YHMYYZspotter
Topic Author

Flyglobespan Out Of YHM Question

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:47 am

Hello all,

I have a couple of quick questions about the airline flyglobespan.
I am heading to Europe in June of 2007 and right now flights from YHM to London on www.flyglobespan.com are very cheap. I haven't really heard too much about this airline and I also understand the YHM flights are starting up in May of 2007.

Is it safe to book a flight with them so early before they are up and going on this route and out of YHM? I am from Hamilton and it would be very convenient and also the price is very good, I am worried if I hold out longer the price will go up. Has anyone had any experience with this airline in Canada?

Thanks for your help in advance.

GLAGAZ

RE: Flyglobespan Out Of YHM Question

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:54 am

Well GSM can be very very annoying. They have a history of chopping and changing routes. They did start well enough but recently things have gone a bit haywire.

YHM flights should be ok as they and YHM seem to be doing a lot to encourage people to use the airport over YYZ. Keep in mind some flights will stop off at an UK/Eire airport before reching your final destination. Where do you intend to fly to?

For now I'd say you are safe to book, YHM could turn out to be a very good move for them.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

GLAGAZ

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:57 am

Sorry just realsied you intend to go to LON. This will definately have a stop at another airport before reaching STN.

Gaz

[Edited 2006-12-12 16:57:57]
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

nighthawk

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 1):
Well GSM can be very very annoying. They have a history of chopping and changing routes. They did start well enough but recently things have gone a bit haywire.

They like to swap equipment too...... you could be on anything from a 767-300, 757-200 or 737-800.

Come the summer they will probably decide to use their 737-600s on transatlantic flights!

YHMYYZspotter
Topic Author

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:24 am

Sounds like I am fairly safe to book based on your responses. How are they compared to Zoom? Zoom is a little pricier but I have heard good things about them too. Do you usually get a stop in between origin and final destination with Zoom as well?

Here is another question and its a little off topic but its related to the original post. I ultimately need to end up in La Rochelle in France. How is the best and cheapest way to get there? I was going to take flyglobespan to Stansted then Ryanair to La Rochelle. Is there an easier and cheaper way? I dont know too much about flying in Europe so any help would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks  Smile

GLAGAZ

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 4):
Sounds like I am fairly safe to book based on your responses. How are they compared to Zoom? Zoom is a little pricier but I have heard good things about them too. Do you usually get a stop in between origin and final destination with Zoom as well?

Fairly similar except Zoom use the 763 compared to the GSM 752 (planned so far). But with GSM you get more flexibility as the flights are daily. I can't imagine seat pitch being much greater than 30" in Y on GSM.

Here is another question and its a little off topic but its related to the original post. I ultimately need to end up in La Rochelle in France. How is the best and cheapest way to get there? I was going to take flyglobespan to Stansted then Ryanair to La Rochelle. Is there an easier and cheaper way? I dont know too much about flying in Europe so any help would be greatly appretiated.

I'd say that is the best option.

Gaz

jetstream1975

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:12 am

The reason that equipment have been changed on routes for a few dates firstly was due to late arrival off next 763. And also there were/are some dates on the GLA - SFB route which had/have to be operated on 738 due to a/c being utilised elswhere.

There are 4 752's arriving next year 3 for GLA/MAN/STN - YHM flights and 1 for LPL - JFK another 2 763's arriving also. All in all there were/are 7 dates affected by equipment change nothing out of the ordinary in aviation.

Salomon

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:13 am

Zoom is a little pricier but I have heard good things about them too. Do you usually get a stop in between origin and final destination with Zoom as well?

They only problem with Zoom is that they only operate 4 767-300. When a plane goes mechanical or is running late, it is very difficult for them to keep up with their tight scheduling. Consequently, they will often change the time of departure at the last moment.

Last summer, I flew YUL-LGW-YUL and was 3 hours late on the first leg and 33 hours late on the second leg. The departure time was changed 4 times on the inbound leg, making it very frustrating.

However, the service on board is good.

Last summer, they even had to wet lease a 757 to keep up if I recall correctly.
Takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory.

GLAGAZ

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Jetstream1975 (Reply 6):
All in all there were/are 7 dates affected by equipment change nothing out of the ordinary in aviation.

Aircraft isn't the main problem with GSM. Its what they do with them. Practically their entire GLA/EDI winter timetable combines the two airports. Even the GVA and CMF flights from EDI are combined!!

STN-TFS had to go via FAO on many occassions during the summer and I think there were even routes during the summer from Scotland which ended up stopping at another destination such as Nice before continuing.

Then we have the saga of dropped routes. AMS, MAD, ORY, STN etc, routes which weren't even given a chance to get going. There just seems to be a lot of choatic goings on at GSM.

But Canada seems ok so far, apart from them reducing GLA/MAN-YHM to 3x weekly or something for the first few weeks.

Gaz

[Edited 2006-12-13 00:13:45]

[Edited 2006-12-13 00:14:36]

ScottishLaddie

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:19 am

The problem with GSM is that they try to do too much too soon with limited resources. I wouldn't have a problem booking with them, but expect changes! I don't even know if they've managed to source 4 B752s for these flights yet, and as has already been said, flying to/from STN you'll have a stop on both outbound and inbound flights.

miamix707

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:24 am

Is GSM stll flying to sanford florida? I've checked flytecomm and it hasn't come in the last few days, and it used to be daily.

GLAGAZ

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 10):
Is GSM stll flying to sanford florida? I've checked flytecomm and it hasn't come in the last few days, and it used to be daily.

The GLA-SFB route is still going. But the frequency seems to change monthly just now  Smile Best bet is to go to www.flyglobespan.com to see what days it operates.

Gaz

swissy

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Thread starter):
Is it safe to book a flight with them so early before they are up and going on this route and out of YHM? I am from Hamilton and it would be very convenient and also the price is very good, I am worried if I hold out longer the price will go up. Has anyone had any experience with this airline in Canada?

Nothing is for sure 100%, except death.... , I do not see any problems as of now not to book the flight you need.

Aircraft break downs happen to every airline.......

YHM airport & GSM made a lot of "positive" wind and I am a believer of GSM will have a great success out of YHM.

Cheers,

fly_yhm

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:31 am

Anyone know how to apply for a job with GSM? Im sure they will need counter staff here. Anybody work for them or have any suggestions?
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

jetstream1975

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:53 pm

GLA - SFB with GSM at the moment is 3 times weekly SAT, WED ( via BFS) and Thur. From mid Jan goes weekly Wed o/b and Thur I/B until 29 Mar then goes Tue Wed Thur until 01 June when is goes back to daily.

GSM763

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting Fly_yhm (Reply 13):
Anyone know how to apply for a job with GSM? Im sure they will need counter staff here. Anybody work for them or have any suggestions?

I would presume that they will subcontract this. You would be best applying to one of the airport agencies.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos