zvezda
Topic Author

SQ SIN-DUB-BOS?

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:42 pm

Now that Singapore and Ireland have signed an Open Skies treaty, SQ have full 5th freedom rights beyond Ireland. It's been rumored for a while that SQ are interested in serving BOS via a european city. If american carriers are still required to serve SNN if they want to serve DUB, then this could be a great opportunity for SQ. This would take some pressure off their EWR, JFK, LHR, and FRA flights.

FoxBravo

RE: SQ SIN-DUB-BOS?

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:54 pm

This would be an interesting 787 route. Until then, my guess is that the 777 would be a bit too much.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

ei 168

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:00 pm

As much as Id love to see it, I think foxbravo is right. Aside from that, Dublin's runway i dont think can take a 777 to sin. A 787 is much more suited to the route.

vsflyer747400

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:04 pm

In the numerous Irish Aviation threads the subject of the lenght of the runways at Dublin has been mentioned. I think as it stands the runway is not long enough for non stop flights ex DUB to far east destinations, so I would imagine that until the runways are made longer (more a question of if and not when) the open skies agreement wont actually be of much use if you cant actually fly DUB/SIN non stop.
Flown (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA ZB AE(AIR EUROPE) KD

jfk777

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:26 pm

Since SIA is a Star alliance airline with no service to IAD or Chicago, both United hubs, why would Boston be in there plans? Chicago is far more viable then Boston to SIA.

zvezda
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:28 pm

Thanks. Given that the runways at DUB are not long enough for a B777 to fly nonstop to SIN and the B787 won't be entering the SQ fleet until 2011, might SQ consider SIN-DXB-DUB-BOS until the B787 is available?

airbazar

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 4):
Since SIA is a Star alliance airline with no service to IAD or Chicago, both United hubs, why would Boston be in there plans? Chicago is far more viable then Boston to SIA.

That would be more likely than BOS however, don't forget that US is also a Star Alliance partner and they have a strong presence at BOS, not to mention the very strong ties between Boston and Ireland.

Regardless of it, one must wonder where the value of this open skies agreemed is if SQ can't fly from DUB to SIN non-stop. Could they perhaps be thinking of an intermediate city? How about SIN-ORD-DUB-ORD-SIN, or maybe a triangular route such as SIN-DUB-DXB-SIN?

zvezda
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 6):
How about SIN-ORD-DUB-ORD-SIN ...?

Using what aircraft? Based on current orders, that would have to wait until the B787-9 joins the fleet.

aviateur

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 5):
might SQ consider SIN-DXB-DUB-BOS until the B787 is available?

No, that's crazy.

I doubt there's a strong enough market to support a 777 (or 747 )going Boston-Ireland-Singapore, though maybe I'm wrong. (The BOS-Ireland market itself has some strong seasonal swings.)

In any case, while it's mostly fantasy for now, having SQ here (BOS) would be great. There hasn't been an Asian carrier at BOS since Korean Air pulled out a few years back. I believe they were the only Asian airline *ever* to fly here.

PS

[Edited 2006-12-14 16:40:37]
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

Flying Belgian

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:48 am

There is something I don't understand with the runway statement.

An EI A332 can fly DUB-LAX non-stop but an SQ 772ER could not fly DUB-SIN ? It's weird actually.

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

sq452

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:54 am

SQ did fly to Chicago thrice weekly via AMS, but pulled the route shortly after starting it due to a number of factors (one being 9.11 I believe). SQ returning to Chicago is something I don't think you will see happen for a while, and if they did, it would be via an Asian gateway IMHO.

Thanks. Given that the runways at DUB are not long enough for a B777 to fly nonstop to SIN

SQ Cargo is running a 747-400 Freighter into DUB for Cargo runs, but dont know what the weight restrictions are for that given runway length.

SQ could also theoretically fly a 777-200ER into SNN as I believe that runway is long enough to take flights from the far-east, I know Air Force One refuels there a lot.

As hard as it is to believe, I think a thrice weekly SIN>SNN/DUB>BOS>SNN/DUB>SIN run would do very well. Aer Lingus has pretty good loads out of BOS anyway, and there is enough of a tourist market of people from Asia going to Ireland now. I'd imagine you wouldn't get a ton of connecting passengers going all the way SIN>BOS and vice-versa, but the real money would be how many you would pick up in Ireland and offload there. That is why I think it would work. An SQ plane in BOS, maybe my dream come true...no, wait, that would be SQ in CVG  Smile
SIN > CVG > BOS

Danny

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 9):
An EI A332 can fly DUB-LAX non-stop but an SQ 772ER could not fly DUB-SIN ? It's weird actually.

Nothing weird:

DUB-SIN 6960 miles
DUB-LAX 5170 miles

A330-200 OEW: 120t MTOW: 233t
B777-200 OEW: 143t MTOW: 263-286t

More distance to fly, more weight to lift, more runaway needed.

bjornstrom

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:57 am

How about SIN-CPH-BOS or SIN-ARN-BOS/ORD?
Eurobonus Gold | Hyr Apple Mac iPhone | Frequent Flyer | Leasing expert

Danny

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 10):
SQ Cargo is running a 747-400 Freighter into DUB for Cargo runs, but dont know what the weight restrictions are for that given runway length.

They fly either via CPH or SHJ.

Flying Belgian

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:04 am

Thanks Danny !!

I didn't know it could be a problem for DUB.

F.B
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

sq452

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 13):

Yah thats what I thought, but I couldnt pull up the map on their website.

Quoting Bjornstrom (Reply 12):
How about SIN-CPH-BOS or SIN-ARN-BOS/ORD?

That could also work too...most likely CPH over ARN, and SAS would probably code-share the route. Given that CPH to SIN on SQ isn't even daily, I don't see why tacking on BOS would be a problem.
SIN > CVG > BOS

Danny

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:16 am

SQ already serves SIN-CPH 3 weekly with 772.

sq452

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 16):
SQ already serves SIN-CPH 3 weekly with 772.

Thats what I am saying (ive taken that flight before)...tack on BOS to that route if anything. Although not sure about Denmark and 5th freedom rights.
SIN > CVG > BOS

PhilSquares

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 13):
Quoting SQ452 (Reply 10):

The SHJ flight comes from LHR, the CPH flights go to DXB and the winter schedule has another flight going to AMS. The LHR-DUB flight continues on to SHJ. The 744F has no problem maxing out payload on the DUB-SHJ segment.

The biggest problem is going into DUB at MLW with a wet runway. The stopping distances start to get close to the runway available....
Fly fast, live slow

sllevin

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:08 am

The biggest issue I see with SQ operating Ireland to the United States is that broadly, that's not been premium market. Right now, for example, there's no 3 class operation in that market -- and when you look at EI's fairly "aged" Premier product, it clearly doesn't take much to keep planes fairly full. I think SQ might struggle to get a reasonable yield on the route.

Steve

kaitak

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:48 am

Not a problem; quite a few of SQ's 772s operate with a 2 class layout; flights to Amsterdam, Manchester, Athens and Rome are two class. First Class is a problem in many European markets and frankly, when you see SQ's J Class - particularly on the new 773ER - you wonder how F Class could possibly be better, or worth any extra cost!

I think the most immediate issue is that SQ will not want to fly via SNN to the US, as it will be required to do, until full O/S is in place. As to what routes it might serve - Washington, for example, or perhaps back to Chicago?

Another possibility, which I have long wondered about (i.e. long before the O/S announcement) and even wrote to SQ about, is the possibility of doing a codeshare with AC on DUB-YYZ. They're both in STAR Alliance and SIA has long wanted to fly to Canada and of course, has signalled its intention to enter into more O/S agreements. We should make Canada our next priority, because that is potentially a much bigger market than our current traffic level suggests.

zvezda
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 20):
I think the most immediate issue is that SQ will not want to fly via SNN to the US, as it will be required to do, until full O/S is in place.

Is it not true that Singapore has an Open Skies treaty with both the US and Ireland? How would the US-Ireland bilateral affect SQ?

kaitak

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:41 am

No, unfortunately, Zvezda, our current O/S agreement is very far from being Open Skies; it requires one flight from SNN for every one from DUB (don't even get me started ...)

Anyway, we are hoping that by next Summer, we will have a transitional arrangement in place, which will allow this ratio to be changed to 3:1, i.e three flights from DUB for every one from SNN, so airlines will be able to increase DUB access significantly, but will still have to fly to SNN. However, the ultimate aim is that there will be no "tie" between DUB and SNN and at that stage, SQ will be able to fly in. We expect - and hope, subject to EU/US Open Skies - that this will happen in 2008, but it could be 2009 or even 2010, depending on how reasonable the EU Commission is willing to be. However, reason and the EU Commission have not been happy bedfellows recently ...

What I would like to see is SQ starting to DUB, via somewhere else - say for argument's sake, Moscow, to get the route started. Then, when DUB has extended its runway and full Open Skies is in place, SQ can fly through DUB to as many US cities as it wants; indeed, I'm also hoping that we will do an O/S deal with Canada, so SQ might finally be able to add YYZ, via Dublin.

CHI787ORD

Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:23 am

I see ORD and IAD happening way before a flight to BOS.

planemanofnz

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:03 pm

What I can see happening is either :

SIN-AMS-DUB
SIN-MAN-DUB
SIN-Abu Dhabi-DUB
SIN-BOM-DUB
SIN-Moscow-DUB (If Moscow eventually becomes non stop)

All flights using 772ER of course.

It would be so wonderful if SQ went to Ireland and I am sure they would get huge amounts of premium pax willing to try out a 5 star airline, something Ireland has never had before.

IL76

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:31 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 24):
SIN-AMS-DUB
SIN-MAN-DUB

No need... Just fly SIN-FRA or SIN-LHR/MAN and codeshare to DUB or CRK or whatever on Star Alliance partner LH or BMI. Why let their 777 do a short hop when you can fly it more efficiently on long haul?

e

[Edited 2006-12-15 08:32:38]

zvezda
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 22):
No, unfortunately, Zvezda, our current O/S agreement is very far from being Open Skies; it requires one flight from SNN for every one from DUB (don't even get me started ...)

What is the antecedant of "our"? Are you talking of the Sinapore/Ireland agreement or the Ireland/USA agreement? I'm sure the Singapore/USA agreement doesn't imposed any DUB/SNN restrictions.

Quoting IL76 (Reply 25):
No need... Just fly SIN-FRA or SIN-LHR/MAN and codeshare to DUB or CRK or whatever on Star Alliance partner LH or BMI.

Good point. That's the perfect way to get into the market. If the demand is solid, SQ can consider flying their own metal there later.

Ex_SQer

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:52 pm

Just because Singapore has open skies with both Ireland doesn't mean that SQ has to fly the route, and just because Singapore also has open skies with the US doesn't mean that SQ will fly SIN-Ireland-USA.

Singapore has had open skies with the US, NZ, Brunei and Chile for years. Have we seen SIN-AKL-SCL or SIN-AKL-LAX? SIN-BWN-AKL?

I doubt that passenger traffic to/from DUB will be terribly high yielding, even without the SNN stop.

zvezda
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:59 pm

The reason why I thought of this is that it seemed like an opportunity to serve DUB-BOS without the burden of SNN. If the SNN restrictions don't apply to SQ, then SQ would have a competitive advantage over those forced to fly to SNN.

Viscount724

Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting Ex_SQer (Reply 27):
Just because Singapore has open skies with both Ireland doesn't mean that SQ has to fly the route, and just because Singapore also has open skies with the US doesn't mean that SQ will fly SIN-Ireland-USA.

Singapore has had open skies with the US, NZ, Brunei and Chile for years. Have we seen SIN-AKL-SCL or SIN-AKL-LAX? SIN-BWN-AKL?

I doubt that passenger traffic to/from DUB will be terribly high yielding, even without the SNN stop.

Agreed. USA-Ireland is a low yield market, mostly tourists and VFR (visit friends and relatives), with a low percentage of business traffic. It's also highly seasonal. It is almost the total opposite of a route that would be appropriate for SQ's type of premium product.

sq452

Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 19):
The biggest issue I see with SQ operating Ireland to the United States is that broadly, that's not been premium market. Right now, for example, there's no 3 class operation in that market

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 20):
Not a problem; quite a few of SQ's 772s operate with a 2 class layout;

All of SQ's transpac/europe routes are operated with a 2 class layout with the spacebed (Raffles Class) and economy class products...the only 772s that operate with 3 classes stay in Southeast Asia/Pacific.
SIN > CVG > BOS

zvezda
Topic Author

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:01 pm

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 30):
All of SQ's transpac/europe routes are operated with a 2 class layout with the spacebed (Raffles Class) and economy class products...the only 772s that operate with 3 classes stay in Southeast Asia/Pacific.

So, what you're saying is: The 9V-SQ* aircraft stay in the Asia/Pacific region and the 9V-SV* aircraft fly transpac/europe routes. What about the 9V-SR* subfleet (2 class, no SpaceBeds)?

kaitak

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:02 pm

They are usually flown on short haul regional flights - KUL, SUB, DPS, Japan. However, these are also -ER aircraft, but presumably flown with a reduced MTOW.

What I would expect to happen is that these aircraft would be converted to long haul two class configuration when the A330-300s are delivered, so that they can be used for long haul flights ... like Dublin.

As for the SIA and Ireland issue generally, the potential certainly exists for this to happen, although whether it will involve onward flights to the US depends on SIA. I can't imagine Aer Lingus too pleased about the prospect of competition on some of its main routes.

My hope is that SQ would be tempted into flying to DUB by a very good deal from the DAA (Dublin Airport Authority), particularly because initial flights would need to be via somewhere else. Included in the package for SIA would be a commitment to extend the current runway to a minimum of 10,000'.

Eirules

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 32):
My hope is that SQ would be tempted into flying to DUB by a very good deal from the DAA (Dublin Airport Authority), particularly because initial flights would need to be via somewhere else

I wonder would SQ use this in place of a current Star Alliance route ex DUB, for example FRA (currently operated 3x daily by LH), or CPH (currently operated 2x daily by SK) or would they use a totally new route that currently doesn't exist out of DUB such as SVO or CAI, or somewhere else SQ doesn't currently fly to such as LIS
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

PADSpot

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:31 pm

Quoting Ei 168 (Reply 2):
Aside from that, Dublin's runway i dont think can take a 777 to sin.

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 9):

Quoting Danny (Reply 11):
More distance to fly, more weight to lift, more runaway needed.

Runway length shouldn't be the problem. The B777 is the by far best airplane when it comes to getting off the ground. Considering DUB's relative mild climate and a more aggressive flap setting on the B777 DUB's 2635m should be ok. DUB is not DEN in August and a B777 not an A343...

SNN-SIN makes no sense at all. If the US carrier which are forced to fly into SNN are complaining about too low demand, how much O&D load could one expect on an (additional) SNN-BOS oder SNN-SIN flight? Close to zero ... SNN would be hardly more than a tech stop on SIN-SNN-BOS.

sq452

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 31):
So, what you're saying is: The 9V-SQ* aircraft stay in the Asia/Pacific region and the 9V-SV* aircraft fly transpac/europe routes. What about the 9V-SR* subfleet (2 class, no SpaceBeds)?

Precisely, the 9V-SV* aircraft are always the registrations you see in europe/north america these days for SQ's 777-200ERs. As most of the flights to SIN on SQ from Europe also arrive in the morning, and the flights from SIN to Europe depart in the late evening, occassionaly you see these birds doing some routes in Asia-Pacific as well (though far and few between).

9V-SQ*/9V-SR* operate entirely throughout the region (India, Asia-Pac, Middle East, etc.). I have taken the two class no spacebeds before...SIN>DPS back in 2004. The Raffles Class product on those is somewhat of a hyrbrid of the older Ultimo seats and the Raffles Class seats you see on the 777-300 (the non ER 777-300).
SIN > CVG > BOS

Ryanair!!!

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:11 pm

Quoting SQ452 (Reply 35):
9V-SQ*/9V-SR* operate entirely throughout the region (India, Asia-Pac, Middle East, etc.). I have taken the two class no spacebeds before...SIN>DPS back in 2004. The Raffles Class product on those is somewhat of a hyrbrid of the older Ultimo seats and the Raffles Class seats you see on the 777-300 (the non ER 777-300).

Just to add on..

The 9V-SQ* are the 772 that are configured 3 class. Used on a lot of routes to China, Japan, certain Indian sectors (DEL), Bangkok, Jakarta and Surabaya where the demand for First Class is still there.

The 9V-SR* are the 772s that are configured 2 class that are used for touristy routes to low-yielding Australian destinations (PER, ADE, BNE etc), Bali, Malaysia (KUL and PEN) and certain Indian sectors (CCU, DAC, ATQ).
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

SingaporeBoy

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:09 pm

how about a europen stop instead of DXB.....maybe SIN-VIE-DUB-ORD/BOS?After all....would there be alot of people flying between SIN and DUB??

Ryanair!!!

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting SingaporeBoy (Reply 37):
maybe SIN-VIE-DUB-ORD/BOS?

Err... Darling, there is a reason why Vienna was axed along with a whole list of European destinations pre/post 9-11/SARS. No longer does the airline fly to far flung exotic places for the sake of prestige. Rationalisation has required the company to actually make money from that station and in this case, Vienna could not perform.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

kaitak

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:15 pm

In any case, I don't think they would possibly want to consider two stops, especially when they are flying to New York and LAX nonstop!

Pieinthesky

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Has someone found some spare aircraft hidden in the back of a hangar in Changi for these new routes ?.

zvezda
Topic Author

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:41 pm

Quoting Pieinthesky (Reply 40):
Has someone found some spare aircraft hidden in the back of a hangar in Changi for these new routes ?.

No, SQ are short of aircraft now due to the WhaleJet delays. The older Jumbos are being retired as fast as the B777-300ERs are joining the fleet. Total seat count is decreasing and will continue to decrease in 2007. My guess is that SQ will exercise the 13 B777-300ER options within the next six months.

airbazar

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 38):
Err... Darling, there is a reason why Vienna was axed along with a whole list of European destinations pre/post 9-11/SARS. No longer does the airline fly to far flung exotic places for the sake of prestige. Rationalisation has required the company to actually make money from that station and in this case, Vienna could not perform.

If I remember correctly VIE was an intermidiate stop on the way to YYZ.
When the Canadian government kicked SQ out of YYZ, it made a lot more sense for SQ to code share with their Star Alliance partner, OS, on the VIE-SIN route. But now OS has dropped SIN so one never knows, it's certainly possible that SQ may return to VIE.

Ex_SQer

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 42):
If I remember correctly VIE was an intermidiate stop on the way to YYZ.
When the Canadian government kicked SQ out of YYZ, it made a lot more sense for SQ to code share with their Star Alliance partner, OS, on the VIE-SIN route.

Not quite. The YYZ route ended in 1992. SQ continued flying to VIE until 1998, first via ATH with the 744, then nonstop turnaround with the 343 (with OS codesharing), then as a tag on to the ZRH service with a 744.

Yields out of VIE were pretty horrendous. I doubt we'll see SQ back there fo rthe forseeable future.

zvezda
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Quoting Ex_SQer (Reply 43):
Not quite. The YYZ route ended in 1992. SQ continued flying to VIE until 1998, first via ATH with the 744, then nonstop turnaround with the 343 (with OS codesharing), then as a tag on to the ZRH service with a 744.

Yields out of VIE were pretty horrendous. I doubt we'll see SQ back there fo rthe forseeable future.

All that was before SQ joined Star Alliance, right?

aukahkay

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 am

SQ used to operate passenger services to Chicago ORD in 2001 via AMS on the B77-200ER. It has since scrapped the service following the 9/11 attacks. Many Singaporeans work and study in Boston in the many academic institutions there so a service to Boston could be viable.

airbazar

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting Aukahkay (Reply 45):

SQ used to operate passenger services to Chicago ORD in 2001 via AMS on the B77-200ER. It has since scrapped the service following the 9/11 attacks. Many Singaporeans work and study in Boston in the many academic institutions there so a service to Boston could be viable.

There's a lot more here that may interest SQ. There's a large Technology, Financial and BioTech presence in Boston. Ironically, the fact that there isn't a very big *A presence here could be an incentive. ORD is fairly well served by *A international flights, which is why SQ couldn't make it work before. BOS only has LH to FRA and MUC (seasonal). And Swiss to Zurich. Not counting AC   In addition, BOS traffic has very high yields and Bostonians fly 2.5 times more than the national average. All of that could make BOS a very attractive destination if everything else falls into place. If all of the above were not enou, US has a pretty decent presence here too, but I suspect most of SQ passengers would be O&D.

[Edited 2006-12-20 17:14:54]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos