---ATL

Archie Bunker

RE: What Is Sud?

Mon Jul 10, 2000 6:01 am

Stretched Upper Deck

DL_Mech

RE: Aviation Mistakes In Movies.

Mon Jul 10, 2000 7:25 am

Delta Force with Chuck Norris has great shots inside a MOAF 707-139. The cockpit even shows placards with the planes' real registration, N778PA. Not many films are filmed inside an actual aircraft, but this is one of them.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

L1011

RE: Ground Control

Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:11 pm

I just saw "Ground Control." When they show the crash site from the 747 that crashes at the beginning, you can clearly see the tail of the Delta L-1011 that crashed at DFW. And the 737 that made the difficult landing at the end belonged to America West. You could see "311" under the nosewheel, which made it N311AW, a 737-300.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Marco

RE: For N863DA

Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:32 pm

IT WAS TAHITI YET THE ONLY PLANES I SAW WERE ALOHA AIRLINE PLANES... WHAT ABOUT AIR TAHITI NUI???? PLUS IT WAS ANOUNCED IN FRENCH THAT IT WAS FLYING TO NEW YORK, ALL THE WAY FROM TAHITI AND ON A B737, WHICH IS RIDICULOUS...I THINK THATS AN AVIATION MISTAKE
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Pacific

RE: Macro

Mon Jul 10, 2000 5:28 pm

According to the Great Circle calculator,

http://www.chicago.com/airliners/gc.html

a Tahiti-Honolulu-LAX-JFK is JUST possible assuming that it's a 733.

hisham

Mon Jul 10, 2000 6:25 pm

Talking about errors, Malaysian Airlines has been putting an add in Lebanese newspapers about upgrading their Beirut service from a 7772 to a 7474. But in the add's picture they show a 7473! No winglets, JT9D engines. I don't think they have 7473s, so probably the photo is computer designed.

Hisham.

Mon Jul 10, 2000 9:52 pm

In Tommy Boy, inflight (WHile everyone is definately in the air), they show the aircraft flying with its landing gear out...

Qantas 747

JetService

Tue Jul 11, 2000 12:49 am

The produders generally hire industry professionals to look for mistakes and advise on accuracy. Obviously, they feel aviation issues aren't worth the trouble. I disagree, I'm not a professional by any means, but these mistakes really bug me. They do the same thing with cars a lot. They could at least substitute comparable aircraft like a DC10 for an L-1011 or a Boeing for an Airbus counterpart, making sure at least the location and number of engines is consistant. When they switch a 747 for a 727, I mean come on! You don't have to know anything to realize that last plane had engines on the wings. Anyway, speaking of planes and media, during the opening theme of The Sopranos, 2 aircraft can be seen taking off. I think they are a B727 and an MD80. Anyone know for sure? Its tough, they are very distant and appear for a few seconds. Considering the show takes place in NJ, I suspect these aircraft are taking off from Newark. Anyone?
"Shaddap you!"

fanofjets

Tue Jul 11, 2000 1:08 am

The worst offenders are the US made-for-TV films. To illustrate, let me offer the following gem: SST: Death Flight (1977).

The supersonic transport (actually a cardboard cutout) resembles a Convair B-58 with its sleek ramjets replaced by high-bypass turbofans on pylons. The quality of the aeronautical props is rivalled by that of the doomed jet's intrepid crew, mostly cast-offs from TV classics like the Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island. The film's saving grace: during a preflight check were are treated to a genuine Rolls-Royce RB211 and part of its owner's port wing.

My favorite movie starring an airplane? Airport (the original one), with honorable mention to the episode of Twilight Zone in which a ghost appears outside a DC-7.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

rapo

Tue Jul 11, 2000 5:05 am

I know this isn’t airliner related but I once saw afterburners on a F117 Stealth Fighter in some Steven Segal action flick (I don’t remember the name). The whole point being that the plane was designed to have a reduced heat signature. That’s right up there with the tire screeching noises while driving on dirt in the Dukes of Hazard.

rapo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos