Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tsnamm
Topic Author

CO 757 Landing Error At EWR

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:14 pm

This story was in the NY Post this morning...here's a link...could have been a big mistake...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10312006...murray_weiss_and_jeremy_olshan.htm

Arniepie

RE: CO 757 Landing Error At EWR

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:24 pm

That's my kind of pilot, forget about the stupid runway..... straight to the taxiway instead.  Silly Silly Silly
This might put ideas in the LCC's on how to have a quicker turnaround time.
 bigthumbsup 

In all seriousness, this is some mistake to make, he'll never fly again.
[edit post]

tonytifao

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:37 pm

Ouch, this is a big problem. Even I can tell the difference between a runway and a taxiway  Smile

jamesjimlb

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:39 pm

he will indeed lose his lisence and get fired, you CAN'T mistake a taxiway for a runway and if he did he was proboly drunk!!!!

[Edited 2006-10-31 14:57:53]
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

lincoln

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting JamesJimlb (Reply 3):
he will indeed lose his lisence and get fired, you CAN'T mistake a taxiway for a runway and if he did he was proboly drunk!!!!

I think the folks at LAS would probaby beg to differ. Clearly not the first time this mistake has been made:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Tsagaris - CYOW Airport Watch

Yeah it was a serious screw up, but to jump to the conclusion that he was drunk -- or that he is gaurnteed to loose his license is assinine, especially based on the sensationalist crap in a NY Post article.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jamesjimlb

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):
Looks like you've been doing some underage drinking with that sort of spelling.

now look at it
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:08 pm

Aside from this being a bad mistake, I do not like the way this article blows the consequences out of proportion. OK, had there been other aicraft on the TWY, then it could have led to a catastrophe, but then the pilot most likely wouldn't have landed on it (as visibiloility was good). Sure, the TWY is just 70 feet wide and the wingspan might be 150feet, but what's the problem. It's a taxiway and taxiways are meant to beused by airliners with large wingspans. So there has to be a sufficient cearance.

Anyway, it is always interesting when such things happen.

MDorBust

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:10 pm

A little drama in the article?

Quote:
The pilot made such a short stop, he left skid marks on the taxiway, which were later found by police investigating the bizarre incident, according to a source.

Yeah... that would mean that the aircrafts brake system was broken. Mos likely tire run up marks from the touchdown.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

frequentflyer

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 8):
Landing on a 75 foot wide taxiway vs a 150 foot wide runway- fairley good airmanship though.

rotfl 
Take off and live

Indio66

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:28 pm

Two significant errors here, according to the article. Wrong landing and failure to report the incident. I have a feeling that the second may be as damaging (or more damaging) for the pilots than the first.

D950

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:41 pm

And the control tower was where???
Resting on your laurels is a synonym for flirting with disaster

richierich

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting 764 (Reply 9):
Aside from this being a bad mistake, I do not like the way this article blows the consequences out of proportion. OK, had there been other aicraft on the TWY, then it could have led to a catastrophe,

No way! Just because a catastrophe didn't happen (thank God) doesn't mean that this wasn't a very serious mistake. Blowing out of proportion would be saying "CO is an unsafe airline" or that "EWR should be closed", but what these pilots did sounds very very serious to me.

Without knowing the full extent of what happened - I don't rely on the NYPost too much for that info - I'm guessing the FAA will investigate and could come down hard on the pilots and/or the airline. They'll probably review all records for these pilots, including sim time, training, past record, etc. ALPA will have a hard time defending the pilots if it was truly just their mistake.
None shall pass!!!!

IAHFLYR

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting D950 (Reply 13):

Sitting right on top of the structure where it was designed to go!

What are you attempting to imply with that question, anything in particular?
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

IAHFLYR

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting Indio66 (Reply 12):
I have a feeling that the second may be as damaging (or more damaging) for the pilots than the first.

WOW, I would think that with ASAP in place at CO the second would have been the first thing done.....but how does anyone know if it was reported or not via the appropriate channels within the company following policy? Last I knew ASAP was working quite well and is kept private not forwarded to the media and more!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

jumbojet

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 14):
ALPA will have a hard time defending the pilots if it was truly just their mistake.

And who else can you blame? the CT? "Continental 1883 your cleared to land on taxiway Z"????

D950

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:06 am

I am not implying any damn thing, I am asking, at Newark airport, on a slow Saturday, NO ONE noticed this minor incident. Correct me if I am wrong, but after touchdown, does the tower not instruct which taxiways to use to gate?? which would require a visual no????
Resting on your laurels is a synonym for flirting with disaster

richierich

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting JumboJet (Reply 18):
And who else can you blame? the CT? "Continental 1883 your cleared to land on taxiway Z"????

I hear you - I'm just trying to give the pilots the benefit of the doubt. You never really know how these things will end up.
None shall pass!!!!

burnsie28

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:09 am

he will indeed lose his lisence and get fired,

No they won't if anything, they will be suspended and sent back to Houston for some recurrent training.

CAN'T mistake a taxiway for a runway

You know how many times it happens, Southwest seems to have a problem in Seattle with it.

Interesting how the police were called, and how the pilots dissapeared, its quite apparent that ATC wasn't paying attention, because ATC would have let them know, and regardless of the mistake a pilot isn't going to just run away.... Maybe they ran to fill out a NASA form haha.

tjwgrr

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:28 am

Holy crap!! The taxiway (taxiway Zulu) on the north side of Rwy 29 runs RIGHT next to the Virgin Atlantic freight building parking lot. Anyone sitting in that parking lot would have needed to change their shorts when that '57 glided past. The wing tip would have been just a matter of feet off the fence line....... I've watched many an aircraft taxi past from that parking lot. Zulu also runs right in front of the PA Admin. building too.

Wonder how they determined the runway end with no end identifier lights? Also 29 shows landing distance of 6502 feet available, but Zulu doesn't straigten out until beyond the touch down point of 29, and then it looks like it jogs again next to the ABX/DHL ramp- considerably less than 6502 feet. Wow. Hot brakes I'm sure.

Good thing no other aircraft were waiting to depart 22R from the Zulu intersection.......

[Edited 2006-10-31 16:39:02]
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

COewrAAtysAZ

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:29 am

Here is a link to a more respectably written article by the Star Ledger.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey.../news-5/116227676734640.xml&coll=1
Continental Airlines: Trabajar con empe�?��?�±o, Volar con Pasi�?��?�³n

DeltaGuy

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Indio66 (Reply 12):
I have a feeling that the second may be as damaging (or more damaging) for the pilots than the first.

I highly doubt they walked away from the aircraft without being aware of what they did, and reporting it to someone- these guys aren't that ignorant. The more fatal flaw would be walking away from an incident like this.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 10):

Yeah... that would mean that the aircrafts brake system was broken. Mos likely tire run up marks from the touchdown.

He was probably on the brakes quite a bit as he realized he was on a taxiway and could have hit someone. It's not everyday there's touchdown skids on a taxiway  Wink

That other article spells it out a little clearer, minus the spin. Who knows, this could start alot of investigation about the safety of this taxiway/runway combinaton. Like in LEX, it took confusion about runway surfaces (in that case, unfortunate loss of life) for the FAA to look at it seriously.

Would be interesting to see if they were shooting a visual, or had the ILS tuned in- it'd be hard to sidestep that much if they were following the LOC.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

RL757PVD

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting D950 (Reply 13):

Quoting D950 (Reply 19):
I am not implying any damn thing, I am asking, at Newark airport, on a slow Saturday, NO ONE noticed this minor incident. Correct me if I am wrong, but after touchdown, does the tower not instruct which taxiways to use to gate?? which would require a visual no????

This was a big issue after the Comair crash too...

The main issue is that the controlers are not there to instruct the pilots how to do their job! They are there to ensure that aircraft are secquenced and spaced properly in flight and that the runway environment is safe when they instruct the pilots to use it for takeoff/landing. If the controler clears the pilot to land on the proper runway which is clear and safe for use, the contollers job is DONE. Anything after that is excersising extra caution and being extra onbservant.

If controllers had to watch every move a pilot makes we'd need 3x as many air traffic contollers. Pilots get paid the big $$$ for a reason, THEY are the ones responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft!
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

richierich

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 23):
The main issue is that the controlers are not there to instruct the pilots how to do their job! They are there to ensure that aircraft are secquenced and spaced properly in flight and that the runway environment is safe when they instruct the pilots to use it for takeoff/landing. If the controler clears the pilot to land on the proper runway which is clear and safe for use, the contollers job is DONE. Anything after that is excersising extra caution and being extra onbservant.

I agree with you, but I suspect the controllers lack of awareness in the LEX crash will be considered a 'contributing factor'. In this incident though, I'm not sure exactly what the controllers could have done - they probably didn't notice, at least not until the plane had landed.
None shall pass!!!!

litz

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:59 am

This happened many years back at Hartsfield, when a Southern DC9 landed on a taxiway ...

(as told to me by a retired ATL controller)

- litz

keego

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:09 am

Pilots get paid the big $$$ for a reason,

Nowadays ATC get paid more than most pilots.

petazulu

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:10 am

I find it kind of surprising that 2 pilots landing at their 'hub' airport on a clear day would be able to miss the runway and find a taxiway! Were they really tired? I mean it could not have possibly been their first time. I would think the pilots would be intimately familiar with EWR.

Weird stuff. Could have been a real disaster. Kind of shakes up your confidence a little though that 2 mainline pilots at their homebase could make such an error.

EWRATC

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:14 am

Since most of you that comment on here have been to the tower cab at EWR and most have done the ILS 22L circled to land runway 29 in the dark with windshear and a northwest wind gusting to 40+kts not to mentioned and put a full b757 or any jet transport down in 6800 ft after turning a 2 mi base. Oh and I forgot most on here have worked in the tower so you know what everything looks like , the runways and taxiways especially in the dark. I tell ya you guys know everything. oh and I can say all this cause I was there and I KNOW what happened, dont believe everything you read. People crucify everyone on here cause they think they know what happened or ask how that could happen. Until you strap on a jet transport or stand at the local position at any airport you dont know and you never will know. Think before you type. The pilots had a hand full and the tower had a hand full all I will say is we were busy. Dont ask me details its under investigation.
Contact Departure

Falcon Flyer

Controllers might not be able to tell the difference between an aircraft lined up for the runway or lined up for the taxiway, particularly from the distance of the tower and at night until the very last minute. As far as accusations of drinking and negligence, how 'bout we hold off on hanging the pilots from a flagpole until all the facts are in and the investigation is complete.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

IAHFLYR

The main issue is that the controlers are not there to instruct the pilots how to do their job! They are there to ensure that aircraft are secquenced and spaced properly in flight and that the runway environment is safe when they instruct the pilots to use it for takeoff/landing. If the controler clears the pilot to land on the proper runway which is clear and safe for use, the contollers job is DONE. Anything after that is excersising extra caution and being extra onbservant

Thank you!

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 19):
Interesting how the police were called, and how the pilots dissapeared, its quite apparent that ATC wasn't paying attention, because ATC would have let them know, and regardless of the mistake a pilot isn't going to just run away

First, ATC is not going to call Barney Fife, they'd call FSDO after an attempted call to the Chief Pilot Office at EWR.

Second, it would be nice if you had been a fly on the wall in the tower during the event so you would have seen first hand exactly what the local and ground controllers were doing before making a statement as you have regarding ATC and being attentive or not! Since you most likely were not a fly on on the wall nor appear to have any knowledge of the location of the control tower relative to Runway 29 or taxiway Z you might do the rest of us a favor and retract that statement, sir!

Third, you may want to consider a career in the legal field since you seem to have all the facts in order and are ready to go to trial.  melting 

ASMVPGOLD

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:16 am

SEA has had it's share of 'taxiway landings' on the new taxiway built for the 3rd runway. I think they finally mande some changes (like LAS) to prevent any future landings. They also mention it in the notams "- DO NOT MISTAKE TWY T FOR LNDG SFC. "
721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,741/2/3/4,752/3,762/3/4,772/3/LR,787,DC9/30/50/80/90,DC10,MD11,L1011,F100,319,320,321,332,333,380,CRJ,ERJ,DH8/2/4

IAHFLYR

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting D950 (Reply 17):
I am asking, at Newark airport, on a slow Saturday, NO ONE noticed this minor incident. Correct me if I am wrong, but after touchdown, does the tower not instruct which taxiways to use to gate?? which would require a visual no????

No, not always and certainly no when there is a runway such as 29 which dumps right into the ramp, pretty clear what direction to drive the jet.....of course taking into account we are landing on the runway!

At that time of evening being reported, it may not be a slow Saturday time.

airzim

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:19 am

The co-pilot was landing the plane, and was recently hired by CO. Although he has experience with other carriers.

Let's not jump to conclusions until the final report is issued. While certainly not excusing the error, in the air things can look similar on the ground. Perhaps doing the same routine 100 times leads to complacency?

potomac

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:31 am

sheesh, i was looking at the taxi diagrams for EWR. zulu and whiskey aren't exactly perfectly clean parallel taxiways to 29...

[Edited 2006-10-31 17:33:08]

Cadet57

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:43 am

sarcastic 

Seems the Chief FAA investigator is a member here... With poor spelling and grammar to boot!
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

IAHFLYR

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting EWRATC (Reply 28):
Until you strap on a jet transport or stand at the local position at any airport you dont know and you never will know. Think before you type

Appreciate that pal, pretty much what I had hoped to say but got too wrapped up in the nonsense of some!  Smile

ChiGB1973

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 2):
Ouch, this is a big problem. Even I can tell the difference between a runway and a taxiway

If a CO 752 pilot can mistake it, surely a software engineer could too. Maybe you're a pilot too, but still...

Quoting 764 (Reply 7):
Aside from this being a bad mistake, I do not like the way this article blows the consequences out of proportion.

Yeah, the article is written very bad, like they deliberately did it for fun.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 8):

I'll bet there were some other skid marks when he figured out what he did.

No they won't if anything, they will be suspended and sent back to Houston for some recurrent training

I am glad to hear that they probably will not lose their jobs. The suspension and recurrent training seem to be a logical "punishment."

Quoting Coewraatysaz (Reply 21):
Here is a link to a more respectably written article by the Star Ledger

More in line with reality, thanks.

Though the crew does have a lot of explaining to do, recurrent training, a suspension, these guys surely have flown a lot of hours and are very experienced. I do not want to downplay the seriousness of this incident, it could have resulted in tragedy, but I have a lot of respect for pilots and know their job is subject to mistakes as with any profession. Granted, most profession's errors don't have the same results as airline pilot's errors. While at TZ, I flew with many great pilots. These are very educated, smart, attentive guys that are human just like anyone.

Having worked with many pilots, it is hard for me to describe how I feel about this incident other than what I have said. I read NTSB and FAA reports daily that reflect some of what could have happened.

I prefer to defer any condemnation of the guys until after a full investigation, even then, would stick by their side no matter the outcome and feel very safe flying on a CO 752 with this same flight crew.

M

FlyHoss

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:02 am

It's been a long time since I've been on taxiway Zulu at EWR. Does it have blue edge/perimeter lighting? Is it unlit or with just blue reflectors?

I'm trying to put myself in that position, circling to 29 at night with a strong westerly wind and I'm wondering if blue edge lights would have alerted the crew to their error and thus prevented this mistake.
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

tjwgrr

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:08 am

Watch this in replay mode beginning at 18:30 on October 28. The bird turning final for 29 is CO 1883. On the 5 mile range, you can clearly see 1883 shift to the right (north) just prior to touch down:

http://www4.passur.com/ewr.html
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Ward86IND

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:16 am

The Taxiway running parallel to the west of 34L/16R at KSEA has been mistakenly landed on not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES. (This according to a Port of Seattle guy at the airport.)
Live your dream.

Mir

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 4):
to jump to the conclusion that he was drunk -- or that he is gaurnteed to loose his license is assinine, especially based on the sensationalist crap in a NY Post article.

Jumping to the conclusion that he was drunk is stupid, but I would bet (though not heavily), that he would have his certificate revoked temporarily. Unless there was something that made getting the aircraft on the ground a priority, a go-around should have been in order after both pilots discovered that they weren't lined up with the runway. And if they couldn't determine that, then there are serious problems. But there are lots of variables that could be in play, so we won't really know what went down until the investigation proceeds.

What makes it strange is that the pilots seemed to run from the incident. That would be worse than the mistake itself, and would all but guarantee that they'd lose their certificates. However, that is from the Post's story, and the Post's reliability is highly suspect to say the least. The fact that that does not appear in the Ledger story makes me question whether that really happened.

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 38):
It's been a long time since I've been on taxiway Zulu at EWR. Does it have blue edge/perimeter lighting? Is it unlit or with just blue reflectors?

I may be totally off the mark on this, but I don't think EWR has edge lighting on the taxiways - just the green centerline lighting with edge reflectors.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

B737900ER

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting D950 (Reply 11):

And the ILS and autoland system?. Something doesnt sound right. There is more going on than what we know

COEWR

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:40 am

IAHFLYR

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting Tjwgrr (Reply 39):
On the 5 mile range, you can clearly see 1883 shift to the right (north) just prior to touch down:

They all make that jog north just about over the threshold......

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 35):
Seems the Chief FAA investigator is a member here... With poor spelling and grammar to boot!

Hey I'm sure our Chief FAA investigator will use PASSUR to arrive at a conclusion.

jumbojet

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 18):
hear you - I'm just trying to give the pilots the benefit of the doubt

I hear you Richierich, I would to.

EWRATC

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting B737900er (Reply 42):
And the ILS and autoland system?. Something doesnt sound right

your totally right it was the rotor gurder on the flux capcititor that went into redline and overheated coffe pot in the mid galley thats what they are not telling us. COA did not pay the ILS subcription on that 757 for 29 so it did not work. OH WAIT THERE IS NO ILS TO 29 THINK PEOPLE BEFORE YOU TYPE.
Contact Departure

Kevin777

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Arniepie (Reply 1):
This might put ideas in the LCC's on how to have a quicker turnaround time.

Hope MOL doesn't get any good ideas now....  Smile

Quoting Arniepie (Reply 1):
In all seriousness, this is some mistake to make

Sure is.

Quoting 764 (Reply 7):
OK, had there been other aicraft on the TWY, then it could have led to a catastrophe, but then the pilot most likely wouldn't have landed on it (as visibiloility was good).

Maybe had another a/c been on the taxiway, but had there been another plane approaching the taxiway, entering it after the 757s touchdown, it could have been a disaster. I guess you briefly look out the window when you enter a runway (with clearance) (wouldn't know though, I'm not a pilot), but coming onto a taxiway you have been given clearance to is different, I guess you wouldn't consider a plane landing on top of you.

You know how many times it happens, Southwest seems to have a problem in Seattle with it

Quoting ASMVPGOLD (Reply 31):
SEA has had it's share of 'taxiway landings' on the new taxiway built for the 3rd runway.

Know any details about SEA/WN??? What has the consequences been in those cases for the pilots (and maybe others)?

Kevin777
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

ulfinator

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 2):
Smile

II think the thing that makes this even more confusing is that the article said it was at night meaning that it should have been lit up like a christmas tree. If I am not mistaken taxiway lights are dramatically different than runway lights!

birdbrainz

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting Tjwgrr (Reply 39):
Watch this in replay mode beginning at 18:30 on October 28. The bird turning final for 29 is CO 1883. On the 5 mile range, you can clearly see 1883 shift to the right (north) just prior to touch down:

I saw that, and thanks for posting. He was only about a mile out when the shift occurred.

Very strange how he'd line up correctly, and then sidestep to a taxiway. Could it be that he mistakenly thought the green lights were white? The CVR will answer that question. Maybe the runway lights were turned down dim. Very unlikely, but possible.

Could it also be that the copilot lined up correctly, and the captain told him he lined up wrong? Being a relatively new hire and not wanting to question the captain, he just took his word for it. I know it's all speculation, but it's all we can do for now, and it's kinda fun to do.  Smile
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

IAHFLYR

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting EWRATC (Reply 46):
your totally right it was the rotor gurder on the flux capcititor that went into redline and overheated coffe pot in the mid galley thats what they are not telling us. COA did not pay the ILS subcription on that 757 for 29 so it did not work. OH WAIT THERE IS NO ILS TO 29 THINK PEOPLE BEFORE YOU TYPE.

highfive 

You're killin me dude!! Brilliant

Here all this time I was thinking maybe it was the home build backcourse NDB 29 approach with EFIS backup to a visual landing by the passenger in 1B on flight sim 10.

MD88Captain

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:58 am

Wow. That is a good one. But it has been done before and will be done again. You think those two just figured that well go home and no one will notice? Not confessing usually draws more heat than fessing up right away.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos