Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aero0729
Topic Author

Delta Domestic First Class

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:54 pm

As a Delta Platinum Medallion, I have spent many hundreds of hours in Delta First. Some paid, some free. Overall, I find their first class service to absolutely pitiful. There is only food on flights over 4 hours and when they do serve food, it is outright terrible. They present the meal with plastic cutlery even on 6 hour domestic flights and there is absolutely no metal cutlery or food choices. Snack flights pack the same bean salad on every flight. Does anyone else have the same disgust? Other airlines especially Continental offer meals on flights over 1.5 hours, better presentation and better food. If anyone knows of Delta upgrading their domestic first service, please let me know!!
Thanks!

vikinga346

RE: Delta Domestic First Class

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:08 pm

Not a surprise to anyone - probably why there aren't any replies yet.

Most US airlines are downright bad when it comes to food / first class quality. You need to go International to really have first be "worth it" if you're looking for some above average service in First class. Preferably, airlines like Emirates, British, Singapore, etc.. will be the best in the business.

I've flown Delta several times and each time I've hated it. I don't like Delta's service at all - just like you say, their food (on the rare occasion that they serve it) is bad, and it seems like every flight the crew is in a bad mood. I try to stay away from DL as much as possible.

I'm flying PHL-SLC later this month as a birthday gift to go skiing - I'm trying to influence the buyer to do US via PHX instead of DL nonstop to SLC. Although US isn't heaps better, they are slightly above DL in my opinion. If the price ranges weren't so drastic, I'd fly CO via IAH.

You're not the only one! If I were you, I'd spend those miles on a trip to Europe in First class and join another FF program!
...you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you shall return

B4REAL

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:11 pm

Aero0729:

First of all, welcome to Airliners.net.

In regards to your general dissatisfaction with DL's first class, I encourage you to find another airline that has service to your expectations. You may be satisfied with CO.

In defense of DL - and other domestic carriers on most routes, domestic first is really not worth the investment for a truly premium product. UA has it with the ps JFK-SFO/LAX. CO has good service and very similar equipping on similar aircraft types to DL and AA, but I'll nudge CO a little higher for generally cleaner aircraft and better staff (personal) service.

I am a 3x Platinum, 2x Silver, Now Gold Medallion, and DL is my favorite airline. I'm hard on them when I need to be, and stick up for the widget when I see fit. Now is one of those times.

If DL could offer a premium first class cabin for domestic operations, it would be maybe 4 seats on a 737-800. No Medallion upgrades, bring back the exclusiveness of the premium cabin, even going DAB-ATL. Not going to happen, unfortunately. Most Medallion members (myself included) would choose the free upgrade with the product as it is - to your opinion of it's quality - over a no free upgrade program.

Take AA on the other hand. No free upgrades, but in so many markets - ORD/DFW/MIA - the premium cabin is packed and a free upgrade program like NW/CO/DL would never work. ATL has the same effect. You could literally have a 763's F-class cabin full of Platinum medallion on a Monday morning ATL-SFO (or many other routes) flight - with some on the waitlist.

So with that being said, I think DL is doing the best they can for the situation they are in now. Long live the widget.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

aero0729
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:33 pm

Im silver on CO and NW. They offer unlimited free upgrades and a nice prosduct when it comes to meals and service. CO especially has excellent meal service within the US. I am not sayind Delta needs to be spectaculr, I am saying even on their Platinum Medallions, they can spend a few bucks and serve is in a glass! or atleast a warm muffun and some fruit on short routes in the mornin!!!

panamair

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Quoting VikingA346 (Reply 1):
I've flown Delta several times and each time I've hated it. I don't like Delta's service at all - just like you say, their food (on the rare occasion that they serve it) is bad, and it seems like every flight the crew is in a bad mood. I try to stay away from DL as much as possible.

I've been Platinum with DL for 15 years now and let's just say that their crews are by far some of the friendliest and most eager to please of US carriers. Of course there are bad apples here and there (when you have 11,000 FAs) but overall, I can count on one hand the number of them I have encountered over the past 15 years.

If the price ranges weren't so drastic

There you go...at the end of the day, it's about price...you can go on b*tching all day long about service and yet at the end of the day you come back to an airline you say you despise...so tell me why the airline should spend a penny more if they can still get your bum in their seats despite their 'atrocious' service?

aero0729
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:31 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 4):
so tell me why the airline should spend a penny more if they can still get your bum in their seats despite their 'atrocious' service?

You obviously do not travel for business. When you pay higher fare classes, you expect more. You must do alot of flying on lowest fare tickets. I usually travel in full why or close to it. Either way, Delta has had a long time name for superb service and it is sad to see what happened to them. Bankrupt or not, you cannot short cut your high end travellers like they have. When I sit in First class on a 1300.00 fare and get served wine in a plastic cup, there is a problem.

panamair

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 5):
You obviously do not travel for business

Ha! Do you really want to play this game? Over 300,000 MQMs this year alone with 80% of those on Y, B, or M fares and the other 20% on A, I, and D fares. I don't travel for business or pay high fares?

I wasn't justifying paper placemats and plastic cups for those who pay $1300 on a full F fare - problem is there aren't too many people who do these days. I was using the other poster as a prime example of someone expecting Chateaubriand in First while paying the lowest fare possible. If we as passengers are trying to pay the least and get the most, why wouldn't an airline do the same - try to collect the most and offer the least? Trust me, if DL or any airline saw that plastic cups or paper placemats were indeed having a significant impact on their revenue stream, they would change. And maybe they will. However, I really haven't seen too many empty domestic F cabins on DL lately....

aero0729
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:51 pm

I agree with some of your points, but AA, UAL, CO, and even NW have decent first class service with proper glasses, cutlery and food service on almost all flights over 800 miles. When I need to fly on a leisure fare, I will choose Delta and get my free upgrade. From now on when I am paying full fare anyway, i will choose CO. There are many others I work with that do the same now. Yes Delta first cabins are full, but with free upgrades. If they offered a more competetive product, they oculd sell more seats up there and still offer unlimited free upgrades on a space available basis like CO and NW do. This may limit upgrades for Silver and some Gold i they were selling mroe seats, but thats makes more sense. They have lost my business for paying full fare in first until they fix things up, so you can see there is lost reveneue. Most companies allow you to book full fare first for travel over 4 hours, I can choose any airline.

halls120

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 4):

I've been Platinum with DL for 15 years now and let's just say that their crews are by far some of the friendliest and most eager to please of US carriers. Of course there are bad apples here and there (when you have 11,000 FAs) but overall, I can count on one hand the number of them I have encountered over the past 15 years.

I agree with the comment on DL crews. I've never experienced bad service on a DL flight, either in domestic first or in Y.

That said, their food service in domestic first is abominable. It makes UA's domestic first look good by comparison.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

aero0729
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:57 pm

Oh.. I agree too about Delta crews, they are awesome!

retrolivery

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 pm

On international sectors is where Deltas in-flight service product truly shines, especially with their recent improvements to the Y class product. the best thing is that they still have much more in store.
A3, AA, AC, AI, AK, AM, AP, AZ, B6, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, FL, FI, FR, KL, KM, LH, MA, MH, MS, OA, OK, OS, SR, TA, TG, U2,

tu154m

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:22 pm

Aero.................if you want any hope of having this corrected you need to contact DL.......not their outsourced call centers, but the real DL in ATL about this. Tell them how you feel and that you will fly someone else. Give them suggestions...........the more griping they hear from frequent traveles the more likely something will get done. NOTHING will get done just waiting for it!!!!!!
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

Pope

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:43 pm

I share your feelings. In fact, I regularly chose to fly out of Orlando on Song than out of my home town Gainesville through Atlanta on DL mainline, even though I could confirm a first class upgrade at the time of booking if I flew from Gainesville.

IMO Song's product was far superior than DL's first class mainline offering.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Alitalia744

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Well guys, sit back and relax and deal for a little while.

There's a wind of change that will be blowing through.

It only gets better from here  Smile
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

NWBOS

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 6):
Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 5):You obviously do not travel for business
Ha! Do you really want to play this game? Over 300,000 MQMs this year alone with 80% of those on Y, B, or M fares and the other 20% on A, I, and D fares. I don't travel for business or pay high fares?

I wasn't justifying paper placemats and plastic cups for those who pay $1300 on a full F fare - problem is there aren't too many people who do these days. I was using the other poster as a prime example of someone expecting Chateaubriand in First while paying the lowest fare possible. If we as passengers are trying to pay the least and get the most, why wouldn't an airline do the same - try to collect the most and offer the least? Trust me, if DL or any airline saw that plastic cups or paper placemats were indeed having a significant impact on their revenue stream, they would change. And maybe they will. However, I really haven't seen too many empty domestic F cabins on DL lately....

What's even worse is the folks that are paying full coach and sitting in coach, without even an empty peanut package to show for it. As long as the airlines are in financial trouble, don't expect inflight service to get any better.

Quoting Aero0729 (Thread starter):
Snack flights pack the same bean salad on every flight.

Maybe DL can enhance its service by having its f/a's pass out complimentary Beano during their pre-departure service.

bond007

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:11 pm

I wasn't justifying paper placemats and plastic cups for those who pay $1300 on a full F fare - problem is there aren't too many people who do these days.

The fact that few pay $1300 and many don't is largely irrelevant. First Class is 'supposed' to be just that...First Class. Whether you got that seat by spending 50K/yr on coach seats, or by purchasing one $1300 ticket really shouldn't come into it.

If we as passengers are trying to pay the least and get the most, why wouldn't an airline do the same - try to collect the most and offer the least?

It's called service, that's why.

However, I really haven't seen too many empty domestic F cabins on DL lately...

Right, but as you said, not too many people pay full FC fares anymore .... perhaps the reason for this is because it's no longer worth the $1300 price for plastic cups and crappy food!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

panamair

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting NWBOS (Reply 14):
What's even worse is the folks that are paying full coach and sitting in coach, without even an empty peanut package to show for it

Hey, but at least with Delta, the coach passenger will have at least an empty peanut package or an empty Biscoff cookie wrapper or an empty bag of Sun Chips or an empty Chesse and Crackers case, to show for it (and would have gotten those without spending any extra $$)  Smile

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 15):
perhaps the reason for this is because it's no longer worth the $1300 price for plastic cups and crappy food!

It's the chicken or the egg...perhaps people just don't see ANY value in paying $1300 for a domestic flight anymore even if there is glassware or chateaubriand.....people may be forced to pay $1300 on certain routes/airlines/flights and it may make them feel good temporarily that they got glass and silverware for it, but I have a slight hunch that most people will not willingly part with $1300 for glasses and china in a metal tube for a few hours.

panamair

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 7):
Yes Delta first cabins are full, but with free upgrades.

Depends on which routes and when. Markets such as ATL-LAX and ATL-LGA are often filled with real F-paying pax. (albeit at the 'A' fare) so much so that upgraders have a pretty miserable time getting up there. The ATL-LGA fare is only about $350 one-way while the ATL-LAX one-way runs about $500.

And no, before someone comes and reasons that DL has to resort to low 'A' fares because no one will fly their 'miserable' domestic F for anything more, the reason there are those 'A' fares in those markets is because of good ol' AirTran.

B4REAL

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:45 am

I wasn't justifying paper placemats and plastic cups for those who pay $1300 on a full F fare - problem is there aren't too many people who do these days.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  We have a winner.

Yes Delta first cabins are full, but with free upgrades. If they offered a more competetive product, they oculd sell more seats up there and still offer unlimited free upgrades on a space available basis like CO and NW do

When I need to fly on a leisure fare, I will choose Delta and get my free upgrade.

You make no sense - even in the same post. And if I read through your spelling error correctly, you want them to sell a better more competitive product - but you want it free.

Start your own airline.

kaukau

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:59 am

First class should be first class. Otherwise, re-name it.

aero0729
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 18):
You make no sense - even in the same post. And if I read through your spelling error correctly, you want them to sell a better more competitive product - but you want it free.

Start your own airline.

What I am saying is..when I fly for leisure(vacation) I will choose Delta because I can buy a coach seat and fly first class..but when it comes to paying full fare for business travel I will choose someone else who has a better F product. How does that not make sense?? No one wants to pay full fare for Delta First class. I just flew MCO-SJU 1200 miles 3 hours in first and got a miller lite. No second round of drinks....no food. That is not worth $475.00 one way, but hey for a free upgrade..I will take it. Also remember I spend 55-65 thousand per year flying Delta, so why shouldn't I expect better service??

isitsafenow

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 20):
Also remember I spend 55-65 thousand per year flying Delta, so why shouldn't I expect better service??

Now there is a strong statement a company cannot ignore.
If someone spends that much a year on air travel with one company, then one should expect more. If you dont get it, spend the money with someone else.
Its like buying any other commodity. If you dont like the service, take your act and your wallet up the street.
 dollarsign 
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

deltaownsall

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:00 am

If you think DL is bad...try US  Wink lol

Seriously though...I've always flown DL as much as possible, so maybe my opinion is skewed, but Im usually disappointed when I fly any other airline in the us. Granted, I went from SQ J to DL domestic first a couple times and god knows that was quite the drop off, but you cant compare domestic american products to international premium cabins.

Another thing...I really dont get people calling DL's F class things like 'miserable'. Outside of United's ps service, its pretty much exactly the same thing as any other us carrier. The only variables are crews (its really a lottery on any airline if youre going to get a good or bad one) and planes. As far as planes, DL has one of the better fleets as far as age; the product is very fresh and constantly renewed to stay modern, etc. I love how DL is taking the hit on the chin here for domestic first class in general. If you're expecting heaven then charter a jet or buy one, but I wouldnt reccomend changing airlines bc youll undoubtedly find the same issues.

woodsboy

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:51 am

Im a Delta Medallion flyer and have been for years, switched to DL when Western got gobbled up and I have been mostly loyal to DL except for the odd situation when I fly Alaska Airlines. As for DLs first class, I fly on the free upgrades and I am grateful that I can usually get first class (unless Im on a dreadful RJ). I'll admit, the first class ammenities have certainly gotten more basic but it seems to reflect the trend in the industry. I remember back in the early 90s on a Delta flight from through Juneau en-route to Fairbanks, the flight attendants actually got champaigne delivered to the aircraft in Juneau at the request of the woman sitting next to me, not just one bottle but 6. It was champaign, shrimp cocktail, salad, hot entree and ice cream with chocolate sauce and whipped cream followed by an appertif! Those days sure are gone!

Alaska Airlines first class does use metal cuttlery, glass wine glasses and porcelin plates but then serves you the exact same sandwich or salad they get in coach. Alaska doesnt serve too much food either but if you are on your way to or from Alaska you usually get something. The cuttlery does add to the look and feel of first class but the lousy food doesnt make up. At least on Delta now you get the Song style cocktails in First Class which are nice, as long as your flight is long enough.

Anyway, I like the free upgrades and I am not going to complain too much about whats offered in first class, the crew is almost always very nice and accomodating, no complaints there. So I keep on flying DL and I think they are offering a better product than a year or two ago, lets hope the trend continues.

RobertS975

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:56 am

There have been threads on FlyerTalk that have stated that DL intends to upgrade the FC and the coach amenities. I am a many year Platinum and I too miss the days of choice of entree, custom made sundaes etc.

aero0729
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 22):
Outside of United's ps service, its pretty much exactly the same thing as any other us carrier.

Not true!! Delta is the only US airline(maybe other than USAIR) that does not serve meals in first class on a regular basis. UA,AA, NW and CO all serve with real glass, and on flights as little as 2 hours. The point of the thread is so i could see how others's felt about DL service and get any input on future upgrades to FC on delta. I contacted Delta several times and have gotten generic responses. Other than the weak FC service, I do love Delta and hope they improve s I can continue flying them. Not that the meals are that great, but afetr a hard day, when you set in your seat to fly home and a meal is brought to you, it is a nice thing to have. There is something cool about dining while you fly, and some airlines to give quality food in their premium cabins in the US.
CO- Out of newark has BusinessFirst style meal service to the west coast. Delta gives the same chicken/manicotti meal one very flight to the west coast from all their hubs. The price on CO is usually cheaper too which is why I usually fly CO in full fare first over Delta.
If Delta wants to cut their service in first, thats fine...but their fares should be lower than the other airlines that have kept a more respectable level of service in their premium cabin.

Evan767

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:27 am

Did I hear somewhere that these upgrades are completely free? If you pay for a coach class ticket and get a free upgrade why do you expect such great service? Everyone in DL's F these days are medallions anyway so why make the product better?

Metal cutlery is coming back in case you didn't know, so no more bit**ing about that...

Delta flight attendants are the best in the US.

and it seems like every flight the crew is in a bad mood

What have you been smoking?

Can we please use the spellcheck as well?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

aero0729
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:43 am

That would be awesome if they are brining metal back..the plastic takes away from the experience!!! Ant the only reason why everyone is getting free upgrades is because the service is not worth paying for!!!

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 26):
id I hear somewhere that these upgrades are completely free? If you pay for a coach class ticket and get a free upgrade why do you expect such great service? Everyone in DL's F these days are medallions anyway so why make the product better?

Pope

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:52 am

Delta flight attendants are the best in the US.

redflag   redflag   redflag   redflag 

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

DL has some of the oldest, crabbiest, ugiliest flight attendants out there. Half of them act as they're doing you a favor when you ask them for something.

gte439u

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 13):
Well guys, sit back and relax and deal for a little while.
There's a wind of change that will be blowing through.
It only gets better from here

Do you care to tell us more? You've been right on with several posts before in regards to DL.

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 20):
Also remember I spend 55-65 thousand per year flying Delta, so why shouldn't I expect better service??

Why don't you fly another airline if you dislike DL so much? Have you considered purchasing pre-paid private airplane time? For example, with Marquis Jets, you can get 25 hours in a Citation for about $100k. You'll always get great service with Marquis, and you'll never have to endure the Delta that you dislike so much.

isitsafenow

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 28):
DL has some of the oldest, crabbiest, ugiliest flight attendants out there. Half of them act as they're doing you a favor when you ask them for something.

I think you have DL confused with Spirit. I have never flown Spirit but I know a few folks that have and they ALL echo your comments on DL but toward Spirit's inflight service.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

laca773

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:38 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 28):

Pope, I have to say, from all the times I've flown DL (and prior to the Western days), their service has been the most consistent in a positive way compared to AA, NW, UA. Their will always be a few bad seeds out there and in the air but when it comes down to positive consitency on the average, I have to say DL wins on that note (I'm also going by what I see to be the norm in regards to the experiences I've read on here and a couple of other sites).

DL is making a gradual effort to improve their inflight catering and experience. I'm looking forward to it and it seems the DL ground staff and cabin crews seem energized and upbeat about it. As time goes along I hope they do bring back the "RS" (royal service) in F. It's interesting to hear the bashing about DL first class catering as a flight of similar length on AA, LAX-ORD-LAX, you don't even get a hot meal. You get a nasty wrap which they have for sale in the back or a limpy cesar salad.

Quoting Aero0729 (Thread starter):

Aero, I have to agree with some other's that you need to call DL again, but not some generic office where they will send you a form letter, but call the executive offices in ATL. I have a feeling you will get somewhere with them and they will listen.

LACA773

jcavinato

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:53 pm

It's been years since I've been on Delta. But maybe they should no longer use the term First Class, and instead use SBTC (slightly better than coach).  Wink

Well, it's a $13 billion company with expenses that are still about $15 billion. Can't chop off parts of wings or fly with fewer tires, so food is one of those variables the accountants will go after month after month in the quest to cut existing costs farther. Problem is, as Voltaire said, "accountants know the cost of everything but the value of very little."

aero0729
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:25 pm

Quoting Jcavinato (Reply 32):
accountants know the cost of everything but the value of very little

Well put!

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 31):
Aero, I have to agree with some other's that you need to call DL again, but not some generic office where they will send you a form letter, but call the executive offices in ATL. I have a feeling you will get somewhere with them and they will listen.

I could not get a number for a corporate office where you could actually speak to somebody! Does anyone have any idea how to reach a Delta corporate office?

Pope

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 31):
Pope, I have to say, from all the times I've flown DL (and prior to the Western days), their service has been the most consistent in a positive way compared to AA, NW, UA.

How often do you fly DL? I can only speak from my experiences but I do between 90,000 and 110,000/yr with them for the past 9 years.

bond007

Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:11 pm

Did I hear somewhere that these upgrades are completely free? If you pay for a coach class ticket and get a free upgrade why do you expect such great service? Everyone in DL's F these days are medallions anyway so why make the product better?

You really don't get it!

It's totally irrelevant how you get a First Class seat ... it's a level of service which is not (and should not) be based on how much you paid for the base ticket. So only 2 out of the 16 FC pax paid full fare and the rest upgraded, so we'll give those 2, and only them, the champagne and caviar ... the rest can have crappy service because they didn't 'pay' for it anyway (but of course they did indirectly).

They expect such great service because it's FIRST CLASS.

If the attitude is that nobody pays for FC, and it's unimportant to give people who upgrade any better service, then get rid of FC altogether - it's simple. Stick in 12 more extra seats and you solve the problem ...BUT, if First Class exists ... keep it a higher class of service.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

DLPMMM

Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting Jcavinato (Reply 32):
Well, it's a $13 billion company with expenses that are still about $15 billion.

You just lost all credibility with that statement, as DL is now profitable, even after adnimistrative expenses.

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
How often do you fly DL? I can only speak from my experiences but I do between 90,000 and 110,000/yr with them for the past 9 years.

Well I fly more than you do (almost 2 million miles on DL with over 125K MQMs so far this year and another Asia trip to go before December) and LACA773 is absolutely correct about DL's FAs. They are consistantly the best (better than CO's nasty EWR staff, better than the old hags at UA, much better than the surly US FA's at PHI...) In fact DL international FA's are better than most other international airlines FA's.

If they are cold to you, maybe is says more about your personality than anything else.

Alitalia744

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting Gte439u (Reply 29):
Do you care to tell us more? You've been right on with several posts before in regards to DL.

They're working on ways to improve consumer perception of their in-flight experience.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

atlflyer

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:18 am

Delta is planning to upgrade their food selections in Domestic FIRST and Economy.

“While initially launching with state-of-the-art entertainment and signature cocktails, Delta’s new transcontinental product will soon feature distinctive food choices for customers in the first class cabin, as well as a food-for-sale program for passengers in the main cabin and exclusive, unique entertainment programming.”

deltagator

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:38 am

I'm someone who has consistently been Gold Medallion for the last 10 years (will finally make Platinum this year) and I have to say the "stuff" you get in First has gone downhill but I've seen it across the board with other domestic airlines.

I've flown First on Delta, United, and Continental this year and in my opinion there was not one thing that totally stood out between them. They all had meals, those meals were all halfway decent and didn't kill me, and the seat was comfy.

CO and UA both had warm peanuts which is always nice but then UA didn't serve booze before the flight. CO served booze but never refilled it before takeoff while I got three drinks down on DL a few times. (Don't ask, it was a long day.)

UA didn't have any PTVs but DL did on the new 757 product and the 764s. CO only had them on the international configured 757 I took from IAH to SFO but on no other planes I've been on.

The one thing I have seen where Delta lacks is the use of plastic cups and "silver"ware which , while a very small thing in life, does bug the crap out of me because I remember the glory days of getting real knives and such to eat a meal instead of the plastic spork that can't hold liquids, cuttough meat, or stab veggies.

It's all relative if you ask me. The service levels of the "stuff" we expect in First have gone downhill but you can chalk that up to Southwest and the other LCCs out there who have convinced people $99 and a bag of peanuts is all they should expect on a flight. In the end the stewardesses/stewards still make or break the flight and I think Delta shines there. UA and CO were fine, well mannered, and not surly but on DL they (at least to me) make you feel at home and will strike up a conversation with you unlike the others and call you things like Sweetie and Honey.

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 33):
I could not get a number for a corporate office where you could actually speak to somebody! Does anyone have any idea how to reach a Delta corporate office?

Right on the webpage under Contact Us.

http://www.delta.com/help/contact_us/corporate_information/index.jsp

Address: Delta Air Lines, Inc.
1030 Delta Boulevard
Atlanta, GA 30320-6001

Phone: 404-715-2600
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

aviateur

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:56 am

Yeah, well, welcome to air travel in the USA, 2006. This is nothing specific to Delta, as domestic first class, on all but the longest flights, is really just an academic experience nowadays. A bigger seat and some bottled water.

However, things are improving.

And it's not just the simple coorelation of profit = good service. The service slide in this country began well prior to the industry's problems of the last few years. It was a long, slow devolution. A cultural thing, for lack of a better term.

Here's what I had to say on the matter in my weekly column back over the summer....

Service. Onward and upward with the airlines we love to hate:
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2006/07/21/askthepilot195/

Service. It’s the bottled water, stupid:
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2006/07/28/askthepilot196/
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

A340600

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 2):
If DL could offer a premium first class cabin for domestic operations, it would be maybe 4 seats on a 737-800. No Medallion upgrades, bring back the exclusiveness of the premium cabin, even going DAB-ATL. Not going to happen, unfortunately. Most Medallion members (myself included) would choose the free upgrade with the product as it is - to your opinion of it's quality - over a no free upgrade program.

But that completely avoids the point of F, people are supposed to, in the majority at least, pay for their seat.

Quoting Woodsboy (Reply 23):
It was champaign, shrimp cocktail, salad, hot entree and ice cream with chocolate sauce and whipped cream followed by an appertif! Those days sure are gone!

It's a shame considering that actually sounds like FIRST.

Quoting Woodsboy (Reply 23):
Anyway, I like the free upgrades and I am not going to complain too much about whats offered in first class

I believe this is one of the reasons the F product has become so watered on DL, too many free upgrades have completely diluted it.

The fact is First Class is First Class, it's shameful DL are allowed to call it that when you're served wine in a plastic cup and not given a meal on a 3.30 flight! Thank goodness you have different seats in the US because if you had converters over there like here then it might as well just be European economy!
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

deltagator

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 41):
But that completely avoids the point of F, people are supposed to, in the majority at least, pay for their seat.

And some would argue that business travellers making Platinum Medallion year after year are payign for it in more ways than one. I see your point but folks do pay for the seats in many ways beyond just straight cash for a seat.

I believe this is one of the reasons the F product has become so watered on DL, too many free upgrades have completely diluted it.

The same goes for any of the legacy airlines in the States. All of the product has been watered down regardless of the airline. Read my post above with the comparison between DL, UA, and CO. Some areas they shine, others areas they fall.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

aero0729
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:46 am

Hopefully they can find a hppy median so they can still offer free upgrades and increase the service quality a little bit!

Lufthansa

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 43):

How about using 5-abrest seating instead of 4 for First class and with the extra revenue generated use it to improve the standard of offerings in the front cabin.

Pope

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 36):
If they are cold to you, maybe is says more about your personality than anything else.

I never said anything about them being cold to me. I said that they are old and ugly and seem to be crabby. I'm a low maintenance traveller. I sit down and typically go to sleep without as much as asking for a meal headed Eastward to Europe.

Coming back home, I plug in my laptop and typically work the entire time back.

TACAA320

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:38 am

Delta Domestic First (by FURUREFA Apr 5 2004 in Civil Aviation)
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Reggaebird

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:21 am

I am a Delta Platinum member and I am perfectly happy with Delta's domestic First Class product. When I fly domestically on flights under 2 hours, I don't need to be fed a sumptuous meal. I do, however, want a spacious seat where I can be comfortable and productive. I also want attentive, courteous and friendly attendants who will accomodate my needs. On flights over 2 hours, I always seem to get a meal that is appropriate for the time and distance of travel. For example, on yesterday's flight from Atlanta to Boston I was served a perfectly fresh and tasty chicken wrap and a cucumber/tomato salad. On their longer flights, I even get a choice of meals sometimes. Not bad at all for a carrier that is reviving and re-inventing itself through bankruptcy. Delta's international BusinessElite service is significantly better and expected to improve as the new suite seating and other service enhancements come online.

Due to my business travel, I am 1K with United, Gold with Northwest and Platinum with USAirways. However, whenever I can make decisions about my travel arrangements, I always check with Delta first because of the excellent care given to me by their genuinely friendly staff. That makes more of a difference to me than some fancy meal or metal cutlery.

Reggaebird

Coincidentally, yesterday's flight from Atlanta to Boston made me Platinum again for 3/07-2/08.

Silver764

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:40 am

I couldn't agree with you more Reggaebird. and love the free upgrades especially last night LGA - ATL with all the delays was nice to get the upgrade and stretch out.

I have done some recent BizElite International flights and found the food / service spectacular. Nice choice of meals, proper silverware, not plastic and real glasses.

B4REAL

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 am

That is my point, DL does not sell many F seats - so if they had the number commensurate with the sales - it would be very small. And then the service would match. But, unfortunately - the free upgrades that we have come to enjoy - and expect (myself included) have devalued the seats up front.

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 47):
For example, on yesterday's flight from Atlanta to Boston I was served a perfectly fresh and tasty chicken wrap and a cucumber/tomato salad.

BOS is an exception along with LGA and JFK. They are not applicable to DL's rules of 4 hours of flight for a meal. BOS-CVG is the same way.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos