kaitak
Topic Author

Hear Ye, Hear Ye - Make Way For Irish Aviation 27!

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:08 am

Well, 'twas still the night before Christmas and quite a lot of people were stirring, because let's face it, the night before Christmas isn't particularly quiet in Dublin. Dickens didn't actually live in the days of I-Pods, Wiis and whatever else this year's fad is.

Anyway, our last little outing went for about three days; anyone who doubts the Irish can talk should just come along to our thread.

We start our next Christmas journey in the North Pole, where Santa has hired a shedload of former Airbus engineers, but they can't get the wiring sorted out on the toys, so they're going to write to the little boys and girls on St. Stephen's Day to tell them their toys will be late.

Santa's busily replying to letters; let's join him. Here's one from Dermot, a 50 year old accountant who's just moved back to Dublin after twenty years in the Middle East and is desperate to go back. Just click your heels and close your eyes, and keep saying "there's no place like Dubai, there's no place like Dubai". And there's a PS - if we can't do that, any chance we could source a consignment of nearly new long haul twins.

And then there's Michael from Athlone. Michael has asked for everything; 60 new 737s, another airline and has threatened to open up a competing business in Greenland (lower taxes) and give the kids cheaper toys (but send them invoices in the new year); he'll also be flying the sleigh with only two reindeer, so Rudolph, Prancer, Dancer and any of the others who give him any backchat will be sold to a Swedish catering firm.

And now, we return to the business of swapping our dreams, aspirations and hopes for next year. And there's still no charge for that.

Nollaig shona dhaoibh go leir!

EI787

RE: Hear Ye, Hear Ye - Make Way For Irish Aviation 27!

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:11 am

What a feckin great opening, Kaitak!!  rotfl  Fantastic!

Let's time this thread by hours, rather than days, shall we?!!!

EI321

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:51 am

Nollaig shona duit!!!   

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fergal Goodman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Sheldon

[Edited 2006-12-20 01:54:17]

EIBoston

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 1):
What a feckin great opening, Kaitak!! Fantastic!

Ditto! Nice start to Christmas Week Smile

shamrock350

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:07 pm

Merry Christmas Everyone!  santahat 

smokeyrosco

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 pm

While waiting for the EC to come back on the Takeover I came across this.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1220/airlines.html

Quote:
New EU air emission rules planned

December 20, 2006 11:43
The European Commission has proposed to set carbon dioxide emission quotas for airlines from 2011, a stance which has already met with hostility from the aviation industry and environmentalists.

The proposal, which still has to be adopted by EU member states and the European Parliament, would see emissions rules imposed from 2011 on flights within the EU and from 2012 for flights originating outside the union.

It would cover both EU and foreign aircraft operators and the quotas would be based on emission levels from last year.

'Aviation too should make a fair contribution to our efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions,' Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas said in a statement.

The quotas would be part of the EU's Emissions Trading Scheme. That would allow airlines to sell surplus quotas if they cut back emissions far enough. They would be forced to buy additional allowances if they produce too many.

Aircraft carbon dioxide emissions account for only about 3% of the global total but they have increased by 87% since 1990, according to the Commission.
John Hancock

PanAmOldDC8

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Well, 'twas still the night before Christmas and quite a lot of people were stirring, because let's face it, the night before Christmas isn't particularly quiet in Dublin. Dickens didn't actually live in the days of I-Pods, Wiis and whatever else this year's fad is.

You are a funny lad, thanks for the laugh. Loved your filing. And a Merry Christmas to you too. I hope Santa brings you a sack full of 737's and the Stews to go along with them
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

shamrock350

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:25 pm

Why doesn't Aer Lingus has a Greece site? They do plan to fly there so how do they expect passengers from Greece to fly them when they don't have a website. I hope they get a Lithuania website, lots of business there!

Also there is a big sale on for the next few weeks, LAX for only €100 and Dubai for €127. With fares that low who cares if it's EI-DAA or not!  Wink
www.aerlingus.com

IOLAR

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:05 pm

Proposed Irish start-up FlyU eyes May launch

A new Irish carrier called FlyU plans to launch operations next May to several European destinations from Waterford Airport in southeast Ireland.

Waterford Airport manager Aidan Power tells ATI the proposed carrier is “still operating in the start-up phase” and is planning to launch service to “five or six” destinations in May 2007.

Few details are currently available, although in a recruitment advertisement placed in ATI sister publication Flight International FlyU says it will provide “regular services to European cities and holiday destinations using a [British Aerospace] 146-200 series aircraft”. It adds that flights will also be operated from Galway.

Further details are expected to be announced shortly.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news
Aer Lingus - Ireland's National Airline

dstc47

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:14 pm

Kaitak

I do hope you make it home for the holiday season, despite adverse weather.

Watch out for the traffic from the Port Tunnel merging/crossing with the airport access traffic after today.

As for Santa - he tells me very few in the Irish aviation community are going to get any more than a small plastic re-sealable bag for Christmas from him, due to overall poor performance. Only a certain Mr O'Leary gets a voucher for a free flight to the North Pole (Hahn)......

shamrock350

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 pm

FlyU? I think I've heard this name before, it was a proposed start up from Norther Ireland, FlyUlster but nothing came of it.
Could be a threat to Aer Arann, either way I hope it lasts longer than some of our previous start ups, JetMagic, Eirjet and Greenjet or was it JetGreen?  Confused

smokeyrosco

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:18 pm

Quoting IOLAR (Reply 8):
[British Aerospace] 146-200 series aircraft".

I wonder if this could be a soon to be ex WX bird.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 10):
FlyU? I think I've heard this name before

sounds a little too close to something else, remove the ly and see what you get. I have to say i agree with you, a startup in Ireland is particularly hard at the moment although maybe it's the right time for WAT. Who knows, I guess time will tell.
John Hancock

IOLAR

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:19 pm

or was it JetGreen?

Yes I believe it was FlyJetGreen,yep lets hope they make a real go of it.
Aer Lingus - Ireland's National Airline

aerarann

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:47 pm

previous start ups, JetMagic, Eirjet and Greenjet or was it JetGreen

And Dont Forget Freshaer , the predecessor to FlyJetGreen , Set up by the same group as Freshaer.

I really hope FLYu succeeds!

They should give RE a run for there money on some routes, and it can only be a good thing for RE, and help them become more competitive and diverse!

Anymore details on FLYu, such as a website??

ei2ksea

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:58 pm

I really cannot see this getting much traction. A single BAe146 flying what will be at best marginal routes. RE has a good niche using the cheap to own and run ATR's and whilst they have upcapped some potential in Waterford - I dont see a 146 getting decent sized loads with good enough yields to provide a return on the investment. RE entered WAT when they had lots of experience from their Galway ops (which are similarly small scale and niche oriented) not to mention some financial staying power and a well known name.

On a completely different note - any word on what effect todays HGV opening of the Port Tunnel is having on airport bound traffic?
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

Poitin

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting EI2KSEA (Reply 14):
I really cannot see this getting much traction. A single BAe146 flying what will be at best marginal routes. RE has a good niche using the cheap to own and run ATR's and whilst they have upcapped some potential in Waterford - I dont see a 146 getting decent sized loads with good enough yields to provide a return on the investment. RE entered WAT when they had lots of experience from their Galway ops (which are similarly small scale and niche oriented) not to mention some financial staying power and a well known name.

A 146 was never a cheap to own, cheap to use aircraft, which is why they are so cheap today. However, RE would lose money on it given the short legs they fly. They are much better off with ATRs or Q400s.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

ei2ksea

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:57 am

My point was that RE are doing well out of WAT with the ATR and I dont see FlyU getting very far with a 146 (sorry if i wasn't clear).

Regards
PeteH

EI787

RE: Hear Ye, Hear Ye - Make Way For Irish Aviation

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:56 am

There's a brand new Irish Air France website:

http://www.airfrance.ie

I believe that it is now the same design as the US site. Looks cool!

In other news, the fog has reaked havoc at airports in the West, particularly NOC:

Quote:
Ireland West Airport at Knock is among the worst hit, with four flights cancelled so far and alternative travel arrangements being made for up to 1,000 passengers.

Passengers who were due to fly to Birmingham and Manchester are being taken by bus to Belfast where it is hoped they will be able to travel on alternative flights.

An inbound flight from Luton was diverted to Dublin and passengers are being brought to Knock by bus.

shamrock350

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:04 am

The weather is bad here in London too. I'm not sure if EI711 was effected by the weather or something else but it has only just arrived in ORK from LHR. EI711 was due in ORK at 11am this morning!
RE623 from DUB to ORK has been cancelled and there has been no word on where EI715 is, it should have arrived in ORK at 15.20 but is now due at 8pm.

aerarann

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:32 am

RE NEWS

ORK - SOU : Discontinued From 9th Jan

IOM - LTN : Discontinued From 9th Jan

GWY - CWL : Reduced from 3 Weekly to 2 Weekly

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 9):
Kaitak

I do hope you make it home for the holiday season, despite adverse weather.

Thanks Dstc47, I was in a bit of a panic over lunchtime. Most Flybe Dash 8 flights out of Birmingham have been cancelled, including those to Jersey and the forecast for Saturday shows visibility as very poor. This being Christmas, I really don't want to risk being stuck, so I have booked a new flight via LGW and LHR. It's a messy way to go; I know there has been bad fog at LHR today, but fog at LHR should cause only delays not cancellation and given my experiences earlier in the year, I'm not going to risk not being able to get home at Christmas. I'll let you know how I get on.

I see we have another few production slots for the 787 being taken up today, with Royal Jordanian deciding in favour of the type (as well as more A32Xs); now that's going to be a gorgeous airplane! What strikes me is that as part of the RJ deal, Airbus would have offered a very attractive A350/32X package. No doubt later delivery played a part (RJ's A310s and A340-200s aren't getting any younger), but it's just interesting to see the way other carriers jump ... the ones that actually make decisions.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:10 am

More on the FR takeover bid for EI and the EU's stance on O/S:

The Commission was expected to make its views known today, but no sign of white smoke from Brussels today. Probably tomorrow ... I was looking forward to seeing how they would go, but I don't expect them to rule out an EI take over. There was some indication that they would enter into a more detailed examination, to see if there were grounds for telling FR to give up flights.

More significantly (well, from my perspective!) is that EU govts and airlines will meet in Brussels in the near future, to decide what negotiating stance the Commission will take in the next round of EU/US talks. The govt needs to take a very strong stance here; a few questions for starters:
- Is it the Commission's view that Ireland (and EI) should be held to the current arrangement of 50/50 with only 4 US gateways?
- If so, how does this advance the EU's negotiating stance, one way or the other, given the issue which is obstructing agreement?
- Will the Commission accept that a new Irish/US deal, which includes a "Community Clause" will be sufficient to allow the current Irish bilateral to be changed.
- Will the Commission explain how a mandate from the ECJ can be interpreted in a manner which results in a country or undertaking having a competitive disadvantage imposed on it?
I don't believe the Commission can answer any of these questions satisfactorily. Frankly, if the Commission takes an obstructionist stance, it can kiss its Constitution goodbye.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:37 am

The Commission is obviously working late this evening:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/20122006/325...probe-aer-lingus-ryanair-deal.html

Basically, the Commission is going to undertake an in-depth probe of the FR/EI deal. Its decision has therefore been put back to May 2007. Between that and the likely two fingers (or indeed, one finger, in spirit of being economical) likely to be given to MO'L by EI investors on Friday, poor MO'L is going to get a feeling of rejection - and in Christmas week. Aww ...

aerarann

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:21 am

shamrocka330

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:29 am

santahat  Happy Christmas!  santahat 

Was there a 707 or a DC8 in DUB today?! I saw what looked to be like either of these flying over Dundrum in Dublin today! It was a beautiful, clear afternoon and you could clearly see the white aircraft flying over. It looked like a 707. Anyone got more information?
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

EI787

Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 24):
Was there a 707 or a DC8 in DUB today?!

Yes, it was a DC8, African International. Something like this one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Glenn Beasley

Landed at about 15.00

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:51 am

Ryanair has said it's disappointed in the EU decision. Interestingly, it has suggested that it is going to make a new offer for the airline - once the EU Commission has completed its review in May 2007.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/?jp=CWSNAUKFSNAU

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...RYANAIR-AERLINGUS-LAPSE-URGENT.XML

So, Friday's deadline is now irrelevant. FR is going to make a new offer in 2007 and in the meantime, is it reasonable to suggest that it's going to make life an awful lot tougher for EI?

Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a rough ride!

jwmd123

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:03 am

From reading the basics of the EU report, it would appear they are not disposed to the FR bid.

The major things they are concerned about is the traffic out of DUB.

To me, I see Friday as being MOL's equivelant of 'Black Monday'.
Seeing as though he cannot make another bid for EI for another year, I can see MOL heading off and moving on to other issues like the increase in tax in the UK and the new emissions control for airlines

shamrocka330

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 25):
Yes, it was a DC8, African International

Thanks 787! I saw it flying over at about 14.50, so your 15.00 arrival time sounds right. Do you know what the purpose of the trip was?
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

Poitin

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting EI2KSEA (Reply 16):
My point was that RE are doing well out of WAT with the ATR and I dont see FlyU getting very far with a 146 (sorry if i wasn't clear).

I agree with you. The 146 makes no sense on really short haul (under 500 km). It probably makes no sense in the world of $60 a barrel oil, period. However, they are cheap to buy, although their engines are a bit of a headache. Thus FlyU's (or who ever they are, because FlyU is a Chinese LLC) interest. It is interesting that Flybe has a sh## load of Q400s and about 20 195 Embraers on order, which will make a great longer than 500 KM short haul aircraft.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 22):
Basically, the Commission is going to undertake an in-depth probe of the FR/EI deal. Its decision has therefore been put back to May 2007. Between that and the likely two fingers (or indeed, one finger, in spirit of being economical) likely to be given to MO'L by EI investors on Friday, poor MO'L is going to get a feeling of rejection - and in Christmas week. Aww ...

Unfortunately, that will only anger him. The price will go down.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 26):
So, Friday's deadline is now irrelevant. FR is going to make a new offer in 2007 and in the meantime, is it reasonable to suggest that it's going to make life an awful lot tougher for EI?

Not directly from FR. As noted, FR has pretty much avoided competing directly with EI on routes, and I expect him to continue because EI doesn't need any help to look bad. I think MOL will just sit on the sidelines and make rude remarks, but that is about all until the Commission gets off their fat asses. By the time they do, life could be pretty grim at EI, unless they do the staff cuts the must do.

As Dan Cook once said, "The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings". And as far as I can see, she hasn't even entered the opera house, let alone got onto stage. We are still in act II of the great Celtic opera, "Aer Lingus", and it has turned back into a Kabuki dance until the European lords sing come May 11 -- or whenever.

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 27):
The major things they are concerned about is the traffic out of DUB.

This was always a problem, given that about 50% of the DUB flights are FR and another 25% EI. That is something like 1300 a week, if I remember the numbers. Most analysts think they will have to give up about a third of the total number of slots. Which is sort of stupid because not that many other carriers comer to DUB in serious numbers. However, since he has offered to give up LHR slots, I am sure MOL will wheel and deal to get "permission."

gilesdavies

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:52 am

LATEST NEWS ON RYANAIR TAKE OVER

Just watching the Business News on BBC News 24 and in the last 10 mins Ryanair have annouced that they are withdrawing their takeover bid of Aer Lingus.

This news has been prompted after the EU Monopoly commission decided earlier this evening they would investigate Ryanair's hostile takeover bid of Aer Lingus.

They just had a Business Analyst on the programme and advised it is likely Ryanair will continue to keep hld of their 25% stake in the airline but would remain a silent shareholder. Then followed to say Ryanair would probably sell the shares when they could make a health profit in the shares.

I will add a web-link to this story once it becomes available...

https://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/3159724/

[Edited 2006-12-20 23:53:16]

jwmd123

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting Poitin (Reply 29):
This was always a problem, given that about 50% of the DUB flights are FR and another 25% EI.

Very true Poitin. I read from the ise website part of MOL's arguements why the deal should have been approved at phase 1. He mainly harped on about the AF-KLM merger and that in CDG the merged entity controlled 62% of the movements and the proposed EI/FR entity would only control 61% of movements in DUB???

The big problem I have with this arguement is that the difference in prior to the merger i would guess AF controlled at least 55-60% of the movements and the merger with KLM did not increase greatly the overall amount of movements.

I come back that the case for the AF-KLM merger is different than MOL's. Although FR is a pan european airline, they are an Irish based airline looking to buy and irish based airline. This would severly hamper peoples choice in Ireland.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/L...wsPopup.aspx?id=1368742&source=RNS

Poitin

RE: Hear Ye, Hear Ye - Make Way For Irish Aviation

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 30):
LATEST NEWS ON RYANAIR TAKE OVER

Just watching the Business News on BBC News 24 and in the last 10 mins Ryanair have annouced that they are withdrawing their takeover bid of Aer Lingus.

This news has been prompted after the EU Monopoly commission decided earlier this evening they would investigate Ryanair's hostile takeover bid of Aer Lingus.

Well, NOT EXACTLY what was said. MOL is merely regrouping so he can rebid within 12 months. This is the OFFICIAL Ryanair statement as posted on ISE (Emphasis added on key point)

http://www.ise.ie/app/announcementDetails.asp?ID=1368740

Ryanair Holdings plc announces that following today's decision of the European
    Commission to refer the acquisition of Aer Lingus to Phase II, Ryanair's Offer
    lapses, in accordance with the requirements of the Takeover Rules, with
    immediate effect and all acceptances of the Offer received to date are void.

Ryanair also announces that in the event of European Commission clearance
    following its Phase II review, Ryanair intends to make a further offer for Aer
    Lingus ("Further Offer"). The making of any such Further Offer would require
    consent of the Panel to a derogation from the prohibition on making a further
    offer within twelve months after the date on which the original Offer lapsed.

The Takeover Rules Notes specifically provide that the Panel may grant its
    consent in circumstances where a previous offer has lapsed as a result of a
    Phase II enquiry by the European Commission and following approval by the
    Commission a new offer is made within 21 days of such decision.

Ryanair will make further announcements when appropriate.

The following is also worth a read:
http://www.ise.ie/app/announcementDetails.asp?ID=1368742

shamrock350

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:59 am

So can Aer Lingus finally move forward with their plans as of before the FR bid, that is if the FR bid is what was stopping them in the first place!

EI321

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:02 am

How have the plans changed since the FR bid? It was always unlikely to succeed!

Poitin

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 31):
I come back that the case for the AF-KLM merger is different than MOL's. Although FR is a pan european airline, they are an Irish based airline looking to buy and irish based airline. This would severly hamper peoples choice in Ireland.

I agree but for other reasons -- MOL will gut the EI short haul. It will all be FR, one way or another. The obvious way to do that would be to wet lease EI flights from FR.

As for the legal issues, those will have to be decided in a law court. Clearly MOL is preparing to fight this in court, if need be.

Gonna be an interesting 2007, folks.

Poitin

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 33):
So can Aer Lingus finally move forward with their plans as of before the FR bid, that is if the FR bid is what was stopping them in the first place!

Quoting EI321 (Reply 34):

Sadly no. It will now hang fire until the Phase II is over. Either that, or DM is going to have to show some balls and start reorganizing EI. I have my doubts about him doing that.

Poitin

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 17):
There's a brand new Irish Air France website:

http://www.airfrance.ie

I believe that it is now the same design as the US site. Looks cool!

A fun site. I tried it out and found they claim to go to ORK!

TLS to ORK is just E102 plus tax. About E335 return total.

smokeyrosco

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 32):
Well, NOT EXACTLY

Whats been said everywhere on the news today is that the offer is withdrawn and in 90 days after the EC report or decision or what ever it is, MOL and FR will then decide if they are going to (or can) make a further offer. Also what has been said that anyone that had agreed to sell at the bid price that the offer is now void and they get nothing (well besides whatever the current share price is if they want to sell now)

interestingly enough EI share price is holding at 2.73

http://www.ise.ie/app/equityDetails.asp?equity=41372

no get plunge from people trying to make a buck then.
John Hancock

EI787

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:24 am

Here's a useful site for the status of RE flights. It is not advertised well on their website:

http://www.aerarann.com/about_us/flightstatus.htm

smokeyrosco

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 39):
It is not advertised well on their website:

haha thats probably because you'd easily see how often they dirvert and cancel flights (although I know it can't really be helped the last few days)
John Hancock

shamrock350

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 34):

They haven't changed at all but they have been delayed. In September EI was talking about an A330 order in October and a decision on the 787/350XWB by November. New long-haul product in Premier and economy new short haul and there was even rumours of EI announcing a return to Northern Ireland!
The announcements that have been made on short-haul were about a month later than expected such as the ATH route.
Most blamed the FR takeover bid throwing DM and the EI board into a panic trying to stop FR while each week they increased their stake in EI.

Poitin

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 38):
Whats been said everywhere on the news today is that the offer is withdrawn and in 90 days after the EC report or decision or what ever it is, MOL and FR will then decide if they are going to (or can) make a further offer

A bit more complex than that. What MOL is hoping is the EC agrees that the deal can go forward (perhaps after a court case if they don't agree first time around.) and that the EC forgoes the 12 month waiting period. Whose to say what will happen. However, come 22 December 2007, we could see it start again.

That is, I somehow doubt MOL will walk away. I agree he should, but I don't see him doing it. We will have to see if he does get his senses back. Perhaps he will.

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 38):
interestingly enough EI share price is holding at 2.73

http://www.ise.ie/app/equityDetails.asp?equity=41372
no get plunge from people trying to make a buck then.

I don't see any great panic to sell as there is nothing to keep FR from buying. True the EC might get upset, but there is no written rule as long as they don't get the 50% plus. Yes, I know that the EC frowns on people buying up more than 20%, but MOL already has 25%. Nothing to keep him from going to 49%, is there? Since he has already did a private deal when the stock reached E2.65 a few weeks ago, he is liable to do it again.

Also, all of this assumes that other stockholders do not support a MOL list for the EI board of directors. What he needs is 50%+ of the stock holders to vote his way, put his board of directors in EI and he has control of EI even though he does not own that much. That should be interesting if it were to happen because EI would be a completly independent company, and FR a minority shareholder. I wonder if there are any rules against it in the EU?

ei2ksea

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:50 am

Just looking at my reservation for EI132 friday night. In the terms and conditions it says sports equipment now costs EUR35 - isnt that an increase? The website still says EUR30! Somewhat of a stealthy increase before ski season perhaps?

aerarann

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 40):
haha thats probably because you'd easily see how often they dirvert and cancel flights (although I know it can't really be helped the last few days)

With respect to RE, Its the inability of their ATR fleet to fly in fog conditions which has caused these unpreventable delays and CANX. ALL airlines were affected yesterday, however RE suffered most. They've had a rough time over the last few days, but there flight operations have been working hard...(on their 12 hour shifts), all ground staff and operations staff have worked in difficult conditions assisting everyone with there Christmas travel plans and all PAX are being kept updated via Text Messages ( Which RE always use to advise PAX of delays), I dont know of any other Irish airlines that provide regular flight status via SMS.

-LTN bound flights operated to Southend today

-CWL & SOU bound flights operated to Bristol today

-ORK - DUB some services CANX

-Today saw a JET being charted in to operate from Southend - Shannon , resulting in all but one RE flights ex LTN being merged onto this jet.

[Edited 2006-12-22 00:02:17]

smokeyrosco

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 42):
no written rule as long as they don't get the 50% plus

Actually there is, not with the EC but with the ISE.

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 44):
With respect to RE

With Respect to RE I worked closely with/for RE for two years up until August and I've seen RE planes go tech more times then any other airline in DUB (maybe with the exception of WX?). RE are great when things go as planned but as soon as something (usually simple) gets out of hand they seem not to be able to recover from it. I promise that if you look at that again over a week in March or April (before they get their new aircraft) you'll see some cancellations and some diversions.
John Hancock

UK_Dispatcher

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi guys - I've enjoyed reading this thread so far - shall keep an eye on the Irish aviation threads from now on.

May have to try the EI DXB-DUB route sometime too - I'm long overdue a trip to Ireland and some of those fares are pretty cheap.

I posted this one in another thread earlier but didn't get much response. Poitin suggested some of you guys may be able to help. I flew quite often in and out of DUB over the past few years - mainly on the sadly missed (by me at least) Ryanair B732s, but there are some flights for which I didn't manage to get the a/c registrations. I have tried Ringway Reports for the MAN flights but there are no records for FR on those weeks. Is there a similar site for DUB, or can anyone point me in the right direction?

FR603 / 13JAN99 MME-DUB 732
FR604 / 15JAN99 DUB-MME 732

FR0553 / 09OCT03 MAN-DUB 732
FR0556 / 11OCT03 DUB-MAN 732

BA7614 / 28JAN01 DUB-LBA J41

EI0213 / 26NOV03 MAN-DUB 143

Cheers.

EI787

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:41 pm

The ability to pay for your baggage has just gone live on aerlingus.com

€4 per bag.

EINA330

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:02 pm

hey all and merry Christmas
Lets all hope for a peaceful one.
Great intro Kaitak!!
it seems very strange to me that plans to announce new services or routes designed at making Aer Lingus a better airline were put on hold simply because they were working on a plan to counter the takeover by RYR.
Surely they have different teams of people working on different aspects of the airline's operation?

smokeyrosco

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:27 pm

Quoting EINA330 (Reply 48):
were put on hold

I have a funny feeling something is up between EI and Airbus, weather it's good or bad I don't know.
John Hancock

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos