osiris30

RE: A380 Crosswind Testing Video (Landing & Takeoff)

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 36):
And same can be said about your post, it's a viscious circle and I felt that my response was warranted.....Requesting deletion does not clarify my point.

It could be said about my post, with one key difference. I didn't complain about what he said and hijacking the thread. You did and in effect defeated your own cause. Had everyone just ignored him or dealt with him via private message the thread wouldn't be peppered with this crap. Regardless of whether or not your response was 'warranted' the net result is the same.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

S12PPL

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 2):
Was it really necessary?

hissyfit   hissyfit   hissyfit 
He can say whatever he wants about the plane.

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 5):
I agree, this is supposed to be an aviation forum for enthusiasts and not one to constantly derate the products of our affection. Sure, people are entitled to their opinions but come on, enough is enough.

I'll comment on this, and others like this below...

Quoting Mazmanr (Reply 6):
Couldn't agree more! pointing out that you think the plane is "ugly" is just a waste of a post.

So that wasn't a waste of a post? Sorry...but isn't that a little bit of a doubble standard??

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 15):
You are correct, same as I can freely call his comment tiresome....and reading some of the earlier posts above, I'm not alone with my thinking.

So then don't bitch when people voice their opinions about the plane you love. People are entitled to their opinion, and we will thank you to NOT infringe on that freedom!

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 17):
Woopdy fricken do. His comment had NOTHING to do with the thread, and *that* is getting tiresome around here.

And your little hissyfit had everything to do with the thread?? I think I'll coin a phrase from someone else who felt the need to tell us that we didn't have to comment about how ugly we think the plane is...You don't have to reply to their comments, either!!!

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 17):
You know, I can't wait until this Goddamned plane is certified and flying, and we can put all this bullcrap behind us, because it is getting to be absolutely friggen rediculous.

What's getting ridiculous, is people who feel the need to trample all over other people's opinions Smile

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 32):
Well said 808TWA, for what it's worth welcome to my RR.

There's a prize...  Yeah sure

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 29):
Simple matter of fact is that you and your American cronies seem to hijack every single thread discussing the A380 and the discussion about the subject at hand.....The crosswind landings in Iceland..... Is therefore intermingled with pointless and needless discussions on the same exact subject that countless other threads have already covered, your negative comments about it's looks.
 hissyfit   hissyfit   hissyfit   hissyfit   hissyfit   hissyfit 
Wow...you poor baby.
It is impossible to read through a thread on the A380 without coming across this childish bashing and as others have already said, it is extremely tiresome, especially for those of us who have an interest on factual and informative details on the aircraft itself.
Don't read it. You just simply don't have to read it. People post threads about the A380, and how beautiful they think it is. As such, there are people who feel it is ugly. They are free to feel however they want about them. They are even free to drop a comment about those feelings any time they want, so long as they do it without saying things that are offensive!
If you wish to start a new thread on the subject of the A380's cosmetics, you are at free will to do so, and it also gives the reader the option of deciding to enter the thread or not.

Just as you are free to NOT read people's negative comments about the A380!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

808TWA

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 51):
Just as you are free to NOT read people's negative comments about the A380!

Obviously my point of contention has been missunderstood.

Quite simply put, my issue was not the comment itself, but rather that it was placed in a thread with which the thread starter had wanted to share the video of the crosswind trials in Iceland.

On an open forum such as this I look forward to reading peoples opinion, it's one of the joys of being on this site.

However, as an aviation enthusiast it has become increasingly difficult to read a thread on this site that hasn't been corrupted from it's original thread starters intent. It's obvious that people are getting irritated by this problem on this site and yes, maybe I have somehow contributed to this by responding in this case.

It seems any thread with discussion of the A380/787 or Airbus/Boeing turns into a complete mish-mash of convoluted garbage and NEVER stays on the track it was intended. It just results with angry people and likely unintended insults and comments being flung around.

If the thread header was "A380 is ugly" then the comment would never have bothered me, does anyone understand what I'm getting at?

Anyways, prior to these most recent posts I had in fact sent a private message to Tonyban to explain that my comments were not directed personally at him and that I did not necessarily disagree with his comment, it was only the placement in this thread that I had issue with.

Hope everyone understands where I'm coming from....and of course, this is all entirely my opinion too and open to scrutiny and dissection as you all see fit.

-Alan
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

JuniorSpotter

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:51 am

Heeeey! At least there is one person here familiar to something called...FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

I wonder who the most tiresome, childish and post-wasting ones are. The single one with ONE post about his opinion on the A380, or the fifteen other posts bashing him, saying it's tiresome and a waste of posts.  banghead  You noobs (sorry, but what the hell...) really need to relax and replace your aviation-knowitall-wannabe-moods with a little more humble manners.

Oh yeah...and I want you all to show me ONE thread that ONLY discusses the stated topic, and NEVER EVER goes even a slight bit off topic. Come on. I dare ya.

Nice video, though. And yes, the plane is butt-ugly. I pay taxes, I say what ever I want.
If something can go wrong, it will.

S12PPL

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting JuniorSpotter (Reply 53):
Oh yeah...and I want you all to show me ONE thread that ONLY discusses the stated topic, and NEVER EVER goes even a slight bit off topic. Come on. I dare ya.

Dude, if every single thread goes off topic, then why are you daring us to show you one that doesn't????

S12PPL

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:01 am

Here's one:
http://www1.airliners.net/discussion...eneral_aviation/read.main/3100169/

JuniorSpotter

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 54):
Dude, if every single thread goes off topic, then why are you daring us to show you one that doesn't????

I'm not daring you, I'm daring these guys...

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 38):
Why not!? This thread was supposed to be on the A380's crosswind testing!!! By the SECOND post, we were already well on our way to a "380 Bashing" yet *AGAIN*

There is NOTHING in the topic of this thread that states "380 Crosswind Testing Video, oh, and how do you think the A380 looks?"

Both you and I know that every single thread goes off topic, but then there are some living in a make-believe world, where everything is supposed to be the way they want. These are the ones I'm daring to show me (or us) a thread that doesn't go off-topic.

Shinkai

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting Tonyban (Reply 1):
Nice video....but boy that aircraft is an ugly duckling !!!

i'm glad that you say that because an ugly duckling will grow into a beautiful swan one day.. especially when the A380 stretches a bit in the future variants
please relax, enjoy your flight... Good Luck!!

S12PPL

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:04 am

Here's another one:

http://www1.airliners.net/discussion...eneral_aviation/read.main/3100260/

JuniorSpotter

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 58):
Here's another one:

http://www1.airliners.net/discussion...0260/

If you can't find off-topic postings in those two threads, you need glasses...  Wink

ikramerica

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:47 am

It's cool video, and looks kind of dangerous. Must be fun for pilots who like that sort of thing. On the 777 footage, from one angle it looks ridiculous how off angle the approach is. That must put a lot of torque on the main gear!!

As for the aesthetic comments, are you all saying if someone posted a video of a 200 kg person running, we are supposed to completely ignore the fact that he's huge and just focus on the running?

I think the Airbus test livery is unflattering and makes the A380 look like an ugly duckling, but in some of the liveries of airlines that will operate it, it looks pretty damn good (at least from 300 degrees worth of angles or so), so yes, the ugly duckling/swan analogy might be fitting.

I do find it telling how one innocent comment from a new member gives license to some to attack ALL Americans in response and be applauded for doing so. Bravo.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

S12PPL

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting JuniorSpotter (Reply 59):
If you can't find off-topic postings in those two threads, you need glasses...

If you can't see that the replies early on in those threads when I linked to this thread were all on topic, you need glasses, too. I dunno if those threads have gone off topic since I linked this thread to them. You'd have to verify by checking my post time, with the most recent post time in those threads to my post in this thread.... Smile If you followed that, you deserve a cookie  bigthumbsup 

JuniorSpotter

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:20 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 61):
If you can't see that the replies early on in those threads when I linked to this thread were all on topic, you need glasses, too. I dunno if those threads have gone off topic since I linked this thread to them. You'd have to verify by checking my post time, with the most recent post time in those threads to my post in this thread.... If you followed that, you deserve a cookie

Can I have a Maryland Chocolate Chip cookie?  Wink

Now, I haven't checked the time when replies where posted, but I found some minor off-topic posts very early in those threads. But. Let's first determine what off-topic is. According to the whining users here, a thread is only supposed to contain writing about the topic itself.

The first link you posted was something about WN expanding with new routes. Reply #9:

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 9):
Am i the only one that noticed this part?

Quoting R311music (Thread starter):
is available for purchase today
through March 11, 2007, with travel beginning March 11, 2007 through
May 10, 2007. See fare rules below.

How can you have travel between March 11 through March 10? Jigga WHAT?

Does any of this have to do with WN's new routes? No? Oh.

Then, let's take the second link you showed, the one with LH announcing long-haul orders. Reply #2 asks about the regional division. Is that long-haul? No. Is that on-topic, according to the "rule"? No.

But still - threads always contribute to new questions somehow relevant to the original post, and starting a new thread just because it differs a bit from the topic...THAT'S a waste of posting. Same thing goes with personal comments, which is what got us here today. And not to mention this whole discussion, which has d*ck sh*t to do with the A380 crosswind landing video.

So...do you think you can send me that cookie without it getting soft and mooshy before arriving?  biggrin 

tonyban

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:07 am

I'm new to A.Net and didn't know my 'ugly duckling' comment would be taken so out of context. My appologies to all. I'll be very exited to see this aircraft if it ever comes to the US. Next time I'll keep my comments strictly about the thread. 20 lashes to me !!

808TWA

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:16 am

Tony, I sent you an IM yesterday, please click the yellow line saying "you have a message waiting" at top of this forum page.

-Alan
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos