Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

globetrotter
Topic Author

Does Your Airline Of Choice Dominate Your Airport?

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:05 am

I'd be interested to hear from frequent travelers (business/leisure) how they selected their airline of choice. Was it simply a factor of the airline that dominates your local airport? If you live in a hub city, do you purposefully cross carriers? For example, are there any residents of ATL out there who purposefully DON'T fly Delta? ORD and United? DTW and Northwest? The theory I'm testing, with no scientific evidence whatsoever to back it up  , is that most people will go with the most convenient airline, even if it means putting up with some poor service sometimes. Thanks for your comments.

Bicoastal

RE: Does Your Airline Of Choice Dominate Your Airport?

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:13 am

I live in two cities, Washington, DC and San Diego. United has the only non-stops from Dulles. I can't complain at all. As a very frequent flyer, they treat me very well and my travels elsewhere allow me to take advantage of United's Star Alliance partners. It's a great system. I've flown AA and Delta a few times across country but I'd rather build miles on only one airline, and I'd rather take the non-stop. Atlanta, Chicago and Dallas can be a real pain.

Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:20 am

I take time out of my way NOT to fly US. I live near PHL, and I have hated them for years. Last year, I could have taken US to SEA, but for a little higher fare, I flew DL PHL-CVG-SLC-SEA-SLC-ATL-PHL just to avoid US. I hate their dirty planes, gate hogging*, predatory pricing^ a**!

*not sure if this is true, but I heard that they extended the turnaround time on several flights to get those two gates in D @ PHL to block out competitors better.

^look at AirTran to FL, Nat'l to LAS

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:20 am

I lived in Dallas for 20 years so I have a lot of miles with AA. I moved to NY/NJ (EWR) but I still prefer to fly AA over CO for several reasons, but primarily for the miles.

TriStar500

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:26 am

I am living in the Duesseldorf, Germany (DUS) area. Since most of my travels take me to western and northern European destinations (predominantly in France, the British Isles and Spain) plus some North American ones, Air France and Continental Airlines have become my airlines of choice.

CO because of its convenient nonstop to EWR and good network in the Americas.
AF because of its vast network in the three aforementioned European focus countries of my travels.

Both offer me good fares and a great frequent flyer programm (Frequence Plus).

Oh, and I don't like LH very much, but that is more an emotional thing and not really based on hard business facts.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

blink182

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:27 am

about 85% of the time, I fly AA since i live in dallas and AA flies just about everywhere from DFW but just for the bragging rights, I may fly on another carrier if i can get advantage miles on it(oneworld,cooperative service) or if all of the flights are booked(thats why you have to book early in dallas because everybody flies AA)
and they have great service but if I lived in chicago,i would probably not fly UA since there service isn't that great,
A- if a good airline has a hub at your home airport,more than likely you would fly it,
b-if it is bad carrier that has the hub,you would probably make a connection(if it is not that expensive) but i would go with b if i have a bad airline with the hub but i am lucky i have A since AA rocks,i fly them just about anywhere.
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

MD-90

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:33 am

I live near HSV, so it's my home airport. I'd say that Delta and Comair together have the majority (51%) of flights, maybe. We've only got 10 gates, plus 2 Comair CRJ parking spaces. Yet American's got 2 gates, American Eagle 1, Continental Express 1, Northwest Airlink 1, and US Airways 1. Delta either has 4 gates or American has 3, I don't remember. We always fly Delta because their ATL hub is convenient on the way to Hartford (my parents are divorced and I fly to Hartford fairly often). An MD-88 to ATL, then a cramped 727/757 to Hartford. But on the way back we take Delta's Sunday morning 767-300ER, which is a very comfortable airplane. Or you can take a CRJ to CVG and an MD-88 or 767-300ER to Hartford. Delta has good airplanes (MD-88s!) and a convenient hub, which is why we fly them.

Ryefly

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:39 am

I have three choices. I live in Raleigh 90% of the time so I take Midway a lot. There are many other choices however so its not a great example. So, the other 10% of the time I am in Winston Salem because my family lives there. So we usually go to Charlotte where US Airways rules. I like them, and the airport so its not a problem for me. My third choice is taking a flight out of RDU or GSO down to ATL on Delta. Not a long flight to make a connection, and its a good airline. Its my third choice because the airport is often delayed due to all the traffic.

drerx7

In Houston...

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:56 am

I usually travel Continental and Southwest. If I am travelling out of Texas I usually take Continental because of the service and Onepass miles. If I travel within Texas or to MSY I take Southwest because of their convenient flights at Hobby Airport. However, I do like taking the Continental 757s on IAH-MSY.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

pitflyer

US In PIT

Sat Jul 08, 2000 5:34 am

Yes. I started off flying United in Pittsburgh, mainly because they offer cheaper fares and I actually had to go to DC and NY often enough (where United flies nonstop too). I had four TERRIBLE experiences in a row, and since then I've sworn off ever flying them (I'd rather walk a thousand miles, and walk a thousand more).

I then switched to the more expensive USAirways, and while I don't like paying more, I know all sorts of tricks to avoid the fares, and the service is excellent. Of course, now that Wolf and management have sold USAirways (and Pittsburgh) down the river, I will be on the few, a 100,000 mile+ flyer a year, who does not fly on the hub airline if the merger comes to fruition.

To each his own!

Sat Jul 08, 2000 5:38 am

I live near NYC and fly UAL whenever possible. Much of this has to do with go to school out in Colorado, where United is king. However, I have always loved UAL, even before that. Continental would be my hub airline I suppose...and they are usually my second choice. I am closest to HPN (White Plains/Westchester Co.), as it's only 20 minutes from my house. I usually use the HPN-ORD as my route-to-hub flight, and go from there (when headed west bound). Of course it depends on what the fares are doing..which dictates whether I do a JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX or JFK to LHR, etc... I also will fly Star carriers such as SAS. Once I've met my mileage targets for the year, I will try other carriers for fun...maybe Air France, or Swissair this year....we'll see. But I love UAL!

Sat Jul 08, 2000 5:39 am

I live near NYC and fly UAL whenever possible. Much of this has to do with the fact I went to school out in Colorado, where United is king. However, I have always loved UAL, even before that. Continental would be my hub airline I suppose...and they are usually my second choice. I am closest to HPN (White Plains/Westchester Co.), as it's only 20 minutes from my house. I usually use the HPN-ORD as my route-to-hub flight, and go from there (when headed west bound). Of course it depends on what the fares are doing..which dictates whether I do a JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX or JFK to LHR, etc... I also will fly Star carriers such as SAS. Once I've met my mileage targets for the year, I will try other carriers for fun...maybe Air France, or Swissair this year....we'll see. But I love UAL!

klwright69

Sat Jul 08, 2000 5:48 am

Interesting.

Here in DEN, on yesterday's front page of the Denver Post, there was a huge article on how UA, our hub carrier, performed at the bottom of the barrel on every measure of customer satisfaction. (Baggage, bumping camplaints, ontime etc.) Yes, UA is king here. But it's easy not to fly on them. Besides UA there is Frontier and other competing carriers that provide alternative service to most markets. A talk show host spent three hours taking calls on UA, ranting and raving about how they dislike UA.

ZRH

Sat Jul 08, 2000 5:57 am

For me it is quite easy to answer. Zurich airport is a hub of Swissair. That is why I fly all the time on SR and Crossair and I love it.

Skyteam

Orlando

Sat Jul 08, 2000 6:02 am

I fly out of Orlando Int'l Airport, And Delta is the largest carrier at MCO. Delta is my favorite airline because of their route system, On-Time Arrival/Departure Time, Mostly Clean Aircraft, Widebodies, and Low Prices!!!

DELTA #1

txagkuwait

Sat Jul 08, 2000 6:26 am

I live about 60 miles North of Austin, so I guess we can call Austin's new Bergstrom Airport my "home" airport.

It is dominated by Southwest with American in a healthy second place.

Practically all of my flights in and out of Austin are on Southwest...to Kansas City, BWI, and California.

If I am on a tight schedule I will sometimes catch American Eagle from Killeen to DFW.

I am not trying to sound rude but Delta....on time....low fares...and baggage excellence all in the same sentence? What is SKYTEAM smoking?

I have two unused cash vouchers from the last two Delta flights I took...one was for $500 and one was for $350 so these were not inconsequential screw-ups. But I would prefer to wipe my butt with the paper they are printed on rather than set foot on a DL aircraft.

Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport or Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive are appropriate slogans for D-E-L-T-A.

[email protected]

RE: Klwright69

Sat Jul 08, 2000 8:52 am

To Klwright69:

So that explains it! No offense against Denver residents, but with the reputation of UA in DEN that you described, no wonder why UA's DEN segments are so hated by so many flight attendants. Seriously. Whether its LGA-DEN, ORD-DEN, LAX-DEN, or IAD-DEN, everyone loathes those Denver segments.

Why? The consensus is that the O/D passengers are notoriously the rudest, most demanding and attitudinal group of people in UA's network (unfair generalization I'm sure). From push-back all the way to taxi-in, there's never a dull moment on those DEN to ORD/LGA/BOS/LAX. How can we tell it's mostly DEN residents? Because these 'unruly passenger' experiences are NOT as frequent on other major routes such as LGA-ORD, ORD-MIA, LAX-ORD, or JFK-SFO. Ask any UA flight attendant.

Only involving DEN legs do we get most of our problem passengers even on relatively uneventful flights. It's as if the pax all deliberately place chips on their shoulders as soon as they enter the jet bridge. They stop smiling and laughing and go into unnecessary grouch mode as soon as they walk onto the aircraft. It's weird, I tell you.

...Someone should really look into why DEN's UA operations are so problem laden, unlike other bases.

Trvlr

Sat Jul 08, 2000 9:43 am

I live in SAN and no one airline dominates the airport although all of the majors and especially Southwest have respectable operations at the airport. I usually fly AA and WN.

Aaron G.

DFORD757

Sat Jul 08, 2000 9:57 am

My closest airport is ELM (Elmira, NY) The major carrier there is US Airways....but also has service with Northwest. I never liked US Air (back then) when I was a kid.....but love US Airways now. Service on it has improved 200% I think. US Airways is also the major carrier in ROC. All the local airports in my area has US Airways. I don't know if that is the reason why I like it so much though. I just do!!!!  

Sat Jul 08, 2000 10:04 am

My closest airport is DTW (Detroit-Metro).. The major carrier here is Northwest, or as most people in detroit call it, North"worst". They have the lions share here , but i guess it is to be expected because of the hub. Well, all the other airlines are crammed into one tiny terminal with not even a quarter of the gates that NWA has. Talk about a monopoly. Remember Reno Air?? NW drove them out of DTW with predatory pricing...Need I say more?

Bob

klwright69

Sat Jul 08, 2000 10:47 am

To [email protected]:

Thanks for the post! It gave me a good laugh. I would love to hear about some of your experiences, either by posting or email. Your story about Denver flyers is interesting. I believe you completely.

AC_A340

Sat Jul 08, 2000 11:22 am

My home airport is YWG. Air Canada (and connectors)is the dominant airline. I primarily fly them because they have the best domestic schedule. For flights to the US we always used to take NW because of the amount of flights to MSP. But since AC now flies to ORD 6? times a day, we may start taking them simply to stick with one airline so we can build up Aeroplan miles.

desertjets

Sat Jul 08, 2000 1:34 pm

now that I have 2 homes I have two home airports, Phoenix Sky Harbor and Tucson International. I usually fly out of PHX b/c it is almost always AT LEAST $100 cheaper... go figure. I am a OnePass member so it gives me a lot of options. So far my flying this year has been on America West and Continental.

Sky Harbor, while America West and Southwest are the two largest airlines the other majors all have large operations. AA,UA, and DL all operate around 30 daily departures... with NW,TWA, and US operating decent numbers as well. So there is a lot of choice if I wasn't after miles.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

VirginA340

Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:15 pm

At my area airports CO dominates EWR. AA, Delta and TWA dominates JFK, Delta and US Airways dominates LGA. I've really had no serious problems with these carriers and I will continue to fly them. CO and US Airways happens to be among my favs.
"FUIMUS"

nycank

Sat Jul 08, 2000 6:38 pm

In NYC no one airline dominates the city  . Airports yes. PanAm used to be
my international carrier of choice, and Eastern and Piedmont were great when
I was going to school at BOS, in getting me to JFK and DCA. Now all of them
are gone :-( DL picked up what ever was left of PanAm [Hey my watering hole
for a decade was also the watering hole of many PamAn folks too...McAnns
on 43rd & Vanderbilt]

I have FF wih DL (They inherited lots of PamAm's international routes as well
as Eastern Shuttle), AA gets me fast and quick into LHR (Once I did the mistake
of taking BA because of TOD, only to realize that I was not given credit fr JFK-LHR). AA dominates Carribean and the Islands from NYC - which I take
for trips during winter.

From NYC one can get to nearly most major airports in the world  , However
no one Alliance has satisfied my VFMDN IMHO.

nycank

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos