captainsimon
Topic Author

I Want To Be A 737 Pilot! How?

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:45 am

Hi

I would really like a career an aviation, I'm 23. I would like to aim for a commercial licence with 737-NG rating.

Can anyone tell me what licences and hours I will have to do to reach this goal?

I'm UK based and will be doing UK licences.

I know I first have to do a PPL but after that I don't know , I have looked up on line but it gets a bit confusing with the European and American licences as they seem to differ a bit.

Any advice or guidance you guys could give would be much appreciated

Thank You in advance.

A300605R

RE: I Want To Be A 737 Pilot! How?

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 am

Hi, if you are doing PPL in Uk, you can try this course to proceed to ATPL. It's in english and offered by Intercockpit (www.intercockpit.de).

Modular Course for theoretical knowledge course ATPL(A) based on PPL (A)
JAR-FCL / ICAO Annex 1 (Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.285)

Requirements
PPL(A) (JAR-FCL / ICAO Annex 1) +150 hours Total Flight Time on PPL(A)

Training:
650 hours of theoretical instruction (theoretical Classroom and Distance Learning) will be completed

Costs
€ 8.900,-

As far as I can see type rating is not included.

Intercockpit also offers ab initio courses. If you are flexible and willing to live outside UK, you also could consider participating one of these courses (also from www.intercockpit.de).

First Officer Programme B737 300 / -800

The integrated ab initio training course for airline pilots takes 16-17 months including a one month Multi Crew Co-Operation Course.
This course is split into several training stages. Switching between theory and practice helps to implement and stabilize theoretically acquired knowledge in the follow-up practical flight stages. Also the theory itself consists of alternating classroom lessons and unsupervised e-learning with the most modern dedicated learning methods and materials.
Excursions and round tables provide for the necessary variety and motivation during the theory stages. After the first 6 weeks in Frankfurt students will get the theoretical knowledge comparable with the qualification for the private pilot’s license PPL(A). The end of the second theory stage will see the three-day theoretical exam qualifying for the ATPL(A) at the German Federal Department of Aviation.

IIRC, AB is recruiting some of their FOs from intercockpit. You also could apply at HF, Britannia, FR... lots of growing airlines in Europe...

Good luck!!

Edit: AB is partner of Intercockpit, not HF

[Edited 2006-12-14 23:19:45]
300 319 320 321 332 733 734 735 738 753 763 F27 M83

N160LH

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:52 pm

Come over to the U.S. (Its cheaper to learn to fly over here), find a flight school thats works well with you... Then get your Commercial multi Licence... and then move to India, and apply to Air India... That is the fastest way to fly (or at least get paid to be in the cockpit) a 737NG...

Sadly, I am not joking... I have about 15 students at the flight I attend doing the exact thing... Kinda scare isn't it..? A pilot with less than 500 hours flying a 737NG...

The best advice I can give you is simply... Start flying... Today... Tomorrow... Yesterday... Get the point... Flight hours equal experience... experience equals job...

"I do alright up in the air, its down on the ground that I tend to mess up..."

detroitflyer

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:17 pm

Quoting N160LH (Reply 2):
Come over to the U.S. (Its cheaper to learn to fly over here)

there is big problem with that these days however. If u are are foreigner who wants flight time in the U.S.(with instructor), you would have to apply for permission @ www.flightschoolcandidates.gov
this sometimes takes weeks or months to process (i hear) and evertime u switch schools or planes(type), you need a new form to fill in...

but dont let this discourage you beacuse i dont know all the laws, and this may not all be exactly true, (but its what i hear a lot)
Boiler Up!!!

Rj111

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:47 pm

You'll need a PPL a CPL and ATPL and a Type Rating as well as some accessories like Instrument ratings.

That'll cost about £50k give or take.

Also have a look at these sites....

www.ctcaviation.com
http://www.oxfordaviation.net/

To be honest i wouldn't be fussy about which aircraft you fly at the minute.

[Edited 2006-12-15 11:47:40]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos