emalad
Topic Author

Expansion At EMA?

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:53 pm

Does anyone know of any expansion plans at EMA? Or is it just turning into a charter, freight and low cost base?

We have BA connect a couple of times week now which is pleasing.

I wonder if we will ever have more heavies and longer-haul flights?

It would be good to see more movements at the airport, especially after Tollerton is talking about short haul operations.

FCAFLYBOY

RE: Expansion At EMA?

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:16 pm

FCA are starting long-haul flights to the Caribbean, Maxico and Florida in '07

emalad
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:33 pm

What are FCA going to use on the long haul operations? Still think EMA could be a very busy airport. Be good to other operators too.

raffik

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:38 pm

EMA is my local airport and I wish they would do something about the crowded terminal! I know they've revamped it recently (I noticed when I flew from there in October) but during peak times, travelling from there is a nightmare as it is so cramped.

And what's with this silly name thing? Stop confusing people and stick with one name!
- Alec

emalad
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:45 pm

I must admit that I havent flown from there in a while (not just because they put nottingham on the name and i am derby). I would have flown from there on our summer holidays that we have just booked, but for 11 of us it would have cost £2000 more in aiport costs, so we are going from Birmingham.

EZY and FR have done the airport the world of good, bringing in extra passengers and new routes, although it would be good to see some other operators.

Must admit that it was nice seeing the Emirates 777 in when BHX was closed in the summer!

[email protected]

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:02 pm

I'll be living 9 miles from EMA (in Loughborough) from this Sept.

I haven't ever visited EMA, so I'll be sure to do so in Sept or Oct, although I have read that there isn't any real viewing opportunities in the terminal area. How could I go about watching if I don't have a car?

Cheers.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

FCAFLYBOY

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting EMAlad (Reply 3):
What are FCA going to use on the long haul operations

Newly-refurbed 767-300's  Smile

FLVILLA

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 6):
I'll be living 9 miles from EMA (in Loughborough) from this Sept.

I haven't ever visited EMA, so I'll be sure to do so in Sept or Oct, although I have read that there isn't any real viewing opportunities in the terminal area. How could I go about watching if I don't have a car?

Well I'm currently a Loughborough resident and I always drive up to the airport now and again but if your on foot then I suggest the Airport shuttle bus that runs between the town and the airport. I believe it stops at a few other places in-between the town and the airport but it's not a bad way to get to the airport. Once your there you'll just have to have a nice walk around to see where's best for you with regards to spotting.

Are you going to be studying at the University or just coming for work ?
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

[email protected]

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks, FLVILLA.

Quoting FLVILLA (Reply 8):
Are you going to be studying at the University or just coming for work ?

I'll be a student all over again.  Big grin
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

emalad
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:58 am

Be nice to see a few more 767s at EMA. I know there are lots of freight 767s come in but they are mostly at night.

Would be nice to see a 777 or 747 occasionally though lol

noelg

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting EMAlad (Reply 10):
Would be nice to see a 777 or 747 occasionally though lol

There's the weekly Kalitta 747 on Saturdays, as well as other one-off 747 freight movements throughout the week.

To be honest there isn't any real potential for long haul passenger services, as BHX is 20 minutes down the road and MAN an 90 mins away. EMA's found it's market - LCC and charter passenger flights, with freight operations. If you want scheduled you want BHX/MAN/LBA.

emalad
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:31 am

Yes you are right about EMA finding it's market, just a shame we don't get anything bigger in.

I have seen the Kalita 747 fly over Allestree and it looked very imprssive! I thought the Virgin A340 doing circuits looked pretty good the other day too.

Humberside

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 11):
To be honest there isn't any real potential for long haul passenger services, as BHX is 20 minutes down the road and MAN an 90 mins away. EMA's found it's market - LCC and charter passenger flights, with freight operations. If you want scheduled you want BHX/MAN/LBA.

I think there is potential for flights to India/Pakistan

For example, there was an advert for EMA-Islamabad on the website of AeroAsia a few weeks ago. Now this doesn't mean they will start flights - the airport has said nothing. However this does show airlines are interested in long haul scheduled flights from EMA
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

emalad
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:40 pm

I saw the website too. Would be good to have flights to India/Pakistan, but it looked like they would only be using a 767.

At least the airport is busier now and has probably settled on it's new name (at least for a couple of years at least, lol)

Lite

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:48 am

Referencing [email protected], the airline shuttle to EMA from Loughborough is now an excellent service after substantial investment from the airport. It now operates half-hourly during most of the day, and hourly overnight. The service is rumoured to be going 24/7 after additional investment around May. The journey time to Loughborough is about 20 minutes.

The airport has found it's niche with the low-cost airlines, and has grown substantially since their original arrival (bmibaby and Go) in 2002. Most of the expansion for 2007 will come from Ryanair who have already announced massive expansion this year, and First Choice Airways who may well choose to base a 767 here by the end of the year. I'm waiting to see what EasyJet are going to do next, they have obviously re-signed their contract with the airport considering the initial contract with Go was due to end in February. I predict they'll either utilise their extra A319s better or maybe base an extra aircraft.
LCC Lover Lite

aidoair

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:17 am

Does anyone know what aircraft Thomsonfly will be basing at EMA this summer and if a 767 will be based here again as usual and if so which type?

Thanks,
Aidoair Smile

Lite

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:08 am

At the moment Thomsonfly are basing one each of the Boeing 737, Boeing 757 and Boeing 767 at EMA from May 01 2007. I've not been told what type of 737 they have planned, whether it's one of the -300 series or -800.
LCC Lover Lite

emalad
Topic Author

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:40 am

How many other a/c do the other charter airlines base at EMA?

I always wondered how many a/c are parked over night too.

aidoair

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting EMAlad (Reply 18):
How many other a/c do the other charter airlines base at EMA?

I know that First choice base 1x A321, Mytravel 1x A320,
Thomas cook 1x 752 and i think that Air Malta are basing a A320 this summer for XL's operations.

Lite

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:08 am

Just a quick line up of what we can expect from the charters this summer;

- First Choice Airways will base an Airbus A321 here for their short and medium haul operations, and there will be a Boeing 767 here for six days of the week. Next winter the A321 will be replaced by a Boeing 757. There have been rumours they will change their handling agent from Servisair to Menzies.

- Thomsonfly with three based aircraft with a number of routes being flown as a scheduled service ie more than three flights a week.

- MyTravel Airways continue to base an A320.

- Thomas Cook will have a Boeing 757 here again this summer.

- Air Malta will be basing a week long Airbus A320 at the airport, which will replace the flying programme of last year's bmi A320 (that aircraft being used out of LBA this summer.) This seems a significant drop in capacity for XL who had an MD-83 & A320 here week long last summer, with an additional 320 at the weekend.

- bmi regional will use their based ERJ-145 to operate charter flights on Saturdays to Italy and Slovenia.
LCC Lover Lite

ScottishLaddie

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:12 am

BE have slots for 4x daily EDI-EMA for summer 07. Whether it happens or not depends a lot on what happens with the BACON deal I'm guessing.

Lite

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 21):
BE have slots for 4x daily EDI-EMA for summer 07.

I really don't see the point in flybe launching low-cost flights from EMA. We already have Ryanair, EasyJet and bmibaby all competing on flights into Europe, with bmibaby carving out their own decently priced niche on the domestic shuttles up to Scotland and over to Northern Ireland. EasyJet/Go tried to compete with BMI/bmibaby in this market, but found there was too much capacity.
LCC Lover Lite

emalad
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:34 am

Would be good to see another company operating out of EMA though. I have often tried to book a short trip to EDI for the Mrs an Myself and often found that we could get there and not back. Would love to take the kids up for th day too, but the same situation applies.

Lite

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:15 am

I've always found bmibaby to have some pretty good deals up to Scotland. As I said before, I don't think there is room right now for another airline flying domestically from EMA, unless they were opening up new destinations. There isn't room for two airlines on the domestic flights, I think we can survive with one airline flying thrice daily. Now, if baby could only launch ABZ, because T3 fares are astronomical.
LCC Lover Lite

emalad
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:17 am

How often does T3 fly to ABZ? Surely there isn't that much need for it?

dc-10 levo

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:46 am

T3 fly EMA-ABZ three times a day now (was 4). The passenger figures have been quite poor recently so I expect them to drop another flight later this year meaning there will be 2 flights to ABZ and back each day.

DC-10

[Edited 2007-01-08 21:47:14]

Lite

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting DC-10 Levo (Reply 26):
T3 fly EMA-ABZ three times a day now (was 4). The passenger figures have been quite poor recently so I expect them to drop another flight later this year meaning there will be 2 flights to ABZ and back each day.

A few years ago British Midland used to operate Aberdeen thrice daily with a mixture of Fokkers and Saabs if I remember correctly. It's a shame that Eastern aren't doing so well on the route, but the prices are incredibly expensive. Whilst Aberdeen is an oil rich market, there are plenty of people who travel independentally for business, or those travelling to visit friends or for holidays, who simply could not afford the prices that T3 charge. The airline does have a good onboard product and seem to do well in the customer service department, but in today's price sensitive market, product isn't always good enough.

Considering bmibaby fly BHX-ABZ twice daily alongside BA Connect (soon to be flybe) maybe it will be enough for them to consider ABZ from EMA when the sixth aircraft comes.
LCC Lover Lite

BDRules

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 21):
BE have slots for 4x daily EDI-EMA for summer 07

How do u find that information out please

Also, anyone else heard about MAS Cargo starting a service 3 times weekly out of EMA to KUL

Regards

Stu

Spruit

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 11):
There's the weekly Kalitta 747 on Saturdays, as well as other one-off 747 freight movements throughout the week

Not exactly a stunning aircraft tho is it! Wouldn't mind the odd -400 in every now and then, but that's not likely now is it!

Quoting EMAlad (Reply 12):
Virgin A340 doing circuits looked pretty good the other day too.

Unless of course you do flying training out of EMFS, then although this is a lovely aircraft to look at, it REALLY messes up your circuit training! But no more on the weekend, which I suppose is good!

Quoting BDRules (Reply 28):
Also, anyone else heard about MAS Cargo starting a service 3 times weekly out of EMA to KUL

Nothing on their website, although judging by the speed of said website that's probably not surprising!

Spru!
E=Mc2

Ringway

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:52 am

I read in The Flyer (EMA's community magazine) that the airport are to introduce a progressive ban on training aircraft that do not operate from the airport (I imagine they're refering to the likes of Virgin).

I'm not sure if this means an eventual overall ban of non-EMA based airlines, but I'm not sure why they've also chosen to ban training flights on bank holidays too.

emalad
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:15 am

Would be good to see more cargo 747s at EMA, although even better if they were passenger flights lol.

Do MAS cargo operate into any other UK airport already or are they transfering to us?

At last we have a thriving thread about EMA!!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

Lite

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Ringway (Reply 30):
I'm not sure if this means an eventual overall ban of non-EMA based airlines, but I'm not sure why they've also chosen to ban training flights on bank holidays too.

As part of the masterplan the airport authorities have decided to only allow airlines that base aircraft at EMA to conduct circuit training. No matter which airline it is, they will not be able to do so on weekends and bank holidays.

The reason for these increased measures is simple, local people find it a nuisance to have low flying aircraft circling their properties all day, particularly on a day when they are trying to relax. There are remoter airports which would better suit this type of flying, but EMA will continue to carry it out for their customer airlines.
LCC Lover Lite

emalad
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:13 pm

When does this come into effect?

Suppose that means no more Virgin A340s flying over Derby Sad

Spruit

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Lite (Reply 32):
As part of the masterplan the airport authorities have decided to only allow airlines that base aircraft at EMA to conduct circuit training. No matter which airline it is, they will not be able to do so on weekends and bank holidays.

I've not heard about the banning of non airport airlines before? Would have thought this would be less £££'s for the airport as VS seem to utilise EMA quite frequently!

Quoting EMAlad (Reply 33):
When does this come into effect?

It came into effect at the start of the year I believe.

Spru!
E=Mc2

Lite

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:20 am

Thomsonfly definitely not basing a Boeing 767 here in Summer 07, seems to be two Boeing 757s and a Boeing 737 instead.
LCC Lover Lite

aidoair

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting Lite (Reply 35):
Thomsonfly definitely not basing a Boeing 767 here in Summer 07, seems to be two Boeing 757s and a Boeing 737 instead.

I always looked forward to seeing and being able to fly on the 767 at EMA in the summer. I did expect this though with them getting rid of two 762's and having only one 767-300 left in shorthaul config? for the summer.

[Edited 2007-01-22 18:49:33]

Lite

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:54 am

Boeing 767 still going to be here in the form of First Choice's longhaul programme which sees the aircraft based here five days a week, and the MyTravel Airways Boeing 767 for the Mombasa route. Sadly, no 767s any more on shorthaul - the lovely 75s or 73s instead.
LCC Lover Lite

BDRules

Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Ive heard its gonna be 2 737's in the form of 1 x 300 and 1 x 800 for Thomson

Regards

Stu

Lite

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting BDRules (Reply 38):
Ive heard its gonna be 2 737's in the form of 1 x 300 and 1 x 800 for Thomson

That might well be the case, unfortunately the Thomsonfly website and the Thomson brochures do not indicate at this time, the aircraft types that are going to be operated, and they are always subject to change. All that has certainly been confirmed, is that the 767 will not be based at the airport this summer.
LCC Lover Lite

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos