pitch is much the same across the board.

Wrong. US carriers generally offer better Y class pitch
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

a3

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Thank you all for your replies
I suppose that some US and some UK carries are having better service compared with other domestic carriers.
The true test and comparison is the service quality difference between US & UK based carriers and Arab or Asia carriers on the same route.
For Example betwin BA and EK (London –Dubai)
Or
DL and SQ (JFK-SIN)

Anthony

sn26567

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:48 pm

BA are streets ahead in terms of service, food and beverage etc

Excuse me? Ever flown BA Connect? 6 abreast in an Avro, food and drinks only against hard cash, etc. Hardly streets ahead...
ex-Sabena #26567

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
Food and drink is free for one thing

Drinks arent. United, Delta, Continental and American all charge for drinks - and the food isnt as good as on BA/VS.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

carduelis

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 9):
and the food isnt as good as on BA/VS

Quite right! Earlier this year I flew AA from HNL to ORD - $5 for a crappy 'snack' and $5 for a beer! My connecting AA daylight flight to LHR, same charge for a beer, but given a 'mini' pizza which was so hard the plastic AA cutlery was unable to cut into it! UGH! My worst ever longhaul journey - and I've done hundreds!

Fly the Flag!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:44 pm

Quoting Sn26567 (Reply 8):
BA are streets ahead in terms of service, food and beverage etc

Excuse me? Ever flown BA Connect? 6 abreast in an Avro, food and drinks only against hard cash, etc. Hardly streets ahead...

Compare like for like - BA connect is a more pleasant experience than American Eagle or Delta Connection for example, and BA mainline is much nicer than UA, AA, US, NW, DL mainline. Longhaul too.

musapapaya

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:59 pm

Seat pitch is much the same across the board.

No - BA has 31 inch while US airlines mainy have 32 or above.
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

musapapaya

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting Musapapaya (Reply 12):
BA mainline is much nicer than UA, AA, US, NW, DL mainline. Longhaul too.

Would you please explain more 'pleasant'? How are US carriers more 'pleasant' than UK's? Seems you had previously given the wrong piece of information.
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

sn26567

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 11):
Compare like for like - BA connect is a more pleasant experience than American Eagle or Delta Connection for example

Agree! But on MAN-BRU for example, SN Brussels is streets ahead compared to BA Connect, and that's the only choice you get.
ex-Sabena #26567

filejw

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:09 am

US domestic prices and services are driven by SWA. No food in the price. As they say you pay peanuts you get peanuts. BTY SWA is a great airline and I use them all the time.They provide transportation period. If I want to eat I go to a restaurant.

AirSpare

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:27 am

If you are flying cattle class, you're gonna get crappy food, maybe, and hopefully none at all.

Most airports have great food available, I have to laugh at (and get glared at from some PAX) from bringing on board a nice roast beef sandwich, some chips and a decent dessert, I sit there and watch the cart go down the aisle full of long dead chickens and pasta cooked soon after the discovery of the New World. I wouldn't eat that crap under any conditions.

A VV cocktail later and who cares about IFE? I just finished my New York Cheese cake.

So you just got what you paid for, a cheap seat, and you're to cheap to spring for a decent carry on box lunch.

Go figure.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

atlflyer

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:37 am

BA is reconfiguring its economy-class seating within Europe to have an awful 30'' pitch. I don't know of any US carrier that has less than 31'' pitch. Also, our domestic-business class seats are actually different than just three economy seats with a tray table put over the middle seat that you find on many European flights.

Also, most US carriers offer complimentary soft-drinks, coffee, and tea with a snack offered (and in the case of DL and JetBlue, a choice of about 5 snacks with DishNetwork/Directv IFE in many of their planes), so domestic flying in the US is not that bad.

DLPMMM

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting A3 (Reply 7):
DL and SQ (JFK-SIN)

DL does not fly JFK-SIN, infact DL does not fly to SIN at all.

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 9):
Drinks arent. United, Delta, Continental and American all charge for drinks - and the food isnt as good as on BA/VS.

DL has free non-alcoholic drinks and 1 free alcoholic drink with dinner in Y. The food issue is a matter of taste.

On domestic flights, the USA does not do food because the people en masse said they would rather have lower ticket prices.

I fly european airlines several times per year and find they are no better (and sometimes worse) than their american counterparts. (this year I have flown BA, AF, KL, and AZ). Granted that you may get a piece of smoked salmon or thin slice of ham on a piece of rubbery bread on a short flight (I usually fly business), but this does not make or break my opnion of an airline experience.

I think that charging for multiple alcoholic drinks in Y might be a good idea for some airlines as it may push those who have a tendency to overconsume and cause trouble to book their trips elsewhere.

a3

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 18):
DL does not fly JFK-SIN, infact DL does not fly to SIN at all.

Looking at their web site I found Delta 8603 (JFK- CDG) Delta 8406 (CDG-SIN).
Its no big deal actually. I only mention it as example.

DLPMMM

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting A3 (Reply 19):
Looking at their web site I found Delta 8603 (JFK- CDG) Delta 8406 (CDG-SIN).
Its no big deal actually. I only mention it as example.

Those are code share flights with both of these being an AF operated flight.

DL operates no service to SIN.

A340600

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:29 am

Really? On some yes, but not all, likewise with the UK.

Oh really? V:port is great, though it isn't on all of Virgin's aircraft while US offers similar AVOD on their A330s, NW does the same on their A330s and CO is introducing AVOD across their fleet.

NW has the AVOD when the planes were delivered, VS has to install them seperately on an existing fleet as well as new deliveries, this takes time and money when some of the exisiting IFE is better than a lot of other airlines. CO- BA is also introducing it, you point?

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 17):
BA is reconfiguring its economy-class seating within Europe to have an awful 30'' pitch. I don't know of any US carrier that has less than 31'' pitch. Also, our domestic-business class seats are actually different than just three economy seats with a tray table put over the middle seat that you find on many European flights.

Fair point on the seat pitch though the slimline seat design shouldn't make it feel too different. At least you still get a good service in Business, no matter how long the flight is, no such thing as a "snack basket" up front over here! European flights have the food, American's the seats, if only we could mix the two!

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 17):
Also, most US carriers offer complimentary soft-drinks, coffee, and tea with a snack offered (and in the case of DL and JetBlue, a choice of about 5 snacks with DishNetwork/Directv IFE in many of their planes), so domestic flying in the US is not that bad.

But compare that to this:- BA on a 40 minute domestic flight will offer you a full hot breakfast with bread roll and tea served in china, plus if you're sat near the front they often come around offering to hang your coat. All that for less than £60 return! They also offer a complimentary bar on all services and apart from odd timed band 1 and 2 ex LGW there is always something suitable to eat with 2nds never a problem if you wish and they have the availability. The only thing BA don't really have is IFE except on selected longer ex LHR flights, many US carriers win there hands down.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos