Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cadet57
Topic Author

US Airways Ramp Schedule Question

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:23 am

I got an interview for a ramp position next week and am debating weather to go because I am in school and dont want to quit for the airline. So I was wondering how the schedule bidding goes. How long does that schedule last until I can get a new one? Are they flexible with something like school for a part timer?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

HPRamper

RE: US Airways Ramp Schedule Question

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:51 am

A lot of it depends on where you will be working - hub or outstation. At hubs, you bid on both time schedule and specific task, i.e. baggage makeup, connect runner etc. At outstations it's pretty much schedule only, and those with lowest seniority are generally relegated to graveyard or early morning shifts.

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 1):

BDL, so outstation? I figured id get the crappy schedules. But is it possible to get the same one every week?

HPRamper

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:00 am

BDL is a much larger US station than mine is, but yeah it's outstation. I really don't know how other stations work their bids, but they generally last for around three months, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less. During each bid, my weekly schedule doesn't change. I know I do mail/cargo every Tuesday, bag makeup on Saturdays, onload bag runner on Monday and offload runner on Sundays. For simplicity of scheduling, whatever shift you get is the one you will be working for the entire bid, barring permanent shift trades.

It is rare for us to see a change in this pattern.

jdwfloyd

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:02 am

It is very easy to swap around a double out shifts. The first week or two may be rough but then you can get the schd that you want. You will prob. get the PM shift so you could pick up someones sat and sun mornings so you would only work 3 or 4 days a week.

US AIRWAYS

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 am

I never thought I was going to be able to keep working the ramp over a few months, but I ended up working nights after school, having the best schedule (Friday and Saturday off...usually swapped sundays) and keeping my job until I transferred out here to Phoenix.
Go Eagles!

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:00 am

So you think if I schedule AM classes I could pull this off? I really wanna work on the ramp so im trying!

US AIRWAYS

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:24 am

You should be able to. I worked at PHL so there were a million lines I could bid. I also got in right before we hired hundreds of people so I was on the first page of the bid-list for part-timers out of about 10 pages. You could also work in the AM and schedule PM classes. The AM starts are usually between 5 and 6:30 and usually end around 11 or 12.
Go Eagles!

r311music

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:38 pm

I was just talking to US ramper on the employee bus the other day and he said they are looking for people to fill the 1pm-5pm lines, and the 8pm-1230am lines. AM's are very senior at BDL. The only thing that might be a problem is that you have to go to training away from BDL for a week.
confusing use of time

F9Animal

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting R311music (Reply 8):
I was just talking to US ramper on the employee bus the other day and he said they are looking for people to fill the 1pm-5pm lines, and the 8pm-1230am lines. AM's are very senior at BDL. The only thing that might be a problem is that you have to go to training away from BDL for a week.

You would likely face PM shifts. Senior agents usually get the AM's. Keep in mind that you would have to face a week or so training in PHX or LAS. Not sure if they are using CLT or PHL for that anymore. Then your OJT would likely be AM's, but you could talk to the Station Manager and work out PM OJT.

Good luck! US is a great airline with good people.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting R311music (Reply 8):

Thats not bad then because my one class would be 9:30am-11:00. Also, how many hours is part time considered? 20? 30?

NoBoeingNoGoin

Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:24 am

Hey, I work for EN at TYS. I have about 1 year and 2 months senority. I work ticket counter and gate. I have never had a schedule that started before 3 pm and I normally work weekends. We are scheduled 4 days a week... Now, I am #2 in senority and can hold one weekend day off a week. It is very easy to work around.. And there is a lot of downtime (especially on the ramp). I work 30+ hours a week and take 18 hours in college.... No problems.
Alex

US AIRWAYS

Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:16 am

When I started part-time shifts were just a little over 4 hours, which was great. A couple months later they switched it to 6 and a half hours (the half hour is unpaid and is supposed to be for lunch, which is BS because you can basically take it anytime you're not busy) This is all at PHL though, so I'm not sure if an outstation like yours is set up differently.
Go Eagles!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos