Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NASCARAirforce

RE: Embry-Riddle - Daytona Beach Get's Hit By Storm

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:20 pm

At least in this photo ICI Center still looks useable, but what kind of debris do you think put those holes in it? I was always under the impression that it was made out of concrete... so if it is something must have been driven at more than F2 strength to make those kind of holes

Cleco

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:24 pm

Pretty awful timing...if I remember correctly, this is about the time that high school seniors are making decisions about where to go for college
EMBRY-RIDDLE BABY

SpdBrdConcorde

RE: Embry-Riddle - Daytona Beach Get's Hit By Stor

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:17 pm

To All the ERAU Aviation Guys....

My deepest sympathies... sorry 

from me and JU Aviation...

Hang in there fellows...it will turn for the better.. thumbsup  yes 

NASCARAirforce

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:55 pm

I had read somewhere else that the ICI Center does have about a foot of water in it now or right after the storm. Not sure if that includes only the gym area, or the weight room and everything else too.

panam330

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:09 am

Well, the message on erau.edu states that they've delayed classes from the 10th to the 16th, presumably to get the campus back into a working order. The delay of classes is bittersweet  Wink.

JFKspotter

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 103):
I had read somewhere else that the ICI Center does have about a foot of water in it now or right after the storm

The latest WESH report confirms that. It also mentions the possibility of Spruance Hall, the admin. building, being condemned.

n484er
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Jfkspotter (Reply 105):
The latest WESH report confirms that. It also mentions the possibility of Spruance Hall, the admin. building, being condemned.

Do you have a source or a link to it on WESH's website? We got an update from ERAU and they didn't mention anything about it.

Thanks!

RL757PVD

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:58 am

Im pretty sure they will bounce back fairly quickly, with the hurricanes in 2004, im sure they planned for such a scenario, had frances or jeanne struck further north, it would have has a simmilar result (minus the aircraft since they flew them out).

The big problem would have been if the residence halls were affected since hotels and etc are in demand all feb/march. bwteeen DBCC, the ERAU world wide center (behind speedway), and the DAB INTL terminal (CAPT used to teach up there), that should take care of most non-aircraft issues, at least temporarily.... but im sure they have a good/recent plan for extensive campus damage thanks to the 2004/2005 hurricane seasons.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

RiddlePilot215

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:50 am

That would be...nothing short of just amazing...
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

RL757PVD

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting RiddlePilot215 (Reply 108):

That would be...nothing short of just amazing

Im not sure if it was just a rumor, but i thought i had heard reports that it was a "sick building" meaning that it has health issues steming from poor ventilation and construction i.e mold issues prior to this.

ironalically enough two of the things the university's masterplan call for:
New Administration Building (on Richard patty)
New Flightline Complex (COA Phase II)

It should also be a wakeup call to alot of the airlines, esp for places like DFW and IAH. While im sure no a/c would be out flying or taxiing in such weather but can you imagine a tornado at DFW or IAH with all the GSC equipt hitting dozens of aircraft? AA or CO could easily be out 50+ aircraft in a matter of minutes as well. C172s are ALOT easier to find replacemnts than 737s and 757s.

Next edition of "it could happen tommorrow"...?

n484er
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 109):
Im not sure if it was just a rumor, but i thought i had heard reports that it was a "sick building" meaning that it has health issues steming from poor ventilation and construction i.e mold issues prior to this.

ironalically enough two of the things the university's masterplan call for:
New Administration Building (on Richard patty)
New Flightline Complex (COA Phase II)

I've been to this building a number of times and had a Physics class in it freshmen year. The building always seemed a bit old and out-dated but relatively clean.

This could be a blessing in disguise (obviously not for the airplanes) but it should be a strong incentive to start building the new Flight-line and Administrative Buildings... though we already have three active constructions/rebuilding sites. It would make parking and tuition a nightmare even further.

RL757PVD

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting N484ER (Reply 110):
though we already have three active constructions/rebuilding sites. It would make parking and tuition a nightmare even further.

Though these would now be paid for by insurance $$ rather than capital improvement $$. Granted premiums will go up but they could conceivable come out ahead when you figure they were going to build replacements eventually anyways.....

As for aircraft There's 10-15 unscathed proably another 10-15 repairable, if they can get another 20 assorted by the begnining of february (not everyone starts flying on day 1 of the semester) then they should be ok

JFKspotter

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting N484ER (Reply 106):
Do you have a source or a link to it on WESH's website? We got an update from ERAU and they didn't mention anything about it

Sure. http://www.wesh.com/weather/10615190/detail.html on the right, 'web exclusive: tour ERAU damage'.

Of course the update didn't mention anything, they're not going to jump to stuff like this.

Revelation

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 103):
I had read somewhere else that the ICI Center does have about a foot of water in it now or right after the storm.

The video link above used "had", i.e. past tense.

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 111):
Though these would now be paid for by insurance $$ rather than capital improvement $$.

I'm no expert on insurance, but I hope the school did a thorough review of their insurances as a part of their hurricane review. Again, I have no inside knowledge of the ERAU situation, but there are a lot of ways for insurance companies to not pay out in a timely fashion and not pay out full replacement cost. I guess we'll all find out together just how good ERAU's insurance was. I can't imagine how expensive fully insuring all those buildings and vulnerable, expensive aircraft against a tornado would be.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

micstatic

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 113):
I'm no expert on insurance, but I hope the school did a thorough review of their insurances as a part of their hurricane review. Again, I have no inside knowledge of the ERAU situation, but there are a lot of ways for insurance companies to not pay out in a timely fashion and not pay out full replacement cost. I guess we'll all find out together just how good ERAU's insurance was. I can't imagine how expensive fully insuring all those buildings and vulnerable, expensive aircraft against a tornado would be.

I can tell you ERAU will likely face no problem from there current insurance company. There is nothing resulting from events like this that would be excluded in this type of loss, on this type of client. The buildings will fall under a different policy and a different carrier.

Mir

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:22 am

It should also be a wakeup call to alot of the airlines, esp for places like DFW and IAH. While im sure no a/c would be out flying or taxiing in such weather but can you imagine a tornado at DFW or IAH with all the GSC equipt hitting dozens of aircraft? AA or CO could easily be out 50+ aircraft in a matter of minutes as well. C172s are ALOT easier to find replacemnts than 737s and 757s.

What would they do about it though? I guess moving all the ground equipment under cover would help, but a tornado pretty much equates to a really bad day for an airline.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NASCARAirforce

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:54 am

Next edition of "it could happen tommorrow"...?

We had a close call at DTW back in May of 2000. A late evening line of severe storms went through the Detroit area. I was working at DTW when the storms moved in and tornado sirens were going off and I had to take cover immediately.

The Mesaba Airlines hangar on the east side of the facility was hit with either a tornado or a very powerful straight line wind that collapsed a wall and lifted the roof off of the building then dropped it down (keep in mind this is a big hangar like one of the Yelvington hangars at DAB). Tornadoes were seen in the area as well as on radar, though it was never officially explained as a tornado causing it. However, there were several Northwest and other aircraft waiting in queue on the ground - like 50 + waiting for the weather to clear since the storm hit at the time of the big Northwest departure push at DTW. The hangar was only about 2,500 ft away from where the planes were lined up.

RL757PVD

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:53 am

Could have been ALOT WORSE....

From the Daytona beach New Journal

Controllers unaware of tornado, directed jet to land

By MELISSA GRIGGS
BUSINESS WRITER

DAYTONA BEACH -- With a 50-passenger jet trying to land at the Daytona Beach International airport on Christmas Day, air traffic controllers had no idea a tornado was touching down near the runway.

The Delta Air Lines/Comair pilot landed the plane safely, but controllers today criticized a Federal Aviation Administration decision to ban radios from its control towers.

"If controllers had known a tornado was out there, we wouldn’t have let the plane get anywhere near our airport," said Kelly Raulerson, a controller at the airport and local representative for the National Air Traffic Controllers Association.

Controllers are able to pick up precipitation on tower radar, but not tornadoes embedded in the storms, Raulerson said. So, although the National Weather Service issued a tornado warning 20 minutes before the tornado hit Christmas Day, controllers in the tower were oblivious to the danger.

The controllers picked up severe thunderstorms and directed the Comair pilot to head out along the shoreline near Flagler County. They also diverted a small private plane to land at the New Smyrna Beach airport.

When the tornado hit, the airport’s power went out, plunging the radar room into darkness and cutting off contact with the Comair pilot. He called the tower and by then, the emergency generators kicked had kicked in. Controllers directed the pilot to land.

The local FAA manager installed weather radios Wednesday, Raulerson said.

Kathleen Bergen, an FAA spokeswoman, said the agency never has banned weather radios in control towers. She said the FAA banned commercial radios and cell phones in September to eliminate distractions in the towers.

"I’ve been in towers where the music was blaring," she said.

Raulerson said the FAA is showing a "blatant disregard not only for its employees, but for the flying public."

RL757PVD

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:06 am

Looks like it was LGA-DAB Comair 5580 which landed at 1:38pm on 12/25

NASCARAirforce

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 118):
Looks like it was LGA-DAB Comair 5580 which landed at 1:38pm on 12/25

When did DAB get service to LGA?

CVG777

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:27 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 119):
When did DAB get service to LGA?

Its a seasonal thing that was never announced. It is only operating December 21st through January 2nd. Melbourne also has one daily CRJ flight to LGA during the same time, and Sarasota has one daily ER7 flight during the period.

NASCARAirforce

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting CVG777 (Reply 120):
Its a seasonal thing that was never announced. It is only operating December 21st through January 2nd. Melbourne also has one daily CRJ flight to LGA during the same time, and Sarasota has one daily ER7 flight during the period.

As far as I know, that is the first time there has been service between LGA and DAB, because there was nothing like this last year.

Is UA going to be doing the DAB-ORD Sat only flight this winter too?

KFLLCFII

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:00 am

ERAU counts losses at more than $50 million

DAYTONA BEACH - Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University suffered more than $50 million in damage from the Christmas Day tornado that whipped up airplanes and gashed buildings within about 60 seconds, school officials said Thursday.

University President John Johnson said a preliminary estimate puts damage at between $50 million and $60 million. The university is well-insured, he said.

About $11 million of the damage is from 40 airplanes that were destroyed and another 10 that were damaged, Johnson said. Another large chunk will likely be the total loss of the school's main administrative building, Spruance Hall.

"We do not feel it is likely (to repair Spruance Hall)," Johnson said.

Johnson and Thomas Connelly, chancellor of the Daytona Beach campus, gave The Daytona Beach News-Journal a tour showing the extent of the destruction. As a crane hurled hunks of twisted metal into a trash bin Thursday, Johnson said he's been impressed at how much has already been accomplished in the cleanup effort since Monday.

The line of destruction starts at the campus' west edge, where 65 planes had been parked at the Daytona Beach International Airport. Fifteen remain.

Nearby, a maintenance hangar - housing some of the school's most valuable aircraft, including an aerobatic plane and the president's Piper Seneca - collapsed into a scrap heap. The Gill Robb Wilson Flight Center (commonly known as the "Flightline") was also damaged but will be serviceable, Johnson said.

Ironically, the hangar and flightline buildings were to be replaced by a new aviation building, scheduled to be started in March. Those plans remain in place, Johnson said.

Puncture wounds at the Advanced Flight Simulation Center were still being assessed. A hole in that building's roof leaked, and officials are concerned about the extent of water damage to the computers inside. If the building cannot be repaired, the school's MD-90 jet aircraft simulator will have to be moved, Johnson said.

"We are blessed to have had only minimal damage to our academic buildings and no damage to our dormitories," said Connelly, who was appointed by Johnson as chairman of the campus recovery team.

That will allow the campus to reopen Jan. 16, six days after the spring semester's original start date.

The tornado's path continued eastward toward Spruance and across Clyde Morris Boulevard, where the ICI Center, home of the men's basketball team, took a major hit and will likely be closed for months.

The tornado sliced off the roof of one of the baseball field's dugouts and obliterated its scoreboard, depositing baseball equipment into a yard near Ridgewood Avenue, Connelly said.
About 200 people who work in Spruance Hall will be relocated for about two years.

Johnson has moved his office into Corsair Hall, an administrative building on Richard Petty Boulevard.

Ultimately, the plan is to move the president's office into the Worldwide Campus Headquarters, which will be built on the corner of Clyde Morris and International Speedway boulevards. That location has changed from an earlier-announced plan which would have put the headquarters farther south on Clyde Morris as anchor of Embry-Riddle's business park.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...News/Headlines/frtHEAD02122906.htm
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

KFLLCFII

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:34 am

Manufacturers rush to replace planes ERAU lost in storm

DAYTONA BEACH -- The Christmas Day tornado has forced Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University officials to attempt a possibly unprecedented task in the new year -- find 50 working aircraft by the start of classes Jan. 16.

That's because more than three-quarters of the fleet were damaged -- and mostly destroyed -- by the confirmed F2 tornado. School officials estimate the damage to the aircraft at about $11 million alone.

With some 40 percent of students at the university -- about 2,000 in all -- studying aeronautical science and requiring flight time as part of their curriculum, school officials are working the phones. They are negotiating with manufacturers Cessna and Piper while also contacting flight schools that might have planes available for lease.

"It is a daunting task," said John Johnson, the university's president.

"We have been in contact with our manufacturers," he added. "They understand how important it is to expedite that order. They are trying to accommodate us."

Cessna has been "extremely cooperative," according to university spokesman Jim Hampton.

Before the tornado, Embry-Riddle had a standing order for 29 Cessna aircraft that were to have been delivered this summer.

"We are putting the full resources of the company" into helping Embry-Riddle find planes, said Doug Oliver, a company spokesman.

Cessna, based in Wichita, Kan., can't simply increase production, as it orders parts from many different sources.

"To the extent possible, we'll work with them to move delivery positions around to get some moved up," Oliver said.

Ivan Grau, chief flight instructor, said Cessna has also provided the school a list of about 25 flight schools and airplane owners who might have planes available for lease. Many of them are based in the North, where the weather slows down the flight instruction business considerably in January and February.

The school is primarily interested in Cessna 172 and Piper Seminoles, Grau said.

Before the tornado, the school had 65 airplanes. When asked whether the flight department can get by with fewer, Grau was unequivocal: "We need 65."

Tim Brady, dean of the College of Aviation, declined comment, but Hampton later said: "(Brady) is convinced we will have our fleet set for the 16th of January."

Johnson told The Daytona Beach News-Journal on Thursday the school is estimating its overall damage from the tornado at between $50 million and $60 million.

The Volusia County Property Appraiser's Office estimates structural damage at four Embry-Riddle buildings and elsewhere in the county at $25 million. However, that figure does not include damage to other buildings at the campus, its aircraft and interior items such as computers and simulators.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...News/Headlines/frtHEAD01123006.htm
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

NASCARAirforce

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 122):
The tornado sliced off the roof of one of the baseball field's dugouts and obliterated its scoreboard, depositing baseball equipment into a yard near Ridgewood Avenue,

Are you f***ing kidding??? Ridgewood? aka US-1, which is a good 2 + miles east for those who do not know.

Damn that is far.

flyinryan99

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:06 pm

Dang...wish I had a new C172....could lease it out to them for some good $$$. Sorry to hear about all of this, really sucks.

$11Mil to replace those planes...ouch...glad we're not on that account anymore  Wink

RiddlePilot215

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm just wondering, since Johnson mentioned that repairing Spruance Hall might not be financially viable......Where the heck am I going to go for Financial Aid, Career Services, Student Employment, Student Accounting, and my one damn class in that building this semester?

This semester is just going to be AMAZING.....
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

RL757PVD

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting RiddlePilot215 (Reply 126):
I'm just wondering, since Johnson mentioned that repairing Spruance Hall might not be financially viable......Where the heck am I going to go for Financial Aid, Career Services, Student Employment, Student Accounting, and my one damn class in that building this semester?

My guess is those things will be divided amoung the student center, student village and the COA., with exec and non-student things such as alumni relations, bein moved off-site for the time being.

NASCARAirforce

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:06 am

Man and you thought that you were getting the "Riddle Runaround" before...

In all seriousness though...

Doesn't ERAU lease a few buildings that they call "extended campus" over by the NASCAR offices - aka group of offices by the pedestrian bridge on ISB next to the Best Buy, Barnes and Noble.

KFLLCFII

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 128):

Man and you thought that you were getting the "Riddle Runaround" before...

NASCAR'S right...what was once the Riddle Runaround will now become the Riddle MARATHON.

My condolences to you, Robb.  Sad

ramerinianair

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:48 am

I passed my Instrument oral but didn't get my instrument EOC scheduled yet. I'm not happy - it's prob gonna take forever for my to get my rating.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

RL757PVD

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting RamerinianAir (Reply 130):
I passed my Instrument oral but didn't get my instrument EOC scheduled yet. I'm not happy - it's prob gonna take forever for my to get my rating.

Sounds like you will be ok...

January 2, 2007
Daytona Beach Campus Update
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Daytona Beach campus is making excellent progress in its recovery effort following the Christmas Day tornado.

While the damage was extensive to the fleet of airplanes and some campus buildings, the university is on schedule to begin spring semester on January 16 with registration on the 14th.

Some campus departments whose facilities were destroyed in the storm are relocating to other buildings. This is especially true for those persons located in Spruance Hall, the main administration building. The structure suffered tremendous damage and all offices are being relocated.

Classroom buildings suffered less severe damage and it is believed that there will be no shortage of classroom space on campus.

The flight line is reporting that 52 of the 57 planes needed to bring the fleet back up to its required number have been acquired.

Updated 1/2/07 4PM

NASCARAirforce

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 131):
The flight line is reporting that 52 of the 57 planes needed to bring the fleet back up to its required number have been acquired.

And people complained that the fleet paint schemes didn't match before... wooo wait for this.

It will really be hard to tell a Riddle plane now - Gives Adam Wright a whole bunch more planes to take photos of now.

Not sure if I ever seen a Piper Seminole in colors other than Riddle colors, as well as that one maroon and white one.

Did the maroon and white Seminole survive? As well as that red and white Catabria, or whatever that is that no one used?

Mir

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 132):
And people complained that the fleet paint schemes didn't match before... wooo wait for this.

I'm not a fan of the ERAU livery, so I'll be happy to see new colors on the ramp.

Did the maroon and white Seminole survive? As well as that red and white Catabria, or whatever that is that no one used?

I guess this answers that:  Sad

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 122):
Nearby, a maintenance hangar - housing some of the school's most valuable aircraft, including an aerobatic plane and the president's Piper Seneca - collapsed into a scrap heap. The Gill Robb Wilson Flight Center (commonly known as the "Flightline") was also damaged but will be serviceable, Johnson said.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NASCARAirforce

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:29 pm

When I was last on the Riddle Campus in July, the red and white Decathelon or Citabria (get the two mixed up) was parked outside the hangar - I thought the school never used the red one - the blue and white one was usually inside. There was a red and white single engine piper parked there too - I don't know my small aircraft that well, but it was a Piper slightly larger than the Arrows and had a T - tail.

The aerobatic planes - the Pitts or whatever those are, and the Piper Cub I thought they kept at Spruce Creek - unless they are talking about the Decathelon.

JFKspotter

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Did the maroon and white Seminole survive?

Nope.

Don't know who took it.

NASCARAirforce

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:23 pm

It will be interesting to see the conglomeration of colors that will be on the new Riddle Seminoles

ramerinianair

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:51 pm

I will believe half the crap that they claim when I see it next semester.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

NASCARAirforce

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:44 am

Now that I am back in FLA, out in Kissimmee to be exact, I might take a drive to Daytona tomorrow to see the damage first hand.

Are the piles of junked planes still there or have they all been hauled off?

n484er
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 138):
Now that I am back in FLA, out in Kissimmee to be exact, I might take a drive to Daytona tomorrow to see the damage first hand.

Are the piles of junked planes still there or have they all been hauled off?

According to what Frank Ayers has told us, it has pretty much been cleared off. Parking row Alpha is closed. The airport is installing a new security fence. And Riddle flight operations are operating back to normal status little by little. They have also managed to lease most of the fleet back from various schools.

KFLLCFII

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting N484ER (Reply 139):
They have also managed to lease most of the fleet back from various schools.

Would love to see an overview of the flightline...

n484er
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 140):
Would love to see an overview of the flightline...

It is supposibly very colorful, lol.

corey07850

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:23 pm

Im curious if anyone has seen footage from any of the security cameras, or most importantly, the live webcams of the flightline atop the flight sup's office... Those cameras would have had a direct view of the tornado as it destroyed the planes

n484er
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 142):
Im curious if anyone has seen footage from any of the security cameras, or most importantly, the live webcams of the flightline atop the flight sup's office... Those cameras would have had a direct view of the tornado as it destroyed the planes

It would definately be amazing footage  crazy  . The cameras are damaged though and not working right now. But perhaps there is a recording somewhere.

NASCARAirforce

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting N484ER (Reply 141):

I am gonna find out today. Just letting my camera battery charge up and I am driving from Kissimmee, so I should be there around 1pm. Not sure how good of pics I will get with the new fence and also the fact I don't have my truck to climb onto to get pictures over fences.

NASCARAirforce

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting N484ER (Reply 141):

I went up there today. The Seminoles aren't in, supposedly they are coming in Tuesday or Wednesday. There were some new Cessnas though. When did they start painting the 172s with the dark blue tails and gold "Eagle Flight Line" on them? There were a couple of those there. There were some Cessnas that were obviously new but in similar colors to the blue and white Riddle colors, except it didn't say ERAU on it. There was also a brand new 172 there in what looked like factory fresh white, red and black colors.

JFKspotter

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 142):

As far as I know those cameras were live-feed only with no recording capabilities, so there is probably no recorded footage of the tornado hitting.

KFLLCFII

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:38 am

ERAU students return to nearly normal campus

DAYTONA BEACH -- When he heard about the Christmas Day tornadoes that tossed around 50 airplanes and caused an estimated $50 million or more in damage to his school, Theo Ellis didn't think he'd get to campus and be flying right away.

Ellis, a freshman from Kenner, La., just west of New Orleans, knows a little something about devastation. The aeronautical science major at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University saw the devastation of Hurricane Katrina firsthand.

"I heard about it Christmas Day from my roommate. I heard most of the planes got destroyed," he said.

Yet there he was Tuesday, inspecting an airplane he was about to fly as part of his training. About 5,000 students returned to class on a sunny day.

There were a few hints of the tornado's path: Some buildings were patched with plywood. The fleet of planes didn't all carry Embry-Riddle's blue stripes and logo. And Charles Patton, a simulator technical support staffer, worked to assemble three flight training devices in the atrium of the Aviation Building, across from the simulation building that still needs significant work.

Mostly, though, students weren't affected, except for maybe getting an extra week's holiday break.

"It looks like they're doing a good job," said Jeffrey King, a senior majoring in aerospace engineering. "I'm sure there was a lot of debris."

There was.

Yet in three weeks, the university found more than 50 replacement airplanes, repaired windows and other damage in several buildings and relocated the offices of about 125 employees who had worked in the building that sustained the most damage, Spruance Hall. Being Christmas Day, virtually no one was on campus and no one was hurt at Embry-Riddle, although the same storm did produce injuries at other locations in Volusia County.

University spokesman Bob Ross attributed the turnaround to the organization of administrators, particularly President John Johnson and Chancellor Tom Connolly who -- while new in their posts -- bring more than 60 years of experience as university administrators.

Johnson was on the scene the afternoon of the tornado's touchdown. Right away, he appointed Connolly to head up the rebuilding effort. Within hours, they and others were in touch with contractors and airplane manufacturers.

More than 50 planes have been leased, and Cessna has agreed to speed up delivery of an order of new airplanes that had already been in the works before the tornado, Johnson said in an interview in his office Tuesday.

"I would never say this whole thing was a positive," Johnson said. "However, when given a lemon, make lemonade. We have been given an opportunity to improve the look of the campus."

The school is hiring Woolpert Inc. to remake the campus master plan. Johnson anticipates several new buildings and courtyards that will provide a better-looking and more efficient campus.

The fleet of aircraft will also be modernized more quickly.

The school is still in settlement negotiations with its insurer.

Johnson plans to keep a busy travel schedule, flying to the West Coast next week on a 20-city tour he had started before the tornado.

"People want a reason to give," he said. "If they see how they truly do help the institution, they are more likely to give."

So, any first-hand experience from current students that you'd like to share?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos