Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tayaramecanici
Topic Author

BA Take Over Speculations

Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:29 am

There are reports in the English press of a possible take over of BA. One of the probable bidders being Emirates. I hope this hasn't been discussed already, the news is a day old...., almost 2 days now.

BA swept up on wave of air takeover fever
Manfreda Cavazza, Daily Mail
investors should fasten their seatbelts. The national carrier is tipped to be the next bid target as a wave of takeover activity engulfs the struggling airline sector.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investi...?in_article_id=415627&in_page_id=3
''You are as good as your nearest competitor'' Bob Crandall.

Sketty222

RE: BA Take Over Speculations

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:36 am

Our share price has been rising like wildfire overthe last week or two. Word in the news is that BA is to receive a take over bid in the next week or so. I havnt heard who its going to be yet though

Hope we dont get bought out as we need to stay as the flagship carrier of the UK and UK owned

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

gh123

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:42 am

I bet those idiots on CNN will be moaning about such a large airline 'being taken over by a Dubai firm'. When willl they get with the program?!

I trust Emirates to do good with BA's name.

PM

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 1):
we need to stay as the flagship carrier of the UK and UK owned

Why?

Sketty222

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:53 am

we need to stay as the flagship carrier of the UK and UK owned

Quoting PM (Reply 3):
Why?

Why? Why?

We are BA! one of the best airlines in the world, with our own brand and our own customers! If our customers wanted to fly with another carrier they would but they dont. They choose to travel with BA because we offer an excellent service, an excellent authentic British service.
The UK needs an airline of stature, an airline with grace and credability. If someone buys out the country's airline who is to be the major flag carrier?

Lee

PM

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 4):
We are BA! one of the best airlines in the world, with our own brand and our own customers! If our customers wanted to fly with another carrier they would but they dont. They choose to travel with BA because we offer an excellent service, an excellent authentic British service.

OK. But what does any of that have to do with ownership? Is your Vauxhall necessarily an inferior car because ownership is foreign? Will you stop using BAA because it's Spanish?

The UK needs an airline of stature, an airline with grace and credability.

OK. But what does any of that have to do with ownership? (again.)

Sketty222

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting PM (Reply 5):
OK. But what does any of that have to do with ownership? Is your Vauxhall necessarily an inferior car because ownership is foreign? Will you stop using BAA because it's Spanish?

Quoting PM (Reply 5):
OK. But what does any of that have to do with ownership? (again.)

BA needs to be owned by British people as it is now. British people know what they want and how to get what they want. BA needs to stay in the hands of British people if not for anything else but to keep BA British!
If for example an American company takes over BA, will they not want to implement America ways of working? This IMO would not work for BA's customers. (my opinion only)

Lee

PM

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 6):
BA needs to stay in the hands of British people if not for anything else but to keep BA British!

It seems to me that this is at the heart of what you are saying. There are no compelling reasons why BA "needs" to be British (at least, and with respect, you haven't given any) but, on an emotional level, you want BA to be "British" (whatever that means).

777236ER

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:56 am

BA needs to be owned by British people as it is now. British people know what they want and how to get what they want. BA needs to stay in the hands of British people if not for anything else but to keep BA British!

Sorry, nope. BA is a plc., anyone can own it. Sorry.

The UK needs an airline of stature, an airline with grace and credability. If someone buys out the country's airline who is to be the major flag carrier?

BA isn't a flag carrier, and I can't quite see how an airline can be graceful.

an excellent authentic British service.

That would be like what? Queues at the post office and rude people on the Tube?

BA stopped being British when it became so London-centric. Perhaps you should start stipulating that BA shareholders should be southerners.
Your bone's got a little machine

Sketty222

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:03 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 8):
BA stopped being British when it became so London-centric. Perhaps you should start stipulating that BA shareholders should be southerners.

Im BA through and through and Im not a southener. I also know a lot of BA shareholders who are Northeners and not so London-centric! I just think that if BA were to be taken over by a foreign company then they will implement their ownway of tryin to make money when that way may not be best for the British public

Lee

PM

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:14 am

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 9):
they will implement their ownway of tryin to make money when that way may not be best for the British public

Exactly in which ways do BA base their decisions on what's best for the British public?

gh123

Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:33 pm

Sorry, nope. BA is a plc., anyone can own it. Sorry.

Well put.

PM

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:01 pm

That would be like what? Queues at the post office and rude people on the Tube?

Brilliant!  biggrin 

(And, lest anyone takes offence, I AM British!)

scotron11

Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:03 pm

I am happy to say I would not mind in the least who owned who. Oops! We have to keep BA a UK company because we need their aircraft to mobilize our soldiers. Or those terrible "foreigners" will squirrel all those "high paying" jobs overseas.

Who cares? Unless you're some protectionist xenophobe.

Quoting PM (Reply 5):

That is quite right! ( I happen to drive an Astra, he he). I am still trying to figure out why airlines are viewed and treated differently that other industries. Makes no sense to me.

FCAFLYBOY

Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:36 pm

Hope we dont get bought out as we need to stay as the flagship carrier of the UK

I though BA was the national carrier, and VS the flagship carrier?

The UK needs an airline of stature, an airline with grace and credability

BMI/Virgin Atlantic. Seriously, I do love BA, but they need to pull their finger out in many ways!

Oftwftwoab

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:12 pm

BA needs to be owned by British people as it is now.

Is it?

UK ownership rules are that at least 51% of BA must be owned by UK-based investors. Note: 'UK-based', not 'of UK nationality'.

You might want to take a look at the share register.

Quote:
British people know what they want and how to get what they want. BA needs to stay in the hands of British people if not for anything else but to keep BA British!

What does 'in British hands' mean? What does it mean to say that BA is British?

Quote:
If for example an American company takes over BA, will they not want to implement America ways of working? This IMO would not work for BA's customers. (my opinion only)

If it won't work for BA customers, why would a US company change the ways of working? That would be stupid.

What Britain needs is for its people and businesses to have access to cheap, safe air transport when they want it. The national interest can be preserved by regulation and competition. Ownership is an irrelevance. (In any event, UK pension funds etc own large quantities of shares in most airline companies that operate to and from the UK.)

gkirk

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:15 pm

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 14):
I though BA was the national carrier, and VS the flagship carrier?

I can those be true when they hardly fly from any UK airport outside of London?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

LHRSpotter

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:26 pm

I genuinely think that most Brits do not realize how many "Truly British" companies are actually under foreign ownership. Just look at all the car manufacturers for example...

LHStarAlliance

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:34 pm

Britons will not like this . Next British company for a foreign takeover.
This is what happens if all is privatized .
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

PanHAM

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:47 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 18):
Britons will not like this . Next British company for a foreign takeover.
This is what happens if all is privatized .

did you look at the lH share price recently? It's at € 21,00 now and foreign owenership reaches the 49% ceiling, and what is wrong with privatization? Would you prefer the inefficient state run airline LH was when the "Staatssekretaer" Ruhnau was CEO?

Far more dangerous for the prosperity of a company is the lack of resp. indaequate infrastructure, which is most visible in the UK.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

sk736

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:52 pm

BA needs to be owned by British people as it is now.

How do you know they are British? Anyone can buy shares in a publicly traded company. I own shares in many foreign companies, but I'm not a national of their countries. Bit of a silly comment you made, I think.

BA787

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:52 pm

BA isn't a flag carrier

As long as the spirit of BA is kept I don't care whop owns them, same for QF and any other airline. And If what you say is true about BA not being a flag carrier officially, we all know that BA is even if it isn't written in stone, I can think of no ther airline that represents Britain so well

LHStarAlliance

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
did you look at the lH share price recently? It's at € 21,00 now and foreign owenership reaches the 49% ceiling, and what is wrong with privatization? Would you prefer the inefficient state run airline LH was when the "Staatssekretaer" Ruhnau was CEO?

Well LH is the best example for a good privatization , but to Privatizes the Deutsche Bahn for example would be really bad as privatized Companys just search the dividend . ( I suggest you this @-Site http://www.bahn-fuer-alle.de/ )

I must say LH is lucky to have such a good Management , very social .
And this is the way to a good running Company .
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

FlyCaledonian

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:13 pm

There has been a lot of this in the press recently. Not so much in relation to BA but in the way so many UK companies are being snapped up by foreign firms when for UK firms to do the opposite is a lot harder. We'll even allow the Stock Exchange to be foreign owned it seems, despite the fact that it could mean US regulations applying in the City of London as a result. Nothing wrong with this free market approach, but when so many other countries don't allow it we should watch what we are doing ourselves. Thanks to Gordon Brown's statement over the Stock Exchange he has effectively given the green light to anything being availablr for takeover in this country. Yet France, Germany, etc, will happily find a reason to block this or that merger/takeover in the enrgegy sector, etc.

Those who knock BA as being London-centric should think-on. Is Iberia not Madrid-centred? Air France not centred on Paris? Lufthansa and Alitalia run dual-hubs for different reasons. And if BA was taken over, what's to say a new owner might decide that really increase value they want to make it a modern day BOAC. You might keep core shorthaul routes, but the LGW operation could just be abandoned/sold-off, leaving a Heathrow based longhaul carrier. Oh, hang-on, wouldn't that make it a bigger version of Virgin Atlantic?

The British car industry was effectively abandoned years ago, and chances of retaining a major car building company were ruined when Margaret Thatcher's favoured plan of selling British Leyland to Ford was blocked by her cabinet (Ford got Jaguar in the end).

Even BAA's new owners are considering splitting the company in two, one to manage the regulated activities, i.e. the airports, and the other to run the retail side which will be seen as more profitable. Again, many questioned allowing a major infrastructure owner to be placed in foreign hands when it's widely acknowledged that UK airports need major investment. T5 aside, Heathrow East still isn't a formality, Gatwick's South Terminal could surely do with rebuilding, and you've plans for additional runways at Heathrow and Stansted. Is a foreign owner going to be bothered about that, or might it just want a profitable retail operation?

An independent BA is still good for the UK, or one that merges with another European carrier (Iberia or Finnair). A hostile takeover could see the BA we know become merely a longhaul carrier. Don't forget, those LHR slots are extremely valuable and if it was felt that more longhaul and less shorthaul was better then that's what might happen.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

777236ER

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:27 pm

Im BA through and through and Im not a southener

Good for you. You're from Newcastle, part of the 5th largest conurbation in the UK. BA fly from Newcastle Airport to...Heathrow. And that's it. Eastern, easyJet, Flybe, Jet2, Ryanair, Thomsonfly and even Wideroe fly to more places than them!

I just think that if BA were to be taken over by a foreign company then they will implement their ownway of tryin to make money when that way may not be best for the British public

BA doesn't exist for the benefit of the British public, it exists for the benefit of its shareholders. It's not a public company any more, sorry.
Your bone's got a little machine

timboflier215

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 21):
As long as the spirit of BA is kept I don't care whop owns them

Exactly! Couldn't have put it better myself! Hopefully, IF BA is taken over, the new owners will invest in it, rather than leaching all the profits out and running the company into the ground. I hope that it will retain it's high class service at the front end, and not go all LCC to cut costs etc. I guess we will wait and see. Fingers crossed and good luck BA!

HUYguy

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:56 am

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing BA (the company I want to work for when I'm older) being owned by a foreign business as long as I don't see it getting run into the ground and slipping in standards. I'm sure that if a company like Emirates took over, then this wouldn't happen.
As far as BA being London-centric, there's nothing wrong with that, and I say that coming from the Midlands. London is where all the money is. If there was significant money to be made from other routes in the UK, say Manchester or Birmingham, then I'm sure BA would jump at that opportunity, but as it is, I can't see it happening.
When you think about it, the south-east (inc. London) region is home to 15 million people, which is just over a quarter of the UK population which is served by London Airports, in particular LHR and LGW. London is Europe's premier financial centre and one of the 4 global cities. Of course that's where BA are going to centre their business because it makes the most sense. That's my opinion.

Thomson735

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:04 am

I dont like the idea of BA being taken over by a middle eastern company, not that there is anything wrong with EK

Hmmm what if AA got taken over by Emirates?? not sure people would be happy

I personally dont think this will be allowed to happen anyway

Concorde001

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 23):
Nothing wrong with this free market approach, but when so many other countries don't allow it we should watch what we are doing ourselves.

I agree. I am all for the free market, but not when there isn't any reciprocity. There needs to be a level playing field and the new Director-General of the CBI seems to agree. Though he goes further, warning against too much British research and development falling under foreign control "because intellectual property tends to centre around companies' headquarters." I was surprised to hear this considering that the CBI is a very strong supporter of free markets.

vc10

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:35 am

Concorde001,
I could not agree more with your statement, especially with the term "level playing field", which many many countries do not want to have anything to do with. That is why companies are buying into Britain PLC as it is easier to buy companies in the UK than it would seem to be in other countries.
If you look at the recent Spanish acquisitions in the UK, such as Abbey National Bank and BAA you will find the Spanish companies concerned get tax breaks from their government if they invest in overseas companies. Not exactly level I would say, and that is an EU country.

littlevc10

Bongodog1964

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:38 am

I cant agree more that the level of service is more important than the overall ownership.

My degree of caution is however that many of the takeovers at present seem rather different to those of the past.

Previously takeovers seemed to be companys buying smaller competitors, or even mergers of equals. i.e. people investing in what they knew.

A lot at present seem to involve investment banks looking at companys from the point of pure asset value, and investing in things they don't know a lot about.

Concorde001

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 30):
A lot at present seem to involve investment banks looking at companys from the point of pure asset value, and investing in things they don't know a lot about.

That's a good point. For example, during the bidding war over BAA, many people, including BAA's management favoured a Ferrovial takeover instead of a Goldman Sachs one. Why? Because unlike Ferrovial, Goldman Sachs' main aim was to asset strip the company and earn the most £££ by doing so.

With regards to British Airways, the current Chairman Martin Broughton has already urged airline executives and shareholders to be on guard against such private equity groups:

"He said the airline industry was destined for consolidation, but executives and shareholders needed to be on their guard against what he called "interim consolidators" - buyout groups that would seek to grab airline assets on the cheap and sell them on when genuine industry consolidation got under way"

Source: Times Online

Martin Broughton also said BA wanted to take part in consolidation, but only once EU-US Open Skies had been agreed. I think it is safe to say, that as well as merging with/acquiring Iberia, BA wants to merge with AA, as does AA I think.

Incidentally, have you seen BA's share price? It is rocketing upwards!

[Edited 2006-12-16 18:16:38]

sk736

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:36 am

BA isn't a flag carrier

Of course it is. A flag carrier is any airline designated by its home nation to operate under a bilateral air services agreement. So in the UK Virgin, BA and bmi are all designated flag carriers. You seem to be confusing the term 'flag carrier' with 'national carrier', used to indicate an airline owned by the state.

AirNZ

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:55 am

What would be more beneficial would be an airline who is actually interested in the UK, and not only in flying from London. I'm afraid BA gave up the right to be called the national airline some years ago (except when it suits them to use that angle), and certainly the flag carrier when they chose to remove the Union flag from their aircraft.
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

detroitflyer

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 am

i dunno about u guyz... but if i were british, i would be firmly against a foreign takeover..
while this may be legal.. there is something called national pride.
Boiler Up!!!

sk736

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting Detroitflyer (Reply 34):
there is something called national pride

National pride should be reserved for things that matter - ownership of a commercial airline is hardly one of them.

LGW

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:33 am

I am more interested in who the owners are, their ideas and strategy for the airline rather than their nationality, in an ideal world we would have British owners and a profitable, sucessful airline at BA but in the real world we need owners and management who can make the best decisions for the airline's profitability and success, the staff and passengers, be they British or whatever nationality.

sevenforeseven

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:34 am

Sketty222 Grow up. The British now own NOTHING because the water companies, the gas companies, the car companies and nearly everything else is owned by foreighn companies. Yes before you say the YANKS will not ever sell anything to anyone without American interests. Phoney Tony and his bunch of muppets have let the UK be swamped by forieners, now if they own everything SO WHAT. We have lost.

jfk777

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:37 am

BA getting taken over is a sticky issue, British or not. How could Emirates possibly buy BA and not have huge landing right issues. BA is an airline with Comparative Advantage for the UK, it should be nurtured and allowed to be revolutionary in new products, Club World and markets. IF private equity wanted to take the firm private, like with Qantas, if its works and shareholders approve why not.

IF Lufthansa purchased BA then, the merger game in Europe would get really heat up, LH is the only airline large enough to merge with BA since AF and KLM. A non - European buyer would have problem buying BA, but if Maquarie bank wants to make an offer lets hear the number.

radelow

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:43 am

interesting takes here...some based on knowledge and others based on emotions. Must be a lot of young people here. BA is a public company and as such they can, within reason, be bought by anyone. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, such as areas where it can seriously affect national security etc. But regarding the buyers having the "right plan for the airline" is up to the board of directors & shareholders to decide. Regarding the attitude of foreign ownership being a "bad thing" that is simply absurd. Let's not forget that the UK is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) foreign holder of assets and investments in the US and I don't think that has been a bad thing. Regarding fair playing field, I agree with that but that shouldn't be decided by isolationist or protectionist strategies. That should be dealt with through WTO channels and the World Bank.

I say let's wait until we see who makes an offer on British Airways and how they base their valuation. That will give you a good idea of what they plan to do with the airline. After that, it's up to the owners of the company to decide what happens. And that's the stockholders, not a.net members.

And if the new buyers don't do the right thing, the customer will walk away and the airline will cease to exist. It has happened before and it'll happen again.

Lumberton

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting Thomson735 (Reply 27):
I dont like the idea of BA being taken over by a middle eastern company, not that there is anything wrong with EK

Why not load the airline up with debt and make it utterly unattractive? But Alitalia or 150 widebodies....  duck 

Hmmm what if AA got taken over by Emirates?? not sure people would be happy

Unfortunately, there are restrictions on foreign ownership of U.S. airlines, otherwise BA could buy one of the bankrupt U.S. carriers and load it's balance sheet up with debt.  spin 
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

BA787

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:00 am

Me thinks it would be an ideal opportunity to see a lovely BA A380 Big grin and think of the money EK would bring to BA. Stuff being a British owned airline, especially when you're skint. Think of all that lovely money EK has and how nice it would be to use it on BA

Thomson735

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:11 am

we dnt need or want foreign companies taking over BA

Especially not middle eastern

Bongodog1964

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:14 am

A number of the business commentators hold the opinion that at least one of these high debt buyouts will result in the bought out company eventually collapsing in the eventuality of interest rates rising.

IMO it would be a great pity if BA with its heritage was the one.

jcavinato

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:17 am

Cunard, long a British flagship ocean liner company is now owned by Carnival of the Miami, Florida cruise ship ilk though the ships are actually registered in Flags of Convenience countries (like Panama, Bahamas, Liberia, etc.) And Carnival was long known for the low end cruise market. I haven't been on the QE II since Carnival's take over or the new Queen Mary II, so I can't say if there has been any decrease in service quality.

The parallels with BA are strong with this discussion, though.

jacobin777

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting Thomson735 (Reply 42):

Any particular reason you have a problem with it..especially middle easterners?
"Up the Irons!"

Thomson735

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 45):
Quoting Thomson735 (Reply 42):

Yes there is! and im sure u know what it is

madairdrie

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting Thomson735 (Reply 46):

Yes there is! and im sure u know what it is

I dont so maybe you could enlighten me!

bastew

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:17 am

Is London not in Britain? Are 'southerners' not british?

As for not the flag carrier:
Name 'British Airways'.
Big union jack design on the tail.
Livery: red, white and blue. 230+ aircraft including 57 747's and 40 777's. 200+ destinations around the globe on every major continent.

But hey, guess we don't have the union jack on our wing-tips. And we don't fly extensively from any other city in our country (which is smaller in size than California).
Can't possibly be the flag carrier!

BA could already be 49% owned by foreign hands (as Virgin Atlantic already is). Big deal. The airline will always be BA, it will always be based in BRITAIN regardless of how the shares are dealt out.

Emirates773ER

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 45):

Good question. Maybe he has a problem with us as BA share holders as well?
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos