Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLIGHTDECK787
Topic Author

YX And OO

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:36 pm

Midwest Airlines chooses Skywest to do 50 seat flying. Expect announcement by the end of the week.

airtran737

RE: YX And OO

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:30 pm

If it's true then that it quite a surprise. I think we all expected ZW to get the contract.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ERJ170

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:36 pm

Cant wait to see where these birds will go. Some new expansion has to be occuring.

Noting 25 aircraft total, first 15 to start coming between Apr 2007 and Oct 2007 with flying from both MKE and MCI.

Will there be cookies? will there be leather seats? So many questions.. I'm ready to start hearing the routes to be affected...
Aiming High and going far..

ATWZW170

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:36 pm

What is your source? That would be a huge surprise to most everyone in the aviation world. No one ever thought that OO was even in the running.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

uncgso

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:39 pm

I just read it here...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061221/lath035.html?.v=85

now just can't wait for thos MCI/MKE-GSO flights....
ha ha....yeah right...

n917me

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:47 pm

To: All Midwest and Skyway Airlines Employees
Date: December 21, 2006
From: Scott Dickson, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer
Lynda Kohler, Director of Airline Partner Services
Subject: 50-Seat Regional Jet Program Now Official

We're very pleased to announce that Midwest Airlines has reached agreement with SkyWest Airlines, Inc. to operate 50-seat regional jet service beginning in April 2007. SkyWest will operate a minimum of 15 and up to 25 Canadair Regional Jets for Midwest during the five-year term of the agreement.

Flying as Midwest Connect, the SkyWest jets will allow us to quickly and cost-effectively add new destinations, increase frequency on existing routes and upgrade several regional routes to all-jet service. SkyWest, which is based in St. George, Utah, will provide aircraft, flight crews and maintenance services for the 50-seat aircraft. Midwest Airlines will oversee route planning, scheduling, marketing and sales for the new flights. Specific routes from Milwaukee and Kansas City, as well as schedules, will be announced at a later date.

We chose SkyWest because of their experience, their excellent record of operational performance, and a commitment to customer service that mirrors that of Midwest. We're excited to partner with one of the highest quality operators of commuter aircraft to offer greatly expanded travel opportunities to our customers. We're confident this program will be popular with passengers, and successful for both Midwest and SkyWest.

The aircraft will be painted in the Midwest Connect livery and feature Midwest's brown leather seats, buy-onboard Best Care Cuisine meals, and popular baked-onboard chocolate chip cookies.

As you know, Skyway Airlines also operates under the Midwest Connect brand. Skyway will continue to operate our fleet of 328JET and Beech 1900 aircraft as a vital element of Midwest's route network.

The new regional jet program is an essential component of our growth plans. Our comprehensive long-term business and strategic plans provide us with a capacity increase of 15% in 2007 and averaging 10% per year over the next three years, as well as significantly greater growth in profitability. The planned expansion will result in an increase of employment of approximately 8% in 2007, not including staffing associated with the new CRJ program. Additionally, two MD-80 series aircraft and one 328JET are expected to go into revenue service in the first half of 2007.

In response to customer requests, we are also announcing plans to reconfigure our Saver Service operations to add several rows of two-by-two Signature Service seating. The new seating option on the MD-80 aircraft is intended to further differentiate our product in the marketplace, a practice that has served us well over the last 22 years. Listening to our travelers and offering them choices has earned us an extremely loyal customer base, and made us the successful company we are today. The seating change is planned for later in 2007.

In 2007, travelers will benefit from Midwest's most aggressive route expansion in recent years. Both Milwaukee and Kansas City will see exciting enhancements, as we add at least six new destinations and as many as 12 new routes. We'll also continue to upgrade turboprop markets, with four more cities transitioning to all-regional jet service. These plans are a reflection of our ongoing commitment to providing customers with a truly differentiated travel experience at a time when other airlines have commoditized flying.

Mainland

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:24 pm

Can't wait to hear the AirTran response to this...
You don't need a passport to know what state you're in...

daus

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:56 pm

So what's the scoop on SkyWest? Is it a good operator?

ERJ170

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting N917ME (Reply 5):
Both Milwaukee and Kansas City will see exciting enhancements, as we add at least six new destinations and as many as 12 new routes.

I can see all 6 new destinations from MKE with at least 4 of those destinations from MCI also. I also see some new dot connecting from MCI for those 12 routes.. I predict MCI will become as important and possibly nearly as large as MKE!

As for those 6 new routes.. my predictions are at least RDU, CLT, MSY, +1 Canadian..

But I could be wrong.. has happened before..

Added information:

Speaking for what I could see happening at RDU.. 2x MCI & 2x MKE eventually going to 3x MCI all on Skyway. As for location, I predict either C19 (former AirTran locale) or A16 (a 4 gate RJ stand) after American moves their crap out the way. As far as fees at RDU too high as to their previous reason for leaving.. for real? I didn't know that! Who would have thought because at that time, landing fees were only $0.83/1000 lbs!

[Edited 2006-12-21 16:09:56]

flyinryan99

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:12 am

Since we have to talk about it on here...I'll post what I posted in the other (locked) thread.

Quote:
Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 10):
While the FRJ is an orphan aircraft, it was a short production run and many of the available aircraft are not in good shape. Of the two they picked up a few months ago, one is still not in service because of the work that needed to be done. I believe when they announced that FRJ's #11 and #12 were coming late last summer, they said they may acquire more if good models come on the market.

I had heard the ones sitting down in MYR were practically crap, thanks for the response. I was more or less wondering if they could replace the B1900s with Dornier 328 Turboprops as opposed to the FRJs. I was wondering if the operating costs were negligible to get the 328 turboprops to replace the B1900s because I had heard the transition to the FRJ wasn't difficult. Thanks again.

n917me

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:12 am

Think about some cities that are not connected NS to MCI.

[Edited 2006-12-21 16:16:56]

knope2001

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 9):
I was more or less wondering if they could replace the B1900s with Dornier 328 Turboprops as opposed to the FRJs

Dang...that's clearly what you said. Sorry!!

Not sure if they are givnig serious consideration to props at this point. Even though the 328 props are largely common with the FRJ's, I suspect as prop vs jet there are some significant differences for training, dispatching, maintenence, etc. Anybody know more on this? It's only speculation of course.

PVD757

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:54 am

Boy do I hope they come to PVD - there hasn't been anything to get excited about airline wise (besides NK's extra FLL/RSW flights) in a long time...

ERJ170

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 12):
Boy do I hope they come to PVD

Just from the outside looking in, the problem for PVD is gate space. I know there are some under-utlitzed gates, but there are no empty gates. Even Gate 2 (US) is completely not used but accounted for. PVD needs to add some new gates.. and I would say at least 5. Even if they just add a temporary RJ terminal with 5 gates.. something is needed..

SkyexRamper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:02 am

dang dang dang....that sure was a shocker. 1st one with pics gets a gold star!

[Edited 2006-12-21 17:05:39]
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

SkyexRamper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:06 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 12):
Boy do I hope they come to PVD

I can't imagine there being such a market at PVD for us.

Kohflot

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 am

In the same press release...

In response to customer requests, we are also announcing plans to reconfigure our Saver Service operations to add several rows of two-by-two Signature Service seating. The new seating option on the MD-80 aircraft is intended to further differentiate our product in the marketplace..

Yeah, I'm having a REALLY hard time thinking of another airline that offers BOTH several rows of two-by-two business-style seating and a much larger section of economy-style seating on the same aircraft. This is revolutionary!

[Edited 2006-12-21 17:16:18]
Ask why..

N353SK

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:16 am

If they're putting the nice brown leather seats in the CRJs does that mean YX might actually pony up the cash to get proper interiors inside the two new FRJs?

BrianMcGee

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Kohflot (Reply 16):
Yeah, I'm having a REALLY hard time thinking of another airline that offers BOTH several rows of two-by-two business-style seating and a much larger section of economy-style seating on the same aircraft. This is revolutionary!

Heh, I was wondering what the editorial nightmare "intended to further differentiate our product in the marketplace" meant...
I stayed up listening to Queen. When I was...seventeen.

airtran737

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 17):
If they're putting the nice brown leather seats in the CRJs does that mean YX might actually pony up the cash to get proper interiors inside the two new FRJs?

I'm sure that Al has hte seats coming. They pride themselves on their fleet. I can't imagine that they would leave the old cloth ACA seats in those old girls.

SkyexRamper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 19):
can't imagine that they would leave the old cloth ACA seats in those old girls.
The seats are leather, it's just that they are bluish grey and the rest of the interior is ACA. It's totally crummy.

Well can't wait to hear all the angry Skyway pilots since the new flying is to non-union pilots.

[Edited 2006-12-21 17:26:46]

airtran737

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 20):
Well can't wait to hear all the angry Skyway pilots since the new flying is to non-union pilots.

I guarantee you won't be seeing them hitching rides on Skyway planes. There will always be "a weight and balance issue". Pilots don't have to take jumpseaters, and I guarantee they wont go out of their way to take these guys.

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 20):
The seats are leather, it's just that they are bluish grey and the rest of the interior is ACA. It's totally crummy

I stand corrected. Hopefully they do replace them.

Goldenshield

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 21):
I guarantee you won't be seeing them hitching rides on Skyway planes. There will always be "a weight and balance issue". Pilots don't have to take jumpseaters, and I guarantee they wont go out of their way to take these guys.

If they want to throw fits, they are more than welcome. SkyWest has plenty of ways to get in and out of MKE, anyhow—both on DL and UA flight operated by them and mainline. But, as is SkyWest's philosphy, no matter how much Skyway's pilots hate SkyWest, they will always be welcome on SkyWest's planes.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

PVD757

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 13):
Just from the outside looking in, the problem for PVD is gate space.

true, in part. Gate 20 (RJ gate - old Independence Air and Eagle gate) is available. Not to mention that I find it highly unlikely YX would be totally opposed to sharing a (under-utilized) gate for, lets say 2 - maybe 3 flights a day...

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 15):
I can't imagine there being such a market at PVD for us.

why not. PVD is the second largest city in New England (by population) and home to some strong corporations. Textron (owns Cessna, Bell, others), Citizens Bank, CVS, Nortek, GTech, Amtrol, Hasbro, American Power Conversion, and Amica Insurance all are HQ'd in RI. Many other companies have a large and growing presence here too: Fidelity, Bank of America, Met Life, Honeywell, Raytheon, General Dynamics, Amgen, Aramark, and Stanley Works to name just a few. Not to mention the surrounding areas of CT and MA as well as very strong leisure and VFR traffic...

and oh yea, at just oper 50 miles from BOS, there are lots of folks in between PVD & BOS that could go to either airport. Once the new train station and commuter rail opens at PVD, many of those folks will surely find it easier to use PVD.

[Edited 2006-12-21 18:05:22]

mlsrar

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 22):
If they want to throw fits, they are more than welcome. SkyWest has plenty of ways to get in and out of MKE, anyhow—both on DL and UA flight operated by them and mainline. But, as is SkyWest's philosphy, no

Of all of the regional carriers, I've always been partial to OO, especially when you compare them to similar operators...Comair, Mesa, ASA.

In spite of the length, they've managed to make MKE-SLC a pleasant flight, and keeps ST connections out west far more viable. I think YX management made a GREAT choice.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

kstateinALB

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting N917ME (Reply 10):
Think about some cities that are not connected NS to MCI

I could definetly see a city or two here in the NE part of the US get service by OO. There is a market for PVD for service, maybe BUF, ALB, SWF? Its good for YX to have OO do some flying. It will expand their product to more parts of the country.

Kohflot

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:16 am

You can count on at least one flight to an OO maintenance base as well.

Goldenshield, where are those these days? I wouldn't be shocked to see MKE/MCI-COS.
Ask why..

EXAAUADL

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:16 am

Does this mean that YX will begin SLCservice or that OO will open a MX base and crew base in MCI or MKE?

PVD757

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:17 am

BUF and ALB could very well be in the running. I'd also think that BDL is one of the first markets that goes from FRJ's to CRJ's...

Goldenshield

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting Kohflot (Reply 26):
Goldenshield, where are those these days? I wouldn't be shocked to see MKE/MCI-COS.

Per the official press fact sheet:

Chicago, Colorado Springs, Denver, Fresno, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco and Tucson
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

airtran737

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting Kohflot (Reply 26):
Does this mean that YX will begin SLCservice or that OO will open a MX base and crew base in MCI or MKE?

I wonder where the brunt of the RJ flying will come from MCI or MKE? If the open a MX base in MKE they will not have a hangar. There are no hangars available on the field, and little space to build a new one. I am not sure about available space at MCI, but I am sure that there is plenty. One thing I know for sure is the OO pilots will not be welcome in the Skyway crew room.

Kohflot

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 30):
If the open a MX base in MKE they will not have a hangar.

I seriously doubt they'll open another mx base just for these aircraft.. using GS's list, it's just as easy to operate MCI-SLC, MKE-DEN, MKE-COS, MCI-ORD, or even MKE-ORD once a day to get the aircraft to a mx base overnight. Any other work can be done by line mechanics based at MKE or MCI.
Ask why..

airtran737

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:44 am

Just talked to ALPA leadership for AL and it looks like there will be 10 planes based in MCI and 5 in MKE. AL's ALPA official statement will be out shortly.

[Edited 2006-12-21 19:09:08]

vivavegas

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 30):
If the open a MX base in MKE they will not have a hangar. There are no hangars available on the field, and little space to build a new one.

Hmmm, I have seen a big sign on very large one on Air Cargo Way "HANGER SPACE FOR LEASE".

As for MX, SkyWest has the following on it's website -
Maintenance bases (includes line stations)
SKYWEST - ORD, COS, DEN, FAT, LAX, PSP, SLC, SAN, SFO, TUS
Atlantic Southeast Airlines - MCN, ATL, SLC, BTR, SHV, CAE, VPS, MGM

Craig
MKE
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

mlsrar

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Vivavegas (Reply 33):
Hmmm, I have seen a big sign on very large one on Air Cargo Way "HANGER SPACE FOR LEASE".

Really? They spelled HANGER incorrectly on a commercial real-estate sign? I'll have to drive by when I get back in to correct it for them.

I would imagine it would probably be minimal space, and not nearly enough to perform any appreciable maintenance. I would think there would be the possibility of leasing space from ZW? Their hangars off of Howell never seem terribly occupied.

[Edited 2006-12-21 19:12:28]

airtran737

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:11 am

YX still puts planes in that bay, I assume you're talking about the YX hangar. Maybe the county is leasing it out being that YX doesn't own it anymore.

[Edited 2006-12-21 19:14:51]

planespotting

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:42 am

my buddy's at air whisky are dissapointed.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

mke717spotter

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:49 am

Wow Skywest huh? Thats a shocker mostly becuase you didn't even hear about them being in the mix for this.

The aircraft will be painted in the Midwest Connect livery and feature Midwest's brown leather seats, buy-onboard Best Care Cuisine meals, and popular baked-onboard chocolate chip cookies.

checkmark  Great! I guess that answers the question weather they will have onboard YX features. So as of now they are only going to operate 15 and not the maximum of 25?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

airtran737

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting Mlsrar (Reply 34):
I would think there would be the possibility of leasing space from ZW? Their hangars off of Howell never seem terribly occupied.

ZW keeps that thing full at night. I can't imagine they would want to lease anything to the person that beat them out for the contract.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 36):
my buddy's at air whisky are disappointed.

I'm sure many people are. The ZW crew bases are a hard commute for some (specifically ORF), I'm sure many of the crews displaced by the closing of the ATW based were really hoping for this one.

sideflare75

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 35):
YX still puts planes in that bay, I assume you're talking about the YX hangar. Maybe the county is leasing it out being that YX doesn't own it anymore.

That is exactly where they are going. They were in the hangar yesterday looking around. Plenty of room for 1 or 2 RJ's. We only use it once in awhile anyway. Hardest part will be getting them in and out since the ramp outside is used by the cargo guys. That is always a pain.

I'm pretty sure if you look back in time that the county did not buy our hangar. All they did was gaurantee the bonds in case YX couldn't pay. They did not give us any money.

mlsrar

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 38):

ZW keeps that thing full at night. I can't imagine they would want to lease anything to the person that beat them out for the contract.

True, but the incremental revenue, while not terribly substantial, would be something compensatory for the loss.

Quoting Sideflare75 (Reply 39):

I'm pretty sure if you look back in time that the county did not buy our hangar. All they did was gaurantee the bonds in case YX couldn't pay. They did not give us any money.

Correct, it was originally proposed by Scott Walker's administration, up to $8 million in bond-backing.

SkyexRamper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 21):

It'll make for some good convo during my pushbacks.

Yeah, there has been one over at the skyway hanger for about a year. It's probably the current leasing company trying to transfer the lease to someone else to make a quick profit.

N353SK

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting Mlsrar (Reply 40):
True, but the incremental revenue, while not terribly substantial, would be something compensatory for the loss.

All of ZW's RONs at MKE are taken to the hangar for overnight maintenance. Unless OO feels like performing A-checks at high noon it's not an option.

MCOflyer

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:15 am

Congrats to Skywest. OO will do a good job for YX.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

sideflare75

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:31 am

As I said earlier they will be using the Midwest hangar. One of the reasons is that if they had to pay rent and find their own space they would just pass that cost on to YX so why not let them use the empty hangar for free? Works out great for everyone. There's plenty of room in there even if YX needs to stick a plane in there once in awhile. That is assuming the 727 that is being stored in there right now is gone by April.

acjflyer

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:37 am

OO is a great candidate for YX and I think we will all be surprised at what they accomplish.

Quoting Daus (Reply 7):
So what's the scoop on SkyWest? Is it a good operator?

Here are some links to answer your question:

Regional Airline of the year 2004
Nation's number one on time mainland airline 2003:
Nation's number one on time mainland airline 2004:
Nation's number one on time mainland airline 2005:

http://www.skywest.com/about/history.php

http://www.skywest.com/media/04/2-05-04.php
http://www.skywest.com/media/Press%2.../2005/Mar/RegionalAirline_2004.pdf
http://www.skywest.com/media/Press%20Releases/2006/Feb/OnTime05.pdf

They have excellent management and are a well run company.

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:42 am

From an operational point of view, it's interesting that they clearly states that this will be a standalone fleet. Skywest does operate at least one CRJ in "House" OO colors (looks like a widget, actually) that does both UA and DL flying. That clearly won't be possible with these birds.

Does anyone know where the CRJs will come from? Sounds like they'll be redoing the interiors, so the current condition of the birds doesn't really matter.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sideflare75

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 46):
Does anyone know where the CRJs will come from?

From the Skywest press release:

The aircraft operated under this agreement will be sourced from aircraft
previously delivered in the market with SkyWest Airlines utilizing some of its existing CRJ200s.
Delivery dates of additional aircraft, if any, will be determined at a later date.

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting Sideflare75 (Reply 47):
The aircraft operated under this agreement will be sourced from aircraft
previously delivered in the market with SkyWest Airlines utilizing some of its existing CRJ200s.

checkmark 

But is OO's utilization now so poor that they can just pull them from UA and DL flying?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Goldenshield

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 48):

But is OO's utilization now so poor that they can just pull them from UA and DL flying?

Back when OO took on the UA contract in 1998, they had to scrounge around parking lots for Brasilias that met minimum requirements. They managed to find quite a few, but not as many as they had hoped.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos