Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airfun
Topic Author

Gripes Or Complements About America West Airlines?

Sun Jul 09, 2000 12:30 am

Just want to get a feel for AWA..passenger service as well as employee treatment at AWA...thankyou.

flyCMH

RE: Gripes Or Complements About America West Airlines?

Sun Jul 09, 2000 4:51 am

I flew on America West for the first time on June 6 from Columbus to Newark. The flight was originally supposed to be with Continental, but the aircraft was delayed for about 2 hours, so they scheduled me on an earlier departing America West flight.

Check-in:
I arrived at the America West ticket counters. There was a line but it moved quickly. I stepped up to the counter and was greeted warmly by an America West agent. She asked me if I had any bags that I wanted to check in, which I did, and she tagged it and put it on the belt. She went over the standard procedures, and asked if I had any more questions. Her manner was very friendly and professional. She then thanked me for choosing America West.

Gate and boarding:
I arrived at gate B2 and saw the America West A320 that would take me to Newark. The plane seemed old, and had not been painted in AWA's new colors. I noticed that the flight was delayed for 30 minutes due to mechanical work being done on the aircraft. I asked the gate agent later what the status of the plane was, and he answered rudely, as if I shouldn't even be asking. The second America West gate agent, however, was the exact opposite. I noticed that she was very pleasant with the other passengers, and answered their questions thoroughly. We began boarding, and I stepped into the aircraft. The aircraft was clean inside and airy. The seats had not been replaced and seemed worn, but were comfortable enough.

Taxi and takeoff:
The plane stayed on the ground for about 15 more minutes and then pulled back from the gate. We taxied to the runway and the flight attendants did the safety announcement. The old PTV's were still in the seats, and the overhead flip-down monitors were not working either. We were second in a line of 4 aircraft for takeoff. That day it was partly cloudy with high winds. The plane took off and we experienced some mild turbulence as we climbed out of Columbus.

In-flight:
We eventually reached cruising altitude for the 1 hour and 40 min. flight to Newark. The flight was mostly smooth with a few pockets of turbulence. The flight attendants later began the beverage service. It consisted of a full can of soda, and a bag of pretzels. The flight attendants were courteous and professional throughout the flight.

Decent and landing:
Upon approaching Newark, the pilot advised us of bad weather in the area, and that we should experience some turbulence. As we descended through the clouds and approached the airport, there was some mild to rough turbulence. It lessened as we approached the runway, but it was very cloudy and rainy. The pilot made an excellent, tranquil landing in the bad weather and we taxied to our gate.

Overall, the flight was normal. It wasn't the best flight I had ever had, but it was not bad either. I plan to fly America West again the August. I am hoping the experience will be fine.

Sun Jul 09, 2000 5:07 am

I am complaining for a friend. About 6 months ago, my friend was flying them, and they had several bad things. The first was happened when they started boarding. The aircraft was not a 757, it was a 733 like they thought, and the plane was already 25 pax overbooked before they figured that mistake. So he was supposed to go on the next flight out, but when he got on the full plane, his seatbelt was broken, so they made him get off. When he got off, he realized that they didn't take his luggage off the plane. All he got was a meal voucher, no hotel accomodations. He went to the WN ticket counter, and bought a ticket there. The rest of the trip was uneventful, and when he got back, he picked up his luggage at the AWA carousel.

airfun
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2000 8:58 am

Thanx for the input..sounds like just normal stuff we have all to deal with at some time or another. I am paticulary glad to hear the F/A's were OK. They are my "home town airline ". Any more? Thanx again.

Skyteam

Mon Jul 10, 2000 1:02 am

Im flying America Worst in a couple weeks, and I'm sure I'll have some complaints when I get back.

DELTA #1

Mon Jul 10, 2000 2:59 am

SKYTEAM:

May I ask why you're flying America West instead of that great and wonderful airline Delta that you love so much? Did we offer better fares? Better flight times? Surpirse surprise.

Just curious.

desertjets

Mon Jul 10, 2000 6:34 am

Since I have thrown my two cents in on AWA every single post, here goes...

Actually AWA's inflight service has gotten a lot better. After they came out of Ch.11 they cut back on food and put snack sacks on some long flights. Since then they have gone back to regular meal services on all flights 2.5 hours and up. Actually their food in coach is the best I have seen in a while. Much better than Continental (who I and everyone else seems to love) and their turkey and limp lettuce sandwich. But AWA has there fair share of problems... well not really fair, do a search on AWA and you will see the recent posts with the excellent input from HP employees about how they feel.

But bare in mind United's recent rankings are just as bad as America Wests, but you don't see anyone bitching about that... though HP's name is much more slanderable than Uniteds.

My 2 cents worth, for what its worth.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Skyteam

AWA 320

Mon Jul 10, 2000 7:03 am

Listen here, I am flying America Worst to Phoenix because Delta was booked. This will be the last time I will fly America Worst. I hope they go out of business

DELTA #1
ATLANTA #1

flyCMH

Skyteam

Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:57 pm

Why exactly do you want America West to go out of business? I have read many of your other posts concerning AWA, and all seem to have the phrase, "I wish they'd go out of business." Do you realize how many people's lives would be affected if the airline were to cease operations? There are many people behind the airline, and they count on it's success to maintain their ways of life. I personally do not enjoy witnessing the demise of an airline. Also, what exactly caused you to have such a deep hatred towards America West?

txagkuwait

Mon Jul 10, 2000 1:41 pm

America West suffers from a lot of bad PR, some of it deserved, a lot of it not-so-deserved.

There are a lot of operations problems, and (my opinion) is that they needed some management at the top who knew something about airlines, was willing to be a little bit creative instead of trying to carbon copy the majors, and who might not have been willing to cave in to the unions...but was willing to treat the employees like human beings.

My dad keeled over at SJC about 15 yrs ago.....107.8 fever...and my mom had to rush out there. The folks at HP were very nice, helpful, and expressed concern. She got there and dad was ultimately okay...but we did appreciate the kind treatment she got and the help they provided on a very rushed, short notice trip.

On the other hand, since their bankruptcies they seem to have lost their focus, and really don't know who or what kind of airline they want to be. That's not the fault of the employee. That is the result of an impoverished corporate culture.

It's a vicious circle...the employees have a hard time giving a crap because management doesn't like them/trust them/share the "vision" thing with them...so they don't try to fix the operations problems...which results in angry passengers who avoid them.....which means they have to discount a bunch to attract new passengers..which means less revenue...which means the airline can't afford to pay higher wages...which aggravates the employees.

On a good day, a flight out of PHX on America West with an assigned seat and a meal is probably better than a flight on Southwest. The issue is, however, that the passenger has discovered that Southwest WILL deliver the product they promise, and that is in serious doubt over at America West's terminal.

If the operations problems ever got fixed, HP might be a force to be reckoned with. But I think management has filed that in the "too hard to do" box.

Just my humble opinions. Take care all!

TxAgQ8

PS: Oh, and don't worry too much about what SKYTEAM has to say. He or she is apparently about a 16 yr old kid with a Delta infatuation. The things I could say about DL are a whole lot more disdainful than anything I'd say about HP.

desertjets

RE: TxAgKuwait

Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:02 pm

That was very well said. Its rare to find people that can put together a good constructive argument.

I do fully believe what you say. I generally don't worry about the kid who is not paying for his own airline tickets and complaining.

I have flown HP on 3 segments this year... two more in the next 2 weeks. Like I have said before I generally find their service good, but other things... like massively overbooking flights, the maintenance issues and so on to be troubling. They have everything it takes to be a major force in the domestic US market... but they are strapped to a lost and uncaring (mis)management team. Lets face it, for many people without HP there would be a lot less choice out there when it comes to flying.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

travelin man

RE: TxAgKuwait

Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:39 pm

I've flown AWA four times (both times LAX-LAS, with one of the returns LAS-SAN). One of my flights to LAS was 1 1/2 hours late. Other than that, no big deal.

However, flying into PHX on United Shuttle, I caught the local Hilton Shuttle. We had to stop by the AW terminal. It was late at night (11 pm or so). The driver was saying that he had to do this EVERY night because of the number of AW cancellations each night. Apparently, AW put some of their cancelled passengers in the Hilton. Anyway, we picked up a group of disgruntled AW passengers who vowed never to fly AW again.

The Hilton driver sympathized and said that this is a regular occurrence at America West. He even allocated extra time each night to make sure he picked up all the xcld AW passengers.

Basically, it scared me into not flying AW again (especially thru PHX). This was Oct. '99.

Rotate777

Mon Jul 10, 2000 4:36 pm

I have never flown with AWA, but my sister's friend did one time. She had 3 flights with them, and all three were cancelled. I'm not sure why, but she was pissed off about it. I don't blame here for being pissed...I would have been too. I really hope that AWA doesn't have any more cancelled flights...and so many passenger complaints...

Skyteam

FlyCMH

Tue Jul 11, 2000 1:33 am

I hate America Worst, and I hope they go out of business because they dont have enough planes, Their planes dont hold enough people, I cant get the flights I want, They dont serve the eastern part of the U.S. They were ranked #1 in passenger complaints, and they cheated me out some money. I would never depend on America Worst for my future!!!!!

DELTA #1
ATLANTA #1

HP737

Tue Jul 11, 2000 1:43 am

I have flown on HP a few times (MKE - LAS) and have not experienced any problems. Flights departed and arrived on time. No rude agents, lost luggage, etc.

However, on my return trip (LAS - MKE) my flight on Midwest Express was cancelled due to severe weather and we found ourselves being routed on HP. While there was some initial confusion as to which gate to go to and get seat assignments, the agents were very patient and pleasant in getting us onto the flight. In fact, the person helping us had a "special agent" or something like that on her ID badge. After boarding the aircraft, we experienced a delay at the gate (due to extra catering since what was a half-full flight was now a full flight with the cancelled passengers) and a second delay on the tarmac (ATC clearance). Due to thunderstorms along most of the flight path, we frequently experienced moderate to severe turbulence. After some really rough spots, we would get an apology from the flight deck for the rough flight. Definitely a first for me! Unfortunately, climbing and descending didn't help; all the altitudes were bad.

As we deplaned, we thanked the pilot for taking us home as it was the last leg of the trip. We were really worried upon learning of our cancelled flight how we would get home, but AWA really came through (quite literally, in that turbulence!   ). I have read the recent article in the July Airways. How unfortunate that so many of their customers don't experience the professionalism and courtesy that we received on May 17-18.

Skyteam

Tue Jul 11, 2000 2:05 am

What terrible reasons to hate America West.

drerx7

Skyteam

Tue Jul 11, 2000 2:15 am

How old are you? You have some very infantile comments. At least wait until you have flown America West to criticize them.

P.S.
I'm not exactly a fan of Delta or Atlanta myself. In fact the worst trip I had was on Delta. Hopefully they've changed since then.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

SFORAMPER

RE: AW Out Of Business

Tue Jul 11, 2000 4:26 am

SKYTEAM, you talk like AW is the only airline that has problems, I think its a personal thing between you and AW. I dont know how many times we ve said that our problems are due to an incompetent CEO. Rampers, inflight, crew, mechanics, Cust Sv can only do so much.
To give you an example that most of us employees care there have been cases when there is only 4 of us doing 2 planes on the ground but we bust our asses to get em out on time, or when a plane is scheduled to arrive at 2 17 am but its late and there is noone at the counter or gate to ask and the screen still shows 2 17
I take it upon myself to go up and let people that are waiting the latest ETA.
So for you to say you hope we go out of business is unfair.

Matt D

And Now...heads Will Spin...

Tue Jul 11, 2000 7:11 am

Anyone who's read my posts from months past will know that I beat HP into verbal oblivion. Now, I must actually step up and defend them a bit. Yes it's a bit of a 180, but what the hell, I'm open minded, and level headed.
I flew AWA a few weeks back, and I was pleasantly surprised. The service was good. It was a polar opposite from the experience I had last year that did little to enhance my postion in the AWA fan club.
But folks like AWA Ramper and AWA A320 are correct. I see them so valiantly trying to defend their airline....these are the same folks that I got into a very heated arguement with last year. Now, I have to stand behind them. They are trying their damndest to get AWA back on their feet, brush themselves off and try and restore what was once a proud airline. I sympathize with them 200% that much of the blame comes from on top (please refer to my ongoing thread "Why isn't Southwest the industry model?").
Now don't get me wrong. I'm sure that there are plenty of disgruntled folks at HP that don't give a rats arse about what's happening. Shame on them for that. But by the same token, there are folks like the Ramper and the A320 that are caught in the crossfire and are killing themselves to make lemonade out of a lemon.
So, for all of you that can't stand AWA, lighten up. Give 'em another chance. All things come full circle. Eventually AWA's reputation is going to start affecting the Stocks. And when it does, guess who's going to be given the boot? The shareholders will then almost certainly replace him with another Beauvis or Conway. So let's try not to kill them off before they get that chance.

Matt D

Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:09 am

WAY TO GO MATT D!!!! I never ever thought I would witness you saying that!

Almost brought a tear to my eye!

Please don't give up on America West! We're changing... very slowly, but we're changing. In-flight has improved 110%, with happy flight attendants and now the best meals in the United States. We're starting to hire more people, and scheduling is working out a little better.

We're on our way back up!

johnboy

Wed Jul 12, 2000 5:24 pm

America West is fast developing a reputation for cancelling flights and not assisting passengers after cancellations. I almost wrote, that I don't know what the reason is, but I do know what the reason is (read above posts). Many flights were cancelled at PHX during July 4th holidays. Not a good thing. Part of me wants to let AWA "off the hook", saying ,"Well at least they didn't want them in the air without being 100% airworthy." But the darker side of me says," Why are these flights being cancelled because of mechanical troubles...is there something the FAA needs to look into?"

I'm not a HP basher, i used to live in PHX, and I know a lot of folks who benefit from them directly or indirectly. I think the employees, and the city of Phoenix, deserves better than the crap at the top of that corporate ladder.

bernsa

Thu Jul 13, 2000 5:49 am

I've never flown America West but can relate some experiences and things that I've concluded.

My family has frequently travelled America West from EWR to Phoenix and though never indicated any major problems, they weren't thrilled with flying them either. Many flights were late and the food was far from desirable (the food may have changed in the last few months).

In planning a vacation for myself from Jersey to San Francisco area I wanted to stick with a OnePass partner (Continental's FF) for the mileage so investigated my options on Continental, America West, and Northwest. I found cheaper and more convenient flights out of PHL to SFO for my particular situation (usually I fly out of EWR and was quite open to flying to either SJC or OAK). America West did have the cheapest fare of the three ($324 at the time) but I opted to spend an extra $34 to fly Continental/Northwest due to the worry over late times through PHX, especially on connecting flights. Unfortantely, I really can't afford the time to miss my connections this time around.

I did have one VERY positive experience with America West. I went out to SLC in May of last year and flew Continental exclusively. Continental does not seem to have ground staff at SLC and uses America West's agents and facilities. The America West ticket agent was very kind to allow my friend and myself to use a month-old expired first-class upgrade coupon, especially after I related a screwup Continental had made with our outbound flight (basically deleted the flight from their records and never notified us). We meant to write a thank-you letter to AWA about this, but never got around to doing it unfortunately. Of course this could also just be a testiment about the Utah natives as well.

mlsrar

An Argument

Thu Jul 13, 2000 6:19 am

It seems that SKYTEAM really needs to know how to formulate a conjugal thought and retort that is what an argument is based on. Whether or not you comprehend the construct behind intelligent conversation is moot; your abrasive attitude here is not.

The brazon manner with which you furlough your stupidity speaks volumes on how much you really must know about HP. You mirror the other lemmings on this forum who wipe their a**es with NW's image without having had any relevant experience that would add distinction to their reputation.

I was among AWA's few 200kers at the time. That was when they were the cheapest way to get from ORD-NGO via PHX. Their meals were first rate, service impeccable, and I was overall pleased with their experience; it was disheartening to see a concept with great potential be pissed away by lackadaisical management.

I had a few flights cancelled, had my garment bag lost in HNL, watched them overbook their 742 by 83 people...yep, pretty bad. Going back home for Xmas in 1997, NW lost two D14js sequentially to failed engines on the eve of the 24th--take a guess how many of those 500 people made it home for Xmas...NW not HP. On a UAL flight from OMA-ORD...just under an hour, ORD was closed due to T-storms. After watching every other airline retract to the gates, we had a masquerade on our 733, and sang nursery rhymes when the air conditioning failed. UA, not HP

The point is, all airlines make mistakes. Don't crucify one for the same problems all airlines have.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos