Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N440ER

RE: Embry-Riddle - Daytona Beach Get's Hit By Stor

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi Everybody,

Decided to use my option of a temporary account in order to post on here, since I am part of the Riddle family and one of the ones affected by what has happened. I guess we can firmly say that this is the worst thing that has ever happened at ERAU, and I cannot even start thinking about how the process of getting back all that was lost will be carried out. However, I am thankful that nobody was hurt, and also thankful that we have such amazing people that will do everything they can in order for our great school to get back on its feet. My deepest respect to everybody in the Aeronautical Science program, which I am part of myself. Let's all help as much as we can.

Adam: I'll probably see you on the 9th of January or so. Contact me if you have any trouble and I'll help out as soon as I can.

Best regards and Merry Christmas,

Maciek Majewski

[Edited 2006-12-26 04:22:09]
"You know, back in my day, sex was safe and flying was dangerous." - Gallup

NASCARAirforce

RE: Embry-Riddle - Daytona Beach Get's Hit By Storm

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:23 pm

Due to all of the ROTC training at ERAU, and an important source of recruiting military pilots, wouldn't Riddle probably receive a lot of Federal help in this case?

corey07850

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 51):
Due to all of the ROTC training at ERAU, and an important source of recruiting military pilots, wouldn't Riddle probably receive a lot of Federal help in this case?

I don't think the ROTC programs would help them any more than if they didn't have them... With ERAU being a private university I can't imagine it getting as much as if they were a state school, but I'm guessing Bush will deem the area a disaster area and open the door for federal aid.

n484er
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:44 pm

Here is a helicopter video over the scene of our school... it's devistating  

http://www.wesh.com/video/10606743/index.html

... many students, including myself may not agree with Embry-Riddle policies and prices. We often argue and feel angry and never stop to appreciate truly what school we have... but no matter how much we might get upset, I'm sure this event will bring our school together and a new sense of pride.

[Edited 2006-12-26 04:47:51]

unoflygirl

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:04 pm

I'm so sorry to all the Embry-Riddle students down there. You'll be in my thoughts. As a fellow flight student, I can't imagine how it would be if something like that happened up here. Good luck in sorting everything out. If there is anything I or my fellow students here in Nebraska can do, don't hesitate to holler.

Karly
"I'm not anxious to die...just anxious to matter"

meister808

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:21 pm

My regards from UND... I'm with the rest of the college aviation folks out there when I offer whatever help I/we can give.

Good luck.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

panam330

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 43):
When would the campus have reopened had this not happened? While I attended, the semester often started relatively late like Jan 10 or so.

As for the campus opening, I don't know. Probably the Monday or Tuesday before classes. The first day of classes was scheduled for Wednesday, January 10.

NASCARAirforce

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:27 pm

I know the one building (forgot what it was called but the pink and white one with few windows on the west end next to the COA) had the TAAM labs in it. I used to go in there to use the TAAM software. That building seemed to have taken a hit, though being that there are a lack of windows may have helped it.

One of the local news stations in Detroit showed Embry Riddle damage on it.

NASCARAirforce

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:32 pm

The student village area escaped damage didn't it, since that was considerably north of the strike area?

How about the dorms near the big main lot near the flightline? I forgot what they were called - but the ones that look like an old two floor motel.

Other than the Sutton Place Apts, that were flattened, and have a lot of Riddle students (since they are relatively cheap for the area), I think most ERAU students escaped personal damage otherwise... other than cars that were parked in the lots.

Mir

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:35 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 61):
I know the one building (forgot what it was called but the pink and white one with few windows on the west end next to the COA) had the TAAM labs in it. I used to go in there to use the TAAM software. That building seemed to have taken a hit, though being that there are a lack of windows may have helped it.

That's the sim building, which contains some very expensive equipment. I'm not sure what the extent of the damage is to that one, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or more of the sims needed to be replaced.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

panam330

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 63):
The student village area escaped damage didn't it, since that was considerably north of the strike area?

I would think so, since it wasn't mentioned in the memo on the ERNIE homepage as one of the areas that was damaged extensively.

How about the dorms near the big main lot near the flightline? I forgot what they were called - but the ones that look like an old two floor motel.

McKay. I live there. Looked relatively untouched from the video, but I may have not seen it clearly.

ATCme

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:19 pm

OMG What an unhappy Christmas present. I don't know what to say. My heart and prayers go out to Riddle and its students. 50 planes is definitely very very very bad and sad. I'm so sorry.

ATCme  santahat + Sad
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

RL757PVD

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:35 pm

Just noticed..DL had a plane take off at 12:55 and the storm was said to have struck around 1:45.....could have been worse... Imagine the tornado picking up a CR7....
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jumpseatflyer

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the regards. Does anyone know the fate of 419? I just got my instrument rating in that plane, kind of personal. Poor machines...

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 33):
On the bright side I guess all the aircraft that were destroyed will be replaced with mainly brand new G1000 aircraft...

OH NO! My beloved dials...

Again, thanks for all the thoughts. With a little time, we will be just fine and back in full swing.

Halcyon

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:50 pm

Hmm, it was the right choice though, Prescott. I was discouraged and told not to go, but I did not want to deal with storms...so, despite the annoynace of living in a rather boring place in the middle of nowhere, I guess it makes it worthwhile. I'm really sorry for all the students at Daytona...it must suck. Rates went up another 4% this semester, and will probably be even higher next.  Sad Hope everyone is well and no one has any problems with their course tracks because of this.

Lucas

NASCARAirforce

Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 63):
Just noticed..DL had a plane take off at 12:55 and the storm was said to have struck around 1:45.....could have been worse... Imagine the tornado picking up a CR7....

From what I heard on the video and read on TV, the rest of DAB wasn't affected by the tornado, just the Riddle ramp and campus. Probably people in the terminal were clueless that a tornado happened until after the fact.

Another thing, if the storm was going on, the plane probably wouldn't have left the gate due to airport rules regarding lightning etc. I assume with an intense storm like this there was a lot of lightning (however the ERAU hailstorm didn't have a lot of lightning).

I am more concerned however with thank God that this tornado didn't hit the terminal because there is a lot of glass in that terminal.

As for me personally if I were still taking classes in January, my stuff wouldn't have been affected due to me being in the Business school at ERAU. Looks like Alphabet Soup escaped the brunt of the damage.

Is anyone beginning to think that the school is cursed somehow?

First you had the hurricanes of 2004 damage the planes...

Then 2005 the hailstorm that literally only affected the same area as this tornado where ERAU campus and ramp was ground zero with golfball size hail, while just a half mile either way they didn't see any hail. The hail also affected the area between the Sutton Place Apartments and ISB.

Had I still gone to Riddle and didn't come home for the Holiday Break, I probably would have gotten a picture of the tornado, or gotten injured in the process (if COA was open). I often went to the 3rd floor balcony of the COA to get photos of approaching storms (like I did for the hailstorm - though forgot camera that day because I had an out of town visitor who wanted to see a Florida Severe storm).

JFKspotter

Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Ugh, Florida sucks. Just give us the semester off.

Good thing I drove home.

Fly2HMO

Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I feel really bad for my DAB colleagues. I'd hate to be stuck in that situation, but gladly nobody was hurt. Hope you guys (and gals) can continue flying with few delays, but from what it looks like, that's gonna be tough...

Then again, I guess this is another good reason for making the PRC campus the main one, the WX is so much better over here, and that is the plan within the next 10 years or so I hear.

sorry   worried 

jetjeanes

Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:55 pm

Isnt there another ER out west somewhere??
i can see for 80 miles

NASCARAirforce

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 68):

Yeah Prescott Arizona.

Still despite the tornado, the hail storm, the hurricanes... I would rather live in Daytona any day than Prescott personally. Doesn't it snow in Prescott in winter?

HaveBlue

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 68):

Prescott, AZ.

tinpusher007

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:16 pm

My poor alma mater...graduated dec 01. I can't believe my eyes! Not a good Christmas for Riddle. God bless the eagle!
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Flaps

Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:42 pm

That really sucks. I flew a few evac flights out of there while a student back in the eighties. It pains me to see those destroyed a/c.

Flaps

Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:44 pm

As an aside, are/were they still flying any of the Cessna 303's down there? I got my multi in 212 and my commercial and instrument in 323.

corey07850

Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 73):
As an aside, are/were they still flying any of the Cessna 303's down there

Nope the Crusaders are all gone in favor of PA-44 Seminoles

pilotaydin

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:58 pm

wow im so sad, word has reached here about the devastation, i can't believe my old school is in such a state....i had so many memories there, and some tail numbers i flew in i saw  Sad
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Revelation

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:18 am

Some of those buildings looked like they were shelled by mortars. It is so fortunate that no one was hurt.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

NASCARAirforce

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting Flaps (Reply 73):
As an aside, are/were they still flying any of the Cessna 303's down there? I got my multi in 212 and my commercial and instrument in 323.

What is a Cessna 303? I know Riddle had 310s at once right? There was one always parked in that hangar next to the one that was completely blown away.

Looks like Travolta's plane made it - that little Canadair Tutor he donated to the school. Looked to be in one piece.

Here is a new video released on Fox 35 news - no reporting, just damage and background sounds:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/My...tId=1874198&version=1&locale=EN-US

apodino

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:51 am

As an ERAU alumni myself, my hearts and prayers go out to the ERAU family. I thank the good lord that this happened during a time when the campus was practically empty and very few people got hurt. Nonetheless, this is going to be a set back to all the students in flight training there.

I also heard the UC and spruance hall took considerable damage as well. Did Alphabet soup hold up or was that damaged as well?

panam330

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 67):
Then again, I guess this is another good reason for making the PRC campus the main one, the WX is so much better over here, and that is the plan within the next 10 years or so I hear.

Really? That would surprise me, especially with the massive renovations they're doing to the campus (which is currently much larger than PRC in terms of students). What's your source?

JFKspotter

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 78):
Did Alphabet soup hold up or was that damaged as well?

From what I hear it held up fairly well. Either way, plans were to have it demolished in the next year or so for the new business building that is currently under construction. However, much of the debris and damage went straight for the construction site so who knows how delayed that project will be now.

Then again, I guess this is another good reason for making the PRC campus the main one

Since when is Prescott the main campus?

Tom in NO

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:35 am

Sad to see.....glad the school had cleared out for Christmas, though.

Tom at MSY (Riddle class of 1982)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Fly2HMO

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 79):
What's your source?

Rumours as usual, but from people pretty high up in management.

Also, I've seen architectural sketches of the master plan for all the PRC renovations, and it looks like PRC will eventually be as big, if not bigger, than DAB in the near future. Since I got admitted, so far they've opened three really large buildings; the academic complex, a gynormous new engineering lab building, and a new visitors center. And construction for the new library just started this fall, and it will be pretty big as well.

Of course, by the time I graduate, most of that will be complete, but I wont be able to use it anyways. Great timing, huh...  Yeah sure

Quoting Jfkspotter (Reply 80):
Since when is Prescott the main campus?

It is not, yet, which is why I said:

and that is the plan within the next 10 years or so I hear.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 60):

McKay. I live there. Looked relatively untouched from the video, but I may have not seen it clearly.

Doolittle is right across from it, over on that part of campus too. Any word on if the new dorm under construction was affected at all?
Though from the looks of the damage and such, it apprears as though the tornado went down Heritage Walkway. The Willie Miller Instructional
Any info. so far on how the Lehman Building made through?

Quoting Jfkspotter (Reply 66):
Good thing I drove home.

checkmark  Same here. Though I do have several friends who left their cars on campus over the break.

Quoting Apodino (Reply 78):
I also heard the UC and spruance hall took considerable damage as well.

The main buildings are still standing, though a lot of the windows have been blown out.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

xjramper

RE: Embry-Riddle - Daytona Beach Get's Hit By Stor

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:04 am

This is directly from www.erau.edu:

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

University Update

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University has begun the recovery effort following yesterday's destructive tornado that caused extensive damage to the Daytona Beach campus.

Damage estimates are being assessed for both buildings and the fleet of airplanes. The university administration is committed to being operational again for the beginning of classes in January. Efforts are already underway to find replacement airplanes for those that were damaged or destroyed, and structural engineers are looking at the various campus buildings to establish which can quickly be repaired and which will be off limits for the present.

The university has a goal of making space available for all classes, establishing working offices for the administration personnel who were housed in Spruance Hall, one of the most seriously damaged buildings, and making sure there is work space for all staff and faculty.I t should be noted that the student resident halls were not damaged in any way.

As clean-up and repair continues, only individuals who are directly involved in that effort will be allowed on campus. Daily updates will be posted at 3 p.m. each afternoon.

Updated 12/26/2006 - 2:00PM ET

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

NASCARAirforce

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 79):
Really? That would surprise me, especially with the massive renovations they're doing to the campus (which is currently much larger than PRC in terms of students). What's your source?

Actually on the second floor of Spruance in the center section near the elevators they showed the plans of the Prescott Campus. It appeared it was going to be bigger eventually than the Daytona campus - as in having more buildings at least.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 83):
The main buildings are still standing, though a lot of the windows have been blown out.

What about the Athletic complex across the street? That, I believe would be in the exact trajectory that the tornado was going if it hit the main hangar, the Sim building, Student Center and Spruance.

panam330

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 85):
Actually on the second floor of Spruance in the center section near the elevators they showed the plans of the Prescott Campus. It appeared it was going to be bigger eventually than the Daytona campus - as in having more buildings at least.

Yes, I know. I viewed them when they were downstairs in the UC, near the information desk. I remember thinking to myself how the Prescott campus was going to be architecturally stunning, whereas the DAB campus is very ho-hum, 'Florida-style' (ie. flat and boring stucco buildings).

xjramper

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 85):

What about the Athletic complex across the street? That, I believe would be in the exact trajectory that the tornado was going if it hit the main hangar, the Sim building, Student Center and Spruance.

According to my roomate...there wasn't much damage to the ICI. But time will tell.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

DeltaRules

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:50 am

Man, this is an awful deal. I'm about 3 miles NW of ERAU & other than maybe 45 seconds of high winds & rain, the storm wasn't that bad. As a result, we had no idea there'd been a tornado until an hour or so later. Central Florida News 13 cut out of their normal news broadcast & stayed with the meteorologist & the live radar from about noon to well after the storm had passed.

I went over to where Sheltair's located at the airport earlier & took pictures across the runway, which I'll try & post later. ERAU's ramp is a gut-wrenching sight. Oddly some planes seem to be untouched whereas others around them are destroyed & have been blown all over the place.

My thoughts go out to everybody affected at Riddle & Sutton Place.  

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 48):
What is Adam Wright going to take pictures of with all those Riddle Cessnas not flying?

Well, DAB is getting those FL 717s in a couple of weeks.  

Quoting Xjramper (Reply 87):
According to my roomate...there wasn't much damage to the ICI. But time will tell.

Other than a big greyish-black piece of debris which was hanging from the Clyde Morris side of the building, it looked to be fine.

DeltaRules

[Edited 2006-12-26 23:08:11]
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

NASCARAirforce

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 88):
DAB is getting those FL 717s in a few weeks.

Plus in Feb there will be Speedweek - lots of corporate and military jets. I will even come up from Orlando for that if I can. It will be my First Daytona 500 with my Canon Digital Rebel. That will be quite an improvement over that piece of $hit Nikon I used the last two years.

N440ER

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:22 am

I'm guessing residence halls closer to Richard Petty Blvd - The Student Village and Doolittle Hall are in good shape? Anyway, looks like many people got the e-mail from Frank Ayers; he says that orders for new airplanes are being reviewed currently. Seems like he is confident that the damage done can be repaired quite quickly. Well, time will tell.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 89):
It will be my First Daytona 500 with my Canon Digital Rebel. That will be quite an improvement over that piece of $hit Nikon I used the last two years.

Hey!!!  Wink

Regards,

Maciek (Nikon Guy)

whappeh

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 89):
Plus in Feb there will be Speedweek - lots of corporate and military jets. I will even come up from Orlando for that if I can. It will be my First Daytona 500 with my Canon Digital Rebel. That will be quite an improvement over that piece of $hit Nikon I used the last two years.

I always forget about that. That seems worth the drive up from Orlando. I'm always struggling to find places to spot around here.  Sad
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

NASCARAirforce

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting N440ER (Reply 90):
Hey!!!

Regards,

Maciek (Nikon Guy)

I got nothing against Nikons in general, when it comes to SLRs and stuff they are good. Just anyone at Riddle who knows me spotting at Speedweek saw the piece of $hit I had. It was a 4 megapixel point and click with no telephoto. I still have it and use it for static displays at airshows, or when I am on a flight taking pictures (easy to hide compared to that Canon). The little Nikon works great on sunny days for close shots. When I go around static displays at airshows I use it so I don't have to take off my tele on my Canon. I was just learning to use the Canon at Pepsi 400, so the shot quality wasn't much better there... but just look at my Daytona 500 pics on myaviation and you will see how bad the Nikon was.

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 91):
I always forget about that. That seems worth the drive up from Orlando. I'm always struggling to find places to spot around here.

Well the only place you can spot really is the Riddle lots during Daytona 500, too crowded everywhere else, and you need either your Riddle parking tag or ID card. The other problem is last two Daytona 500s the planes landed on 7R and 7L so you couldn't get any arrivals, the only thing worth taking pictures of was the choppers that were going in and out landing on Taxiway Echo.

Also the traffic between Orlando and Daytona that day is rediculous. You might want to try an alternate route.

If you lived in Daytona like I did last year and the year before it was nice because Daytona probably is the busiest airport in the country that day.

YWG

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:45 am

Just incase you can't view the photos....

Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

KingAirMan

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:47 am

Can anyone post another link to the pictures, facebook is not bringing them up anymore

kingairman

N440ER

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:01 am

The pictures speak for themselves, I'm just wondering how many feet it could be between row Charlie, where the Seminoles are parked, and the site of the future College of Business. Crazy...

Maciek

corey07850

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 93):

Damn N434ER is where I spent 7 hours on my commercial long XC... she was good to me

N410ER is the plane I flew around the most, and was the last plane I flew down there at ERAU...

N403ER is the plane I passed my final Commercial DE ride in...

Sad pictures indeed  Sad

NASCARAirforce

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:10 am

Any word yet what Riddle may be getting for replacements or leasing? New types or more 172s, Arrows and Seminoles?

Did Riddle sell all the DA-40s? I remember one of them got torn apart by Hurricane Charley back in 04.

Mir

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 97):
Any word yet what Riddle may be getting for replacements or leasing? New types or more 172s, Arrows and Seminoles?

Just more of the same. I would love to see them bring in some DiamondStars and TwinStars, but that would delay students even more, since all the instructors would have to be retrained for them.

There are four types of planes in the fleet - 172s with the NavII package plus ADS-B, 172s with the G1000, Arrrows and Seminoles. I don't know how many of each are salvageable.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JFKspotter

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:28 am

Most likely the same of what they have now- it's easier to replace with more of the same and in order to keep training standarized it's easier as well. No point to switching aircraft types halfway through training.

Did Riddle sell all the DA-40s? I remember one of them got torn apart by Hurricane Charley back in 04.

ERAU sold the CAPT program, including all aircraft, to Flight Training Services International earlier this year.

Quoting Xjramper (Reply 87):

This is from one of the facebook groups, it does not specify who took it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos