MYT332

RE: Official Scottish Aviation Thread

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting Express1 (Reply 48):
lets see if there be a thread from the sheep shagin part of the country!!

What, the country with the massive amount of one airport? An airport that apparently closes at 4:30pm!

Go Wales.
One Life, Live it.

vfw614

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:50 pm

Have the sheep migrated down south or am I missing something here ?

nighthawk

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:33 pm

SAS launching twice weekly flights from Glasgow to Stockholm, flights start 16gh April and operate on Mondays/Fridays. Aircraft will be either 737 or MD80.

Pitty the frequency is less than ideal, but better than nothing. Im guessing there will be no SE funding, seen as the route is less than 3 weekly. Does ryanair operate a "competing" service?

SAS also starting flights to Munich, Palma De Malorca, Malaga and Reykjavik.

GLAGAZ

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 52):
SAS launching twice weekly flights from Glasgow to Stockholm, flights start 16gh April and operate on Mondays/Fridays. Aircraft will be either 737 or MD80.

Welcome news for GLA !

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

GLAGAZ

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:42 am

This looks like fun  Smile

Quote:
Britain’s first seaplane airline has been cleared for take
off on the river Clyde in the centre of Glasgow.
Plans to fly passengers direct to the Highlands and
islands have been given the green light by the Civil
Aviation Authority and the council to create Europe’s
only seaplane service operating from a city centre.

http://www.lochlomondseaplanes.com/media/llsp_glasgow.pdf

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

planemanofnz

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Any more info on QR?

Damian

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:46 pm

QR to Scotland was just a rumour, as far as I know. It sounds like ARN might be the "northern European" city QR alluded to a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out QR to GLA or EDI in the future, though.

gkirk
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Just to add EDI-EWR 2 x Daily 757s next summer with GLA 11 x weekly.

And will the GLA-BOS go via NOC as rumoured?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GLAGAZ

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:57 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 57):

Most likely knowing GSM  Sad

Gaz

nighthawk

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 57):

Looks like the flight will be operated by the 737-800, does it have the range to do GLA-BOS without a fuel stop somewhere?

Someone83

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 52):

I've heard 737-600, same as ARN-EDI.

In addition do I think Wideroe has plans to increase frequencies on their 3x weekly BGO-EDI

ScottishLaddie

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:22 am

BE have announced their first international route from Scotland in EDI-Bergerac. EDI-NQY also sees an increase to 5x weekly next summer.

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 60):
In addition do I think Wideroe has plans to increase frequencies on their 3x weekly BGO-EDI

It is 5x weekly now and I think will be staying at that into summer.

YVRLTN

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:07 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 26):
Zoom GLA-Canada (routes?)

Winter flights to YYZ, YYC & YVR, plus some connecting flights to YOW. Summer also gets YHZ. Darn Z4, that now that means my Fife based inlaws can come visit us more often........

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 23):
Any more insight by now about the fate of Loganair's BA franchise ?

I was also wondering about this - the 'highlands & islands' couldnt exist without the Islander air ambulance flights not to mention the famous Westray / Papa Westray hop, the Twotters to Barra & Benbecula and so on could they? Or has the ambulance contract been totally taken over by Gama now with their new King Air's? Whatever JY does with BACON, surely these flights will have to continue?

I was also wondering about Highland Airways? Are they still going, they had a F406 (which crashed??) & J31 based at INV and added an ATR42 right?? Are they taking over the Scottish Royal Mail flights since JEM went belly up?? I remember a Danish airline (Benair??) were doing some flights a while back with a Let L410.

Lots of things to comment on here  Smile
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

nighthawk

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:42 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 62):
I was also wondering about this - the 'highlands & islands' couldnt exist without the Islander air ambulance flights not to mention the famous Westray / Papa Westray hop, the Twotters to Barra & Benbecula and so on could they? Or has the ambulance contract been totally taken over by Gama now with their new King Air's? Whatever JY does with BACON, surely these flights will have to continue?

BE is the code for FlyBE, owner of BACON, not JY.

As for loganair, they have nothing to do with BACON, they are an independent company, which trades under the BA brand as part of a franchise agreement.

The BACON sale does not effect them directly, the decision by Loganair to reconsider the BA franchise was announced before BACON was sold. However with the sale of BACON it may be an indication that BA is no longer interested in serving the regions, so they may well terminate the franchise (which may be why loganair was considering ending it... perhaps they got wind of this early on..?)

dhhornet

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 50):
What, the country with the massive amount of one airport? An airport that apparently closes at 4:30pm!

Go Wales.

...and they just moan about everything!

What's the latest on Oban International! How far have they got with the development?

gkirk
Topic Author

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:40 pm

Well,
Aberdeen has been given approval for their runway extension.

GSM have got permission to operate their GLA-BOS flights via NOC  crazy 
And they also seem to have applied for GLA-NOC-JFK.
Meanwhile, their GLA-EDI city shuttles appear to be proving popular  Smile

Plans for EDI to get a new runway by 2020 appear to be looking good so far...
SkyEurope seem to have scrapped the EDI-KRK flights for next summer.

PIK, Transavia down to 5 x weekly next summer.

GLA, winter always performs poorly here although the success of Rangers and Celtic in Europe appears to be a good thing. I'd expect it to be busy for the AC Milan away game with Celtic.

GSM763

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:58 pm

Any news on what Wizz Air might be doing next year?

Humberside

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting GSM763 (Reply 66):
Any news on what Wizz Air might be doing next year?

Same as now at PIK I think. They have announced their Polish expansion for next year and nothing new for PIK. Not sure if they've announced their BUD flights for next summer as that could be a possible future route for Wizz Air from PIK
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

gkirk
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:38 pm

Whats happening to SX-BLW that I believe has been sitting at GLA for ages now that Air Scotland have become a non airline?

gkirk
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Gary2880

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:32 pm

Aberdeens revised £60m masterplan up to 2030 was released today.

highlights are the possibility's of going from 16 stands to 29, extending the runway to 8,600ft. improved immigration and baggage reclaim. having at least 1 stand capable of accepting a 747. possibility of flights to north Africa or north America.

nice to dream anyway... not sure how much of it we will see. won't get my hopes up
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

ScottishLaddie

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:17 am

Excellent expansion from EZY at EDI next summer thanks to the announcement today of more flights:

Madrid Daily from 25 February £31.99
Milan (Malpensa) Daily from 21 May £27.99
Palma (Majorca) Weekly from 5 May, Twice weekly from 10 June £31.99
Amsterdam Increasing to two daily from 4 April £27.99
Munich Daily from 4 April £31.99

plus GVA increasing from 4x weekly for daily in summer.

vv701

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Seems that LCY will have all the RJ100s thus apart from 1 overnighting RJ100, I'd have thought the EDI base would close.

I do not think so. LCY does not have the room.

I understand that currently BA operate from LCY to EDI (7 daily), FRA (3 daily), MAD (2 daily) and MXP (1 daily). Three aircraft overnight at EDI with morning departures at 0625, 0715 and 0830 before the first arrival from LCY at 1210 hours.

A single aircraft also overnights at both MAD and FRA.

As I understood it the sale of BACON to flybe would exclude their fleet of eleven RJ100s. These aircraft will be used for flights from LCY. However the scarcity of ramp space at this airport will require that they be based at EDI. Even with a spare aircraft to cover maintenance and an aircraft going tec the current services require only seven of these eleven aircraft.

This all leads to the following questions:

Will BA keep all eleven RJ100s or dispose of up to four?

If BA keep all eleven RJ100s what extra services will they add to improve utilisation to compensate for the withdrawal of BACON RJ100 flights from MAN and BHX?

If BA does increase the number of routes flown by RJ100s will their agreement with flybe allow them only to operate them out of LCY or could they add services from EDI to destinations other than LCY that are not currently BACON routes?

Someone83

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:58 pm

Norwegian will begin OSL-EDI service from April 15th. The route will be flown 3x weekly (tue, thu and sun) using a 737-300

http://www.norwegian.no/sw23973.asp

(Sorry, but the link is in Norwegian only)

vfw614

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:47 pm

BA has announced that it will add new destinations from LCY and increase frequency on existing routes. Overnighting aircraft at LCY should not be a huge problem as currently there are only two aircraft overnighting at LCY (Scot, Air France). If the Avros have departed before the first wave of arrivals from the continent, I do not see a problem. The bigger problem is to fill aircraft for early morning departures, something all airlines operating at LCY find difficult to achieve. Thus I would expect most additional airframes to overnight on the continent at places such as VIE, HEL, BCN which are targeted as new destinations by the airport management. What might happen is that they will operate like VIE-LCY-VIE-LHR-XXX-LHR-VIE-LCY-VIE to make sure they catch the high yield daytripper crowd for LCY and release Airbus A319/320 at LHR/LGW during off-peak hours on certain routes for which a 100 seater is sufficient.

Humberside

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:19 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 73):
Norwegian will begin OSL-EDI service from April 15th. The route will be flown 3x weekly (tue, thu and sun) using a 737-300

Finally someone has taken that route up. I think it was one of Duo's better routes and should do well
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Granite

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi all

As long as they don't waste more money on shopping facilities at ABZ I will be happy.

Yes, it brings in the money but passenger facilities suffer. I mean who the hell wants a duty free shop LARGER than the international departures seating facilities?

Regards

Gary

vv701

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 74):
What might happen is that they will operate like VIE-LCY-VIE-LHR-XXX-LHR-VIE-LCY-VIE to make sure they catch the high yield daytripper crowd for LCY and release Airbus A319/320 at LHR/LGW during off-peak hours on certain routes for which a 100 seater is sufficient.

I like your lateral thinking although I think that your suggestion of LGW is more likely than LHR. Unlike LH and BD I do not think BA have enough slots at LHR to justify the operation of a 100 seat aircraft into the airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos