Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OttoPylit
Topic Author

HA763 At CVG 10Dec06--Why?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:54 am

Anyone got a clue why there was a Hawaiian 763 at CVG that morning? I want to say the reg was something like 952HA, but could be wrong. I was passing through and got dropped off by the bus just as the airplane was starting to push back from Gate A1. I don't think there was any charters needed at that time. Would be interesting if HA did decide to serve CVG, but looks very odd in Hawaiian colors among 40 degree weather.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

AirCop

RE: HA763 At CVG 10Dec06--Why?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:58 am

Think Football - more specifically the Oakland Raiders (okay maybe not real NFL football).

Werkur767

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:14 am

I like the livery on Hawaiian very, i'm plastimodel maker, and i Built a model, 1/144, a 767-300ER of Hawaiian, i have the decals for it, unfortunatelly, i'll never to see here in Brazil, and charter flights to GRU is dificult. ATA sometimes make charter flights to Brazil, from MIA or MCO.

Werner from GRU.
Werkurspotter

Coronado990

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:49 am

I thinks it's cool that Oakland uses HA for their road games. At least that way their beautiful livery can be seen at a few different airports around the nation. Just wish the Chargers would use them and spread the cheer even more. How many planes does HA have available for this mission?
SFO=NoCal LAX=SoCal SAN=LoCal

ha763

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Thread starter):
I want to say the reg was something like 952HA, but could be wrong.

It would have been N592HA.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
Think Football - more specifically the Oakland Raiders (okay maybe not real NFL football).

Yep. Cincinnati-27, Oakland-10.

Oakland has one last road game against the Jets on Dec 31. So 592 will be at a New York airport at that time.

B4REAL

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:07 pm

Yep, it was the Raiders football charter. I was hoping someone got a picture, but not. The charter operated as follows:

Arrived as HAL926 from OAK on Friday afternoon and then went to SJC for a revenue flight Saturday morning. Sunday, HAL927 took the Raiders back to OAK. I was excited and was tracking it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/317561450/
And
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/317561452/
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

B4REAL

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:40 pm

I think it very interesting that the Raiders choose HA. HA is very proud of it by mentionings on their website, can anyone tell us how the in flight service goes for charters like this (professional athletes)?

-Different/better/bigger meals?
-Alcoholic Drinks?
-Lax rules about seat belt?
-If the flight is a win, party on; if it is a loss - silent ride?

Really curious how the atmosphere is on this type of flight. And a 763 would not be full, maybe 50% for a football team.

HnlBoi

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:27 pm

When the Raiders have these charter flights, how does it effect the rest of the HA operations, as HA is very short on aircrafts? Do they cancel or reschedule flights? How do they schedule the crew for these flights?

HALFA

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting B4real (Reply 6):
can anyone tell us how the in flight service goes for charters like this (professional athletes)?

I have worked several of our Raiders charter flights over the years, and the service they receive onboard is usually the same on each trip.
Al Davis, his wife, the head coach, and the OFF/DEF coordinators along with some position coaches occupy the 18 first class seats up front. The trainers and assistants as well as media people and invited guests then sit in the first section of the coach cabin and the players all sit in the aft section of the coach cabin.
We start our meal service from the back of the plane and serve the players first. They each get a huge first class meal with usually a choice of 3 main dishes, a big salad, a big dessert and hot rolls. This is followed by our beverage carts that have everything EXCEPT alcohol. One hour before landing, we serve freshly baked cookies with milk. (Warren Sapp's favorite part of the flight  Smile )
Quite often though, the players don't eat the meals out of OAK as they all bring their own food. Popeye's Chicken seems to be their favorite.
On boarding the plane both in OAK and in the other cities, we set up beverage and snack stations for everyone to grab a quick bite and drink. We have cheese and crackers, fruit, Dove ice cream bars, huge candy bars, bottles of water, gatorade, juice, and soda. On return flights to OAK, we offer Hot sandwiches/Hamburgers/chicken sandwiches and sometimes pizza before takeoff. They are all very hungry after the game.
During flight, they pass the time watching their own DVD players or watching the movies we play over the big screens. Many of them play cards or do things on their laptops. Many sleep, or listen to their MP3 players.
I mentioned that we do not serve alcohol in either direction, but on flights after the game heading back to OAK, many of the players bring their own booze, and have a good time. As a football fan myself, I enjoy listening to their game stories.

The mood on board is decidedly more upbeat when they win, but a loss does not stop them from having a good time. When they beat an AFC West team, they are in a VERY good mood, but that hasn't happened lately.

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

tys777

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 8):

Thanks for that great insight to what goes on during a NFL charter flight.

B4REAL

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 8):

Yes, a big Mahalo and thank you HALFA for the great insight. Did you by chance work this trip to Cincinnati?

Cheers.

mlsrar

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:26 pm

Forgive me, but I presume the revenue is very justifiable to operate these charters when there is a shortage of a/c at HA's disposal right now?

Aren't there scheduling snafus due to the delays from the ex-DL 763s?
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

OttoPylit
Topic Author

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 4):
It would have been N592HA.

Yea, that was it. Did I ever dyslexic mention I was?  Wink

HA is very proud of it by mentionings on their website, can anyone tell us how the in flight service goes for charters like this (professional athletes)?

-Alcoholic Drinks?

I used to work charters when I was a gate agent and have worked everything from Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, Cincy Bengals, Tennessee Titans, and SF 49ers. A charter flight, given the money paid, is unbelievable. First of all, you have a 757/767 that is only about half full, so everyone has room to spread out. Coaches and staff usually in first, players in back. First class meals throughout, food all over the place. We're talking fresh fruit, help yourself snack trays, everything. The FA's usually wear teamwear as the uniforms, such as jerseys, team polo shirts, etc. It certainly would be a nice flight to be on.

While awaiting a return for a team once, I hung out with the flight crew onboard and asked the flight attendants about the service. In every seat was a little blue bag with a cold sandwich, chips and fruit. That was a starter. Once airborne, they would serve the meals-steak with all the trimmings. And then they would have ice cream for desert, and pass around snack trays, one consisting of fresh fruit, the other of candy bars and such. And if anyone was STILL hungry after that, they had even more sandwich selections available. And that was all for a 1.5 hr flight to CVG. Now, I'm sure you work up an appetite at the game, but geez!!!

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

B4REAL

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 12):
OttoPylit

Thanks for your account, that would be great for the airline employees. A different atmosphere, and a chance to really give better service.

Now, if we could only accidentally get the catering for a professional sports charter swapped with a normal domestic run.....

warowl40

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:08 am

HA is very proud of it by mentionings on their website, can anyone tell us how the in flight service goes for charters like this (professional athletes)?

-Alcoholic Drinks?

I played football in college, and we used CO for all of our charter flights. At the time (9 years ago) we flew on one of CO's 727s. The service was always great. No security lines, great food and the overall mood depended on the outcome of the game. This was all before 9/11, but we were often allowed to sit in the jumpseat (once we reached cruise alt) for as long as we wanted. I specifically remember riding up front after getting beat by Ohio State 70-7. That was a VEEEERRRRYYYY long flight!

Coaches always rode in first. Trainers, alumni and other team support (including cheerleaders) rode in the front of the coach section. Players had the back of the plane with the big guys (offensive and defensive Lineman) getting a seat between them. Us little guys (DB's, QB's, RB's, WR's) all had to ride on the other side of the plane. Underclassman always got a middle seat.

HALFA

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 10):
Yes, a big Mahalo and thank you HALFA for the great insight. Did you by chance work this trip to Cincinnati?

No, I didin't work this one. I've been flying our SYD flights this month.

Quoting Mlsrar (Reply 11):
Aren't there scheduling snafus due to the delays from the ex-DL 763s?

Yes, we are still awaiting delivery of #596. We were suppossed to have it weeks ago.

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 12):
The FA's usually wear teamwear as the uniforms, such as jerseys, team polo shirts, etc. It certainly would be a nice flight to be on.

Each flight attendant that works the Raiders Charter gets a special made Raiders/Hawaiian Airlines hat that we wear during flight. I usually take a silver sharpie with me and get some of the guys to sign it as it looks real nice with the silver ink on the black hat. I have one hat from a few years ago signed by Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Charles Woodson, John Gruden, Rod Woodson, and Jim Plunkett. I'm keeping that one!
Last year, I worked the Christmas Eve charter to the Denver Broncos game and we were given santa style Raiders hats. That game was played on my birthday so one of the guys incharge of ticket sales gave me 2 tickets to the game. It was great! Actually, we are usually able to get tickets for each game, but we generally have to leave at the start of the 4th quarter as we must be on the aircraft before the team arrives.

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

jbmitt

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting Warowl40 (Reply 14):
I specifically remember riding up front after getting beat by Ohio State 70-7. That was a VEEEERRRRYYYY long flight!

slightly OT: but did you go to Rice? I seem to recall OSU blowing them out a few years back.

B4REAL

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting Jbmitt (Reply 16):
slightly OT: but did you go to Rice? I seem to recall OSU blowing them out a few years back

Yeah, I was thinking either Rice or Houston. I was at both games  Smile

warowl40

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:39 pm

Fighting Rice Owl. We had many of those long flights!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos