shamrock350

RE: Suas San Aer...Irish Aviation No. 24!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:46 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 49):
So far, they haven't been charging for it; I have used it twice already and find it very useful.

I thought EI had charged me without me knowing it! I agree it's very useful and something I thought FR would have added first.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 49):
As soon as this can be clarified and EI can expand, I'd expect it to be in a position to place an order, but frankly, I don't see why it is waiting.

The longer they wait the less chance they will get A330s for 2008 and the current 330s can't last till 2009 let alone 2013 when the 787 or A350 is available, I'm not saying the A330 is sold out till then but with the XWB launched and ready to be ordered, Airbus are going to be giving away A330s as interim.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Here's the Independent's take on this:

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...3?ca=186&si=1736391&issue_id=14968

I tend to disagree with the Indo; I don't think this is necessarily a blow, in that we expected it to happen and the sooner it happened, the better. The two sides will meet soon to discuss how things can go forward.

However, the question is, where now for EI: the government needs to hold urgent talks with the EU, with a view to getting clearance to expand its t/a links. This situation could go on for years, so the government needs to clarify that it is the EU's intention that Ireland's t/a links should stay "as is" as long as this is te case. If that is the EU's position, then the next step needs to be legal action, on the grounds of competition law.

There are several key questions arising from the EU's action, on which the ECJ needs to rule. The government should then press ahead in seeking a "side deal" with the US, which would allow t/a routes to continue; if that involves "opting out" of the whole process, so be it. What Ireland wants is completely reasonable; if the EU objects, then the only option will be to walk away and negotiate a separate deal. I think there are some very difficult talks to come, but the government must leave the EU with absolutely no doubt that it will take action on its own if the EU continues to block us.

jwmd123

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:35 pm

Just seen on the live news feeds that the UK are going to increase the passenger duty on most flights to £10 from £5.

Being a 100% increase on the current level, I wonder would this have an impact on the operations of FR in the UK market?

It may not seem much but I think this could be the start of the UK looking to take measures to lower it's emissions from aviation.

shamrock350

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:50 am

It wont stop people flying and where is the proof that the money raised here in the UK will go to lowering emissions. The UK government have not said specifically how the money raised will be used to reduce emissions but I have not seen Gordon Brown's speech yet so there may be more information.

I wonder what FR think about yet more taxes on air travel introduced by the British government!

Poitin

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 43):
Germans? You are not serious are you? The blames is on the other side of Atlantic.

Let's drop this -- it is off topic and I didn't mean my remark to get so far out of hand.

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 52):
Just seen on the live news feeds that the UK are going to increase the passenger duty on most flights to £10 from £5.

Being a 100% increase on the current level, I wonder would this have an impact on the operations of FR in the UK market?

It may not seem much but I think this could be the start of the UK looking to take measures to lower it's emissions from aviation.

I believe that it is the EU which is now pushing the "emissions" tax, which is the only way it would work as now everyone has to charge for it, thus "leveling" the playing field tax-wise. As to whether this tax will go to any useful purpose remains to be seen. In short, 1) it will happen, 2) everyone will bitch, 3) they pay it, 4) the politicians will spend the money on something useless.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

aerarann

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:29 am

The RE base at IOM is to close early january.

IOM - LTN will stop.

Better Timings on WAT - LTN as well as new UK services expected to be announced within the next few weeks.

[Edited 2006-12-06 19:30:04]

Poitin

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 55):
The RE base at IOM is to close early january.
IOM - LPL will stop.

IOM has lost much of its mystic for business travel over the last several years with the tightening of offshore banking regulations. I am not surprised that they are moving out of IOM. Except for the Mann TT race, there is little reason to go there anymore.

At one time you had to make a 7AM flight (Manx Airlines) to IOM from DUB and it was always full and they charged about E 200 return (at 5PM). But that was several years ago.

How's my favorite Irish airline (RE) doing otherwise? Several months ago I was told the RE couldn't find its way out of a paper bag. I don't see much information about them except in your postings, which I deeply appreciate.

aerarann

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:53 am

Cheers Poitin,

Well someone has to keep the RE spirit alive.

There keeping there heads low at the moment and licking their wounds from several unsucessful route launches.

However, with a new management including Garry Cullen and a new head of marketing, Things are looking upwards.

The French Summer 07 routes have been announced with less frequencies than previously seen, however i believe more new routes are due to be announced shortly.

The rumour of DUB - HUY and DUB - CAX (Carlisle), are still floating about, i personally hope there launched, but all it is at the moment is a rumour.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:24 am

RE flew an ORK-JER service last Summer; it was a bit too early in the day for connections. "Connections at Cork," you say?! However, don't forget that there are domestic connections from ORK to BHD, GWY and DUB; with EI now cutting services down to two a week, it would be nice if RE could fill in the route and operate 3 times a week. There is quite a healthy population of Irish people in Jersey (a good 10%, I'd imagine) and with extra air travel taxes now - and various other costs - through the UK, it's getting more and more expensive to get back to Ireland.

I read something earlier today which disturbed and disappointed me - and can't find the darn thing now! Basically, EI's labour costs have risen VERY substantially over the past 3 years (a figure of 29% was given) and its average salary, at €72k a year, is second only to Lufty in Europe and considerably ahead of FR, whose labour costs have risen by only 4%. This is a horrendous figure and if I were an investor, I'd be shocked. Of course, if I were an investor, I'd have FR to be indignant for me; after all, why bark when there's a rottweiler living on your street already!

Seriously, though, that's a HELL of a rise and it certainly gives some truth to FR claims that EI hasn't controlled costs in recent years. What the hell is happening here?

(I'll dig around for the article and post it.)

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:43 am

Here's that story, from Business World:

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=1579259;s=rollingnews.htm

Personally, I'm shocked that a low cost carrier could allow costs to increase so significantly over such a short period.

aerarann

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:47 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 58):
it would be nice if RE could fill in the route and operate 3 times a week

I feel that this route will be re-launched, as well as ORK - NQY.

I'll Keep ya posted.

smokeyrosco

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:32 am

and its average salary, at €72k a year

This is the problem I've been spouting about for a while and why EI's cleaning and catering should be out sourced. If we take one example of just the average ramper in EI, they are the highest paid at their level, usually only work 5 hour days (paid for 7 or 8). get very decent shift/saturday/sunday/bank holiday pay. The productivity of the rampers in EI compared with the rest of the Airport at DUB and SNN at least is a lot lower then ALL other companies that are applicable. Not to mention some of the Staff that moved from Team AerLingus they when they sold out to FLS and kept there salary which was exorbitant to say the least for someone working on the ramp or a cleaner.

If EI managed to clear out these High earners that should be on salaries of 20-30K they would save MILLIONS a year in salaries alone never mind benefits O/T and holiday pay.

[Edited 2006-12-06 21:33:27]
John Hancock

pilot21

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 61):
The productivity of the rampers in EI compared with the rest of the Airport at DUB and SNN at least is a lot lower then ALL other companies that are applicable.

Glad to see nothing has changed! I worked on the ramp at DUB in 1997, and the EI baggage guys had the life! While it was funny to see, if you thought about how much it was adding to the price of a ticket (and how much it was taking off the bottom line) it was criminal!
The example I saw, was that the baggage guys were put into teams of 6, but they'd make sure 8 were rostered -reason I was given = in case a few guys didn't turn up, so if all 8 turned up, the extra 2 would sit in the mess hall and watch cable TV.

I'm sure even DM has to be concerned at some of the practices that still go on, even if they were cleaned up a bit after 9/11
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

Poitin

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:17 am

If EI managed to clear out these High earners that should be on salaries of 20-30K they would save MILLIONS a year in salaries alone never mind benefits O/T and holiday pay.

HUH! Are you working for MOL now?  Big grin

I read something earlier today which disturbed and disappointed me - and can't find the darn thing now! Basically, EI's labour costs have risen VERY substantially over the past 3 years (a figure of 29% was given) and its average salary, at €72k a year, is second only to Lufty in Europe and considerably ahead of FR, whose labour costs have risen by only 4%. This is a horrendous figure and if I were an investor, I'd be shocked. Of course, if I were an investor, I'd have FR to be indignant for me; after all, why bark when there's a rottweiler living on your street already!

This is the cost of living in Ireland, were the average 1500 square foot house in Cahirsiveen costs E300,000. Only God knows what is the price in and around Dublin. My family comes from the central part of Co Cavan and they are building houses as fast as they can for people to buy so they can commute to Dublin on N3 (a basically two lane road) for the better part of 90 to 100 miles. The last I looked those houses were going for E400,000 or better, and most of them are small with no real land around them.

When you stop to consider that your housing market point is roughly three times your annual salary (that is you can "afford" to buy a house that costs three times your annual salary), then they should be making E100,000 a year.

This gets back to my earlier points about just how wonderful joining the EU was for Ireland in reality. The question I ask is if these people loose their jobs or have to take a pay cut, where do they go to live? Housing is absurd in all of Ireland.

EI problems come in large part because SIPTU and IMPACT were striving to keep their members salary in line with the cost of living in Ireland, which has escalated massively in the last 10 years.

Quoting AerArann (Reply 57):
Cheers Poitin,

Well someone has to keep the RE spirit alive.

There keeping there heads low at the moment and licking their wounds from several unsuccessful route launches.

I suspect that RE will figure out what it needs to do. They have a super edge in their aircraft, with Flybe being their serious competition in the under 400 mile route business. That doesn't mean they will succeed, but they have the right aircraft. They should pretty much clean up the inter-lreland routes if they play their cards right.

In any case, I am cheering for them.

aerarann

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:35 am

Does anyone remember reading about a DUB-WAT service being launched?

Im thinking maybe RE will utilise the WAT based aircraft for a WAT-DUB-WAT sector?

PenPusher

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 22):

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 22):
Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 12):
Also, an EI A330 was towed from the gate area around to the hanger area yesterday, is this EI-CRK that is due the updated cabin? Can't wait to see what its like when finished. Hope its something that will really put EI back in the spotlight, not just something that is only half decent and something that other airlines had years ago.

I hope that what Penpusher said in the last thread was true. Hopefully EI will dazzle us with new lie flat beds but I hope they don't follow the new trend of having the seat at an angle like VS and DL.
If they don't go all out and just come up with a new seat that reclines a bit more but basically does all the same jobs as the current seats they would have made a big mistake if they want to fly East. I doubt they've done that though

Hello All

I am back after some time off, nice to see my previous message was read!. Yes the seats are on the way for EI-CRK and they are Seats, not Beds, manufactured by Sicma Aero Seat and sound like the 2006 version of what is already installed but with additional PC power points etc. IMHO you will not see any Beds, new IFE or other 'fancy stuff' on the existing fleet.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:16 am

I recall DM saying that he thought the whole business of beds and competition between the blue chip airlines on this front had gone a bit too far; I mean, have you seen the size of the new Business Class seat on the new Singapore Airlines 777-300ER; I mean, Holy wide berth, Batman!

So, I don't expect to see beds, but I do think it's reasonable to expect a more modern seat, bigger screens - and for God's sake, new carpet! This should go into the four existing A330-300s (of which CRK is one). I will expect the new A330-300 and -200 and the existing -200s to have a new IFE product in Y Class, however.

The problem for EI right now, of course, is that the whole Open Skies thing is so "up in the air" (ahem!) that it's difficult for them to plan. I think that if there wasn't a dog's chance for new t/a routes, they would have gone ahead with plans for new Asian routes, but I think that they are just waiting for the green light from Kildare St; I think, ultimately, that will be given. However, they will need to acquire some new acft before this happens (or secondhand aircraft, or indeed, whatever they can get at short notice). We're now in early December, so they will really need to know, at the very latest, by the end of January - possibly into February - what they can do.

shamrock350

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:18 am

Hi PenPusher!
Too bad about the bed/seats. I suppose Aer Lingus wouldn't be spending lots of money on current A330s at the rate they are breaking down. So will the whole A330 fleet get this update and do you know what is planned for the new A330s Premier Class which will be ready for re-launch in April 2007 (according to the Aer Lingus circular)

Thanks for the information PenPusher.
 Smile

smokeyrosco

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting Poitin (Reply 63):
HUH! Are you working for MOL now?

Nope, I'm just saying what I always said. but the is something EI can manage if they are tactful with the unions. The only real difference with FR is that if SIPTU decide to strike FR has a pool of staff it could probably use to keep EI in the air (with the exception of pilots and F/A's)

They should pretty much clean up the inter-lreland routes

Most inter-ireland routes are all PSO routes which is why RE has been cleaning up until now. the difficulty RE has now is trying to establish itself on international routes. With PSO routes it matters not how full the plane is as long as it gets there RE gets paid.

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 64):
DUB-WAT service being launched

Didn't there used to be a DUB-WAT route with FR about two or three years ago?
John Hancock

Poitin

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 68):
Nope, I'm just saying what I always said. but the is something EI can manage if they are tactful with the unions. The only real difference with FR is that if SIPTU decide to strike FR has a pool of staff it could probably use to keep EI in the air (with the exception of pilots and F/A's)

Not disagreeing with you, but I thought the pilots had their own union, while the FA were in IMPACT. I can obviously be wrong about that as I have not looked at EI's union issues in depth.

As for tactful with unions, I would call SIPTU not at all tactful.

We do agree that EI has a serious labor cost issue. Just how it gets resolved is to be seen, but I think we will be looking at a much leaner and more profitable EI a year from now. That's a polite way of saying "the sh##e is about to hit the EI fan." Things are going to have to change. Just who does it and how is the great mystery, and will probably surprise us all.

They should pretty much clean up the inter-lreland routes

Most inter-ireland routes are all PSO routes which is why RE has been cleaning up until now. the difficulty RE has now is trying to establish itself on international routes. With PSO routes it matters not how full the plane is as long as it gets there RE gets paid.

Not being in the aviation industry directly, I do not know what a PSO route is, but RE is not an international airline because they do no have the proper aircraft. They are flying very short range turboprops which are suited for the under 500 KM routes, which doesn't get to the coast of France. While their aircraft may be able to go further, they would be much better off with regional Jets, much like Flybe is doing.

They should and probably will stick to inter-Ireland and some UK destinations.

If PSO means they are paid a fixed fee by someone to fly the route regardless, then more power to them. That is smart.

As for their load factors, I have seen no numbers.

I am not saying RE is a guaranteed success story, because it can easily screw up and disappear. But either Flybe or RE will dominate the inter-island routes unless someone else joins the fun with turboprop aircraft. I don't see EI or FR doing it, although I do see MOL buying one or the other (most likely Flybe).
./

Toulouse

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 69):
Not being in the aviation industry directly, I do not know what a PSO route is

PSO stands for Public Service Obligation. PSO routes are routes (contract the fly the routes) following an EU public tender. These PSO routes are awarded by the Transport Department.

[Edited 2006-12-07 17:15:26]
Long live Aer Lingus!

abc9

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:00 am

€72k a year, is second only to Lufty in Europe

Second only to BA in fact - only 8 airlines were surveyed in this and LH were'nt one of them

This is the cost of living in Ireland

Certainly a contributory factor

EI's cleaning and catering should be out sourced

Also a contributory factor

Didn't there used to be a DUB-WAT route with FR about two or three years ago?

As I recall FR flew it for a while but it was a short-lived service

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:16 am

I think FR may have flown it, but many, many years ago - when they had ATR42s, although to be frank, I can't remember them actually having done so; the only airline I recall flying this route was Aer Lingus Commuter - although I can't positively remember if it was with Saab 340s or Fokker 50s.

I always regret the number of EI types I never got to fly in - mainly the Saab 340 and BAC111!

abc9

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 72):
BAC111!

Quite an experience, especially if you were sitting down the back - one of the noisiest hoors in the sky, second only to the old BA Tridents. 30 minutes after landing you still felt as if you'd just walked out of a Deep Purple concert

Toulouse

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting ABC9 (Reply 73):
Quite an experience, especially if you were sitting down the back - one of the noisiest hoors in the sky, second only to the old BA Tridents. 30 minutes after landing you still felt as if you'd just walked out of a Deep Purple concert

Very true! I remember quite a number of flights on EI 111's and they were certainly one noisy bird (nearly as bad as the Caravelles). I also have faint memories of flying on BA's Tridents (that plane used to fascinate me when I was a kid). Oh the memories...

I must admit I had totally forgotten the Saab 340's in EI's fleet (yet they were only there for a few years in the early 90's, I think). The closest I ever got to Aer Lingus Commuter was flying home from Madrid to Dublin one year when they stuck one of their 146's on the route with the "Aer Lingus Commuters". One of the worst flights I've ever had, there was a problem with one of the toilets and the plane stank the whole way to Dublin.
Long live Aer Lingus!

EIDAA

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:52 am

Seeing the mention of the old Saab 340s brings back memories for me actually - not old enough to remember the BAC111s! Sorry guys!

I was lucky enough to have quite a few flights in the Saabs from Galway (where I lived at the time) to Dublin before catching connecting flights to LHR and then RUH with BA! I think I did the round trip four times between early 1993 and mid 1994. Seven of the eight domestic flights were on the 340s, with the 8th being a canceled 340 flight a few days before Christmas '93 due to weather - ended up being flown on (I think) an old Tower Air jumbo from Shannon to Dublin, right up in the nose-cone!

Can't believe that is 13 years ago!
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

shamrock350

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 74):
The closest I ever got to Aer Lingus Commuter was flying home from Madrid to Dublin one year when they stuck one of their 146's

I used to fly EI commuter from LCY to DUB and some other routes within Ireland. We used to get a full Irish Breakfast, well I got a slice of toast because I was too young to eat all of that food!  Smile
I always got a 146 but back then I didn't know what type it was so to me it could have been a 737, F50 or A330!
I may have been young but I can still remember most of the flights and looking out the windows at SNN's red air bridges.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:17 am

The earliest flight I can remember was on St. Patrick's Day, 1981; I took what was then the EI 150, the early flight to London, on a 737-200 (can't remember which one). It was free seating, one class then, although Executive Class was introduced on London routes that Summer. I have a distinct memory of having trouble with my ears and being given boiled sweets. They didn't work; they wouldn't stay in my ear.

As you can imagine, the Dublin Airport of 1981 (handling around 2.2m passengers a year - less than SNN does now and not much more than ORK) is ever so slightly different from the DUB of today ...

Which brings me very neatly onto this story. The DAA has announced a plan to build an extension onto the existing terminal, to be operational by Summer 2008. More check in desks and shops ... When is that new underground area going to be open?

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusin...ews/publish/article_10008382.shtml

EI787

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:26 am

DAA Press Release:

Quote:
DAA to build €50m extension to Terminal One

The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) is to build a €50m extension to the existing Terminal building at Dublin Airport.

The 7,500 square metre extension, which will be built at the north-western corner of the terminal, will provide additional space for passengers, check-in desks, and additional retail space. The new facility will be delivered on a phased basis and the first elements of the new extension will be available for use in the spring of 2008.

The extension to Terminal One is part of a €2bn capital development programme to transform Dublin Airport over the next 10 years. The programme also includes the construction of T2, the provision of a new runway, and a host of other upgrades and improvements to the entire airport campus.

DAA chief executive Declan Collier said the €50m extension to Terminal One “will provide much needed extra space for customers and help improve the passenger experience at Dublin Airport”.

He added that in tandem with the T2 project, the DAA is also working on a broad range of improvements that will benefit the users of Terminal One by delivering additional capacity and refurbishments on a phased basis. “This €50m investment in Terminal One is one of a number of projects that we are working on to radically improve the customer experience for all passengers using Dublin Airport,” he said. “Over the next five years we will be investing about €450m in Terminal One related projects. This spend includes the T1 extension, the construction of Pier D, new apron works, a major roads and kerbs upgrade and a large number of internal refurbishments and upgrades.”

A planning application for the Terminal One extension was lodged today (Thursday Dec 7th) with Fingal County Council. Subject to planning, building work is due to begin next year and the Terminal One extension will be completed in the autumn of 2008.

The northern end of Terminal One is being expanded to help cope with the huge growth in passengers departing from Pier A and the new Pier D, which will open in the autumn of next year. More than 12 million passengers are expected to use Piers A and D during 2008, a 40% increase on the current passenger volumes in this area

The new triangular-shaped extension is a two-storey building with a mezzanine that will expand the existing terminal at the departures level, the arrivals level and the mezzanine level. The extension will sit on a number of concrete columns above ground level so that the apron area below the building can be retained for use by ground handlers and other aviation related services.

At departures level, the new extension will provide space for a reconfigured check-in area that will have 20 check-in desks with significant additional space for passengers. Beyond the passenger security area, the project will create a larger circulation area for passengers en route to Pier A and Pier D. The new extension will also provide an enhanced airside retail and food and beverage offering. Passengers will enter this new area from the Pier A end of the existing retail ‘Street’, where a new café style outlet will be located.

The extension to Terminal One has been designed by a consortium headed by ADPi, working in conjunction with the DAA’s internal capital projects team. ADPi, which is a subsidiary of Aeroports de Paris, is one of the world’s leading designers of passenger terminals.

Meanwhile work is almost complete on a new lower ground floor check-in area in Terminal One that will be available at the end of the year. This will provide 25 extra check-in desks capable of handling four million passengers per year and should help mitigate the impact of congestion at Dublin Airport during peak travel periods, while T2 is being built.

Ends

For further information contact:
Vincent Wall, Communications Director, DAA
Tel 01 8144107, 0876860727

Paul O’Kane, Communications Manager, Airport Development Programme, DAA
Tel 01 8141897, 086 6090221

Editor’s Note

Dublin Airport Development Programme
The DAA plans to invest €2bn to transform Dublin Airport over the next decade. The largest element of the programme is T2, a new passenger terminal for Dublin that is due to open in the autumn of 2009. The new terminal will cost €395m while the overall T2 project, which includes Pier E, apron works, campus road upgrades and a major utilities upgrade will cost just over €600m.

Pier D, a new €120m departures area, is currently under construction and will open next autumn. It will be the first major piece of infrastructure delivered under the DAA’s plan to transform Dublin Airport.

T1X Consortium
ADPi, a subsidiary of Aeroports de Paris is one of the world’s leading airport designers and the lead architect for the T1 Extension. The consortium also includes RPS, CH2M Hill, Bruce Shaw Partnership, Broadway Malyan, and KMD architects.

http://www.dublinairportauthority.co...-centre/press-releases/252006.html

EDIT: Some pics of the extension

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/map_TX1.jpg
http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T1X_departures.jpg
http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T1X_External.jpg
http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T1X_Mezzanine.jpg

[Edited 2006-12-07 19:28:48]

smokeyrosco

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:37 am

Interesting... me thinks it's trying to defer any attempt at T3 which in theory should be in competition with the DAA. It's still not that big or should I say big enough.

To add to that, didn't the DAA sell of there 3% share holding in some airport(s) somewhere recently for €50m?

[Edited 2006-12-07 19:40:21]
John Hancock

pilot21

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:36 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 79):
To add to that, didn't the DAA sell of there 3% share holding in some airport(s) somewhere recently for €50m?

Yeah, Hamburg for E30MM.

This was also at the end of the article in todays' Irish Times:

Meanwhile, Ryanair has indicated to the European Commission it would be prepared to give up some slots at eight airports - Heathrow, Stansted, Frankfurt, Paris, Milan, Rome, Bratislava and Barcelona - as part of the terms of any acquisition of Aer Lingus.

As mentioned before, so very nice of FR to give up slots at 6 of the 8 airports that EI operates to!

In relation to EI aircraft I had the pleasure of flying:

B737-200/400/500
Shorts 360
B747-100
A320
A321
A330
& Bae146 - They gave a great take-off performance out of LCY. The brakes are held while the engines are pushed to full thrust and then off you go, it seems like you are only moving for about 6 or 7 secs before you lift off.
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

Toulouse

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 80):
& Bae146 - They gave a great take-off performance out of LCY. The brakes are held while the engines are pushed to full thrust and then off you go, it seems like you are only moving for about 6 or 7 secs before you lift off.

Totally off the Irish topic, but had that experience on one of LH's avros taking off from Florence a couple of years ago which is also quite a difficult airport (short runway, mountains at one end and main road and apartments very close to the other end). The whole plane shuddered as the pushed to full thrust with the brakes on, and then, zoom, flung back into your seats and off you go,it was a great sensation.
Long live Aer Lingus!

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:52 am

I flew into FLR earlier this year, doing an article with Meridiana and it's certainly an interesting airport; a full power t/o on a 319 is certainly an interesting experience.

I was thinking about the whole Open Skies issue today and a few thoughts arose:

- When the EU Commission got the power to negotiate bilaterals on behalf of ALL EU member states, it was naturally assumed that it would do so in the interests of ALL of those states - not just a small number.

- The EU seems to have missed completely the UK govt's approach; neither BA nor VS want hordes of new EU and US carriers (oh, and Bmi too!) muscling in on their key LHR-US route. How to frustrate this? Demand something they know will completely derail the negotiations: the ability to buy more of US carriers than anyone in the US is willing to tolerate. BA tabled the possibility of buying AA ...

- The EU has used its discretion unfairly, based on practicality rather than anything else. In doing so, it has magnified the competitive disadvantage faced by EI and Ireland. (That should be "ultra vires" automatically).

- Given the time taken for court actions to come to the ECJ, a member state should have the right to take action to correct any competitive disadvantage imposed by the EU Commission, directly or indirectly.

- The govt should ask the Commission to state, in clear and unambiguous terms: is it the Commission's intention that, even if Open Skies negotiations continue to go as they are, with no clear end in sight, it will continue to refuse permission to the Irish govt to change its bilateral. The Commission should also be asked to state reasons for exercising its discretion against Ireland.

EI787

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:03 am

According to another forum, the QF 707 on its way back to Australia will be flying in to DUB from Southend tomorrow arriving about 0930-1000.

It leaves Southend at 0830.

From DUB, it will travel on to TFS, before continuing onto Bermuda, Orlando, Long Beach, Honolulu, Nadi and Sydney.

Spotters prepare!

pilot21

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 78):
Some pics of the extension

Thanks for the article/pics EI787

As Smokeyrosco mentioned, probably not big enough, and yet another appendage added to the original Terminal building, the DAA should get sponsorship from Band-aid, because all that seems to hold the whole place together is sticky tape!

Looking at the overview diagram, once Pier D is up and running and most of FR's flights move to it, why don't the DAA enlarge the Pier A octagon, add a 2nd level - departures, and throw on 6 or so airbridges? It doesn't have to be able to handle widebody aircraft, but if EI and a few others could operate upto 6 or 7 planes on airbridges there, it would free up a ton of space for the widebodies at Pier B, and mean the reduction of space around Pier C isn't felt as badly during Pier E's construction.
(Any chance they'll rename the Pier's to follow some sort of logic once they are all built??)

jwmd123

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:38 pm

I would not mind being the 20millionth passenger today. A very important day in Irish aviation and shows the need for the additional facilities whom ever they are from:

Airport to welcome 20 millionth passenger
08/12/2006 - 07:00:24

Dublin Airport is celebrating a milestone today with more than 20,000,000 passengers passing through its doors for the first time in one year.

The airport police and fire services brass band will be on hand shortly after midday to welcome the passenger who will be the 20 millionth person to travel through the airport this year.

The airport boasted a record number of passengers in the first six months of the year with almost 10 million people using the facility. The Dublin Airport Authority said this was a 15% increase on the same period last year.

More than two million passengers used the airport during June. The strongest growth during the first six months was experienced in traffic between Ireland and Europe which rose by 25% with 4.4 million people flying the routes.

More than 586,000 passengers travelled to and from North America during the first half of the year.

abc9

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 75):
not old enough to remember the BAC111s! Sorry guys!

Not as sorry as I am !

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 74):
I had totally forgotten the Saab 340's

I know you don't have access from where you are Toulouse, but anytime there's a story about aviation on the RTE news they just show antiquated footage from DUB of EI Saab 340s, 737s, 146s and I even recently saw a clip with a Shorts 360 in it - they're only short of B&W footage of 741s and 707s.

During the biuld-up to flotation, the Irish Times regularly had a photo of the apron in Dublin with 146s and 737s prevalent.

Lazy reporting/research in both cases.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 77):
I have a distinct memory of having trouble with my ears and being given boiled sweets. They didn't work; they wouldn't stay in my ear.

Don't laugh, as a kid I used to think that was what they were for.

The DAA has announced a plan to build an extension onto the existing terminal, to be operational by Summer 2008.

Here we go again - adding "bits". Far too many cooks involved here - reminds me of the old story of the definition of a camel - a horse designed by a committee.

vsflyer747400

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:48 pm

The earliest flight I can remember was on St. Patrick's Day, 1981

You got me by a few weeks - Easter monday of that year DUB-LHR flying on EI-ANG (st declan), amazing how 1st flights stick in the memory. Although I have vague recollections of flying on a BEA trident many years before on the same route with my parents. Since that time I think I must have flown with every carrier that has been on the London-Dublin route but I will always carry a special place in my heart for EI  hearts  and long may that continue!!
Flown (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA ZB AE(AIR EUROPE) KD

Toulouse

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting ABC9 (Reply 86):
I know you don't have access from where you are Toulouse, but anytime there's a story about aviation on the RTE

That's about to change... next Tuesday. Recently found out a way of getting Sky Ireland abroad (you ahve to do it in a round-about-way without telling Sky you're living abroad, yet some 30% of their clients are Irish and British people mainly in France and Spain), so as of next Tuesday (if the local satellite installers isn't too baffled by the Sky manual) I'll have the joys of watching quality RTE1, RTE2, TV3 even TnaG and a wide range of other stations. To be honest, it's my Christmas gift for myself. After 14 years living abraod, installing all sorts of satellite systems in the hope of getting Irish TV and only ever finding 100's of German channels and having to content myslef with listening to Irish radio via the internet, this actually makes me feel a step closer to home will still being abroad!
Long live Aer Lingus!

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm

I wish I could do that Toulouse; I can get RTE radio through Sky, but not TV. I would absolutely love to be able to get Irish TV in Jersey!

Not sure if I mentioned this, but the EU Transport will hold a meeting with the Commission next Tuesday, to discuss the position re Open Skies and where to go from here. Expect MC to put up a pretty strong criticism of the EU's position and to fight for Ireland to be allowed a special deal. If the EU Commission continues to be intransigent, Ireland will have no option but to opt out and take the Commission to Court. One way or the other, we need to get this nonsense sorted out by next Summer.

Danny

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 78):
The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) is to build a €50m extension to the existing Terminal building at Dublin Airport.

Another temporary solution. The airport looks like a mess already soon it will look like Heathrow. Lots of different construction build ad hoc and without any master plan.

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 80):
Meanwhile, Ryanair has indicated to the European Commission it would be prepared to give up some slots at eight airports - Heathrow, Stansted, Frankfurt, Paris, Milan, Rome, Bratislava and Barcelona - as part of the terms of any acquisition of Aer Lingus.

As mentioned before, so very nice of FR to give up slots at 6 of the 8 airports that EI operates to!

That reveals a bit of MOL's true plan for EI which is to dismantle short-haul arm of EI completely.

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 85):
The airport police and fire services brass band will be on hand shortly after midday to welcome the passenger who will be the 20 millionth person to travel through the airport this year.

Midday hmmm, I guess I'll be arriving too late  Wink

Toulouse

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 89):
I wish I could do that Toulouse; I can get RTE radio through Sky, but not TV. I would absolutely love to be able to get Irish TV in Jersey!

You can Kaitak, but you'll need to swap your British Sky viewing card for a Republic of Ireland Sky viewing card. All you need is an address in Ireland which you give sky. I needed the digibox and all, but there's a very efficient online company in Dublin (was recommeneded to me on a satelitte forum) at www.satellite.ie Contact the fella there as I think he would be able to sort you out and just get you the ROI viewing card (you would need a new contract pretending you're in Ireland). Send me a message if you want further info.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 89):
but the EU Transport will hold a meeting with the Commission next Tuesday, to discuss the position re Open Skies and where to go from here.

Saw that on the thread you started re. Open Skies. Interesting thread, especially to see the opinions of others (namely US a.netters) who do not frequent our threads.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Poitin

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 70):
PSO stands for Public Service Obligation. PSO routes are routes (contract the fly the routes) following an EU public tender. These PSO routes are awarded by the Transport Department.

Thank you kindly, sir.

For those of you interested in the EI take over, please note that the stock is trading a E2.90 at the 1230 posting. Up about 16 cents. Something is up. I suggest keeping a eye on RTE and such.

It was fun reading all your nostalgia flights. My second ever plane trip was from Dublin to JFK on the EI 747 St. Patrick sometime in the late 1960's.

EI787

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:50 am

Well, the 20 Millionth passenger has been announced:

Quote:
Tables turned on airport's 20 millionth passenger
08/12/2006 - 16:57:33

A Galway woman today became the 20 millionth passenger to travel through Dublin Airport this year.

Aine Casey got the biggest Christmas welcome home ever in the arrivals hall, despite not telling a soul she was coming.

The 29-year-old had planned to surprise her family with her visit back from the Middle East, but instead it was sprung on her as she was greeted with a round of applause, flowers, champagne and a brass band.

She also scooped €3,000 in travel vouchers and a taxi to her home town of Rosscahill.

“It is absolutely fabulous,” said Aine, who flew on an Aer Lingus flight from Dubai.

“I was tired getting off the plane, but the champagne has definitely given me a second wind.”

Aine moved to Muscat, Oman, two months ago with her boyfriend, Dubliner Aaron Henderson a marine doctor who studies sharks.

She made the trip home on the seventh anniversary of the death of her late mother Peg, and planned to surprise her dad Jim, three sisters and four brother who will all be in Galway for Christmas.

“I hadn’t told anyone I was coming home, so I hope someone is in when I get there,” continued Aine, a computer technician, who is still looking for work in Mascat.

“I wasn’t expected home at all for Christmas so my dad will be thrilled. I still haven’t come back down to earth myself.”

“The prize is fantastic and I’ll enjoy having a nice relaxing holiday in the sun with it.”

Aine was feeling so lucky today she even did the lottery on the way home.

Since it opened in 1940, Dublin Airport has grown substantially.

In 1946 is welcomed 162,000 passengers, in 1956 that grew to 460,000 people, by 1966 it boasted 1.5m visitors, which almost doubled by 1986. However, over the last 10 years the figure has increased from 9m people in 1996 to an estimated 21.4m expected this year.

“This is a historic milestone for us at Dublin Airport,” said Vincent Wall, of Dublin Airport Authority.

“To put this in context it means that the equivalent of more than five times the entire population of Ireland travelled through Dublin Airport this year alone.

“We have broken a number of records at the airport this year; in welcoming over 50 new routes and services, three million additional passengers, and 122 airlines servicing over 160 destinations.”

Aine travels back to Muscat, via Dubai, on January 12 where she will be reunited with Aaron.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWIDIDOJIDQL

Great news for Aine . . . and Dublin Airport!!

shamrock350

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:58 am

I remember waiting for my normal Aer Lingus LHR-DUB flight and looking out at the runway, I saw the usual 737s of BD, EI, BA and then a huge green aircraft went passed the window and taxied towards our Gate (not the usual 80-90)
It was an Aer Lingus A330-300.

Not sure of the reg I was too young but I was jumping around just because I had seen a "big Aer Lingus" at LHR. Then our flight was called and we boarded I thought it was an A321 or as I called it "the longer aeroplane" then the FA apologised and said that my family wouldn't be sitting together because of the type of aircraft. I sat by the window and looked out at the shamrock I knew then it was the "big" Aer Lingus.
I loved that short flight to Dublin even though it was the same as any other flight service wise, it was still an A330 as I later found out when I got older.
It was my first Airbus flight out of LHR I hadn't even been on an A321

EI787

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:08 am

Does anyone know why this EI A321 was in Stuttgart last September? EI don't fly there. Was it a diversion or something?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joel Vogt

smokeyrosco

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 93):
Great news for Aine . . . and Dublin Airport!!

So are we looking at close to 22 million passengers in 2006 do you think?
John Hancock

pelican22

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 95):

The Ireland football team played Germany in the European Nations Cup in Stuttgart in September,the EI A321 was more than likely the aircraft carrying the team.

EI787

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting Pelican22 (Reply 97):
The Ireland football team played Germany in the European Nations Cup in Stuttgart in September,the EI A321 was more than likely the aircraft carrying the team.

Ah, ok! Thanks!

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:20 pm

Hot on the heels of its sale of a small stake in Hamburg Airport, the DAA has announced that its stake in Birmingham Airport will be sold for about €300m.

This should allow the airport to finance the expansion of the main terminal at DUB, but also other projects which need to be undertaken urgently:

- Widebody parking stands; where are large cargo aircraft - and indeed pax acft on "long stay" parking - going to go, once Pier E is built?

- The current plan for cargo calls for it to grow at a pretty measly 4% by 2015, which doesn't seem to involve any active marketing, to about 204,000 tonnes. The DAA has a 50ha site on the other side of the runway and although this site is owned, the objective is not to open a new facility until then. (What is to happen with this land in the meantime; will it just lie fallow?)

- My old favourite, the runway extension. Is it really that unreasonable to expect that, like virtually every airport in the world, they plan growth in advance, rather than having it jump on top of them. Either the DAA will add a 1500' extension to the current runway, or it should be informed of its decision to do so, but if the latter option needs to be used, the govt should consider seriously whether the DAA is the right company to have control over the future development of the airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos