Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

New Liveries Anyone?

Wed Jul 12, 2000 6:21 am

Alaskas current livery: 10 years old.
Northwest: 11
Continental: 9
American: c.30
Southwest: 29

All the others I can think of are still relatively young and less than 6 years old...

Do you think that any of the aforementioned airlines are about due for yet another livery change?

ILUV767

RE: New Liveries Anyone?

Wed Jul 12, 2000 6:29 am

American needs a new livery. There paint job is boring! Southwest's paintjob is the so ugly. Southwest Airliners...GET RID OF THE ORANGE!... The other airlines are ok with their paint job.

drerx7

Wed Jul 12, 2000 6:36 am

I think Continental can stay with theirs for a while, so can Northwest.
American: I think it should modernize the look - I like the cheatlines and bare-metal.
Southwest: I don't have a problem with Southwest's old 70s scheme, but a change wouldn't hurt. To be honest, I can't imagine Southwest in any other colors.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Gnomon

CO, NW, And AA Solutions

Wed Jul 12, 2000 7:07 am

Continental's new livery may well be introduced in a couple of years. It will consist of a drab, white airplane, with an "Aeroflot" tail and the word "Delta" emblazened on the forward fuse. As for NW, look for them to drop the red, gray, blue, and white, and take a bare metal scheme with a cheatline, above which "American" is written.

Do you think, though, that AA would be likely to change its livery if the merger with NW is approved?

Also, I think Drerx7's comment, "I can't imagine Southwest in any other colors," hits the nail on the head as to why WN hasn't yet changed its livery. I think it's a universally known c/s that necessarily cannot change now.

Panther

RE: CO, NW, And AA Solutions

Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:33 pm

I agree with Drerx7. American is just reluctant to change that fu#king boring scheme. Don't forget Midwest Express' scheme is about 20 years old too, do you think they should change theirs?

Iflymidwexprss

RE: Panther

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:03 pm

Actually, Midwest Express just updated their look a few years ago, adding a new color to their old red, white and blue scheme and changing the titles on the fuselage and the logo on the tail. I think it's a pretty cool look, what does everyone think?
You guys are so right about AA. If they eat NW, I think the new AA should adopt NW's look--they could put a funky white "AA" on the red tail--it'd be sweet to see on those 777's! Ah, well, I'll keep dreaming...
Cheers,  
Ryan

velocityair

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:43 pm

aa livery sucks
co livery sucks
ua livery sucks

how can these "great" airlines not have anything that makes you look twice, or makes you remember something good about the colors? aa is boring and old. i think they should change their entire fleet back to that retro-757 colors that they had last year for that one plane. sw and co are lame, and the reason you cannot imagine sw with anyother color ... is because they have never had any other color, ever. besides orange is the color that people associate with the desert and the southwest. the color of clay. ua should change their entire livery to be like US Airways. their colors are bright , different and bold... they draw your eye and make you look at the plane. nw is bold as well... although i could go for a Y2K modern slight change to it. better font, and sharper logo. aside from that ... why are there no plane with yellow? Royal Brunei is one of the few.
peace

Ryefly

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:56 pm

Midway is mainly yellow with blue highlights. I agree with the idea that UA should change to US color scheme. It is so much better. I would like to see Southwest change their look 20 years ago. I know they jsut ordered a large fleet of planes. Maybe they will. I am keeping my fingers crossed but I know they won't. The airline is too sucessful to do a major change. If its not broke, don't fix it. American on the other hand needs a new look pretty bad. I don't even give their planes a second glance anymore. UPS needs a new look also. That brown is just terrible. Maybe if the whole plane was brown like their trucks it would be better, but I just don't like brown.

johno

Fri Jul 14, 2000 6:38 pm

On European livery change: Some airline seem to have stayed with the same livery for AGES. Anyone know how long these airlines have stayed with their colour schemes? I beleive some are measured in decades...
Lufthansa
Alitalia
KLM
Swissair

Gnomon

Johnno

Sat Jul 15, 2000 1:40 pm

In all candor, 2 of the airlines you mentioned have actually undergone livery changes within the last 10-11 years. LH in circa 1989 and Swissair in 1996 or so.
I'd expect Alitalia and KLM to change their images, though...and is there any chance that Swissair might also do the same under a new CEO or when management decides to standardize a SR/SN livery?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos