Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Verbal F/A Confirmation In Exit Rows?

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm a pretty tall guy, and I sit in a lot of exit row seats on a lot of carriers. The past 2 times, though, the f/as have not come and talked to the folks in the exit rows individually at all (it was YV and US mainline, if it matters). I thought that an FAR said that f/as had to talk to people and verify that they spoke and understood English. Was that never a regulation, or has the regulation changed?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

silentbob

RE: Verbal F/A Confirmation In Exit Rows?

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:03 pm

At the very least it is company policy that they are supposed to do so.

deltagator

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Thread starter):
Was that never a regulation, or has the regulation changed?

Not sure if it ever was a regulation but in all my travels with Delta in the exit row of the MD-88 it was always hit or miss if the stewardess talked to us sitting there.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

lincoln

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:13 pm

AFAIK, The FAR is just that to occupy an exit row you must be 15, understand instructions in English, and be able to operate the exit without injuring yourself or risking unnecessary delay/injury to others. The airline isn't required by FARto verify any of this information, which I've certainly found curious--this doesn't mean, though that this may be a company policy requirement.

On all of my Exit Row flights, I've had the full spectrum of FA reactions from not even doing a "You know you're in an exit row, right?" to threatening to yank the passenger sitting next to me because first she nodded ("Ma'am, I need you to tell me 'yes' or 'no' out loud. Do you know that you are in an exit row and are you willing to perform the duties listed on the card?") and then because she gave the wrong answer to "If I tell you to open the exit..." (the pax said something along the lines of "Pull the handle and throw it as far as I can", when on a 737 NG the correct answer is pull the cover, pull the handle and let go while the door opens up and out automatically.)

Almost all of these have been on CO, so ether there's not a company policy or it's inconsistantly applied (my guess).

Lincoln
(In exit row seat 14F of CO flight 735 tomorrow morning  Wink )
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

boeingfever777

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 3):
understand instructions in English, and be able to operate the exit without injuring yourself or risking unnecessary delay/injury to others.

Not my case with CO... They have gone way down in my books and I will not be flying with them any longer due to a incident on a flight.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

VHXLR8

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:28 pm

In Australia, pax sitting in exit rows must be briefed prior to the aircraft door closing. It's basically checking that they're willing to assist, physically able to operate exits, and meet the criteria to sit there (age, language etc).
It's a pretty basic briefing.

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 4):
Not my case with CO... They have gone way down in my books and I will not be flying with them any longer due to a incident on a flight.

You and me both mate; I too will never fly them again unless I absolutely have to!

airplaneboy

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:40 pm

It certainly is a federal aviation regulation. FA's at my airline were getting written up on FAA checkrides for not performing the exit row brief and our company posted out memos reminding us of what we were trained to do. I do not know of any U.S. carrier that is NOT required to perform the exit row briefing in person.

BEFORE the main cabin door is closed, it is a F.A.R. for all bags to be stowed, all overhead bin doors be shut, and the emergency exit row briefed (simple reminder: BAGS, BINS, BRIEFS). Passengers do not have to be seated per say at that time, but FA's cannot inform the flight deck that the cabin is secured for departure until all bodies are seated and buckled in. It is an F.A.R. for all pax to be seated and buckled in during any surface movement of the aircraft, as well as anytime the fasten seatbelt sign is illuminated.

Cheers

aloha73g

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:37 pm

At Hawaiian we do exit row briefings (or are supposed to.) The manual states that the FAA requires it and even includes some extra language requested by the airlines' legal department.

Pretty standard...what to assess for, how to open the exit, are you willing and able assist, and can you perform these functions without hurting yourself....a verbal yes/no is required.

Atleast thats how we're trained.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

johnclipper

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:47 pm

On every UA and UA Express flight where I've sat in Exit Row, the F/A has asked if "you are able and willing to help in an emergency"...and you have to verbally confirm it with them (not just nod your head)...
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

jamman

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:20 pm

Actually its interesting you say this because I sat in an exit row on my last transatlantic with CO and nobody said anything to us personally they just mentioned it during the safety briefing and I just flicked through the extra safety card.
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

777jaah

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:26 pm

I know for sure that AV does it. Although no verbal confirmation was required, IIRC.

I flew with CM a few weeks ago and in some flights they handout a card with the "rules" of an exit row, and on the others, told the pax and listed all the procedures and requirements and asked for a verbal confirmation. Really, not much consistency if you ask me.

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

Goldenshield

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting AirplaneBoy (Reply 6):
It certainly is a federal aviation regulation. FA's at my airline were getting written up on FAA checkrides for not performing the exit row brief and our company posted out memos reminding us of what we were trained to do.

It's not a regulation, but an F.A.A. inspector can bust you for failing to follow the F.A.A. approved procedure for your airline.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

146crew

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 11):
It's not a regulation, but an F.A.A. inspector can bust you for failing to follow the F.A.A. approved procedure for your airline.

Correct, finally someone who knows! At USAirways they are not required to verbally verify the exit row pax, it is all covered in the boarding announcement.
Cross check complete.

BMED

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:28 am

When i fly with BD there are cards that are placed on the seats that tell you all the info and always had a FA come and talk to them when they go down the cabin closing the bins.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

airtran737

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:31 am

Correct. If you tell the FAA in that you will brief the customers in the exit row, then you are obligated to do it every time or be subject to a fine.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Goldenshield

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting 146crew (Reply 12):
Correct, finally someone who knows!

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 14):
Correct.

It's part of my job to know these things, but do I get a cookie anyhow?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:46 am

So who is required to verbally confirm? From what I can remember...

UA: No
YV: No
DL: Yes (Religiously)
NW: Yes
US: No
AF (bonus points for the foreign carrier): No

airplaneboy

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:07 am

Goldenshield,

Thank you for making the clarification.  Smile It was my understanding that it was a F.A.R. As you mentioned, if an airline's policy is stricter than the F.A.A. regulation, it is a F.A.R. to follow the airline's stricter policy. That makes sense.

Well folks, we now know that it is indeed based on each airline's own policies. I'm glad to learn something new everyday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Smile

jetjack74

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 16):

Our manual states we have to:
1.Inform them that we're in an exit row
2.To review the exit-seating criteria on the front of the card
3.And if they have any questions, to ask at any time.

2 years ago, we did away with the verbal verification of exit row passengers.
Made from jets!

WeAreUnited

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:46 am

I've worked for 3 airlines (OO, AS, UA)- and everyone of them state that you "must get verbal confirmation" from all exit row passengers. It states that it is an FAR. Maybe it's the airlines individual FAA inspector who makes the rule- but I know you can get in trouble if you do not do it.

We recently received a memo stating that they had received many ASAP reports from FA's who forgot to brief exit row pax. ASAP's are to be filled out if you break an FAR- not if you break company policy.

So, I'm going to say for that that YES- it is an FAR.

Goldenshield

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:07 am

§ 121.571 Briefing passengers before takeoff.
(a) Each certificate holder operating a passenger-carrying airplane shall insure that all passengers are orally briefed by the appropriate crewmember as follows:

(1) Before each takeoff, on each of the following:

(i) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited including, but not limited to, any applicable requirements of part 252 of this title). This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger information signs, posted placards, areas designated for safety purposes as no smoking areas, and crewmember instructions with regard to these items. The briefing shall also include a statement that Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying any smoke detector in an airplane lavatory; smoking in lavatories; and, when applicable, smoking in passenger compartments.

(ii) The location of emergency exits.

(iii) The use of safety belts, including instructions on how to fasten and unfasten the safety belts. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions the safety belt must be fastened about that passenger. This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with lighted passenger information signs and crewmember instructions concerning the use of safety belts.

(iv) The location and use of any required emergency flotation means.

(v) On operations that do not use a flight attendant, the following additional information:

(A) The placement of seat backs in an upright position before takeoff and landing.

(B) Location of survival equipment.

(C) If the flight involves operations above 12,000 MSL, the normal and emergency use of oxygen.

(D) Location and operation of fire extinguisher.

(2) After each takeoff, immediately before or immediately after turning the seat belt sign off, an announcement shall be made that passengers should keep their seat belts fastened, while seated, even when the seat belt sign is off.

(3) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(4) of this section, before each takeoff a required crewmember assigned to the flight shall conduct an individual briefing of each person who may need the assistance of another person to move expeditiously to an exit in the event of an emergency. In the briefing the required crewmember shall—

(i) Brief the person and his attendant, if any, on the routes to each appropriate exit and on the most appropriate time to begin moving to an exit in the event of an emergency; and

(ii) Inquire of the person and his attendant, if any, as to the most appropriate manner of assisting the person so as to prevent pain and further injury.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (a)(3) of this section do not apply to a person who has been given a briefing before a previous leg of a flight in the same aircraft when the crewmembers on duty have been advised as to the most appropriate manner of assisting the person so as to prevent pain and further injury.

(b) Each certificate holder must carry on each passenger-carrying airplane, in convenient locations for use of each passenger, printed cards supplementing the oral briefing. Each card must contain information pertinent only to the type and model of airplane used for that flight, including—

(1) Diagrams of, and methods of operating, the emergency exits;

(2) Other instructions necessary for use of emergency equipment; and

(3) No later than June 12, 2005, for Domestic and Flag scheduled passenger-carrying flights, the sentence, “Final assembly of this airplane was completed in [INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY].”

(c) The certificate holder shall describe in its manual the procedure to be followed in the briefing required by paragraph (a) of this section.

----

We are talking about section 3 here. There is no regulation requiring that the passengers be questioned.

And just for general reference, part 91:

§ 91.519 Passenger briefing.
(a) Before each takeoff the pilot in command of an airplane carrying passengers shall ensure that all passengers have been orally briefed on—

(1) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited. This briefing shall include a statement, as appropriate, that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with lighted passenger information signs and no smoking placards, prohibit smoking in lavatories, and require compliance with crewmember instructions with regard to these items;

(2) Use of safety belts and shoulder harnesses. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions it is necessary to have his or her safety belt and, if installed, his or her shoulder harness fastened about him or her. This briefing shall include a statement, as appropriate, that Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger sign and/or crewmember instructions with regard to these items;

(3) Location and means for opening the passenger entry door and emergency exits;

(4) Location of survival equipment;

(5) Ditching procedures and the use of flotation equipment required under §91.509 for a flight over water; and

(6) The normal and emergency use of oxygen equipment installed on the airplane.

(b) The oral briefing required by paragraph (a) of this section shall be given by the pilot in command or a member of the crew, but need not be given when the pilot in command determines that the passengers are familiar with the contents of the briefing. It may be supplemented by printed cards for the use of each passenger containing—

(1) A diagram of, and methods of operating, the emergency exits; and

(2) Other instructions necessary for use of emergency equipment.

(c) Each card used under paragraph (b) must be carried in convenient locations on the airplane for the use of each passenger and must contain information that is pertinent only to the type and model airplane on which it is used.

(d) For operations under subpart K of this part, the passenger briefing requirements of §91.1035 apply, instead of the requirements of paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section.

---

Emergency exits in part 91:

§ 91.607 Emergency exits for airplanes carrying passengers for hire.
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, no person may operate a large airplane (type certificated under the Civil Air Regulations effective before April 9, 1957) in passenger-carrying operations for hire, with more than the number of occupants—

(1) Allowed under Civil Air Regulations §4b.362 (a), (b), and (c) as in effect on December 20, 1951; or

(2) Approved under Special Civil Air Regulations SR–387, SR–389, SR–389A, or SR–389B, or under this section as in effect.

However, an airplane type listed in the following table may be operated with up to the listed number of occupants (including crewmembers) and the corresponding number of exits (including emergency exits and doors) approved for the emergency exit of passengers or with an occupant-exit configuration approved under paragraph (b) or (c) of this section.

----

These are the part 91 and 121 rules regarding emergency exits. There is no such regulation regarding the requirement to notify passengers that they are in the exit row; only the general notification of where the emergency exits are.

dogfighter2111

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:43 am

Last time when I flew BA Connect MAN-EDI I was in the Exit row of a Dash-8 and just as we were about to pushback one of the F/A's leant over my Gran and asked me to read over the Safety Card incase there was an emergency.

I thought they had to ask if you were willing to be responsible for opening the Exit in an emergency.

Thanks
Mike

bastew

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:14 am

In the UK, it is only a requirement to brief passengers sat at an emergency exit if it is a 'self help exit' (ie an exit where there are no cabin crew positioned). Examples would include the overwing exits on an A319/320 or 737.

If you are sat by an emergency door which is manned by a cabin crew, there is no need for you to be briefed. Although obviously if you have a broken leg or are 102 years old you won't be able to sit there.

In the event of a pre-meditated in-flight emergency an 'able body passenger' ( aircrew, police, military, fire etc) would be re-seated next to the door an the operation explained. Thats the theory anyway.  Wink

VHXLR8

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting BAStew (Reply 22):
If you are sat by an emergency door which is manned by a cabin crew, there is no need for you to be briefed. Although obviously if you have a broken leg or are 102 years old you won't be able to sit there.

It's the same in Australia; we only brief pax in the overwing exits on the 737s and 767s. Exit rows where there is a crew member (747/A330 etc) do not require a briefing; however we will move a person if it felt necessary.

TACAA320

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:18 pm

In a previous flight from SJO to EWR no verbally explanaition was done. TA do it consistently as a basic and security policy.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

luvfa

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:40 pm

At Southwest one F/A must stand at the exit row to verify that only those qualified can sit there, (open seating). No one who pre-boards may sit there! After boarding is finished, or the exit rows are full, we brief them. We remind them that they are in an exit row and their responsibilities, we inform them of the A/C they are on , (3, 5 or 700), and refer them to look at their safety card. We also ask them by verbal commitment that they are able and willing to assist. I f someone nods their head I ask them politely "Can you tell me" which 9 time out of 10 they do. We have to screen our exit rows all throughout boarding due to our open seating policy as there is no one to pre-screen them at the gate.

FlyboyOz

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:42 am

QF has another safety card for those pax who sit next to the emergency exit and also QF cabin crews can advise them whether he/she is strong enough to open the door.

UA and AC always ask the pax who sat next to the emergency exit.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

eajpecrca

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:44 am

I was in an exit row on Thursday, US CLT-PHL and the FA did engage me in a brief conversation that had nothing to do with the regs. I thought she was being friendly but now realize she may have been testing to find out if I understood English. However, she did not speak to the other 2 people in the row at all.

Darn, and here I thought it might be because I'm such a charmer! LOL! She was (and probably still is) an attractive woman!

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 18):
2 years ago, we did away with the verbal verification of exit row passengers.

I think on NW, it might be a matter of old dogs having trouble remembering the new tricks. They do always make the "We'd like to inform those of you seated in Row 9 that you are in an emergency exit row..." announcement, but generally seem to follow it up with a personal visit too.

corey07850

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:33 am

I had a situation once where I was in an exit row seat and there was a very elderly woman next to me whom I believe either had trouble walking or needed a cane to walk (something along those lines)... We were briefed on the exit row and the FA asked if we were able to perform the duties (lift the weight of the door etc etc), of course the elderly woman said she would be able to, but everyone knew she would not--including the FA.... Is there anything regarding removing a passenger after they have actually verbally said they are able to sit there, even though the FA's might think otherwise?

N1120A

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 15):
It's part of my job to know these things, but do I get a cookie anyhow?

No, you get to weight restrict a Brasilia to SGU  Silly

United always, always, always asks for verbal confirmation. In fact, they even come and do a secondary check to see if the exit row passengers were already asked just to cover their butts.

Quoting WeAreUnited (Reply 19):
So, I'm going to say for that that YES- it is an FAR.

As Goldenshield showed you, it is not in the FAR

Quoting Luvfa (Reply 25):
we inform them of the A/C they are on , (3, 5 or 700),

I have never had that part done on WN.

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 29):
Is there anything regarding removing a passenger after they have actually verbally said they are able to sit there, even though the FA's might think otherwise?

A F/A can remove any passenger, at any time, from any seat. This is particularly true of the exit row.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

UN_B732

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:49 pm

My last flights on KLM JFK-AMS-JFK nothing was said to any of the exit row pax at all about them being in an exit row.
On CoEx every time I'm asked - once I was kicked out by a slightly overzealous flight attendant (I'm 15 but he believed I couldn't perform the exit row duties - sometimes it's best just not to argue over an hour-long flight)
On CO mainline most of the time I'm asked, once I wasn't but that's because it was a heavily delayed flight and I believe the FAs simply forgot.

PS:
Is there anything regarding removing a passenger after they have actually verbally said they are able to sit there, even though the FA's might think otherwise?

I guess my experience would answer the question, and yes, they absolutely can. I didn't try to argue with the F/A in my case, but I understand that failing to follow crewmember instructions is a violation of FAR, even if they want you to move from your first class seat to coach for whatever reason.

[Edited 2006-11-25 04:52:46]
What now?

Bridogger6

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:48 pm

Actually HP FA's are required to make passengers vebally confirm, they cannot close the main cabin door until they have specifically breifed these passengers. So maybe US east no, but HP yes for now.

We're Nuts

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:56 pm

The exit row briefing is still required at Mesa. United wants us to turn planes in 24 minutes, but we manage to do it all somehow.
Dear moderators: No.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 33):
The exit row briefing is still required at Mesa.

That's funny. YV is 0 for 3 for me in the past 6 months.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
United always, always, always asks for verbal confirmation. In fact, they even come and do a secondary check to see if the exit row passengers were already asked just to cover their butts.

You're right... it's always been Express carriers who haven't asked me.

So we have...

UA: Yes
DL: Yes
NW: No, but many still do because it used to be required
US East: No (?)
US West: Yes
CO: Still some confusion
AA: No one seems to know
AS: Yes
OO: Yes
YV: Yes
WN: Yes

Seems that yes outnumbers no...

ludavid777

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:40 pm

My best friend is a FA at CO mainline and I got clarification. Their compnay policy is to read the following announcement prior to door closure (once all passengers have boarded.)

FOR CUSTOMERS SEATED IN A ROW OF SEATS IDENTIFIED BY THE WORDS "NO CHILDREN THIS ROW," PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO REVIEW THE SAFETY INFORMATION CARD AS WELL AS THE EXIT ROW SEATING CRITERIA CARD, BOTH FOUND IN YOUR SEAT POCKET. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO MEET THE STANDARDS OR UNWILLING OR UNABLE TO PERFORM THE ACTIONS POSSIBLY REQUIRED OF YOU IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY EVACUATION, PLEASE NOTIFY A FLIGHT ATTENDANT FOR RESEATING.

For their company the FAA has approved this as policy and is their procedure. They are actually trained that they are NOT to ask or approach customers anything about the exit row. They, however, are still required to VISUALLY verify all customers are physically able i.e. crutches, cast, visually impaired etc. Some FAs take it upon themselves to still verbally verify.. but it is strictly against company policy at CO. CO has this approved for their flights because they provide the traditional safety information card in ADDITION TO an EXIT ROW CRITERIA card which describes the FAA actions and standards for assessing and operating exits in that row in NINE DIFFERENT LANGUAGES. COex however is a separate airline and has separate airline operating procedures and YES they DO ask for verbal confirmation. I hope this clarifies any confusion regarding CO.

[Edited 2006-11-25 06:44:05]

aloha73g

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:07 pm

You can add AQ and HA to the list of airlines that do briefings and require a positive "yes" response from passengers seated in exit rows.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

NeptunesCar

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:16 pm

on a United flight on a 742 to HNL years ago, the FA did speak to the two passengers next to me, and they responded they were ok with the responsibility.

It wasnt until after takeoff and meal service started that she learned they were both blind....
You call it the world, we call it home. Pan Am.

lincoln

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting Ludavid777 (Reply 35):
My best friend is a FA at CO mainline and I got clarification. Their compnay policy is to read the following announcement prior to door closure (once all passengers have boarded.)

I should have included that bit in my original reply about CO; every flight I've been on has included the "For Customers..." announcement, occassionally several times.

I personally have my doubts about how effective it is because (a) The announcement is made in the middle of several other announcements and is only made in English, and (b) The "No Children This Row" sticker is rather small and only on the window...but hey, the FAA approved it, and they are consistant about it, so I guess I have no reason for concern.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

AirframeAS

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:41 pm

Ive never seen the FA's do it on AS, QX, or WN. BUT.... Ive seen it done once on UA. HP's FA has done it on EVERY flight I've been on.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

TACAA320

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting Ludavid777 (Reply 35):

FOR CUSTOMERS SEATED IN A ROW OF SEATS IDENTIFIED BY THE WORDS "NO CHILDREN THIS ROW," PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO REVIEW THE SAFETY INFORMATION CARD AS WELL AS THE EXIT ROW SEATING CRITERIA CARD, BOTH FOUND IN YOUR SEAT POCKET. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO MEET THE STANDARDS OR UNWILLING OR UNABLE TO PERFORM THE ACTIONS POSSIBLY REQUIRED OF YOU IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY EVACUATION, PLEASE NOTIFY A FLIGHT ATTENDANT FOR RESEATING.

What happen if the passenger don't speak nor understand a single word of English ?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

airplaneboy

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:56 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 36):
You can add AQ and HA to the list of airlines that do briefings and require a positive "yes" response from passengers seated in exit rows.

F9 as well.

Also, like HP, this verbal confirmation must be received before the main cabin door may be closed.

Cheers

WNCrew

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:23 pm

The actual FAR 121.585(b) Exit Seating - states:

No certificate holder may seat a person in a seat affected by this section if the certificate holder determines that it is likely that the person would be unable to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section because:

(1)the person lacks sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs.
*sections (i) through (x) describe actual mobility details and what is required*

*(2) speaks of being 15 years of age...

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 40):
What happen if the passenger don't speak nor understand a single word of English ?

SECTION (3)
the person lacks the ability to read and understand instructions required by this section and related to emergency evacuation provided by the certificate holder in printed or graphic form or the ability to understand oral crew commands.
SKIP to section (6)
the person lacks the ability to adequately impart information orally to other passengers....

SOOO; do they have to speak English? In short, no, BUT they have to understand visual instructions "provided by the certificate holder..AKA AIRLINE" as well as verbal crew commands...AND be able to "impart" those instructions orally to other passengers. So, if the airline is English Speaking on a Domestic Flight and the crew instructions will be in English (at least in the US) then YES, you do have to speak English....how else would you be able to share my instructions with other passengers and how would I know you understand me if you don't speak English? Here at WN we are required to brief the exit rows and make sure they are okay with sitting there...all done before FWD door closure. But as far as what the manual states we are not required to get a verbal yes or no.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Goldenshield

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 42):
The actual FAR 121.585(b) Exit Seating - states:

Whoops. I forgot that one. Too many regs to browse through that quickly.  Smile

Either way, my point still stands:

It's not a regulation [to get a confirmation], but an F.A.A. inspector can bust you for failing to follow the F.A.A. approved procedure for your airline.

UN_B732

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:07 am

Does B6 do it? I believe they do from my memory, adding B6 & ExpressJet to the list
What now?

USAFHummer

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 44):

Does B6 do it?

Yes, when I flew B6 last week I noticed the f/a giving the exit row passengers a briefing...

On an ASA CRJ-700 on Thursday, the f/a simply asked if we were aware that we were sitting in an exit row...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

bastew

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 31):

At BA YES we will re-seat anyone that we feel would be unable to open the door, or, become an obstruction to an evacuation.

Slightly off topic, but we also have to re-seat any male adult passenger travelling alone that has inadvertantly been assigned a seat next to an un-accompanied minor. Always a difficult one to negotiate!

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 31):
My last flights on KLM JFK-AMS-JFK nothing was said to any of the exit row pax at all about them being in an exit row.

The EU-wide joint aviation requirements states only passengers sat at a 'self help exit' (one where there are no cabin crew nearby) to be briefed.

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 3):
threatening to yank the passenger sitting next to me because first she nodded ("Ma'am, I need you to tell me 'yes' or 'no' out loud.

I was on an FL flight ATL-GSO once, and the FA actually did kick the guy next to me out of the exit row for not answering the question properly. He was an American, so he understood what she was saying but he was clearly narked about something, I think he'd changed seats. Anyway, the FA comes and asks us all the question, and this guy just nods, she says she needs a verbal confirmation, he just kind of grunts at her, so she moves him to the back of the plane. He tried to move back before we started to taxi, but she caught him and sent him back again. Haha!
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

We're Nuts

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:35 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 34):
That's funny. YV is 0 for 3 for me in the past 6 months.

I dunno what to tell you. On the -200 it is one more of the many things we have to do before departure and I understand if it gets forgotten, but when I fly the briefing is always done and most of the crewmembers I work with are the same way. Able-bodied assistants are that much more important on single-FA aircraft.
Dear moderators: No.

mats

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:45 am

I still want to smack "Tiffani," an ExpressJet flight attendant. She gave me an un-called-for lecture because I nodded instead of her required "verbal yes." Now perhaps Tiffani was having a bad day, but she took it upon herself to embarass me in front of other passengers.

I had just flown in from Buenos Aires, on my third and last flight of the day, I was tired and nodded. Tiffani could have been kind and said, "Oh, you actually have to say something. It's just their rule." But she chose to make a scene.

I was too worn-out to send a letter of complaint. I had an overall very good trip with Continental, but she sure got on an impressive power trip. If I ever see her again (she is CLE-based), I will pull her aside and tell her that she was personally insulting and humiliating. Thank goodness she's the exception to the rule.