Slovacek747
Topic Author

Around The World Trip

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:37 pm

I am curious as to how much an around the world trip would cost, originating in the USA. I'm looking for a ballpark figure and don't care what airlines because I wouldn't be using miles for trip. I am a member with CO and if possible would like to collect more miles with them through partners while flying this trip but it's not a necessity. Any additional advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Slovacek

BreninTW

RE: Around The World Trip

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:44 pm

I flew around the world on OneWorld in '99 (originating in Taipei) and it cost around US$2000 (I don't remember the exact amount). I know on Star Alliance, the cost varies with the number of flights you take ...

Bren

anax

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 pm

why don't you check the alliances sites? all three , have RTW ticket offers.  wave 
god is a spotter!!!

airtrainer

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Not originating in the US but a local travel agency offers RTW trips starting at €1655 + tax... Try to visit http://www.connections.be/rtw/index_en.htm or http://www.travel-overland.de/specia.../roundtheworld/?lt=hp_specials_rtw for some examples (sorry, the second link is in german)

Pricing a RTW is quite difficult, depending on the number of destinations you want to visit. If I'm not mistaken, expedia has a RTW planner (forget me if I'm wrong)...

Have a nice trip anyway, and don't forget to write a trip report  Wink
Life is short : eat dessert first !

scoliodon

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:30 pm

I was planning to take one about 6 months back..the cost came to around $3000... but I didn't make the trip..  Sad
JFK-LGA-EWR-DTW-IND-PHX-CLE-SFO-LAS-SEA-ORD-MCO-MIA-DFW-ATL-CDG-FRA-BOM-MAA-DEL-TRZ-DXB-CLT-CVG-DEN-MSP

Vref5

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting Slovacek747 (Thread starter):
I am curious as to how much an around the world trip would cost, originating in the USA.

In general, would cost between USD $2000 to USD $5000 or so, depending on class of service (economy vs business) as well as details of itinerary.

There are other rules and nuances involved in pricing the trip, too. I.e., a common one is where you must travel in a single direction (let's say, westwards), and can only "backtrack" only once (often in the Pacific Ocean), and where you must spend at least one night in each city.

To get a reasonable fare estimate will require talking to an airline's special services desk (some may have dedicated desks for doing RTW trip pricing).

A RTW trip, therefore usually lasts 2-3 weeks and for the cost cited above.

cusaeng

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:08 pm

I would say get a good idea of the rout and when you want to fly, then ring co reservations and ask them to quote you for a round the world ticket.
one world have a one world explorer ticket but I am not sure what The SkyTeam Alliance equivalent is.

they may restrict you to flying with only The SkyTeam Alliance members so be prepared to juggle your plans a bit. if they cant do what you want it may be worth while looking at one world or star alliance products.

I wouldn't expect a quote straight away either. I know that not all airline reservation staff are trained on those types of fairs and it may need to be quoted manually by a fairs agent. as the fairs usually differ depending on the number of sectors they fly.

all the best
keep us updated
I wanna fly but they wont let me :( grr

ozglobal

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:12 pm

I do about 2 RTW trips per year for serveral reasons:

i) I live in Europe, but have professional responsibilities in Asia Pac and other parts of the world. The RTW in J is roughly the same as a return (US:"Round Trip") ticket in J to Asia Pac from Europe. So, if I have more than one or two destinations on the business trip, it is more attractive to take the RTW. e.g. CDG-NRT-HKG-MEL-LAX-LHR-CDG
ii) As an expat from Oz, living in Europe, I have one return, J class ticket to OZ annually. This is pretty pricey, so this year I am doing RTW instead, combining a ski trip in Austria, followed by visiting family and friends in CBR, MEL, HBA, BNE and SYD and then coming back to Paris with a two day stop over in RIO for a total of 1k euro over the price of the return CDG-MEL J-class fare! Full itinerary is: CDG-LHR-SZG-LHR-BKK-SYD-CBR-MEL-HBA-MEL-BNE-SYD-SCL-GIG-MAD-CDG. In Mar this year also did: CDG-LHR-NRT-HKG-MEL-BNE-SYD-AKL-LAX-JFK-LHR-CDG in J.

For RTW, I use OneWorld. Although a member of all three alliances, I have a high status with QF / OW and they have the best premium carriers in Asia Pac and on Kanagaroo and transpac OZ-US routes.

Fares originating in Europe are: 5K-6K euros 4 continents in J, depending on number of additional sectors in any one continent.

Cheers,

OzGlobal
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

b777a340fan

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 7):
i) I live in Europe, but have professional responsibilities in Asia Pac and other parts of the world. The RTW in J is roughly the same as a return (US:"Round Trip") ticket in J to Asia Pac from Europe. So, if I have more than one or two destinations on the business trip, it is more attractive to take the RTW. e.g. CDG-NRT-HKG-MEL-LAX-LHR-CDG
ii) As an expat from Oz, living in Europe, I have one return, J class ticket to OZ annually. This is pretty pricey, so this year I am doing RTW instead, combining a ski trip in Austria, followed by visiting family and friends in CBR, MEL, HBA, BNE and SYD and then coming back to Paris with a two day stop over in RIO for a total of 1k euro over the price of the return CDG-MEL J-class fare! Full itinerary is: CDG-LHR-SZG-LHR-BKK-SYD-CBR-MEL-HBA-MEL-BNE-SYD-SCL-GIG-MAD-CDG. In Mar this year also did: CDG-LHR-NRT-HKG-MEL-BNE-SYD-AKL-LAX-JFK-LHR-CDG in J.

Three questions: who do you work for? what do you do? are you hiring? I would LOVE to travel around the world and call it "work"!!!!

AirTranTUS

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:08 am

If you just want to fly and staying somewhere is not important, then a ticket can be had for <$2000. Many of the alliance RTW trips require a minumum of 10 days, but you can look for yourself and go around in about 3 days. Check out Oasis Hong Kong Airlines (www.oasishongkong.com) for low fares from LGW-HKG. That is if you do not want to visit any places in between.

I've thought about doing a RTW too. If I do go on one it will be with my trip to Farnborough in 2008.  crossfingers   crossfingers 
I love ASO!

aviationfreak

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:23 am

check www.thegreatescapade.com

You have to start and end in the UK though and can only use the network of MI, SQ, NZ and VS. Fares start at 860 pounds + taxes depending on the time you travel. A transatlantic ticket doesn't cost much these days so wouldn't add to much to the price.
I just returned from my RTW on this ticket. It's best value for money if you're ok with the destinations you can fly to in the network of these airlines.

I'd say Skyteam is a bit of a pain if you want to fly to destinations in the South Pacific, New Zealand and Australia because most RTW's restrict flying on codeshares with partner airlines.

Kind regards,

Sander
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

Ken777

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:29 pm

I started RTW trips for business in order to avoid flying long haul west to east - I'm getting old!

There is a wealth of information on flyertalk.com under Global Alliances for the 3 major alliances. That is where I first learned of some very good deals of starting in various countries, as well as the rules of the various alliances.

After more than a few hours of looking you should get a good idea of your options and be able to go from there.

Have a great trip!

VonRichtofen

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 8):
Three questions: who do you work for? what do you do? are you hiring? I would LOVE to travel around the world and call it "work"!!!!

No kidding!! Though I'm close: Ramper for AC which means non-rev benefits and ID tickets/Zed fares galore! Big grin But to live in Europe and get paid to travel like that... GlobalOz has got it made Big grin Big grin

Slovacek747
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Thanks for the information guys. Hope I'll be able to do this eventually. I'm thinkin as a graduation gift from college.

Slovacek747

777STL

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 3):
Pricing a RTW is quite difficult, depending on the number of destinations you want to visit. If I'm not mistaken, expedia has a RTW planner (forget me if I'm wrong)...

It's really not. Oneworld for example bases ticket price off of three factors, how many continents/regions you visit, class of service, and the number of miles you want for your ticket, e.g. a 30,000 mile ticket, 25,000 mile ticket, etc.

I researched it a while back, it's a great deal provided you do it right. Also, the price of the ticket can vary significantly based on where it originates.
PHX based

ozglobal

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:52 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 12):
Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 8):

No kidding!! Though I'm close: Ramper for AC which means non-rev benefits and ID tickets/Zed fares galore! But to live in Europe and get paid to travel like that... GlobalOz has got it made

I work for a large global financial services group in IT governance and spend most of my time based in Paris. I have responsibilities which involve travel to numerous different countries for company visits, with the greatest focus on Asia Pacific, Europe and the US. As an expat from OZ, I get a J class trip home once per year also. All in all, it's a good balance. About 8-10 international business missions per year, including typically 2 RTW: neither too much or too little. Mostly long haul, so you're not spending your life in transfers and at airports, using AF or OneWorld.

Cheers,

OzGlobal

ozglobal

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:33 am

Does SkyTeam offer an RTW fare? They are challenged in Asia Pac with only the 'white knuckle' carrier KE and AF/KLM connections, so may be difficult to put together itineraries. US is pretty dire also, with DL as the partner there.

da man

Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 16):
S is pretty dire also, with DL as the partner there.

What about CO and NW? Last time I checked they were members of SkyTeam as well!
War Eagle!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos