AV8AJET
Topic Author

DL's Scottish Service EDI/GLA

Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:12 am

I have had the pleasure of taking two round trip flights from ATL-EDI on J class. The service is excellent and I was extremely happy to have it. I want to ask you what you think will happen in the near future. I am slightly concerned that when DL gets the ex TW/AA 752ER's that this service will be switched from ATL to JFK, or they will discontinue it and start 752ER from JFK to GLA. I always hoped for ATL-GLA but EDI is the next best thing. I was told from the agents in EDI that the ATL loads were extremely high even in to the end of October with load factors up to 100% even some days well over 100% with people being left behind. If I had my way I would shift the EDI flight to JFK with the 752ER and start a 763ER flight from ATL-GLA (please!) Oh well, sorry this is long and speculative but what do you think???
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

dogfighter2111

RE: DL's Scottish Service EDI/GLA

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:11 am

Well you have sort of answered your own question, the EDI flight especially a B763 with 100% loads and sometimes overbooked then why would they withdraw the service?

DL could start EDI/GLA-JFK but the decision of where to start that one would be rather difficult, considering both have a New York.

Thanks
Mike

SLCUT2777

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting AV8AJET (Thread starter):
If I had my way I would shift the EDI flight to JFK with the 752ER and start a 763ER flight from ATL-GLA (please!)

EDI-JFK on a 752 is probably a pretty safe bet since markets such as EDI are what DL would like to better serve, and the ETOPS certified 752 can do this within market reality, as well as SLC/West Coast to/from Hawaii operations (SLC-HNL will likely remain a 763/764 however). As for the 763ER staying on ATL-GLA, it all depends upon if there aren't any higher yielding routes DL wishes to try to Europe since the 763ER/764ER are the only air frames really available for these routes. Keep in mind DL has a shortage of wide-body as well as narrow body mainline aircraft for the immediate future until late next year and early 2008 when more 738s and some 772LR's start to arrive.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

ScottishLaddie

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:19 am

I think we will see JFK-EDI once the B752s come online and quite possibly ATL-GLA at some point in the future as well if the EDI service keeps performing so well.
Out of interest what were the loads on your flights?

AV8AJET
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 3):
Out of interest what were the loads on your flights?

I left on October 15th from ATL and it was fairly empty, but about 90% full in J class but Y was empty, about 100 seats open.

Coming back on the 26th J was full, only two empty but again Y had about 100 empty seats.

This was right before DL changed to the winter schedule of 5x times weekly. They said in EDI they weren't worried about the loads since the summer did very well and that the cargo traffic has also been strong.

The flight over to EDI was also interesting, at a few hundred feet from touchdown in EDI we did a missed approach, according to the Captain there was an aircraft still on the runway. With the light load we climbed like a bat outta [email protected]#!!!

ScottishLaddie

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:54 am

Thanks for that, glad to hear that the biz class cabin is full on a regular basis then it seems, which goes against what a lot of doubters of this route have been saying without actually having anything to prove this.
Indeed I have seen for myself the amount of cargo the B763 is carrying and I'm sure if must be making them plenty $$$$ on cargo alone looking at the volume that has come off everytime I've seen it.

DTWAGENT

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:57 am

I hope DL's 752ER are better then USAirways. Both planes were not kept up well on the inside and they did not have any First/Envoy class service. And the seats. If you had 31" you were lucky. The seats even need to be redone. I like US but if I go over seas again. I will have to think twice about taking US.

Chuck

1337Delta764

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 6):
I hope DL's 752ER are better then USAirways.

The ex-TWA 757s that Delta is acquiring are fairly young. They have the same style PSUs that most of Delta's newer 757s and all of Delta's 737-800s have, only gray instead of white. The aircraft will likely be getting new cabin lighting, and may possibly get the fluorescent No Smoking/Fasten Seat Belt/Lavatory signs that many of Delta's refurbished aircraft have. The aircraft will feature four rows of BusinessElite. Economy class will have new leather seat covers.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

AV8AJET
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 7):
Economy class will have new leather seat covers.

Any chance these planes will get the inseat IFE that the ex-Song planes have? From what I understand these have the flip down LCD screens. I would imagine that at least BizElite will have individual IFE.

panamair

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting AV8AJET (Reply 8):
Any chance these planes will get the inseat IFE that the ex-Song planes have? From what I understand these have the flip down LCD screens. I would imagine that at least BizElite will have individual IFE.

The 13 ex-TW/AA 752s are supposed to get the song-type AVOD PTVs in both cabins.

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 5):
Thanks for that, glad to hear that the biz class cabin is full on a regular basis

Not necessarily all with real revenue J pax. A full J cabin just by sight doesn't mean much as there could be quite a few non-revs (who mostly end up in J). Sounds though that cargo is helping a lot....

Comeflywithme

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Don't like the look of those load figures for October makes me wonder what the winter loads will be like.

Although cargo is good I never knew a route to survive on cargo alone.

Let's hope it survives once the Government subsidies end.

AV8AJET
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 9):
The 13 ex-TW/AA 752s are supposed to get the song-type AVOD PTVs in both cabins.

Great news! That should make the flights a little more comfortable, now if they can get the weight issue worked out and get a AVOD PTV's on the 763ER's!!!

Argonaut

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 3):
think we will see JFK-EDI once the B752s come online

I certainly hope so...I travel BWI--EDI and back about twice a year, and would like to use DL, but obviously it would be silly and much longer to do BWI--ATL--EDI...

Recently I've been using CO via EWR. In the past, mostly I flew FI to GLA with a change in KEF (my actual destination means both EDI and GLA are viable for me, although EDI is preferable.)

Those US airlines seeking out point-to-point destinations in the UK deserve full marks! How long have we Scots been pleading for services that by-pass LHR?
'the rank is but the guinea stamp'

1337Delta764

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting AV8AJET (Reply 11):
Great news! That should make the flights a little more comfortable, now if they can get the weight issue worked out and get a AVOD PTV's on the 763ER's!!!

Unfortunately, those plans have been scrapped. Once those 767-300ERs are replaced by 787s, then we may see PTVs on Delta's entire transatlantic fleet.

[Edited 2006-11-08 20:23:37]
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Comeflywithme

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting Argonaut (Reply 12):
Those US airlines seeking out point-to-point destinations in the UK deserve full marks! How long have we Scots been pleading for services that by-pass LHR?

Well said.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos