JuniorSpotter
Topic Author

Cross-wind Landings (video)

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:10 am

Okay, this might have been posted before, but it's way too late to do a search now.  Wink

Check out these cross-wind landings...the third and fourth ones are just plain perverted. I mean...come on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c4afOFqrLU
If something can go wrong, it will.

futurecaptain

RE: Cross-wind Landings (video)

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:31 am

The good ol video of crosswind landing testing. I downloaded that video first time I saw it and everyone I show it to love it.

That would be interesting to experience as a passenger on an airliner. To look out a side window and see straight down the runway...or close to it.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

TurkishWings

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:36 am

I love watching crosswind landing videos but I don't think I would enjoy them as a passenger  Smile

So these are test flight but would a commercial airliner actually land in such adverse weather conditions?
Coffee - Tea or Me?

Epidaurus

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 2):
I love watching crosswind landing videos but I don't think I would enjoy them as a passenger

TurkishWings, that's only because the world didn't slow down and "Return To Innocence" didn't start playing over the PA.  wink 

777STL

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:30 am

Let me guess, this is the video of Boeing doing crosswind landing tests on the 777 and the 747SP to that soft song? I don't even have to click on the link anymore because this has been reposted so many times.
PHX based

Foxy

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:24 pm

Theres something so beautiful and graceful about an aircraft making a crosswing landing

Motorhussy

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:30 pm

LOL, if the weather weren't so good and there were calamitous looking seas at each end of the perilously short runway, I would have sworn it was just another day at the office for WLG.

BTW, great video, thank you.

Regards
MH

[Edited 2006-10-21 05:35:59]
come visit the south pacific

jetset7e7

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:55 am

The 3rd and 4th 777 landing were amazing! Thanks for sharing, even though its been posted a few times

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

spacecadet

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 2):
So these are test flight but would a commercial airliner actually land in such adverse weather conditions?

There is a limit, and it varies per aircraft based on various factors. Typically, testing is going to go to the absolute limit, and then the regulations and guidelines will be set some amount below that to allow for error or unexpected gusts or whatever. So, I think the last two landings here are probably more extreme than anything you'd see in real life, but the first two, maybe.

There are plenty of airports in the world with only one runway (or runways in only one direction) where crosswind landings are sometimes necessary, and sometimes the pilots will be right up against the limit for their airplane. I've experienced this myself landing at Narita; a few years ago, I had a landing there in a 747 where I really thought we were going over. The landings look really gentle in this video but inside the cabin, you definitely feel the plane's inertia pulling hard from side to side.

Anyone who's ever landed at LGA knows how it feels too; all landings there are crosswind (takeoffs are into the wind on the perpendicular runway), it's just a question of degree. I would NOT have wanted to be flying into LGA yesterday... 48mph wind gusts! Still, the airport stayed open so you know plenty of planes were landing in those winds.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

wannabe

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:41 am

How close are they to stalling the "trailing" wing in segments 3 & 4? Were they actually flying into a crosswind, or merely crabbing as much as they could for testing purposes?

B757capt

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:02 am

Thats awesome footage. Someone must have got these from Boeing co.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

BamMargera

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:26 am

sean377

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Quoting Wannabe (Reply 9):
Were they actually flying into a crosswind, or merely crabbing as much as they could for testing purposes?

I'm not sure you can make an airliner fly sideways without a crosswind.

Quoting Wannabe (Reply 9):
How close are they to stalling the "trailing" wing

The trailing wing is travelling the same speed as the leading wing.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos