Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLPMMM

RE: Delta Domestic First Class

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 45):
I never said anything about them being cold to me. I said that they are old and ugly and seem to be crabby

Whereas for most everyone else in this thread, the DL F/As are much more friendly and attentive than on the competition. I don't know why you seem to get the dregs.

laca773

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:51 pm

I will say it again, Delta has the most positive, friendly upbeat FA's compared to other carriers on a consistant basis.

I think this thread is very important. Maybe some can call the powers that be at DL & have them take a look at this post. I believe they will find it quite enlightening.

LACA773

deltagator

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 50):
I don't know why you seem to get the dregs.

I think Pope flies a fair amount out of Orlando instead of Hoggtown (Gainesville.) As someone who has flown that route countless times I think I would be grumpy and bitchy if I had to put up with all those screaming bastard kids on their way to the Mouse House.

I once witnessed a French kid (not picking on the Frogs mind you) beat the daylights out of a stewardess' legs when she told him to put away his tray table for takeoff. His dad sat there and did nothing except calmly ask the kid to stop while he continued to slap and hit at her legs. I'd be grumpy as well putting up with that crap.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

B4REAL

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:26 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 52):
I will say it again, Delta has the most positive, friendly upbeat FA's compared to other carriers on a consistant basis.

Well put, LACA773. When DL is on, no one can beat them. I have suggested removal of reply 51.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

tommy767

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Quoting Kaukau (Reply 19):
First class should be first class. Otherwise, re-name it.

DING! We have a winner! Bottom line, if you're paying for it, you should expect above average service. I think its pitiful how airlines have this bullshit rule where certain flights under certain hours should NOT expect any food in F class. For christ sakes, WHY ON EARTH would you advertise that on you're website???

Pure evidence that service really has deteriorated since the 90s.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

B4REAL

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 55):
For christ sakes, WHY ON EARTH would you advertise that on you're website???

That is advertised as such so that there is no misconception of expectation.

aero0729
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting B4real (Reply 54):
I have suggested removal of reply 51.

uhhhh.. its the truth Delta is the best, but there are still some out there that do not seem to be so happy

BNinMSY

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Doesn't help when you pay for a First Class ticket and then Delta hands you a coach boarding pass in Atlanta to West Palm Beach yesterday that says 33B and no explanation. Notice the seat on the jetway as boarding and discovered they subbed a Song 757 .. all coach. No apology, no refund, no explanation ... of course there was all out war on-board the aircraft with the first class pax discovering they had been bumped.

Ridiculous ... won't be booking with Delta again ... horrible customer service.

Coach ride was ok .. but I paid nearly double the price to fly First because I'm 6'4". I had to stand up for most of the flight. Flight attendants nice about it.

But never again!

deltagator

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 pm

What was your fare class? Are you Medallion with DL? (I'm guessing no.)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

BNinMSY

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:21 am

booked in A, not medallion with Delta paid $837.30 for two tickets.

Pope

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 50):
Whereas for most everyone else in this thread, the DL F/As are much more friendly and attentive than on the competition. I don't know why you seem to get the dregs.

I fly a lot of Biz E internationally. This means that the FA's who successfully bid those trips/cabins are typically pretty senior. Ergo, they're old, their looks have left them and they're typically quite crabby.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

LH417AF025

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:32 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 5):
You obviously do not travel for business

you obviously don't either....

I usually travel in full why

is "why" a new class of service im not aware of?

Yeah sure

BNinMSY

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:43 am

Ha... I just got off the phone with Delta and they tell me I bought a coach fare for $800+, yet when I purchased the ticket I looked at coach fares and they were about $400 back in May (when I purchased the ticket). Delta tells me that they will not refund the difference or make any adjustments.

Delta has just gotten my last $. Just booked my return home on AA from Miami nonstop on a real airplane.

BNinMSY

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:51 am

Ha... I just got off the phone with Delta and they tell me I bought a coach fare for $800+, yet when I purchased the ticket I looked at coach fares and they were about $400 back in May (when I purchased the ticket). Delta tells me that they will not refund the difference or make any adjustments.

Delta has just gotten my last $. Just booked my return home on AA from Miami nonstop on a real airplane.

Pope

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 53):
I think Pope flies a fair amount out of Orlando instead of Hoggtown (Gainesville.) As someone who has flown that route countless times I think I would be grumpy and bitchy if I had to put up with all those screaming bastard kids on their way to the Mouse House.

Na. Most of my flying is out of GNV. The GNV-ATL flight is ASA. FA's out of GNV are ok - though because of the short hops, they are usually really tired by the end of the day. It just seems that the better the route is from a FA perspective (i.e. nice destination, long-haul) the worse the FA is.

B4REAL

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:47 am

For BNinMSY's situation, I'll agree that there should be a remedy by the airline if you are booked in paid first class and they sub you to Y.

aero0729
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting LH417AF025 (Reply 62):
You obviously do not travel for business

you obviously don't either....

101000 MQM 2006 85000 of that is Business..

I usually travel in full why

is "why" a new class of service im not aware of?

Spell check did that

panamair

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 61):
I fly a lot of Biz E internationally. This means that the FA's who successfully bid those trips/cabins are typically pretty senior. Ergo, they're old, their looks have left them and they're typically quite crabby.

Most of my travel on DL is also international BizE (out of JFK) and though there are quite a few senior FAs, 95% of them are still very friendly, polite, professional, and always willing to help. BTW, old and 'ugly' does not mean crabby and bad service; there are plenty of young and pretty ones in this industry who can have an attitude problem as well.

aero0729
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:57 am

we need to bring back the hot flight attendents from the 70s...atleast in F!

kaukau

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:05 am

Ohhh, man, in the '50s......the criteria for selecting candidates for FA were the same as for choosing fashion models! Seriously!!!!!

Pope

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting Kaukau (Reply 70):
Ohhh, man, in the '50s......the criteria for selecting candidates for FA were the same as for choosing fashion models! Seriously!!!!!

The good old days.....

flyingdoc

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:38 am

As a multiple year Platinum Medallion, DLs first class product has deteriorated the past few years. Since NW and CO joined Skyteam and there is codesharing between the carriers, I have flown both CO and NW in first occasionally over the past couple of years. COs first class product seems to me to be better. For example, flew CO to HNL with DL on the return. On CO, had more legroom, served champagne before pushback, had a multiple course nice dinner on the flight. On DL, the flight was on the dreaded 764 (which has an awful F section), no preflight beverage service, and the meal was a "snack" which I think was some kind of chicken pizza. I still mostly fly DL as it is usually most convenient, but I think their F product is not competitive with others.

B4REAL

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting FlyingDoc (Reply 72):
For example, flew CO to HNL with DL on the return. On CO, had more legroom, served champagne before pushback, had a multiple course nice dinner on the flight. On DL, the flight was on the dreaded 764 (which has an awful F section), no preflight beverage service, and the meal was a "snack" which I think was some kind of chicken pizza. I still mostly fly DL as it is usually most convenient, but I think their F product is not competitive with others.

Put apples to apples here. Yes, the F on the 764 as DL equips it is poor. But, you were probably flying a red-eye - which has less of a chance of a full meal service. So, flying out you had meal service, unless you flew back on DL 1566, 850, or 1282 you would have only had snack. But, yes, if you had full meal service - it would not have been with a choice of items. So, you don't have a fair comparison of DL and CO.

I'm putting perspective to your statement - not trying to overturn it.

[Edited 2006-11-12 22:17:11]

LAXdude1023

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:52 am

Out of curiosity how easy is it to upgrade to First Class on DL on overseas trips? From what ive found out they say you have to be booked in Y,B,M class to upgrade. Thats crap. Thats like haveing miles you cant use for upgrades. Maybe im wrong. Someone enlighten me.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

aero0729
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:54 am

B4Real....you are wrong my freind. CO flies BusinessFirst style seats. CO has BusinessFirst style meals on HNL flights, and their red-eye service is way better than DL normal meal service. CO serves you with real china, metal and glass. DL on all flights to HNL uses plastic. Anytime of the day..CO outshines Delta's domestic F product...no matter what.

aero0729
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 74):
Out of curiosity how easy is it to upgrade to First Class on DL on overseas trips? From what ive found out they say you have to be booked in Y,B,M class to upgrade. Thats crap. Thats like haveing miles you cant use for upgrades. Maybe im wrong. Someone enlighten me.

You got it right. DL forces you to purchase Y, B or M for any type of upgrade. Even Platinum Medallions must purchase Y B or M to use their so called complimentary upgrades. On the other hand, it still saves you a few thousand dollars off full fare Business and you do get 150% MQM. You are better off using 90,000 miles for a sky saver RT BE to Europr if you can ever find one. 50,000 miles plus 1800.00 is not worth it to me to upgrade. Delta needs to re-think their upgrade policies for overseas fligts, especially for Medallion members.

aero0729
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:00 am

I forgot to add...this gives you no guarntee. Even with purchasing full fare econ...DL lmits those upgrades. They are EXTREMELY stingy. Check out CO H fares to South America...they have some great deals! I went RT to Sao Paulo for 992.00 form MCO. I got 150% mileage, and upgraded both ways!! Business First kills Business Elite as well!

srbmod

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 75):
CO outshines Delta's domestic F product...no matter what.

That may be true, but CO, like United, rapes you on the fare. I can get a cheaper first class fare on AA, HP/US or NW than I could on CO or UA. I've scoping out the fares from ATL-LAS-ATL and the round trip fares in first class on AA (via DFW or ORD, HP/US (via CLT or PHX), and NW (via MSP or DTW) were only about $20 more than what DL and FL are charging for their front cabin non-stop. CO (the lowest fare they have) wants close to $300 more than FL and DL and about $250 more than AA, US/HP, and NW. They have some other flights listed that want over $600 more than FL and DL. Who in their right mind would pay $1400 to fly ATL-IAH-LAS and back? And UA is even worse than that wanting over $2200, and it's on US metal (and US is only wanting a little more than $800 if you book it on their site).

aeroplan73

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 15):
Right, but as you said, not too many people pay full FC fares anymore .... perhaps the reason for this is because it's no longer worth the $1300 price for plastic cups and crappy food!

Not sure what distance $1300 will take you on a US domestic F class fare. Air Canada charges around $2800 return for J class between YVR and YYZ. Now that is a tough pill to swallow at any level of service.
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

B4REAL

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 74):
B4Real....you are wrong my freind. CO flies BusinessFirst style seats. CO has BusinessFirst style meals on HNL flights, and their red-eye service is way better than DL normal meal service. CO serves you with real china, metal and glass. DL on all flights to HNL uses plastic. Anytime of the day..CO outshines Delta's domestic F product...no matter what.

Wrong wrong wrong. I mention that DL equips the 764 poorly for domestic F. I'm not saying DL is better - in fact - I think CO would be better by the undisputables on this comparison - seat, meals, etc.

I'm just saying FlyDoc is comparing CO with dinner service to a DL red-eye with snack serve. That was omitted.

N766UA

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:26 am

First class on Delta is a seat and nothing more. Average runs like CVG-ATL or MCO-BOS yield nothing more than coach service and the longer stages can't even begin to compare to airlines like CO. I flew BOS-ATL last month in F on a 757, although it was technically J class because the flight continued on to Guatemala and we didn't even get a choice of snacks, just 2 bags of peanuts and a half can of pop. Pitiful.

aero0729
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:57 pm

I agree. Delta has no FC service..just a bigger seat.

panamair

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 75):
Delta needs to re-think their upgrade policies for overseas fligts, especially for Medallion members.

So now you want them to be more liberal on international upgrades and then later on berate them for what you call a 'lousy' product? I'm sure that when the flat beds arrive in 2008 and the number of seats are reduced,thus further limiting the upgrade opportunities, you will be b*tching at them once again for the inability to get upgrades even though you asked for a better product in the first place. This is fast turning into another one of those "let me have caviar and chateaubriand for $1" type threads...

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 76):
Business First kills Business Elite as well!

BS. While the CO BF seat on the 767s is wider than the DL BE 763 seat, DL and CO each have specific areas in BE and BF respectively they are better in; overall, they do not "kill" each other by significant margins.

aero0729
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 82):
This is fast turning into another one of those "let me have caviar and chateaubriand for $1" type threads...

If you do not like the thread do not post anything. And almost anyone would agree thay BusinessFirst is a superior product to BE.

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 82):
So now you want them to be more liberal on international upgrades

Yes. The other airlines arent as restrictive on using miles to Upgrade, however DL's domestic upgrade policy is great. Good to reward frequent fliers like that.

panamair

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 83):
If you do not like the thread do not post anything

Can't help it when posts/threads are laden with contradictions, and people talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 84):
Yes. The other airlines arent as restrictive on using miles to Upgrade, however DL's domestic upgrade policy is great. Good to reward frequent fliers like that.

Herein lies the problem ...people on the one hand complain about DL (or other US carriers) offering inferior or mediocre products and yet are unwilling to 'pay' for it through either higher fares or more restrictive upgrade policies...

B4REAL

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 85):
Can't help it when posts/threads are laden with contradictions, and people talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Herein lies the problem ...people on the one hand complain about DL (or other US carriers) offering inferior or mediocre products and yet are unwilling to 'pay' for it through either higher fares or more restrictive upgrade policies...

checkmark  RR click for you.

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:52 am

I myself am not picky about first class. All I care about is having a nicer seat with more room and a meal. Im not picky about it. I have flown DL first class once from ATL-CDG and I thought the service was just fine. Consequently thats one of 2 times ive ever flown First class. So that is why I have a hard time understanding why its so difficult to upgrade with miles on DL.

aero0729
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:36 am

When you fly over 100,000 mqm's, you feel as though you deserve some extra special treatment. I may not pay 1200.00 RT, but I have paid over the years of flying for my right to sit in first for free a few times and first should be first, not economy plus.

aero0729
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:51 am

Does anyone have any details about Delta upgrading their first class product?

flyingdoc

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 79):
Wrong wrong wrong. I mention that DL equips the 764 poorly for domestic F. I'm not saying DL is better - in fact - I think CO would be better by the undisputables on this comparison - seat, meals, etc.

I'm just saying FlyDoc is comparing CO with dinner service to a DL red-eye with snack serve. That was omitted.

You're right that the DL flight back from HNL was red eye; most of the flights back to the US are red eye. So, that part of my example may not have been totally comparable. But the space on the DL 764 vs the CO 777 is dramatically different, the service on CO was better, the service is with glass, not plastic. It is just a nicer upper class product.

And in general, I've flown both DL and CO in first class many times the past two years and my general point is still valid: the meal service on CO in first is MUCH better than DL first class. I still fly DL quite a lot (PM the past few years, including qualifying this year for next year as PM), but their first class product really deteriorated as they've gone through bankruptcy.

laca773

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 pm

[quote=Aero0729,reply=74]B4Real....you are wrong my freind. CO flies BusinessFirst style seats. CO has BusinessFirst style meals on HNL flights, and their red-eye service is way better than DL normal meal service. CO serves you with real china, metal and glass. DL on all flights to HNL uses plastic. Anytime of the day..CO outshines Delta's domestic F product...no matter what.
Aero0729,
As I recall, CO's flights to and from HNL are sold and catered as BF and not just F. That's why you will see such a difference in inflight service and catering. It's not fair to compare DL's domestic F product to CO's international BF product. They are two completely different products.

[quote=Aero0729,reply=83]If you do not like the thread do not post anything. And almost anyone would agree thay BusinessFirst is a superior product to BE.

AERO0729,

I apreciate that everyone has their opinions about each carriers inflight F/J product. That's to be expected. But as I hear this complaining going on and on and on, it seems like that with the amount of disatisfaction you have, it's time to move on to SkyTeam partner, CO permanently.
I think it's obvious to those of us who do pay attention to the inflight product, catering and etc., that CO's BF product is superior to the offerings of DL, AA, NW etc.! Simple as that (in my opinion).

I'm looking forward to seeing what DL brings out and or back into their inflight product in F as well as Y. They are making an honest effort to make their customers happy and to make it a pleasant experience, plain and simple.

Does anyone know if someone from DL corporate comes on this website and reads these threads? I think they'll find this very enlightening and will bring about some positive improvement as time goes along.

LACA773

Cubsrule

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:56 pm

Especially in F, the f/as really make or break the service. I fly NW in F fairly frequently, and ORD-DTW is one of the routes I most commonly fly. That's a 42 minute flight from takeoff to touchdown, and it's a stage length on which the service is pretty uniform no matter who or where you fly. But in the last year, I've had a flight attendant offer mints. I've had f/as grab the manifest and call everyone by name. I had one f/a on a 320 offer me no fewer than 6 drinks. THAT is what makes the F experience. It doesn't matter how good or bad the carrier's service standards are. It's about being treated like a higher revenue customer. Any f/a for any carrier can do that. Most choose not to.

[Edited 2006-11-15 06:02:39]
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

aero0729
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 91):
Aero0729,
As I recall, CO's flights to and from HNL are sold and catered as BF and not just F. That's why you will see such a difference in inflight service and catering. It's not fair to compare DL's domestic F product to CO's international BF product. They are two completely different products.

Yes..Continetal does sell the seats as Business First, but at a lower price than Delta. I challenge you to find a flight on Delta cheaper than a BusinessFirst fare to HNL. CO prices aggresively, and sells accordingly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos