Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TriStar500
Topic Author

CO Standard Body Fleet IFE

Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:28 am

Hi Y'all!
I have just returned from a quick 4th-of-July weekend trip flying CO and NW on GRR-DTW-IAH-AUS and back.

Flying CO, I noticed that the installation (or lack of it) of inflight entertaiment system varies among their standardbody fleet (737, MD-80).

On Ship #303, for example, which was used on the IAH-AUS leg, there was no inflight entertainment installed whatsoever, while on ship #341 (AUS-IAH-DTW) there were TV monitors installed in the aisle as well as the regular tuning equipment available at every seat. Both aircraft were, as some of you will have figured out, 737-300's.
Which leads me to my questions:
1. Why are there different IFE standards within the same subfleet (i.e. the 733's)?
2. IS CO refitting older 733's and M80's with IFE?
3. Which parts of the STANDARDBODY fleet are already equipped with any kind of IFE?

If possible, could you give details for every subtype, e.g. 733, 735, 73G, 738? I would greatly appreciate it if y'all could shed some light into this.

Thanks!
TriStar500

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

drerx7

RE: CO Standard Body Fleet IFE

Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:50 am

I'm an intern in the exec. offices here at Continental Center in downtown Houston so I'll try to give a little of my knowledge-which isn't too specific. All of the 73Gs and 738s have video systems and the 733s/735s are in the process of being refitted. The MD80s are slated to be retired in 2005/2006 so I am not sure if all of them will be refitted.

Hope that helps.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

TriStar500
Topic Author

Usage Policy?

Thu Jul 06, 2000 2:10 am

Thanks for the information so far!
I have been flying with CO domestically almost every two years since 1993 and have been on almost all typical stage lengths (30min up to 3h30min) except for transcons.
Until this year, when IFE was available, a cabin announcement was made at the commencement of the flight that headsets are available for purchase. During my flights on IFE-equipped CO-birds this year (on 733 and 738) no announcements were made anymore.
Is this part of a new policy?
Secondly, will CO follow the trend and give out headsets free to its passengers?
On what stage lengths are the TV monitors used?

Thanks for any further information!
TriStar500
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

777gk

RE: Usage Policy?

Thu Jul 06, 2000 2:29 am

All CO aircraft with IFE play the safety demo video at the beginning of the flight, regardless of stage length. The latest IFE systems on the 737NG are troublesome flip-down small TV monitors every 4 rows or so under the overhead bins, plus a larger monitor at each cabin divider. To my knowledge, however, the aircraft that are being retrofitted with IFEs have the large monitors in the aisles and those mounted on partitions, since it may require a total replacement of the overhead bins to install the smaller ones. But, CO is replacing the overhead bins on its fleet, so one never knows. CO has IFEs on a small number of 737-300s, quite a few 737-500s, all 737-700/800/900 (when they are delivered), a a few MD-80s, and all 757s. The entire widebody fleet has IFEs, and the 767s and 777s will have personal tv units at every seat.

Hope I helped

Greg Kolby

iahcsr

Thu Jul 06, 2000 4:23 am

There are only a few CO 733's with IFE (ships 340-49 are the only ones... I think). These are the one's that were intended for use on longer flights. No 735's or MD80's are so equipped. If there are plans to change this on the 73's, I am not aware of it and I can't see the 80's ever getting such systems.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

777gk

Thu Jul 06, 2000 4:33 am

I stand corrected. I must have been thinking about the 737-300, the -500 is used on too short of segments. However, 3 MD-83s have video screens, I remember reading it in a magazine.

Thu Jul 06, 2000 9:33 am

I've never heard of IFE on MD-80s before. Do any other airlines have it?

iahcsr

Thu Jul 06, 2000 10:35 am

That magazine needs to check it's facts a bit more carefully. Over the years, I have come in contact with most, if not all, MD-80's in the fleet. No CO MD80 is equipped with IFE.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

Thu Jul 06, 2000 11:48 am

I must agree with iahcsr. I have also flown probably every MD-80 in the CO fleet, and have never seen, nor heard of IFE equiped aircraft. A handful of 733's were equiped with large center aisle mounted monitors. These aircraft had the internal subfleet designation "73R", for long-range. I believe they may have had an extra fuel tank as well as the IFE. The a/c were used on routes such as "thin" trans-con's like EWR-SEA and EWR-PHX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos